Buffalo Burger?

Author
Seriousfoody
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 32
2006/01/24 11:35:06 (permalink)

Buffalo Burger?

Has anyone tried one of these? I am hooked on them. Very little fat and if you cook them to rare/med rare, they are very juicy - low in cholesterol too. I like mine done rare with a slice of a half sour pickle, mustard/mayo (real mayo of course) and melted sharp cheddar!

20 Replies Related Threads

Hode
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 153
    RE: Buffalo Burger? 2006/01/24 11:45:08 (permalink)
    I agree they are a nice change from beef. Wegmans carries 1 lb. packages. I look forward to trying a Buffalo steak.
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 222
    RE: Buffalo Burger? 2006/01/24 11:46:16 (permalink)
    I tried buffalo burgers last summer on the way home from Yellowstone and was less than impressed, but it might have been the place-Wall Drug.
    Yes, I KNOW it's the ultimate tourist trap, but Frau und Kinder just HAD to stop there. And the night before we had world-class chicken fried steaks at the Wrangler in Custer SD, so maybe my standard of comparison was set too high.
    I can get the meat locally, so maybe we'll give it another try when grill season comes around.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18390
    RE: Buffalo Burger? 2006/01/24 12:04:57 (permalink)
    The Kroger markets in my area carry the ground "buffalo" meat, and I've tried it. I don't care much for it. It doesn't taste anything like the meat from wild bison. It's pretty bland.
    Salustra
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 510
    RE: Buffalo Burger? 2006/01/24 13:03:44 (permalink)
    Every time someone mentions buffalo burgers, it brings on a smile.
    I first tried one at the Yukon Pavilion at the World's Fair in Vancouver, BC.
    I was having the hardest time taking the first bite, because my imagination was seeing a big hairy snout sticking out of the bun! " />
    MandalayVA
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 367
    RE: Buffalo Burger? 2006/01/24 13:26:46 (permalink)
    Much of the buffalo meat you get in supermarkets is from farm-raised animals. That being said, it's pretty good. I did have a buffalo ribeye once and that was fantastic.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Buffalo Burger? 2006/01/24 13:36:15 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MandalayVA

Much of the buffalo meat you get in supermarkets is from farm-raised animals. That being said, it's pretty good. I did have a buffalo ribeye once and that was fantastic.

All of it is from farm-raised animals. That's why it doesn't taste the same as the meat from non-farmed animals. The same thing happens with farm-raised venison. It tastes nothing like venison from wild game.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4213
    RE: Buffalo Burger? 2006/01/24 14:42:13 (permalink)
    Had my first buffalo burgers in Canada at Expo '67! They were skinny little things with a sweeter than regular beef taste. Since then, I've enjoyed them occasionally. They serve a pretty good buffalo pub-style burger at Harry Buffalo's in Rocky River, Ohio, a suburb just west of Cleveland. While I don't find myself craving buffalo, it is a nice change of pace when it's available.

P.S. Ostrich burgers are pretty darn tasty, too!
    NebGuy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 875
    RE: Buffalo Burger? 2006/01/24 15:53:41 (permalink)
    I've grilled buffalo burgers at home and thought they were really good.. Got 90% lean and they were still nice and juicy. Plus tasted alot better than lean hamburger to me.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Buffalo Burger? 2006/01/24 16:12:06 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BuddyRoadhouse

And I bet there's alot of Ostrich Farmers out there sick of them burgers... That is, the ones that had visions of making millions off them birds...

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13481
    RE: Buffalo Burger? 2006/01/24 16:22:57 (permalink)
    I do not know if they are still in existence but Ted Turner had started some restaurants that featured buffalo. I think they were called "Ted Turner Buffalo Burgers". I may be incorrect on the name. I believe one of them was in Atlanta.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4213
    RE: Buffalo Burger? 2006/01/24 16:28:20 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by UncleVic

quote:
    Originally posted by BuddyRoadhouse

And I bet there's alot of Ostrich Farmers out there sick of them burgers... That is, the ones that had visions of making millions off them birds...

Yeah, that was kind of a bust, wasn't it.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7776
    RE: Buffalo Burger? 2006/01/24 20:55:06 (permalink)
    My experience with Buffalo Burgers were in the Dakotas. One of my favorites (which of course is now gone) was "The Grainary" at the West Acres Mall in Fargo ND. I went there twice, the first time in 1992 when I moved cross country from New York to Seattle. That was my first experience with trying a Buffalo Burger as well as Beer Cheese Soup. I remember walking into the mall around the same time a movie had just let out and I was in complete cultural shock because I never saw so many tall fair haired people at once. The second time I went was returning on a cross country trip in 1998 from Seattle back to Pittsburgh.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Buffalo Burger? 2006/01/24 21:34:23 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

I do not know if they are still in existence but Ted Turner had started some restaurants that featured buffalo. I think they were called "Ted Turner Buffalo Burgers". I may be incorrect on the name. I believe one of them was in Atlanta.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

Turner does have a chain of places selling "Buffalo" burgers. His company opened three restaurants in Columbus. One shut down last week.
    ScreenBear
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1505
    RE: Buffalo Burger? 2006/01/24 22:11:56 (permalink)
    One of my most treasured letters, now lost to the ages, was from Cue Magazine (later merged with and swallowed by New York Magazine). It was Buffalo related.

