The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Browning sausages

debv

• Total Posts: 16
Browning sausages Sat, 10/20/12 2:37 PM (permalink)
Hello,  Would anyone know how to brown sausages (pre-cooked) other than a flat grill or griddle?  I'm thinking like a rolling hot dog thing like at 7-11, but since sausage are curved I cannot use one of those.  Any ideas?  Thx  :-)

jcheese

• Total Posts: 739
    Re:Browning sausages Sat, 10/20/12 3:10 PM (permalink)
    A torch?

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7762
      Re:Browning sausages Sat, 10/20/12 4:01 PM (permalink)
      Try a skewers straight through using a sausage with the least amount of curve you can find. Test it before you run out and get a roller.

debv

Re:Browning sausages Sat, 10/20/12 4:10 PM (permalink)
        Hi CC, thanks for your suggesstion...lol...jc, thanks for yours too, but this will be inside a van.  :-)
        CC, I found on line a hot dog roller that has like wire shelves.  You just lay the hot dog...or in my case, sausages, and then they roast.  I'll have to be very careful of grease from the sausages though, and clean the bottom try often.  Thanks again, Deb

CCinNJ

Re:Browning sausages Sat, 10/20/12 4:17 PM (permalink)
          Yeah...it might get a little juicy on ya.

But it can be straightened out. I do it with kielbasa. Lay the palm of your hand on the top part (with the curve towards you) hold it down and start pokin'. Just go straight...or there goes your hand.

Good luck! See I hate sausage and there's my good deed for the day...if it works.

brickboo

• Total Posts: 330
            Re:Browning sausages Sat, 10/20/12 4:42 PM (permalink)
            Deborah,
            I'm just curious. Why not have a grille installed in your van?
            Also, if you have burners, there's a $47 stainless grill at Sam's. It seems pretty heavy for the price. It works on a BBQ grille too.

debv

Re:Browning sausages Sat, 10/20/12 9:19 PM (permalink)
              Hi Brinkboo,  I'm in Calif.  If I put a griddle then I have to install a mechanical vent.  I don't think I'll have to if I use an enclosed HD type of steamer.   My fingers are crossed  :-)

pnwchef

• Total Posts: 2249
                Re:Browning sausages Sat, 10/20/12 9:55 PM (permalink)
                  Johnsonville makes these for the roller grill. There are also a few other companies that make sausage for the grill. I think in most cases they are called grillers......You may want to contact Johnsonville to see if they have a program for their sausage....

debv

Re:Browning sausages Sat, 10/20/12 10:25 PM (permalink)
                  Funny you should mention Johnsonville....they are my favorite sausages.   I've also did not make the connection that was the reason the sausages are straight...lol...thank you very much!!

pnwchef

Re:Browning sausages Sun, 10/21/12 8:48 AM (permalink)
                    take a look at Johnsonville merchandisers, I saw one of these at a Portland Oregon C store, it looked real nice. You don't need all the bells and whistles, but this will give you an idea of the signage ..............If you need any help, let me know..............pnwc

Johnsonville
                    <message edited by pnwchef on Sun, 10/21/12 8:58 AM>

debv

Re:Browning sausages Sun, 10/21/12 12:04 PM (permalink)
                      Thanks for the link chef.  I like the Nimco Brand quite a bit and will look into a bit more when I'm up and running.  I'd like a bun warmer too...but they are very expensive!  maybe I can rig up some sort of a simple enclosure over the grill area for the buns.  I also really need to figure out how many sausages I might sell at a special event, and how long it takes for the roller grill to grill the sausage. And of course, I've only got a 2500 watt generator and a few other things will be plugged in, although not all will be in use at the same time.  Maybe I can go battery with this, but I've heard heat like items are difficult with batteries.  Thanks for the info though.  I got a few moths yet until I can open...just in time for Spring.  Thx again...Deb  :-)

pnwchef

Re:Browning sausages Sun, 10/21/12 4:51 PM (permalink)
                        Hi Deb, the warming draws are real high cost. The Drofbbq (Jack) has found some on line. I'll ask him to stop into your past and give you a bit of info on where he got his warming draws. He may also give you a few pointers on a better way of doing it........a lot of vendors don't heat the roll, unless you think its necessary, it could save you money not to.
                           I have used a roller grill years ago when I set up a food service for a Water Park operation. It takes a while to heat the dogs/sausage for service. You will load the grill about 45 minutes before they are needed, then replenish food items from the top, you then move the cooked product down. This gives time to cook the new added products, while having the cooked at the front of the grill for serving...........take care..pnwc

debv

Re:Browning sausages Sun, 10/21/12 6:34 PM (permalink)
                          Thanks for all the good info Chef.  Does it really take 45 mintues to roast a sausage on the roller?  kinda long time...

