Budweiser selling out

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6348
RE: Budweiser selling out 2008/07/13 12:08:35 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by RubyRose

Yuengling is my "american" beer of choice these days...especially on tap, it's great!!!!!
Greyghost
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1336
RE: Budweiser selling out 2008/07/13 12:16:33 (permalink)
I bet the poor Clydesdale's will be pulling a plough somewhere in Belgium soon. They don't have glue factories in Belgium do they? Perish the thought.
tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
RE: Budweiser selling out 2008/07/13 12:19:33 (permalink)
Sierra Nevada!!!--owned and brewed by genuine locals in Chico Ca!! GREAT beer that Bud TRIED to by and COULDN'T!!!! Thank God!!!! and there are plenty of small excellent brewers all over the country that will gladly supply all you folks that object to buying beer owned by "foreigners" as for Bud---sorry but to be honest---i don't care who owns it--in my humble opinion--it sucks! ---and i don't buy it now so i won't buy it if it is sold to Europeans.---not that i wont buy their REAL beers!
hutt
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 103
RE: Budweiser selling out 2008/07/13 12:19:46 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by leethebard

quote:
Originally posted by hutt

quote:

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by brentk

quote:

SANDIAHEAD>>> "Oh and for the record there are still plenty of American owned breweries, most of which brew better beer than AB."

Name one.

I could name a hundred, but if you think that AB brews the best beer in America it would be pointless to go through the exercise.

I don't know why the sarcasm,Hutt...I love good Micro brews from the good old USA...and contrary to poor rumors I love things American...why the crack about Pizza...don't get the connection...sure you're not an old poster who was kicked off this site?????

I'm not being sarcastic at all, Lee - although I guess I AM getting old! I only mentioned pizza along with the beer I guess because they're two of the greatest thing I love in the USA!
I haven't had a micro brew that I've liked as much as the big-name beers yet, though. That Sam Adams stuff makes me gag!
Ain't never been kicked off a site yet but I guess there can always be a first time for everything. I'm just all for American tradition!

No sarcasm or insult intended!

Thanks,Hutt,then no sarcasm or insult taken. I ,too ,am getting old..and I remember Bud in the early 60's as tasting different then...beechwood aging meant something!!! I just don't enjoy it now...too watery,like most American beers. Sam Adams,today,is far from a micro brew...it is bottled now in a bunch of breweries...and most of us don't get the beer brewed in Boston.I believe as taste buds go...live and let live,so if your buds like Bud..go for it and enjoy!!! Thanks.
Lee

Lee - and lots of you other folks, for that matter - listen, I think you folks are making a mistake in the way you actually consume your beer! Please allow me to give a little expert advice?
1.) Open beer.
2.) Drink entire beer in one or two gulps.
(Beer must be good & cold!)
3.) No more than 3 or 4 minutes should have gone by at this point!
4.) Crack open another beer. (remember! drink entire beer within a minute or two at the most - this way it will remain cold and great.)
5.) Keep repeating this process as long as you can.

WALLAH! Good times, good 12-pack abs, and, I promise you,
you will love your beer! I do! (and I do it every single, stinkin' day!)
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: Budweiser selling out 2008/07/13 12:21:33 (permalink)
tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
RE: Budweiser selling out 2008/07/13 12:23:09 (permalink)
No thanks, Hutt----i still LIKE the flavor of my beers!
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7956
RE: Budweiser selling out 2008/07/13 12:27:08 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

SANDIAHEAD>>> "Oh and for the record there are still plenty of American owned breweries, most of which brew better beer than AB."

Name one.

I could name a hundred, but if you think that AB brews the best beer in America it would be pointless to go through the exercise.

I don't know why the sarcasm,Hutt...I love good Micro brews from the good old USA...and contrary to poor rumors I love things American...why the crack about Pizza...don't get the connection...sure you're not an old poster who was kicked off this site?????

