Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
John In Seattle
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 55
2008/04/28 16:20:58 (permalink)

Budweiser and Clamato?

I have seen this product in the stores.

I love clamato, and I like beer, but the two together? I am not sure. Has anyone here tried it?

31 Replies Related Threads

beth moffett
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 14
    RE: Budweiser and Clamato? 2008/04/28 16:25:44 (permalink)
    It is a drink often seen in Mexico--they call it a michelada. They mix tomato juice with beer, lime, and some spices. Sort of a bloody mary without vodka. I have never seen the product in the picture--but I bet it is similar.
    RibRater
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1862
    RE: Budweiser and Clamato? 2008/04/28 16:25:50 (permalink)
    Not pre-mixed like that but from time to time I'll have a red eye with either tomato juice or clamato. It's better with an ice beer product though imo.

baileysoriginal
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 758
    RE: Budweiser and Clamato? 2008/04/28 16:30:31 (permalink)
    I tried it - I'm a big Budweiser fan. I thought it was pretty good ice cold, but when it started getting warmer it got a little twangy.

They also have it in the Bud Light form.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6187
    RE: Budweiser and Clamato? 2008/04/28 16:32:00 (permalink)
    Twangy?????
    improviser
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 865
    RE: Budweiser and Clamato? 2008/04/28 16:33:30 (permalink)
    It's not bad. I think a homemade version would be better. The Bud version is way too salty for my taste.
    hutt
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 103
    RE: Budweiser and Clamato? 2008/04/28 16:35:50 (permalink)
    That's disgusting!
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5546
    RE: Budweiser and Clamato? 2008/04/28 17:15:51 (permalink)
    I heard about this new Budweiser product last weekend. I haven't seen it in stores, but my guess, is I need to go to a Mexican or Latin products store.
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3710
    RE: Budweiser and Clamato? 2008/04/28 17:25:05 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by pdxyyz

What a way to ruin perfectly good Clamato juice.

I would say that it is a total waste of beer.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Budweiser and Clamato? 2008/04/28 18:04:45 (permalink)
    This past weeekend, after dropping signman off from the Roadfood stop at Louie Mueller's, I drove to a local bar to take the edge off the fun I had the night before.

I had tried these before (they're sold in convenience stores down here), but the bartender grabbed one out of the beer cooler and just comped me. It sure hit the spot that morning!
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Budweiser and Clamato? 2008/04/28 18:35:58 (permalink)
    I remember back in the early 90's, Canadian customers of mine, (while living in the Key's), would order beer and a side of tomato juice and would mix it together...... That further developed into ordering Clamato juice.
    Never tried it.. I like tomato juice, and people love Bloody Ceasar's, but I never took a liking to Clamato.
    Pigiron
    • Total Posts : 1384
    RE: Budweiser and Clamato? 2008/04/28 19:19:13 (permalink)
    It's a great combination when hand mixed (and using a decent beer). That pre-canned concoction looks a little sickening.
    CCJPO
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 518
    RE: Budweiser and Clamato? 2008/04/28 20:22:42 (permalink)
    I tried the Clamato, got it from a mexican stop and rob, it was an abomination, way to salty.

That being said one of the drinks I enjoy in the summer is tomato beer. Just mix a half glass of real cold tomato juice and fill with a cold PBR. Drink while still cold.

Then there is that other abomination - milk punch - scotch and milk, for those times when one wants a drink, but maybe stomach says no - I drink it on occasion, on the rocks, because I enjoy it every once in a while.
    Lindseyup67
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 175
    RE: Budweiser and Clamato? 2008/04/29 08:40:41 (permalink)
    My fiance tried these the other day and is hooked on them! He is not a huge beer fan, so for him, this hit the spot! Me, I will take my beer plain....Buschlight
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5065
    RE: Budweiser and Clamato? 2008/04/29 08:56:18 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by beth moffett

It is a drink often seen in Mexico--they call it a michelada. They mix tomato juice with beer, lime, and some spices. Sort of a bloody mary without vodka. I have never seen the product in the picture--but I bet it is similar.