Having learned sometime in the late 1960s that those powers that be had decided that Buffalo were no longer an endangered species, and that a certain amount of the beasts would be allowed to enter our food chain, I wrote to Cue. I asked if any restaurant in NYC was yet serving Buffalo?

I received a letter a week or so later, very succinctly noting:
    "Dear Sir,
    To the best of our knowledge, there are no restaurants in New York City serving Buffalo meat."

I couldn't stop laughing. It just struck me funny. I framed it and hung it on a wall in my bachelor pad. Remember, people thought we'd never be eating Buffalo. It was akin to suggesting that we might one day eat Dodo bird....which we almost do. I really am fond of ostrich...but that's another story.

Today, it's no big deal...this Buffalo meat. I like it. I never eat a beef burger. I save my beef imbibing for steak and, of course, hot dogs.

Last year, after the NY Auto Show, we went to Robert De Niro's TriBeCa Grill in Tribeca. I had the Buffalo steak. It was just fair; everything was just fair. I didn't recognize anyone and no one recognized me. But I got to go there, and I got name-dropping rights. Plus, my car enthusiast pal payed. But the thing is, the Bison's contribution to our diet is now a reality.

Question to Mr. Hoffman: Seeing as farm raised deer doesn't taste as good as the wild thing, has any domestic husbandry person ever tried to duplicate the animal's diet in the wild? Nuts, berries, whatever it is they eat? Answering my own question, I imagine it would be too expensive, no?
    The Bear

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Buffalo Burger? 2006/01/24 23:10:36 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ScreenBear

Question to Mr. Hoffman: Seeing as farm raised deer doesn't taste as good as the wild thing, has any domestic husbandry person ever tried to duplicate the animal's diet in the wild? Nuts, berries, whatever it is they eat? Answering my own question, I imagine it would be too expensive, no?
    The Bear

The answer is a flat NO. The reason is simple. When someone invests in animals such as deer he or she is investing in other farmed animals. They can't get used to a natural diet, and the investor isn't about to take the chance of losing the animals becuase of the investment.
    Beer&Snausages
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 418
    RE: Buffalo Burger? 2006/01/25 14:22:29 (permalink)
    Of course there is the Buffalo Bar & Restaraunt in Idaho Springs, CO.
    http://buffalorestaurant.com/page/nxqg/Home_Page.html where they serve Buffalo Reubens, Buffalo BBQ, Buffalo Chili and of course Buffalo Burgers.

roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Buffalo Burger? 2006/01/26 18:42:39 (permalink)
    I had a buffalo burger back in September at a little pub in Leadville, Co... I think it used to be a whore house or something.. back in the days when Leadville was populated.

Burger was mighty tasty! I would eat them again....
    tmiles
    • Total Posts : 1976
    RE: Buffalo Burger? 2006/01/27 12:01:16 (permalink)
    They sell it (raw) in supermarkets abound here. My late Dad used to buy it at Alta Vista Farm in Rutland Mass. There is also a farm on Rt 9 near UMass, Amherst that sells burgers out of a trailer near the road in season. Not many RF places where you can eat the burger within sight of the farm where the amimal was raised. I have not eaten there in at least a couple of years, but they were still there last time I passed by. Scales in Millbury, Mass also sometimes has buffalo, and Ostrich, another decent burger. If you were to hand me 10 good burgers, (9 beef, 1 buffalo) and tell me to taste each and pick out the buffalo burger, I doubt that I could pick it out.
    Theedge
    • Total Posts : 1196
    RE: Buffalo Burger? 2006/01/27 12:17:50 (permalink)
    I purchase frozen buffalo burgers and chop them up for use on my taco salads. I have also enjoyed many a buffalo steak while on vacations in Colorado. I keep meaning to go to a farm to purchase some from the source. You can use the link below to find a farm near you.

http://www.bisoncentral.com/index.php?s=&c=22&d=81&w=2009&r=Y
    wilewil
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 99
    RE: Buffalo Burger? 2006/01/27 14:19:38 (permalink)
    Ted Turner's place is "Ted's Montana Grill". They have "Bison Burgers" as well as a beef version. They are OK, but pretty expensive. Seems like I paid about 8 bucks for a burger (they throw in fries etc).
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1