Buffalo Wings - Hot

Author
jimtewell
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 15
  • Joined: 2003/05/28 14:49:00
  • Location: Chagrin Falls, OH
  • Status: offline
2003/06/18 14:34:45 (permalink)

Buffalo Wings - Hot

One of my favorite foods is Buffalo Wings but good ones are so hard to find. My favorite place to get them is a place called Romans IV in Concord, Ohio. It's take out only. The wings are small so there's more sauce to your meat. When out of state friends come to visit, they must have Romans IV wings.

My 2nd favorite place is a small chain called Quaker Steak & Lube in Northeast Ohio and Western PA but they are very salty so you need to drink a lot of beer.

I don't like the original Buffalo wing place - Anchor Bar in Buffalo, NY. They give you those big fat wings that have no flavor.
#1

16 Replies Related Threads

    topferment
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 79
    • Joined: 2002/09/17 03:49:00
    • Location: Wichita, KS
    • Status: offline
    RE: Buffalo Wings - Hot 2003/06/18 17:44:24 (permalink)
    I love hot wings but rarely order them out because they are usually disappointing. Either the sauce is bland or the blue cheese dressing comes out of a bottle. The chain restaurant Buffalo Wild Wings serves some pathetic bottled dressing. It doesn't say much for a place when they can't even make a decent version of the product they are named after. But that's a chain for ya.

    The best wings I have found in Wichita,KS are at Victory Sports Grill. If anyone knows of some good wings here let me know. I do make them at home a lot and I have never been able to find any that are better. I guess that's probably because wings are really not much of a specialty here.
    #2
    chezkatie
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1329
    • Joined: 2001/06/24 11:08:00
    • Location: Baltimore and Florida,
    • Status: offline
    RE: Buffalo Wings - Hot 2003/06/18 19:28:00 (permalink)
    I am orignally from New York State so I feel that I know a good Buffalo wing when I taste one. Surprisingly enough, there is a great place near us in Eldersburg, MD called E.W. Becks and their wings are great..........you can order then in 3 degrees of "hot" and they come with lots of crisp celery and great dressing!
    #3
    BigGlenn
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 461
    • Joined: 2003/01/26 03:09:00
    • Location: Victorville, CA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Buffalo Wings - Hot 2003/06/19 00:31:56 (permalink)
    Why must we continue to raise and kill Buffalo just for their wings. Now you know why other countrys love to hate us!!!!! Stopp the madness now!
    #4
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2888
    • Joined: 2001/07/11 13:25:00
    • Location: L.A, CA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Buffalo Wings - Hot 2003/06/19 03:20:29 (permalink)
    Yeah, and we must stop the cruelty of cutting off elephant's ears and bear's claws just to make pastries! But perhaps the cruelest of all, why must the angels go bald just so we can have our fancy pasta?
    #5
    jdg68
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 47
    • Joined: 2003/05/25 20:20:00
    • Location: richmond, VA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Buffalo Wings - Hot 2003/06/19 09:39:39 (permalink)
    I went to school in Buffalo (University at Buffalo/Suny) and didn't come away from the Anchor Bar terribly impressed. They were good but not great. There were tons of local places with good wings. Duffs was/is a good one but a lot of the local pizza/sub shops made good wings, just a matter of trying them. We used to make our own. We'd buy the 5lb bags of wings and had a deep fryer and a large container to shake the wings and the sauce in. Haven't had too many since but love them (probably overdosed on them there).

    I do like the larger wings and don't feel they have less flavor. It's all in the sauce.
    #6
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7956
    • Joined: 2001/01/18 18:49:00
    • Location: East Greenwich/ Warwick, RI
    • Status: offline
    RE: Buffalo Wings - Hot 2003/06/19 10:13:00 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by topferment

    I love hot wings but rarely order them out because they are usually disappointing. Either the sauce is bland or the blue cheese dressing comes out of a bottle. The chain restaurant Buffalo Wild Wings serves some pathetic bottled dressing. It doesn't say much for a place when they can't even make a decent version of the product they are named after. But that's a chain for ya.

    The best wings I have found in Wichita,KS are at Victory Sports Grill. If anyone knows of some good wings here let me know. I do make them at home a lot and I have never been able to find any that are better. I guess that's probably because wings are really not much of a specialty here.


