Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Brown eggs or white....

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 43
leethebard

• Total Posts: 6071
Brown eggs or white.... Fri, 01/11/08 8:16 PM (permalink)
Hi...
I know they're supposed to taste the same...but I'm partial to those brown eggs from Rhode Island Red chickens....Has anyone ever niticed a roadfood place using the more expensive Brown eggs???
leethebard

TerrierMom

• Total Posts: 108
    RE: Brown eggs or white.... Fri, 01/11/08 8:23 PM (permalink)
    I am partial to the brown eggs laid by my brother and sister in laws' flock of Barred Rock hens. Also the blue or green eggs laid by their flock of Americauna hens

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17810
      RE: Brown eggs or white.... Fri, 01/11/08 8:37 PM (permalink)
      I laugh when I see the prices for brown eggs. I remember when they had a hard time selling brown eggs -- no one wanted them. My grandfather, who raised chickens, had to give them away or chuck them. Heck, brown eggs were all we had because he didn't have trouble selling white ones.

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6222
        RE: Brown eggs or white.... Fri, 01/11/08 8:51 PM (permalink)
        As I remember in the 50s all you could get was brown eggs at the grocery and white eggs appeared just before easter at a premium. Then it reversed and all you could get was white all the time. Now with the organic craze brown eggs seem to be back as organic at a premium price. I did do a side by side comparison of the standard white egg and an organic brown egg and did detect a richer more satisfying taste in the brown egg both fried and hard boiled but the price was nearly double.

unabashed

• Total Posts: 435
          RE: Brown eggs or white.... Fri, 01/11/08 9:51 PM (permalink)
          I prefer brown eggs I buy them from a local farm a few miles away. jumbos are 1.50 a dozen IMHO they are richer and taste so much better than store bought white eggs.
          Ron

Bluemaxx

• Total Posts: 465
            RE: Brown eggs or white.... Fri, 01/11/08 10:00 PM (permalink)
            I'll take brown as well. Something about them makes me feel like they are more organic.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17810
              RE: Brown eggs or white.... Fri, 01/11/08 11:03 PM (permalink)
              Whenever I see something marked organic I immediately head in another direction.
              Can there be such a thing as an inorganic head of lettuce, or an inorganic bunch of Italian parsley? I don't think so.

Cakes

• Total Posts: 562
                RE: Brown eggs or white.... Fri, 01/11/08 11:07 PM (permalink)
                Nobody has answered the topic, including me.

Cakes

porkbeaks

• Total Posts: 2201
                  RE: Brown eggs or white.... Fri, 01/11/08 11:18 PM (permalink)
                  As long as the egss are equally fresh, there is no taste or nutritional difference between them. Brown eggs, however, are more expensive because the chickens that lay them eat more than those that lay white eggs. pb

LoveMyLab

• Total Posts: 150
                    RE: Brown eggs or white.... Sat, 01/12/08 12:14 AM (permalink)
                    We bought property, inherited chickens and one obnoxious rooster.

There is a difference! Please understand I am entering this from a freshness aspect. The white store bought eggs have a runner white. The yolk is not vibrant yellow orange in color. They are lighter in weight and volume. Eggs run watery when cracked. The taste factor is low. Like tofu, white eggs pick up flavor from others.

Fresh brown eggs have a richer density, they feel heavier when cooking. More substance when chewing them. There is a hint of sweetness. Hens fed a high protein feed and fresh clean water produced more quality eggs. Our hens where allowed freedom during the day and are lots of bugs and slugs. (In Oregon, there are ALOT of slugs). Lots of sunshine or rain depending on time of year.

We had ducks and geese, now we are talking really great eggs! But that is for another time.

I have bought brown eggs from the supermarket and whole foods/natures type stores.

In my humble opinion, they are no better then white eggs.

Personally I think, by the time they are packaged and sent to market, then sit waiting to be bought, they loose freshness and vitality.

The expense to have hens and do it properly outweighed the cost of having hens and cleaning their coop.