BpCBlake

• Total Posts: 436
                            Re:Browning sausages Sun, 10/21/12 7:43 PM (permalink)
                            debv

Thanks for all the good info Chef.  Does it really take 45 mintues to roast a sausage on the roller?  kinda long time...

I would think so, I think they are made more to hold hounds at a temp then quick heat them. sort of a hot display thing.

debv

Re:Browning sausages Mon, 10/22/12 9:29 AM (permalink)
                              On the Nimco website, there's a drawer type of thing that I believe is called a cook and serve?  Something like that...  Anyway, it shows the hd's or/and sausages laying on a single layer.  I guess you just put your food in it, it heats it up and then maintains temp.  I don't think it can also brown them, but it looks like a good option.  What are your thoughts on that?  It appears to hold quite a lot, and might be safer for driving purposes.

pnwchef

Re:Browning sausages Mon, 10/22/12 10:14 AM (permalink)
                                Hi Deb, this is from ( Dr of BBQ )
                                If I were her I'd buy a standard warming drawer built for home use and the roller separate.
                                It depends on where she lives, but here is a great buy if you can arrange shipping.
                                http://www.ebay.com/itm/W...mp;hash=item4abd590bee
                                Is Deb looking for one of these
                                Hot Dog Bun Warming Drawer Star #SST-25 120V Electric Commercial NSF
                                http://www.ebay.com/itm/H...mp;hash=item27cb4b0f42

The other drawer you were talking about is build to go under the grill and used as a warmer. It can be used as a cook/hold.

Heat & Hold Rethermalization Drawer Keep up with demand in those pressure-cooker, high-volume traffic situations that send your Roller Grill into hyperdrive. Place this smart, compact retherm drawer right under your grill, so you can heat your roller grill items for immediate sale and take away the “grill in process” tags. Two adjustable bimetallic thermostats and a 0-60 minute timer work together to create an automatic cook-and-hold cycle. Stainless steel construction and easy-cleaning features promote service life. Roller Grill must have 4” legs for the retherm drawer to fit under grill. Stands are available for Roller Grills without 4” legs.

Key Features

• All stainless steel construction
                              • Sliding-panel access to the two separate heat and hold thermostats
                              • Lighted power rocker switch
                              • ¼” rubber feet grip the counter surface for stability
                              • Drawer slides open and shut smoothly and is easily removed for cleaning
                              • 0-60 minute timer  
                              •  
                                  CCinNJ

Re:Browning sausages Mon, 10/22/12 10:36 AM (permalink)
                                  Deb...what else is on the menu?

What other type of equipment will you have to support those other items?

What venue will you be serving?

Both event or street business...you will be in a very different circumstance (larger expectations/higher prices/less additional support of equipment) vs. a place like 7-11...where the hot dogs are not ready (they roll 24/7) there are Taquitos wings pizza and whatever else they have in the cases....cheap as chips.

If sausage and hot dogs are going to be your bread & butter...

You must make sure you have the equipment to keep yourself out of the weeds (people don't wait a long time) and keep yourself out of the poor house ( if you have very limited means to produce limited numbers...those limited numbers have to pay the bills).
                                  <message edited by CCinNJ on Mon, 10/22/12 10:46 AM>

pnwchef

Re:Browning sausages Mon, 10/22/12 10:44 AM (permalink)
                                    Deb, if your working with a small van ad don't want to spend the money on Hood, fans,  and grills, why not bring the party outside the van. You could have people walk up to the van, get their drinks and whatever and walk over to a Char grill that would have the sausage/hot dogs coming off with a  nice char look. There is a Sausage shop in Portland Oregon that makes their own sausage and hot dogs. They have  a grill set up outside the shop offering sausage and hot dogs with a nice grilled char taste.

This would take two people working an event. Doing it this way, would put you in a position to serve a top quality sausage that would have people coming back for more. When Dr of BBQ comes in, ask him adout our thoughts on (Fire and ice) Smoke and fire) that will get him going.

CCinNJ

Re:Browning sausages Mon, 10/22/12 11:26 AM (permalink)
                                      Research the limitations as far as the clam shell/ panini grill & induction cooker that's found in the exemption section to the exhaust ventilation codes of California. That's all mentioned.
                                      <message edited by CCinNJ on Mon, 10/22/12 11:45 AM>

bartl

• Total Posts: 1209
                                        Re:Browning sausages Mon, 10/22/12 4:38 PM (permalink)
                                        debv
                                        Funny you should mention Johnsonville....they are my favorite sausages.   I've also did not make the connection that was the reason the sausages are straight...lol...thank you very much!!