    Didn't find any wings while I was passing through Wichita, but the Bierocks were fantastic
    #7
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    • Joined: 2003/03/24 18:58:00
    • Location: New Paltz, NY
    • Status: offline
    RE: Buffalo Wings - Hot 2003/06/19 22:24:04 (permalink)
    "Quaker Steak and Lube", I dont believe it. Talk about greatest name for a joint!
    #8
    CoreyEl
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 156
    • Joined: 2003/04/23 11:11:00
    • Location: Russellville, AR
    • Status: offline
    RE: Buffalo Wings - Hot 2003/06/19 23:04:38 (permalink)
    Hey, what's a Bierock?
    #9
    ocdreamr
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1110
    • Joined: 2003/03/12 22:03:00
    • Location: Wilmington, NC
    • Status: offline
    RE: Buffalo Wings - Hot 2003/06/19 23:33:48 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by chezkatie

    I am orignally from New York State so I feel that I know a good Buffalo wing when I taste one. Surprisingly enough, there is a great place near us in Eldersburg, MD called E.W. Becks and their wings are great..........you can order then in 3 degrees of "hot" and they come with lots of crisp celery and great dressing!

    ChezKatie
    I knew there had to be a reason to back to Beck's, They do good shrimp salad & the last time I was there I had a grilled chicken club, it was to die for. The more I try there the more I like that place.
    #10
    topferment
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 79
    • Joined: 2002/09/17 03:49:00
    • Location: Wichita, KS
    • Status: offline
    RE: Buffalo Wings - Hot 2003/06/20 00:34:03 (permalink)
    CoreyEl:
    A bierock is a meat stuffed bun about the size of a hamburger. The filling is usually ground beef, cabbage, onion, cheese and mustard encased in a semi-sweet yeast dough. They are of German-Russian Mennonite origin. I had never heard of them before I moved to Wichita and I grew up only 80 miles away.

    Wanderer:
    Glad you liked the bierocks. You should have had a polish sausage with sauerkraut and mustard at Kaufman(Royals) Stadium they are great there.
    #11
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7956
    • Joined: 2001/01/18 18:49:00
    • Location: East Greenwich/ Warwick, RI
    • Status: offline
    RE: Buffalo Wings - Hot 2003/06/20 08:58:21 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by topferment
    Wanderer:
    Glad you liked the bierocks. You should have had a polish sausage with sauerkraut and mustard at Kaufman(Royals) Stadium they are great there.

    After having dinner at Stroud's and only being able to finish a little more than 1/2 my meal, food wasn't exactly on my priority list at the ballpark I did indulge in the local beer....boulevard
    #12
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2888
    • Joined: 2001/07/11 13:25:00
    • Location: L.A, CA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Buffalo Wings - Hot 2003/06/20 20:10:01 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by topferment

    CoreyEl:
    A bierock is a meat stuffed bun about the size of a hamburger. The filling is usually ground beef, cabbage, onion, cheese and mustard encased in a semi-sweet yeast dough. They are of German-Russian Mennonite origin. I had never heard of them before I moved to Wichita and I grew up only 80 miles away.

    Wanderer:
    Glad you liked the bierocks. You should have had a polish sausage with sauerkraut and mustard at Kaufman(Royals) Stadium they are great there.


    How is it pronounced?
    #13
    topferment
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 79
    • Joined: 2002/09/17 03:49:00
    • Location: Wichita, KS
    • Status: offline
    RE: Buffalo Wings - Hot 2003/06/21 15:48:01 (permalink)
    Elise:

    It's pronounced beer-rock.
    #14
    Route 11
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 755
    • Joined: 2003/05/28 11:17:00
    • Location: Howardsville, VA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Buffalo Wings - Hot 2003/06/26 18:05:41 (permalink)
    If you're ever in Charlottesville, try BW3's. Hot stuff!
    #15
    Pwingsx
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2170
    • Joined: 2003/05/15 17:58:00
    • Location: Somewhere in time...and Colorado
    • Status: offline
    RE: Buffalo Wings - Hot 2003/06/26 18:26:04 (permalink)
    Where's youse guyses senses of humor?

    Those were some GREAT puns further up the thread.

    Kudoes.
    #16
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4122
    • Joined: 2003/05/09 18:39:00
    • Location: Mission Viejo, CA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Buffalo Wings - Hot 2003/06/26 19:27:59 (permalink)
    There is now a place here in Costa Mesa called "Wingnuts". Haven't tried it yest but supposed to be a fun place with 30 types of wings.
    #17
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1