LOL:
    I'm a real Mexican
    posted by Ruben @ 02:23AM, 10/16/06

Your Michelada is way off. Real Mexicans from Mexico never use lemons or soy sauce. We use only fresh key limes. Also you forgot the clamato. Here is the real Michelada recipie from a real mexican bartender.

Ingredients:
    *12 oz. Mexican Beer, non-dark, (Corona, Dos XX....)
    *6 oz Motts Clamato
    *2 dashes of premium worcestershire sauce (Lea & Perrins)
    *2 dashes Tabasco brand hot sauce
    *juice from 2 non-yellow key limes
    *1 pinch coarse ground black pepper (Mcormick or from a pepper grinder)
    *1 pinch sea salt

Mix all the ingredients except the beer into a shaker and shake briefly. Pour Clamato mix simoultaneously with beer into a 22 oz pilsner glass with a little ice. Watch out because if you pour to fast it will foam up. Rimming the glass with celery salt is optional.
    Add vodka
    posted by Lea @ 11:35PM, 12/31/06

I add 1 shot of vodka. Cant taste it but it helps the alcohol content!
    Recipe from Cancun
    posted by Bull Shark @ 06:20PM, 2/17/07

Almost correct "I'm a real Mexican", but I was taught the recipie in Cancun.

Ingredients:
    *12 oz. Mexican Beer, non-dark, (Negro Modelo or Corona)
    *2 dashes of Jugo Sazonador (Maggi) "This is the key to a REAL Michelada"
    *2 dashes of premium Worcestershire sauce (Lea & Perrins)
    *2 dashes Tabasco brand hot sauce (add more if you like it spicy)
    *juice from 2 non-yellow key limes (Very important)

Mix all the ingredients except the beer into a beer glass, stir well, and add a few ice cubes. Rimming the glass with celery salt is optional, but adds to authenticity.
    For reals
    posted by Josh @ 10:19PM, 3/02/07

This guy above me is 100% correct, I'm a real mexican as well and we never use soy sauce or lemons. Got to have the clamato and the key limes.
    Soy Sauce
    posted by Carlos @ 06:55PM, 3/23/07

Never heard of the soy sauce going in it. I also add a bit of lemon pepper to give a bit more spice. If mixed correctly, the Tabasco and lemon pepper will kick in as soon as the beer is almost completely down your throat. I use large 32oz schooners for my michiladas.
    Mexicano de verdad(real mexican)
    posted by Mexicano de verdad(real mexican) @ 06:42PM, 3/25/07

You actually got it wrong too, original micheladas don't have Clamato in them.
    but u did get the lemon/lime part right, in mexico we use the small green key limes, not the big yellow lemons.
    The Mexican's closer
    posted by Mor @ 01:48PM, 4/14/07

I'm no Mexican, but I travelled in Mexico for a while and there learned of this cocktail which became my favorite for the entire journy (although the further I got from Mexico the worst they made it, and in south america they hardly know it).

Preparation varied from place to place but the real Mexican got it right, except the Clamato which was never put in any of my Micheladas. Putting pepper in it was also scracely done, but you were right about the lemons - Never yellow lemons, ALWAYS limes.

Otherwise it's not THAT different from the original receipe mentioned above, so I give it 6/10, losing points for ruinining it with lemons.
    See recipe below
    posted by Harm @ 04:46PM, 4/20/07

I bartended on the mexican border. If you want an authentic Michelada, see the recipe provided by Ruben below.
    Clamato schamato
    posted by johan @ 10:47AM, 4/27/07

I'm not a "real" mexican, but another good way is like the first, and add 1-2 ounces of bloody mary mix to it.
    Michelada recipe
    posted by G @ 04:51PM, 5/02/07

I think that you are both off...the best is definitely going plain and simple without all that mumbo jumbo:

12 oz. Modelo Especial
    4 oz. Clamato w/out the spicy
    4 drops of Tabasco hot sauce (the red one), more if you can handle it.
    squeeze the juice from two fresh rather large limes.
    2 pinches of salt - and yes you can use regular table salt.