I'm not being sarcastic at all, Lee - although I guess I AM getting old! I only mentioned pizza along with the beer I guess because they're two of the greatest thing I love in the USA!
I haven't had a micro brew that I've liked as much as the big-name beers yet, though. That Sam Adams stuff makes me gag!
Ain't never been kicked off a site yet but I guess there can always be a first time for everything. I'm just all for American tradition!

Thanks,Hutt,then no sarcasm or insult taken. I ,too ,am getting old..and I remember Bud in the early 60's as tasting different then...beechwood aging meant something!!! I just don't enjoy it now...too watery,like most American beers. Sam Adams,today,is far from a micro brew...it is bottled now in a bunch of breweries...and most of us don't get the beer brewed in Boston.I believe as taste buds go...live and let live,so if your buds like Bud..go for it and enjoy!!! Thanks.
Lee

Lee - and lots of you other folks, for that matter - listen, I think you folks are making a mistake in the way you actually consume your beer! Please allow me to give a little expert advice?
1.) Open beer.
4.) Crack open another beer. (remember! drink entire beer within a minute or two at the most - this way it will remain cold and great.)

I will admit, I am a beer snob, and a coffee snob...

I know people every day that drink Dunkin Donuts coffee every morning.....enjoy happy hour with a cold Bud and go to Paneira on their lunch break and McDonald's or TGI Fridays with their kids...

To each their own....I just say- Thank God it's not me!
plb
  • Total Posts : 1037
RE: Budweiser selling out 2008/07/13 12:31:22 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Greyghost

I bet the poor Clydesdale's will be pulling a plough somewhere in Belgium soon. They don't have glue factories in Belgium do they? Perish the thought.

Do they eat horse meat in Belgium, it is close to France?
hutt
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 103
RE: Budweiser selling out 2008/07/13 12:31:23 (permalink)
Dunkin' Donuts coffee? BLAHHHHHH! El disgusto!
Thanks for being good sports about the beer (although I'd maybe be a little embarassed to see your recycle bins!) FILL THOSE PUPPIES UP, for god's sake! LOL!
Greyghost
RE: Budweiser selling out 2008/07/13 12:37:49 (permalink)
"Do they eat horse meat in Belgium, it is close to France?"

Aha! That's where that previous reference to steak came from!
Greyghost
RE: Budweiser selling out 2008/07/13 12:58:35 (permalink)
Some American brands that aren't:

http://www.bloggingstocks.com/2008/07/10/american-icons-owned-abroad-falling-dollar-cheaper-u-s-assets/
Ham Radio
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 11
RE: Budweiser selling out 2008/07/14 01:18:03 (permalink)
The Wall Street Journal and the Associated Press are reporting that Anheuser-Busch has agreed to be acquired by Inbev for around $70 per share.
Two words for A-B:
It's over.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10353
RE: Budweiser selling out 2008/07/14 02:07:12 (permalink)
I'd like to Bud in here!
I don't care for their beer, Bud I respect how they developed the Brand and the Corporation into a National Institution that is second to none, save maybe McDonalds,(whose product has also turned into crap)and Coca Cola. I would hate to see it fall under the control of a foreign Company who would be taking more US Dollars out of the country.
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3026
RE: Budweiser selling out 2008/07/14 02:12:57 (permalink)
I believe this deal has just been ok'ed.

Eventually, one would have to guess that the foreign buyer will slowly attempt to change the labor contract at Bud so they can be more competitive. Japanese car manufacturers have moved to this country to be more competitive, but they've done so by building plants in the South where there are no unions. I don't see Bud moving their production facilities out of the USA, but I guess they could. That would really hurt becasue this is a product associated with the American worker.

The new buyer must think that they are going to be able to overcome the premium they've paid for Bud somewhere down the road. And, since sales have not really increased (I believe beer sales actually have declined) where else are they going to recoup the money they've paid for this deal?