And, most of the time, they are less expensive (per pound) than the LCD brands of hot dogs (like Ball Park and Oscar Meyer). Although they have gone from 6/lb to 6/14 oz. in the consumer packages....

Bart

debv

Re:Browning sausages Mon, 10/22/12 10:59 PM (permalink)
                                          Hey all...thanks for all of the helpful info.  Here's what I plan on doing with a bit of background.
                                          I am using a ford e250 van extra long with a bubble top.  Calif has very strict food laws which I've had to work around given the size of the van.  I had planned on opening a regular food truck with really good hot sandwiches, but it all just became too expensive plus space was very limited, so I've settled on a specialty truck...Shave Ice.  I'd like to add sausages to my menu.  I love sausages...and I love them grilled.  Hot dogs can be grilled, boiled or steamed which is a lot easier...but for me, grilled sausages are like a treat.  Calif law states I can't cook outside the van unless it's a special event, which then requires a special permit.  I would like to be able to broil or grill without installing a mech vent.  Also, the vent needs to have a fire suppressent system installed.  It's all very expensive and large for my van.  A bit of money a larger van would be much better  :-).  I believe I understood the Cal Code to read  I can have a hot dog steamer without the vent system.  I am not beyond setting up a type of roaster, but it will have to be on the QT I think.  All I know is, when the State Inspector shows up I'm gonna have very limited equipment installed....just enough to get my permit.  I live a mile from where the new 49er statium is going up.  It's quite a sight...there's like 5 cranes working.  Then a new staduim for the San Jose Earthquake soccer team has just broken ground.  Plus there's all the techies in the afternoon that need a break.  The sausages might not be a daily thing, or it might be...I haven't really decided yet.  I'm kinda rambling...sorry.  So, a sausage roaster inside the van would be ideal.  However, for the sake of convience I could just steam hot dogs.  So there it is...lol.

CCinNJ

Re:Browning sausages Mon, 10/22/12 11:27 PM (permalink)
                                            Are you ok with the amount of sinks you will need...for the shave ice?

Someone else in the other section mentioned the shave ice/sink but I can't remember if that was also an additional add-on issue related to coffee equipment.

Research the way you will need to work around the sausage issue. There is some mention in the code about an exemption for panini grill...but it's written in a way that you need to ask about maximum temperature for certain equipment (250) limit of 2 (clamshell or panini) and not 100% clear as it is written.

You may love sausages but it could possibly be so difficult/costly/serve fresh/avoid loss/keep up/achieve/maintain (within a quick timing window)...you may start to lose that feeling. Also...when you say shave ice...I'm not sure how many people would respond....& sausage....of course!! Like hand & glove. Not really.

chefbuba

• Total Posts: 1955
                                              Re:Browning sausages Tue, 10/23/12 12:08 AM (permalink)
                                              debv

Hey all...thanks for all of the helpful info.  Here's what I plan on doing with a bit of background.
                                              I am using a ford e250 van extra long with a bubble top.  Calif has very strict food laws which I've had to work around given the size of the van.  I had planned on opening a regular food truck with really good hot sandwiches, but it all just became too expensive plus space was very limited, so I've settled on a specialty truck...Shave Ice.  I'd like to add sausages to my menu.  I love sausages...and I love them grilled.  Hot dogs can be grilled, boiled or steamed which is a lot easier...but for me, grilled sausages are like a treat.  Calif law states I can't cook outside the van unless it's a special event, which then requires a special permit.  I would like to be able to broil or grill without installing a mech vent.  Also, the vent needs to have a fire suppressent system installed.  It's all very expensive and large for my van.  A bit of money a larger van would be much better  :-).  I believe I understood the Cal Code to read  I can have a hot dog steamer without the vent system.  I am not beyond setting up a type of roaster, but it will have to be on the QT I think.  All I know is, when the State Inspector shows up I'm gonna have very limited equipment installed....just enough to get my permit.  I live a mile from where the new 49er statium is going up.  It's quite a sight...there's like 5 cranes working.  Then a new staduim for the San Jose Earthquake soccer team has just broken ground.  Plus there's all the techies in the afternoon that need a break.  The sausages might not be a daily thing, or it might be...I haven't really decided yet.  I'm kinda rambling...sorry.  So, a sausage roaster inside the van would be ideal.  However, for the sake of convience I could just steam hot dogs.  So there it is...lol.