Laura

Jimeats

• Total Posts: 3175
                      RE: Brown eggs or white.... Sat, 01/12/08 8:44 AM (permalink)
                      I was led to belive that brown eggs are pretty much a New England item.
                      There is a commercial from the local egg council here that states
                      "Brown eggs are local eggs and local eggs are fresh eggs"
                      I'm not sure if the taste is different white vs brown but commercialy raised and farm raised are like night and day.
                      A local farm raised egg the youlk is much richer in color and flavor, I'm sure it's all in the feed. Chow Jim

RubyRose

• Total Posts: 2187
                        RE: Brown eggs or white.... Sat, 01/12/08 9:07 AM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by leethebard

Hi...
                        I know they're supposed to taste the same...but I'm partial to those brown eggs from Rhode Island Red chickens....Has anyone ever niticed a roadfood place using the more expensive Brown eggs???
                        leethebard

I haven't ever noticed the color of the eggs before they're cooked.

I alternate buying brown and white shelled eggs so I know which ones are oldest and should be used up first. The browns are 8 cents more per dozen where I buy them.

MilwFoodlovers

• Total Posts: 3090
                          RE: Brown eggs or white.... Sat, 01/12/08 9:15 AM (permalink)
                          I was told by a farmer that what the chicken eats and not the shell color is what makes some eggs taste better than others. Reading these posts seem to re-affirm that. GIGO

hotdogger

• Total Posts: 88
                            RE: Brown eggs or white.... Sat, 01/12/08 9:33 AM (permalink)
                            Brown hens lay brown eggs and white hens lay white eggs.
                            Brown eggs cost slightly more because brown hens eat more food to lay an egg.
                            That's what I heard.
                            Oh, and I like brown eggs just because they are uncommon.

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6222
                              RE: Brown eggs or white.... Sat, 01/12/08 10:10 AM (permalink)
                              quote:
                              Originally posted by Cakes

Nobody has answered the topic, including me.

Cakes

You are right. It is a hard question to answer because I never see the actual egg and shell in a restaurant. I only see what is on my plate. With blind tasting I doubt I could tell you or even guess whether an egg came from a white shell or brown shell.

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4895
                                RE: Brown eggs or white.... Sat, 01/12/08 10:28 AM (permalink)
                                quote:
                                Originally posted by MilwFoodlovers

I was told by a farmer that what the chicken eats and not the shell color is what makes some eggs taste better than others. Reading these posts seem to re-affirm that. GIGO

As I understand it, the above post by MilwFoodlovers is quite true.
                                And, to add, the color of the yolks are also determined by what the chickens eat. If you have ever been to Europe and noticed how the egg yolks are so deeply orange in color, it's probably because the chickens there eat marigolds.

jman

• Total Posts: 1275
                                  RE: Brown eggs or white.... Sat, 01/12/08 11:03 AM (permalink)
                                  quote:
                                  Originally posted by hotdogger

Brown hens lay brown eggs and white hens lay white eggs.
                                  Brown eggs cost slightly more because brown hens eat more food to lay an egg.
                                  That's what I heard.
                                  Oh, and I like brown eggs just because they are uncommon.

And brown cows give chocolate milk.

tmiles

• Total Posts: 1908
                                    RE: Brown eggs or white.... Mon, 01/14/08 3:50 PM (permalink)
                                    IMO, fresh eggs are better, and freshness is more important than color. I am considering the addition of some Maran hens to my flock. (think"...3 french hens", this breed from France is said to be the chicken in the song). These birds produce a mahogony brown egg that is so dark it looks like it has been colored. I have never eaten one, but I am told that they will ruin me for all other eggs. We will see.......

And yes. I do see brown eggs being used at Roadfood type places. Sometimes, at least around here, they can cost the same as white.
                                    Todd

Sundancer7

RE: Brown eggs or white.... Mon, 01/14/08 6:14 PM (permalink)
                                      My opinion only. I cannot tell the difference in either egg.

Paul E. Smith
                                      Knoxville, TN

wheregreggeats.com

RE: Brown eggs or white.... Tue, 01/15/08 10:35 AM (permalink)
                                        White, brown or even green or splotchy ... Fresh is best!