Follow the instructions from the guy above - 2/10
    I'm a real Wetback
    posted by Rosman @ 02:41AM, 5/10/07

Michelada done right. First i see many things missing and you must read this to find the wetback way of doing this.

Ingredients:
    12 oz. Mexican Beer (Corona,Sol,Tecate are the best)
    3 oz. Clamato
    4 Dashes of Fajita Seasoning (Season All)
    2 Dashes of Tabasco
    1/2 oz of Salsa "Botanera" mexican salsa
    1 whole squeezed Lime
    1 pinch ground pepper
    2 pinch salt

First mix all the ingredients then pour beer slowly and mix well with a spoon. Its much tastier than the others. Theres not enough clamato in one and too much in the other. Also they both forgot the "Botanera" salsa. Try all three and see which recipe you like.
    Ehh......its aight
    posted by NeSsA @ 01:58PM, 5/11/07

F.Y.I, I tried your recipe and found that using Clamato SUCKED so I kicked it up a notch with V8 and found that it worked the best. Its not watery and runny. Its thick but not too thick. It fit just perfect for my micheada!
    Michelada
    posted by Tonman @ 09:06PM, 5/30/07

You all got it right and you all got it wrong. Everywhere in Mexico they make it differently. In Juarez Mexico you are served a tall wine glass with ice and a **** load of salt with a mexican beer of your choice on the side. You pour your own beer in the glass. That's Juarez's version of a Michelada. Would any of you care to compare recipes of Queso Fundido? It's the same as the Michelada, made differently all over Mexico.
    My version
    posted by sg @ 12:00PM, 5/31/07

Tonman, you are absolutely right, michelada recipes vary depending on what part of mexico you travel to. I have been drinking michelada's for years, it's my favorite drink. This is how i prefer: Use a couple of key limes, a bit less tomato juice, tapatio hot sauce, and mexican beer.
    Lemon/lime
    posted by A side note... @ 01:58PM, 6/23/07

Limes are def more authentic, BUT the limes in the states are not the same. They are not as sweet and not as juicy...even in Cali. I'm an american living in mexico and I understand why the substitution was made. When I lived in the states, I'd get MAYBE a Tablespoon of juice from one lime, in mexico I get several TBS, and the flavor is very different. SO if u can't get the key limes, u should just go with the lemon, b/c the other limes available in the US are not that good.
    Real Michelada
    posted by Donde kiera k nos sorprenda una chela bienbebida sea!!!!! @ 09:35PM, 7/13/07

Squeeze one green lemon in mug (depending on the lemon's juice you might just use one half). Add a pinch of salt. Add three ice cubes (iced beer is acceptable in Mexico). A few dashes of Tabasco Sauce. A few dashes of Worcestershire sauce. A few dashes of Maggi sauce. Any Mexican beer. (Victoria Beer is a good choice, but it is not exported).

Mix first all the ingredients, except the beer, after that add the beer be careful when pouring because the salt will make the beer foam more than usual, and enjoy.
    The confused Mexican
    posted by Jessi @ 01:06PM, 7/27/07

I'm confused who has the real recipe! I love this drink! I am Mexican too.
    Mexico City style
    posted by Frank @ 12:00PM, 7/28/07

I lived in the Mexican capital for several years and the michelada there was typically with lime (key or persian, but never lemon), tabasco, worchester and a salted rim. No Clamato or similar.
    From "la reina de micheladas"
    posted by Jojocano2006 @ 03:08PM, 7/28/07

This is how you make a michelada....read and learn.

