The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Build Your Own Dog

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 33 of 33
WildWalker

• Total Posts: 47
RE: Build Your Own Dog Thu, 01/22/04 3:23 AM (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by John Fox

You would be hard pressed to identify a bolder tasting dog under all that stuff, much less a blander Vienna. I think the focus should be on the dog rather than all the condiments. Give me a grilled Nathan's/Sabrett's/Best with just some deli mustard!

I suppose that if I lived in Chicago, I would go to one of the stands that offers a grilled rather than boiled dog, and one that throws on less extras such as Gene and Judes rather than Byron's.

I find that when I slow simmer Hebrew National's Beef Polish Sausage,
Eating it naked is very good. Next, a minimal bun is great, the taste is strong enough to come through. But start adding a big roll, or strongly flavored "salad", and the distinctiveness of the dog fades very rapidly. It would seem many "dressings" are designed to hide their occupant. This must reach it's zenith with the addition of Sport or sarrano peppers to the salad. How can anyone taste much of anything in the presence of all that fire.

I greatly appreciate your most informative posts.

Sincerely,

WildWalker,
Wild being a contraction of Wilderness and Wilding, picking edable foods along the way.

WildWalker

• Total Posts: 47
    RE: Build Your Own Dog Thu, 02/5/04 12:09 AM (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by WildWalker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<div style="border: 1px #999999 solid; background-color: #DCDCDC; padding: 4px;">Originally posted by John Fox

You would be hard pressed to identify a bolder tasting dog under all that stuff, much less a blander Vienna. I think the focus should be on the dog rather than all the condiments. Give me a grilled Nathan's/Sabrett's/Best with just some deli mustard!

I suppose that if I lived in Chicago, I would go to one of the stands that offers a grilled rather than boiled dog, and one that throws on less extras such as Gene and Judes rather than Byron's.

It would seem many "dressings" are designed to hide their occupant. This must reach it's zenith with the addition of Sport or sarrano peppers to the salad. How can anyone taste much of anything in the presence of all that fire.

I must amend my initial expression. By removing the seeds and membrane, even hot peppers can be tamed, leaving an enjoyable crunchy slow heat. My latest grilled HN Kosher Polish: grilled onion, with strips of jalapeno and sarrano pepper skin. The spicy mild flavor compliments the grilled Polish, covered by a mild wrap of a plan hot dog bun.

WildWalker
    tasting exploration of hot dog cooking.

emsmom

• Total Posts: 955
      RE: Build Your Own Dog Mon, 04/5/04 3:05 PM (permalink)
      I wrap my hot dog buns in foil and warm in the oven for about 10 minutes on a low temperature. I like to broil my weiners. On my bun, in this order only: Mustard, weiner, turn over so mustard is on both sides, raw onion and coleslaw or sometimes chili
      quote:
      Originally posted by WildWalker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<div style="border: 1px #999999 solid; background-color: #DCDCDC; padding: 4px;">Originally posted by John Fox

Eating it naked is very good. Next, a minimal bun is great, the taste is strong enough to come through. But start adding a big roll, or strongly flavored "salad", and the distinctiveness of the dog fades very rapidly. It would seem many "dressings" are designed to hide their occupant. This must reach it's zenith with the addition of Sport or sarrano peppers to the salad. How can anyone taste much of anything in the presence of all that fire.

I greatly appreciate your most informative posts.

Sincerely,

WildWalker,
      Wild being a contraction of Wilderness and Wilding, picking edable foods along the way.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
        Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 33 of 33

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
        • No New Messages
        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
        • Locked w/ New Messages
        • Locked w/o New Messages
        • Read Message
        • Post New Thread
        • Reply to message
        • Post New Poll
        • Submit Vote
        • Post reward post
        • Delete my own posts
        • Delete my own threads
        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com