Also, I am not sure brown eggs cost more everywhere -- especially in New England.

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6071
                                          RE: Brown eggs or white.... Tue, 01/15/08 10:37 AM (permalink)
                                          Hi,

Asked a local farmer..and they agreed it's what the Chicken eats...I still stand by my opening statement....I like brown eggs....perhaps our local farm uses great food!!!!!

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4895
                                            RE: Brown eggs or white.... Tue, 01/15/08 12:36 PM (permalink)
                                            quote:
                                            Originally posted by leethebard

Hi,

Asked a local farmer..and they agreed it's what the Chicken eats...I still stand by my opening statement....I like brown eggs....perhaps our local farm uses great food!!!!!

I agree as well.

MissKitty

• Total Posts: 292
                                              RE: Brown eggs or white.... Tue, 01/15/08 5:08 PM (permalink)
                                              I like brown eggs purely for aesthetic purposes but there is absolutely no difference in taste or freshness because of the shell - taste comes from the diet, and a matt looking eggshell contains a fresher egg than a shiny looking one ( don't ask me the science behind that one cos I don't know ! )

I sometimes get my eggs from a friend who has a whole range of egglaying feathered friends in her huge garden - they come in all sizes and coliurs and never taste anything less than delicious !

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a35/kittyscarlet/kitchen/eggs2.jpg

ayersian

RE: Brown eggs or white.... Wed, 01/16/08 12:20 AM (permalink)
                                                My father always bought brown eggs, claiming that they tasted better than white. I know I couldn't tell in a taste test, but now I buy them, too...but had almost forgotten why I did until this thread! Chris

Sundancer7

RE: Brown eggs or white.... Wed, 01/16/08 6:17 PM (permalink)
                                                  I have seriously considered buy a small coop for four female chickens which I understand will lay without the presence of a rooster. The website that I contacted indicated that the first year, the chickens will lay 300 egg.

At the present time, my female ugly dog will not allow any animals but she is 11 years old. I am not in a hurry for her to leave but when she does, I believe I will buy one of these small coops and acquire a couple of female chickens sans rooster. My neighbors will probably appreciate that.

That will be a new experience for me. I will get automated feeders and watering systems for them.

Paul E. Smith
                                                  Knoxville, TN

Mossman

• Total Posts: 40
                                                    RE: Brown eggs or white.... Thu, 01/17/08 12:01 PM (permalink)
                                                    Brown eggs are kinda like the milk in a "Light Blocking" bottle. Thicker shell and denser pigment help keep the eggs longer. Doubt the flavor itself is much different, just white eggs spoil quicker.

MR.JOHANN

• Total Posts: 3
                                                      RE: Brown eggs or white.... Thu, 01/17/08 7:21 PM (permalink)
                                                      BROWN EGGS is still the best for me

jellybelly

• Total Posts: 18
                                                        • Location: Winchester, KY
                                                        RE: Brown eggs or white.... Fri, 01/18/08 9:22 PM (permalink)
                                                        My daughter uses brown eggs in her cafe for hot browns, very good!

gofoodracer

• Total Posts: 27
                                                          • Location: North Palm Beach, FL
                                                          RE: Brown eggs or white.... Tue, 01/22/08 10:29 PM (permalink)
                                                          quote:
                                                          Originally posted by unabashed

I prefer brown eggs I buy them from a local farm a few miles away. jumbos are 1.50 a dozen IMHO they are richer and taste so much better than store bought white eggs.
                                                          Ron

I will assume this is because farm fresh eggs are not pasteurized as store bought are.

Brian

JakerDog

• Total Posts: 204
                                                            • Joined: 10/23/2007
                                                            • Location: BEACH, NJ
                                                            RE: Brown eggs or white.... Wed, 01/30/08 4:34 PM (permalink)
                                                            quote:
                                                            Originally posted by TerrierMom

I am partial to the brown eggs laid by my brother and sister in laws' flock of Barred Rock hens. Also the blue or green eggs laid by their flock of Americauna hens

Man that sounds like some nice Fly tying materials to me!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 43

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com