12 oz. mexican beer (corona, modelo especial, tecate, my favorite pacifico)
    3-4 oz. clamato
    2 splashes tobasco
    2 worchestershire sauce
    key limes
    Sea salt
    Ground pepper
    1 shot tequila (my favorite patron silver)

I like to add a couple splashes of tamazula just for an extra kick in the ass. LOL
    Mex-Am. Girl
    posted by Claudia @ 01:42PM, 8/08/07

How funny how everyone has their own recipe. I'm sure they're all good. I make mine with a dash of Lawry's seasoning salt and it's yummy...
    Any tomato
    posted by Austin Born @ 02:43PM, 8/27/07

If you are putting any kind of tomato juice you are making a red eye, not a michelada.
    Real **** MEXICAN WAY!!
    posted by javs @ 12:22AM, 8/31/07

The real **** to taste is a mexican beer tecate or dos equis. Freeze some lemon juice concentrated with salt and just add ur fav. hot sauce might want to add a shot of tequila to spice it up this **** is the bomb!!!
    Michelada variations from Jalisco
    posted by Jackie @ 03:00PM, 9/19/07

Hi there. I'm not a native, but I got to know the Michelada variations in Puerto Vallarta. If you order just a Michelada, it will just have beer, lime juice, salt, and ice. If you order the Michelada Cubano, it will be a Michelada con picantes (maggi, worchester, hot sauce, pepper) and the ingredients for the plain Michelada. If you order a Cielo Rojo, it is the Michelada Cubano with Clamato. Many variations to suit your mood but all equally good.
    Michelada = Mi Chela Helada, and THIS is how it goes !!! In this order:
    posted by Ben Venido @ 05:02PM, 11/08/07

Salt rimmed frosted mug
    1 shot (1.5 oz Clamato)
    A dash of Maggi juice
    A dash of Hot Sauce ( Valentina, or Tobasco)
    12 oz Mexican Beer (Modelo, Tecate, etc.)
    A wedge of lime sprinkled with Tajin(or similar seasoning).....
    No tomato/clamato
    posted by Tank @ 12:23AM, 11/19/07

I don't know about the Michelada's in Mexico, but in Belize there is no clamato or tomato juice in them. From what I can remember, the recipe in Belize is:

Tall glass with ice, add the juice of one pressed ripe key lime, Maggi or Worcestershire sauce, seasoning salt, Marie Sharps pepper sauce or equivalent (no Tabasco, too vinegary), and ground pepper all to taste. Fill the remainder with a non-dark beer. My favorite variation, and probably why I can't remember the exact ratio of ingredients, is to substitute the beer with a premium vodka (a good blanco tequila might also work). Enjoy!
    I forgot the soy sauce
    posted by Tank @ 12:51AM, 11/19/07

I forgot to mention the splash of Soy sauce in my previous post.
    The best
    posted by Angela @ 07:39PM, 12/01/07

I tasted Henry's Puffy Taco's micheladas and WOW ---that was the best drink I've ever had!
    One thing's for sure
    posted by Not a real or fake Mexican @ 11:43AM, 12/25/07

If you're in the states, don't dare get that abomination from Miller called "Miller Chill". It tastes like crap.
    Ehh?
    posted by Francis @ 01:54PM, 1/05/08

I've been in Mexico 2 years, never saw a Michelada with clamato, sounds disgusting anyway.
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3140
    RE: Budweiser and Clamato? 2008/04/29 10:21:12 (permalink)
    I can only comment on how I had them on the Pacific side of Mexico in Jalisco province. They only used Clamato (maybe because there is a huge Clamato plant there) and they also used Maggi's. they used Sol beer.
    craven.sean
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 49
    RE: Budweiser and Clamato? 2008/04/29 10:48:40 (permalink)
    Has anyone seen this great take on Clamato?

