Build a Better Burger Contest

Author
blizzardstormus
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 275
2008/04/17 20:50:57 (permalink)

Build a Better Burger Contest

It's time once more for Sutter Home's Build a Better Burger contest with a first prize of $50,000. Each year Sutter Home tweaks the rules a little. This year is no different.

1.The Contest is looking for America´s best local burgers, those that are representative of where the contestant lives or grew up. Recipes should highlight the foods, products, or cooking traditions of a community, state, or region of the nation. Each recipe must include a brief introduction that tells why this is a great local American burger.

The important part to this rule is the emphasis on local burgers. (I think Sutter Home wans to get away from foreign-based recipes. Most of the past winners have had an international flair to them, such as Thai, Greek or Moroccan, to name just a few of the past winners.}

My question: What do you consider a regional local burger which is different from other regional burgers? The ones I can come up with off the top of my head:

Butter Burger (Wisconsin)
Green Chile Burger (Southwest)
Jucy Lucy (Minnesota)
Steamed Cheeseburger (Coonecticut)
Maid-Rite (Iowa...impossible to grill, though)

So, what's your local burger and how is different than the rest of the country?

7 Replies Related Threads

Pancho
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: Build a Better Burger Contest 2008/04/17 21:03:13 (permalink)
    Re: Butter Burger in Wisconsin. Come on...it's from a fast food chain called Culver's and they simply slather some butter on the bun. Also, Culver's is now in a lot of western states. I don't really think there is a specialty burger here other than just some great tavern burgers...The Blue Moon here in Madison serves up one of the best I've had ANYWHERE.
    blizzardstormus
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 275
    RE: Build a Better Burger Contest 2008/04/17 21:32:32 (permalink)

Sorry, Pancho, but Culver's,which I believe started in Wisconsin,took the idea from local Wisconsin restaurants, such as Solly's Grille. The above picture is from the restaurant review of Solly's.
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6326
    RE: Build a Better Burger Contest 2008/04/17 21:37:55 (permalink)
    True about Culver's but is it possible Culver's didn't start it but took a local hamburger concept and built on it? There are other places besides Culver's that feature a butter burger and it is associated with Wisconsin.

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=191

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Writeup.aspx?ReviewID=615&RefID=615

Davydd
    Sirloin
    RE: Build a Better Burger Contest 2008/04/17 21:40:36 (permalink)
    Much of the country has accepted the term California Burger as a loaded burger with lettuce, tomato, onion, cheese and mayo.
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4587
    RE: Build a Better Burger Contest 2008/04/17 21:52:10 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Davydd

Much of the country has accepted the term California Burger as a loaded burger with lettuce, tomato, onion, cheese and mayo.

Really? I though a California Burger had to have Avocado on it.
    Pancho
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: Build a Better Burger Contest 2008/04/17 22:01:58 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by blizzardstormus

Sorry, Pancho, but Culver's,which I believe started in Wisconsin,took the idea from local Wisconsin restaurants, such as Solly's Grille. The above picture is from the restaurant review of Solly's.
    I do stand corrected as far as Solly's. However, I think that the "butter burger" represents a very small cross section of Wisconsin burger cuisine. You could take a poll of Wisconsin burger lovers and I'd venture to say that a "butter burger" would not rank very high. I'd even put a "brat burger" above it. Also, that burger at Solly's looks disgusting.
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    RE: Build a Better Burger Contest 2008/04/17 23:09:57 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by bill voss

quote:
    Originally posted by Davydd

Really? I though a California Burger had to have Avocado on it.

...and sprouts! But in a midwest bar/grill they won't go that far but will still often call it a California burger.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1