The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Bubba Gump Shrimp Co

doulasc

• Total Posts: 45
Bubba Gump Shrimp Co Mon, 11/14/11 8:40 PM (permalink)
[Helpful answer received] / [List Solutions Only]
Lets try this again and it is now posted in Chains. Has anyone here eaten at Bubba Gumps and how was it. The restaurant chain is based on the Movie Forrest Gump. I have never eaten in one since there are non in Ohio. Over the years they have made changes to their menu.You use to be able to order shrimp and seafood from their website to be delivered to your home but they stopped that.However you can still get t-shirts and glassware etc.

mar52

• Total Posts: 7595
    Re:Bubba Gump Shrimp Co Mon, 11/14/11 8:52 PM (permalink)
    [This post was marked as helpful]
    Thank you for reposting.

I have eaten there.  It's located right across the paid parking lot from the Long Beach Aquarium.  I was with friends.  I won't eat there again.

I ordered shrimp three ways.  You'd think they'd get one of them right.  Too greasy and overcooked.

I did buy a bottle of their hot sauce on the way out.  I'm sure it's made by someone else, but I liked the flavor.

bartl

• Total Posts: 1208
      Re:Bubba Gump Shrimp Co Mon, 11/14/11 11:18 PM (permalink)
      I ate at Bubba Gumps when visiting the Universal Studios theme park in Orlando. The food was above average for chain restaurants, but my wife and I were lucky that we were splitting both dishes, because when they came, one of the dishes was not what we ordered, so the waiter had to take it back, and it was about 10-15 minutes before we got served the correct dish. If we were not sharing, this would have meant that either we would have had to eat separately, or the person who ordered the dish that came out right would have had to let it get cold, first. We got an apology, but some sort of compensation would have been nice.

Bart

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
        Re:Bubba Gump Shrimp Co Tue, 11/15/11 9:16 AM (permalink)
        We ate at the one at Navy Pier in Chicago, it was so uninspiring that I don't remember anything about it but I can tell you what I had for breakfast that day and dinner the night before.

doulasc

• Total Posts: 45
          Re:Bubba Gump Shrimp Co Mon, 11/21/11 10:22 AM (permalink)
          I just discoverd that Bubba Gumps is now owned by Landrys Seafood. Bubba Gumps,you use tro be able to order Shrimp and seafood and have it shipped to your home,also you could order merchandise like glassware,T-shirts,hats etc. They stopped doing that.

mar52

Re:Bubba Gump Shrimp Co Mon, 11/21/11 2:26 PM (permalink)
            It's interesting in reading the progression of this thread.  Looks like they're located mostly in family amusement type places...  where you might be trapped in to eating there.

sk bob

• Total Posts: 1801
              Re:Bubba Gump Shrimp Co Mon, 11/21/11 9:15 PM (permalink)
              mar52, I think you're right about that.
              the one in Daytona is located in the Ocean Walk Shoppes near the boardwalk right in the heart of the tourist district along with Johnny Rockets, Sloppy Joes,& the soon to open Joes Crab Shack.
              Ihave no desire to go to any one of those places.
              when we eat seafood out we go to the resaurants near where the fishing boats dock and we KNOW they have fresh  local seafood.

MiamiDon

Re:Bubba Gump Shrimp Co Tue, 11/22/11 5:35 AM (permalink)
                mar52

It's interesting in reading the progression of this thread.  Looks like they're located mostly in family amusement type places...  where you might be trapped in to eating there.

Yup, here in Miami there's one in Bayside Marketplace (aka Bayside Tourist Trap).

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3704
                  Re:Bubba Gump Shrimp Co Tue, 11/22/11 11:23 AM (permalink)
                  Hate to say it, but there is little "touristy" (apart from the Sixth Floor Museum) about Dallas.  So, I guess we'll have to wait. 