http://www.freetimes.com/stories/15/42/drinking-responsibly

rongmtek
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 503
    RE: Budweiser and Clamato? 2008/04/29 11:18:09 (permalink)
    When I lived in Northern California, my Texan girlfriend liked to drink what she called a "red beer". The first time I saw her pour tomato juice into a glass of beer, I was sure it was a mistake.
    I never developed a taste for it, but she said it was a favorite in some parts of the Lone Star State.
    Ron
    SeamusD
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 993
    RE: Budweiser and Clamato? 2008/04/29 13:00:27 (permalink)
    We have it in stores here in central NY. But since I highly dislike Budweiser, and the thought of drinking Clamato makes my gorge rise, I wouldn't touch that abomination with a 10 foot pole.
    boyardee65
    • Total Posts : 1459
    RE: Budweiser and Clamato? 2008/04/29 13:12:23 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MilwFoodlovers

I can only comment on how I had them on the Pacific side of Mexico in Jalisco province. (maybe because there is a huge Clamato plant there).
    Wow, what does a clamato plant look like? Is it similar to a tomato plant? Do you have to pick the fruit and squeeze it like tomatoes?

David O.
    jmckee
    • Total Posts : 1178
    RE: Budweiser and Clamato? 2008/04/29 14:11:44 (permalink)
    I kind of liked it. Not as a steady diet, mind you, but I've been curious about "red beer" for some time. Or, as it is sometimes called in Japan, a "bloody Ralph".
    RibRater
    • Total Posts : 1862
    RE: Budweiser and Clamato? 2008/04/29 18:04:39 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by boyardee65

quote:

I can only comment on how I had them on the Pacific side of Mexico in Jalisco province. (maybe because there is a huge Clamato plant there).
    Wow, what does a clamato plant look like? Is it similar to a tomato plant? Do you have to pick the fruit and squeeze it like tomatoes?

David O.

http://www.ci.seattle.wa.us/parks/_images/parks/bergen/sculpture4.jpg

Celery Salt
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 76
    RE: Budweiser and Clamato? 2008/04/30 16:14:20 (permalink)
    I recently went to a Van Halen concert and after all the Bud/Bud Light was gone, this was all they had left. I bought and will never again! Totally disgusting!
    Big Kahuna Kooks
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 490
    RE: Budweiser and Clamato? 2008/04/30 16:25:33 (permalink)
    i remember in college that a few of us guys had a hair of the dog cure that we swore by. similar to this bud product except you poured an icy beer into a glass, then poured thick tomato juice (jazz it up to your preference) in a shot glass. Then you dropped the jigger into the beer, heave ho'ed the beer and as you chugged the jigger would slide towards your mouth and you gulped down the tomato juice while finishing the beer. we swore by this hangover remedy.
    WarToad
    • Total Posts : 1838
    RE: Budweiser and Clamato? 2008/07/25 09:53:04 (permalink)
    Picked up a can. Had a sip and treated the sink to the rest.
    uncledaveyo
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 599
    RE: Budweiser and Clamato? 2008/07/25 09:58:49 (permalink)
    Tried tomato juice and scotch once: Bloody Awful.
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Budweiser and Clamato? 2008/07/25 13:18:52 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by uncledaveyo

Way back in my bartending days, I had a young man come in and order a Johnny Walker Black Label. I asked how it wanted it. After thinking it over he said, "with orange juice". I asked for his ID which he had left in his car. I never saw him again.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18255
    RE: Budweiser and Clamato? 2008/07/25 13:40:06 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:
    Originally posted by uncledaveyo

Way back in my bartending days, I had a young man come in and order a Johnny Walker Black Label. I asked how it wanted it. After thinking it over he said, "with orange juice". I asked for his ID which he had left in his car. I never saw him again.

When we lived in the Virgin Islands, one of the popular drinks among the Virgin Islanders was cognac and Coke.
    Oneiron339
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: Budweiser and Clamato? 2008/07/25 16:18:12 (permalink)
    Had a friend many years ago in CO used to drink beer and Snappy Tom mixed. Some called it Red beer or Bloody Beer, I never acquired a taste for it Snappy Tom was/is like a spicy V-8.
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Budweiser and Clamato? 2008/07/25 16:50:54 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

When we lived in the Virgin Islands, one of the popular drinks among the Virgin Islanders was cognac and Coke.
    WHAT?

They didn't have Pepsi?
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1