Do you really think their marketing or distribution methods are so much better than Bud's right now? I have to think their plans are to cut the labor force that is easiest first...Administrative. Then, to go after those benefit laden labor contracts. They will be a new owner without any long time relationships with the union. Should be interesting to see how this makes any financial sense to the new buyer. I'm pretty sure the unions are not happy about this one.

Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: Budweiser selling out 2008/07/14 02:14:09 (permalink)
My home town Beer is a Great Beer!.
Distributed in PA, OH, NY, NJ, MD, WV.
http://www.straubbeer.com

roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: Budweiser selling out 2008/07/14 02:33:09 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Foodbme

I'd like to Bud in here!
I would hate to see it fall under the control of a foreign Company who would be taking more US Dollars out of the country.

Too late. they sold out for $52 Billion budsOh, I mean bucks..

...heard it on BBC Overnight around 11PM last night.

Another American Icon down the tubes.
Guess Stella Artois' face will be replacing the Clydesdales now.

Thread title should now read..

BUD.. SOLD out...
sandiahead
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 22
RE: Budweiser selling out 2008/07/14 02:44:06 (permalink)
Sucks that it happened but it was just a matter of time because if it didn't happen in the next couple of weeks there would have been all kinds of lawsuits and it would've gone hostile for sure. In the end it makes perfect sense that Bud would end up aligned with Stella Artois because they're both crappy beers. Oh and for the guy who wanted me to name a better American brewer I'll go with Sierra Nevada, Stone, Ska Brewing Company, Pyramid, Redhook, Rogue and the list could go on and on.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: Budweiser selling out 2008/07/14 02:46:50 (permalink)
Well-----No sense crying in your beer!
Dale Earnhardt Jr. must have had an inside tip!

What's that flushing sound I hear?? Oh, That's Bud's sales going down the Crapper!

What's that music I hear?? Oh, That's the Coors people singing, "Oh what a friend we have in Stella!!
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: Budweiser selling out 2008/07/14 02:59:16 (permalink)
This is going to cause major identity problems for "The REDNECK NATION"!
A Loyal American Redneck would not be caught dead with an empty beer can in the back of his pickup from a company that was owned by "Feriner's"
6star
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4388
RE: Budweiser selling out 2008/07/14 03:02:36 (permalink)
Here is the AP article:
http://apnews.excite.com/article/20080714/D91TFG3G0.html
billyboy
  • Total Posts : 2462
RE: Budweiser selling out 2008/07/14 03:13:37 (permalink)
That #2 rule makes me think that you don't savor the taste of your beer. There is a lot of ground between pounding a beer in 1 or 2 gulps and nursing it for so long that you qualify as an R.N. I took the A.B. tour in St. Louis and I have to say that I never wanted a Bud more in my life than I did by the end of that tour. I felt parched and was craving a Bud, until I actually tasted it. Skunked out my friends! Very disappointing. I don't care who brews the beer or in what country as long as it tastes good. Yes, I know, taste is subjective. I grew up with guys who drank Milkwaukee's Best (aka the Beast), O.V. Splits, Genny Cream Ale, and Stegmaier (sp?) at which I shook my head, but I repsected their choice, even if I didn't understand it. I go in for Newcastle Brown Ale, Bass Ale, Magic Hat #9 and Sam Adams.
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Name one.

Lee

1.) Open beer.

sandiahead
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 22
RE: Budweiser selling out 2008/07/14 05:05:37 (permalink)
Magic Hat just bought out Pyramid.
jesskidden
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 152
RE: Budweiser selling out 2008/07/14 06:50:18 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Foodbme

My home town Beer is a Great Beer!.
Distributed in PA, OH, NY, NJ, MD, WV.
http://www.straubbeer.com