I love fried shrimp but, even though we have the most restaurant seats per capita, good fried shrimp (and a decent crabcake) are hard to find here - despite our proximity to the Gulf. 

collinf

• Total Posts: 159
                    Re:Bubba Gump Shrimp Co Tue, 11/22/11 8:37 PM (permalink)
                    Most of the Bubba Gump Shrimp restaurants I've been to have served rather average and uninspired food.  I do have to say that in June of this year I ate at the one in downtown Denver, and for some reason the food seemed to be a little better than I had remembered.  They do tend to congregate around touristy areas - Chicago's Navy Pier, Monterey Bay's Aquarium, etc.  Maybe because the Denver location is nowhere near such a place, that is what made the difference.

IntelligentT82

• Total Posts: 125
                      Re:Bubba Gump Shrimp Co Tue, 11/22/11 10:01 PM (permalink)
                      I ate at the Bubba Gump Shrimp location in New Orleans.  Not sure if it is still open after the hurricane and all. It was good though.  Not really good...just plain good.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9542
                        Re:Bubba Gump Shrimp Co Thu, 11/24/11 12:24 AM (permalink)
                        They're owned by Landry's, the mega producer of mediocre foods under many names such as:
                      • Babin's Seafood House
                      • Big Fish Seafood Bistro
                      • Brenner's Steakhouse
                      • Bubba Gump Shrimp Company
                      • Cadillac Bar
                      • Charley's Crab
                      • Chart House
                      • Claim Jumper
                      • The Crab House
                      • Fish Tales
                      • Fisherman's Wharf Seafood Grill
                      • The Flying Dutchman Restaurant & Oyster Bar
                      • Grand Concourse
                      • Grotto
                      • Harlow's Food & Fun
                      • Kemah Boardwalk
                      • La Griglia
                      • Landry's Seafood House
                      • Muer Seafood Restaurants
                      • Oceanaire Seafood Room
                      • Peohe's
                      • Pesce
                      • Rainforest Cafe
                      • Red Sushi
                      • Saltgrass Steakhouse
                      • Simms Steakhouse
                      • T-Rex Cafe
                      • Tower of the Americas
                      • Vic & Anthony's Steakhouse
                      • Willie G's Seafood and Steakhouse
                      • Yak & Yeti
                      •  
                          MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3704
                          Re:Bubba Gump Shrimp Co Thu, 11/24/11 8:52 AM (permalink)
                          Wow!  I had no idea that Landry's owned the Oceanaire and Chart House.  The Oceanaire at the Galleria is, for us, an oasis in the seafood desert of Dallas.  Also, we have enjoyed fine meals at the Chart House(s) in both Alexandria, VA, and Scottsdale.

That said, the Saltgrass Steak House here in McKinney is excreable.  And just the idea of the Rainforest Cafe at Tyson's Corner, VA makes me want to hurl.

MiamiDon

Re:Bubba Gump Shrimp Co Thu, 11/24/11 9:15 AM (permalink)
                            Damn, I didn't know that Chart House was a chain.  There's been one tucked into a waterfront corner of Coconut Grove for a long time.

I've been there for an office luncheon event, and you know how those go - I don't remember anything about the food.
                            Whoa, and the Oceanaire Seafood Room, too?  Huh, I thought it was a quality indie. in Brickell (downtown Miami south of the Miami River).
                            <message edited by MiamiDon on Thu, 11/24/11 9:19 AM>

mar52

Re:Bubba Gump Shrimp Co Thu, 11/24/11 11:58 AM (permalink)
                              We also have a Charhouse here in Marina del Rey which I knew was a chain.   Wonder when Landry's purchased them.  I was good when I went there 30 years ago.

I heard that a large number of Claim Jumpers were closing.

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4712
                                Re:Bubba Gump Shrimp Co Thu, 11/24/11 9:00 PM (permalink)
                                So is the forementioned Crab House the chain that's mostly in Florida?  We ate at the one in Orlando back in 1989 and I recall it being pretty good, although we were on our honeymoon so everything was pretty good...or better.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9542
                                  Re:Bubba Gump Shrimp Co Thu, 11/24/11 10:53 PM (permalink)

MiamiDon

Re:Bubba Gump Shrimp Co Fri, 11/25/11 5:55 AM (permalink)
                                    ScreamingChicken

So is the forementioned Crab House the chain that's mostly in Florida?  We ate at the one in Orlando back in 1989 and I recall it being pretty good, although we were on our honeymoon so everything was pretty good...or better.