Not a good way to start out in foodservice.......Don't Eff with the health dept, they don't take kindly to it.

debv

Re:Browning sausages Tue, 10/23/12 10:02 AM (permalink)
                                                Buba, Yes, I know...that's why I'm still on the fence about selling them at all.  I might only do special events. 
                                                Hi CC...NJ is a lot different than Calif.  If you mention Shave Ice here people get excited.  Did you know Maui is called the California Island because so many of us go there?  I agree sausage and shave ice are two entirely different things, but I never intended them to be a menu match.  Again, this is why special events might really be the way to go...and then hot dogs might just be it.  They are so easy, ya know?  I'll look over the code again about panni grills and clamshells...what is a clamshell byw?  like a waffle iron? 

CCinNJ

Re:Browning sausages Tue, 10/23/12 10:33 AM (permalink)
                                                  I didn't mean shave ice does not fit. I meant people don't think of sausage with shave ice...as a combo. Sometimes loving something is the worst reason to put it on the menu.

I know California. My Sister owns the Mc Donald's in Tehachapi. My parents split time between here & there. I know how through the HD is in California as well.

Don't take any chances in business. Between the competition...the folks who might have had a thought to get in the business (but these details stopped them) and the folks...they'd get you mighty fast.

Foodborne Wellness

• Total Posts: 23
                                                    Re:Browning sausages Tue, 10/23/12 5:52 PM (permalink)
                                                    Hiya Deb, I too am Californian.  I have found that you need to read every word of CalCode, plus Santa Clara County, plus the city of Santa Clara since that is the area you wish to do business with. That is just for the Health dept related items. Each one will explain the hierarchy of which takes precedence when. The sum of those regulations defines the physical requirements of your vehicle. In my county hundreds of ice cream trucks became obsolete overnight when a minimum inside height was slid in at the county level, and all freezers were required to be "approved for commercial use" at the CalCode level. In my county (Sacramento) shaved ice and hot dogs are two different categories. The County's rules under the Hot Dog category specifically state that you can't sell from any other category on the same Mobile Food Unit.

And that is just the health dept. requirements. Various other applicable "business / code / planning dept" regulations also exist. things like only being able to stay in one spot for so long, how close to other types of businesses or schools you can stop (if at all), Whether or not you can sell on public property, hours of operation etc.

debv

Re:Browning sausages Tue, 10/23/12 6:50 PM (permalink)
                                                      Thanks for writing Wellness.  You brought up a good point...the category items.  A new thing Santa Clara C o. has now, is the door between the seats to the back needs to be self-closing.  The window also needs to be self-closing.  I am installing a 3 bay sink, so I kinda thought that would allow me to serve what ever combo I wanted.  It's coming along, but it's taking a long time.  I should have it done by April...lol.  You know our hot dog carts need to be enclosed with 3 bay sinks now?  Amazing....
                                                      Wellness, what do you sell on your truck?  (assuming you have a truck)

CC...Northern Calif is very different than Southern Calif.  I live in the Silicon Valley and there's a million people in San Jose alone...there's probably a total of 3.5 million in this area.  I don't believe they'd eat Hot Dogs for lunch, but at an air show or a surfing competition...like a captive audience.  :-)  I'm just trying to think of stuff and I like to cover all bases if I can.  Thanks for all the good advice though...

DadsDogs

• Total Posts: 629
                                                        • Location: Las Cruces, NM
                                                        Re:Browning sausages Sun, 10/28/12 1:51 AM (permalink)
                                                        debv

Thanks for the link chef.  I like the Nimco Brand quite a bit and will look into a bit more when I'm up and running.  I'd like a bun warmer too...but they are very expensive!  maybe I can rig up some sort of a simple enclosure over the grill area for the buns.  I also really need to figure out how many sausages I might sell at a special event, and how long it takes for the roller grill to grill the sausage. And of course, I've only got a 2500 watt generator and a few other things will be plugged in, although not all will be in use at the same time.  Maybe I can go battery with this, but I've heard heat like items are difficult with batteries.  Thanks for the info though.  I got a few moths yet until I can open...just in time for Spring.  Thx again...Deb  :-)

Best forget a roller grill if you're looking to do special events.  The demand for dogs/sausage is too high. Good Luck whatever you decide. DD

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9575
                                                          • Location: Gilbert, AZ
                                                          Re:Browning sausages Sun, 10/28/12 2:31 AM (permalink)
                                                          debv

A roller grill won't "Roast" anything. All they do is heat up the product. They don't "Brown" anything either because they don't get hot enough to cause a casing to sear and brown. If you leave product on one too long, all it does is get dark and shrivel up into a wrinkled tube of nothingness!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                            • No New Messages
                                                            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                            • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                            • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                            • Read Message
                                                            • Post New Thread
                                                            • Reply to message
                                                            • Post New Poll
                                                            • Submit Vote
                                                            • Post reward post
                                                            • Delete my own posts
                                                            • Delete my own threads
                                                            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com