Straub is just about the ONLY "American Light Lager" (adjunct, low hop rate, etc) beer I buy- when I can find it. It's quite rare even in eastern PA, and, according to their own website, Straub- Where Can I Find Your Beer? http://www.straubbeer.com/locator/index.php they distribute only in Ohio and Pennsylvania. (Have never seen it in NJ, that's for sure). Straub is still one of the very smallest (if not THE smallest) of the pre-craft era breweries in the US.
exsquidao
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 409
RE: Budweiser selling out 2008/07/14 07:27:31 (permalink)
Looks like I am going to have to find a new way to maintain my weight.
Tedbear
  • Total Posts : 1832
RE: Budweiser selling out 2008/07/14 07:30:22 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by wanderingjew

I think HORRIBLE would actually be a compliment in describing the taste of Bud- that's if there was actually a taste to it- it just tastes like over-carbonated tap water to me.

Bud to me is like the "Dunkin Donuts" of coffee and should probably change their name to

BAD BAD BAD!!!

This brings to mind the old Monty Python joke/riddle:

Q: Why is American beer like having sex in a canoe?
A: Because it's f*****g close to water!

Because of A-B's marketing in places like the UK, it is likely that Bud is the only American beer that many Brits have tasted at home. Thus, I have always thought that this joke referred to Bud, but of course, it could also have been that other beer with no flavor--Coor's.

WarToad
  • Total Posts : 1858
RE: Budweiser selling out 2008/07/14 09:07:11 (permalink)
I haven't had a Bud in years. Since the growth of craft brewing, and my own 16 year history of homebrewing, I'm moved to beers with flavor.
the grillman
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 636
RE: Budweiser selling out 2008/07/14 09:53:45 (permalink)
Well, I’m a St. Louis loyalist. I’ve got family and many friends employed at A-B, as well as I do some business with them as a supplier. I hate to see the company bought, but time will tell eventually whether this is the right move or not. Hopefully, this will allow A-B to enter new markets and grow, and the cost-cutting and local pain from the buyout won’t be too severe.

And A-B products are my favorite everyday beers, despite the pounding they are taking in this forum from the beer snobs. To each his own…..you enjoy yours, and I’ll continue to drink plenty of Bud, the number one beer in the world!
WarToad
  • Total Posts : 1858
RE: Budweiser selling out 2008/07/14 10:12:20 (permalink)
BBQ snobs, Hot Dog snobs, Steak snobs, Beer snobs... once you realize how good something CAN be, it's difficult to go back to the mass market marginally well done norm.

Now, having said that, I'm also not saying Bud is bad. It is what it is.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/29/65

You have to appreciate it for what it is. A very lightly flavored light lagar. Once you stretch your tastebuds beyond light lagar though, you realize just how lightly flavored it is.
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: Budweiser selling out 2008/07/14 10:37:01 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by WarToad

BBQ snobs, Hot Dog snobs, Steak snobs, Beer snobs... once you realize how good something CAN be, it's difficult to go back to the mass market marginally well done norm.

You have to appreciate it for what it is. A very lightly flavored light lagar. Once you stretch your tastebuds beyond light lagar though, you realize just how lightly flavored it is.

That's putting it as well as I've heard it here...we seem to be ,many of us, opinionated over certain foods....your comment should head every post where an opinion is registered. It sure explains many feelings,I think here!!!!!!
John Fox
  • Total Posts : 2339
RE: Budweiser selling out 2008/07/14 10:45:37 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by WarToad

Well said, War Toad. I've been called a beer snob and a hot dog snob because I prefer quality and flavor. stlouisguy, I can understand your loyalty to your company and desire to see an American icon remain in the hands of Americans, but calling people who enjoy beer with flavor snobs is on the same level as calling people like you sheep. Bud uses rice as a cheaper ingredient rather than all malt. Malt gives beer it's flavor. Many people are conditioned to think that flavorless brews like Bud represent what beer is supposed to taste like. Try a Czech Bud. You might never drink a watered down American bud again. Also, it's hard to feel sorry for a company that has swallowed up their fair share of small brewers; Rolling Rock for example.
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1