It appears that there are three Landry Crab House restaurant locations.  Miami, Orlando and Edgewater, NJ.

(another one that I didn't know was part of a corporate chain)

easydoesit

• Total Posts: 470
                                      Re:Bubba Gump Shrimp Co Fri, 11/25/11 2:38 PM (permalink)
                                      There is a Landry's in New Iberia LA (home of James Lee Burke's novel detective Dave Robicheaux) that advertises itself as "Not The Chain!"

We were exploring New Iberia on a Robicheaux adventure, and Landry's was recommended as a local  treasure by the great people at the visitor center.

They have a buffet, which gave us a great opportunity to try it all  -- but, man, it's the south, and everything is deep-fried, even the corn!

But the food was the real McCoy, the atmosphere is great, and we ate with the locals, and they have ducks in the pond, we loved the experience.

But all that deep fry was real heavy, boy, and we're from Wisconsin, where we know how to deep fry fish!

But I'd go there again in a minute.  You can scrape a lot of that stuff off.

easydoesit

• Total Posts: 470
                                        Re:Bubba Gump Shrimp Co Fri, 11/25/11 2:44 PM (permalink)
                                        And I did try the Bubba Gump in Orlando last January, had a very mediocre fish sandwich, nicely presented but rather tasteless, and I don't think I need to go back.

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6071
                                          Re:Bubba Gump Shrimp Co Fri, 11/25/11 6:59 PM (permalink)
                                          I've been teased around here for mentioning Bubba Gumps in Times Square...The food there was pretty good...I guess this one gets it right...but the view of Times Square below from the wall of windows is the absolute best in Manhattan. It's a show in and of itself. The workers here are fun. The food is pretty good...better than most chains......but going here is a true Manhattan experience...this chain  somewhere else without that view wouldn't be the same!!!

MiamiDon

Re:Bubba Gump Shrimp Co Sat, 11/26/11 5:53 AM (permalink)
                                            I was wondering when you'd show up, Lee! 

Benzee

• Total Posts: 1872
                                              Re:Bubba Gump Shrimp Co Sat, 11/26/11 12:39 PM (permalink)
                                              Watched the movie again last night with family who seen it for first time , never gets old one of my favorites
                                              Benzee

senor boogie woogie

• Total Posts: 225
                                                Re:Bubba Gump Shrimp Co Thu, 12/1/11 4:41 AM (permalink)

Some mentally retarded guy runs the place now. Sort of looks like that 70's actor on Bosom Buddies. Dudes partner was killed in Vietnam. Guy runs everywhere. Has a crazy drunk friend with no legs doing the books.

mar52

• Location: Marina del Rey, CA
                                                  Re:Bubba Gump Shrimp Co Thu, 12/1/11 1:14 PM (permalink)
                                                  SBW:  You're posts are such a pleasure. 

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7382
                                                    • Location: East Greenwich/ Warwick, RI
                                                    • Roadfood Insider
                                                    Re:Bubba Gump Shrimp Co Thu, 12/1/11 2:21 PM (permalink)
                                                    mar52

SBW:  You're posts are such a pleasure. 

amazing....200 posts and not one single one of them is about Roadfood

rebeltruce

• Total Posts: 698
                                                      Re:Bubba Gump Shrimp Co Thu, 12/1/11 3:17 PM (permalink)
                                                      I've been to the Charthouse in Alexandria, VA..and the one in Coconut Grove as well....I thought they were the only two.......

I've been to the Alexandria location several times, and have never been let down. They have a fantastic salad bar.....

Never been to Bubba Gumps, just seems a bit cheesy to me....

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                        • No New Messages
                                                        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                        • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                        • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                        • Read Message
                                                        • Post New Thread
                                                        • Reply to message
                                                        • Post New Poll
                                                        • Submit Vote
                                                        • Post reward post
                                                        • Delete my own posts
                                                        • Delete my own threads
                                                        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com