Building a Concession Trailer

Author
Warpig
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 17
2011/08/23 16:45:28 (permalink)

Building a Concession Trailer

I recently bought a camper trailer frame for really cheap and my goal is to create a successful Gourmet Dog stand. The trailer itself is 7' x 12' which I believe to be large enough for a simple hot dog stand.

So I am pretty much building from the floor up and I've found this website to be a great resource. I got my hands on my States Food Code to have a successful build but I have a few questions about the equipment going inside.

Would have a 3 crockpot buffet that I planned on keeping things warm like Chili Sauce and Cheese Sauce and I was wondering if that acceptable when making sure items are staying warm?
Also would I be allowed to make various things ahead of time, say at my house to store and freeze until it is needed or will everything cooked that isn't prepackaged have to be cooked within the trailer? Example: I plan to make a homemade slaw but would save in space if I made it ahead of time. Another Example is my chili.

I'm also up for suggestions on various necessity items like sinks, water heaters. Could I use 3 sinks side by side to work as a Wash, Rinse, Sanitize sink? The Food Code I read just simply says that I need a 3 sink basin for such reasons but it would certainly save money if I could do the 3 sinks side by side.
Should I run on LP or Electric or a combination? My concern about Electric is I don't think Electric will be supplied often so finding a quiet/efficient generator may prove costly? However, with LP I'm not electrician or what not but I don't believe the Hot Dog machine I have ordered would be able to convert the LP into Electric to run.

Being a newbie to constructing a food stand is proving to be quite an enjoyable experience when building this. However just as everyone here it's a dream of mine to cook good food that is enjoyable. Also hoping to keep this thread alive with updates on my progress and eventually pictures, so again any feedback and suggestions would help me tons.

27 Replies Related Threads

chefbuba
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1991
    Re:Building a Concession Trailer 2011/08/23 18:05:16 (permalink)
    A. Welcome
    B. Go to your local hd, tell them what you are doing. They will have all the answers for your specific town/county.
    You may be required to submit a building plan to them and have that approved before you start building.
    C. Crock Pots are a no go with most hd's.
    Any food related equipment needs to have the NSF stamp on it. They also consume LOTS of power.
    Some will check every thing for the stamp, others could care less.  Should be a section in the food code.
    D. Nothing can be made or stored at home.
    E. Three bay sink side by side is what they are looking for.
    You will also need a hand wash sink. Check the book for size requirements.
    If you have electric appliances, then you will need a generator or a place to plug into. You will need a generator.

lornaschinske
    • Total Posts : 1610
    Re:Building a Concession Trailer 2011/08/23 18:16:45 (permalink)
    Warpig Would have a 3 crockpot buffet that I planned on keeping things warm like Chili Sauce and Cheese Sauce and I was wondering if that acceptable when making sure items are staying warm?
    No. A steam table is simple to make (water pan with inserts) and we heat ours with the 6 hour chafing dish fuel cans from Sam's Club.
    Also would I be allowed to make various things ahead of time, say at my house to store and freeze until it is needed or will everything cooked that isn't prepackaged have to be cooked within the trailer? Example: I plan to make a homemade slaw but would save in space if I made it ahead of time. Another Example is my chili.
    No, you can only make ob your trailer unless you have a commercial kitchen at  home.
    Could I use 3 sinks side by side to work as a Wash, Rinse, Sanitize sink?
    we use 3 steam table pans with a sink drain in the bottom.  Plus another steam table s=pan with a sink drain for a hand wash sink.
    Should I run on LP or Electric or a combination?
    We run 12vDC (lights and water pump plus the hood vent when we get it installed), LP (single burner hob to put a griddle pan on), the tankless water heater (Eccotemp L5) operated off a couple of "D" cell batteries and 120vAC for the  Air Conditioner. The Air conditioner is a new thing and we recently found that we could use the power pole on the park for FREE. Now when we change locations, we will have to get a quiet genny to run the AC but that will be next summer. We also use a Mr. Buddy (LP) to heat the cart in the winter.
    Pics of the food cart we built (5X6)
    post edited by lornaschinske - 2011/08/23 18:21:04
    Warpig
    Junior Burger
    Re:Building a Concession Trailer 2011/08/23 18:30:15 (permalink)
    Thank you very much for the answers and even a greater thanks for the pictures and suggestions.

When you say build a steam table you just took one large steam pan filled with water with smaller steam pans on top to put the food in? Also does the fuel get the pan hot enough to reach the right temperature?

::EDIT::
    I have a few additional questions. Since I'll have to make things like my chili sauce inside the trailer would I be allowed to cook it in a stock pot ontop of a griddle range or char broiler instead of buying a stock pot range? I have uses for a griddle range like bacon and sauteed chili peppers and a char broiler for grilling buns but I could use a stock pot range for again my chili, ground beef and making sauces but figured I could do that on whatever surface is hot enough. Or would this not be allowed?

Also I see you have the idea of selling pie, what do you use to bake the pies?
    post edited by Warpig - 2011/08/23 19:37:29
    lornaschinske
    Re:Building a Concession Trailer 2011/08/24 16:34:28 (permalink)
    When you say build a steam table you just took one large steam pan filled with water with smaller steam pans on top to put the food in? Also does the fuel get the pan hot enough to reach the right temperature?

We used what is called a "spillage" pan that is 6.5" deep. We have put 2" to 6" deep steam pans inside of this spillage pan. The chafing fuel that we use will get the water in the spillage pan at a good simmer. We hold the water the hot dogs sit in at 160F. The BBQ holds at 160F as well.  I think the spillage pan water is at 180F at that point.

... Since I'll have to make things like my chili sauce inside the trailer would I be allowed to cook it in a stock pot ontop of a griddle range or char broiler instead of buying a stock pot range?... Or would this not be allowed?

We use a canned chili that I "fix" with additional stuff. We just heat it up in the steam table pan. It's ready when the dogs are ready. When we move to another town, the chili dog sauce gets dropped along with the hot dogs. We have a single burner hob the we toast the sub rolls and heat the meat up on. We can use that to heat up the soups etc. I would think that you could use the flat top griddle to cook something in a pot in. Perhaps one of the others can answer that question. I'm still trying to figure out a soup chili to make. My fav chili recipe is too spicy and thick for most folks. I did get a fast, easy potato soup put together to serve on the cart. Already did a "no sale test run" to see how it heated and held over the course of the day. Need to tweak my vegetable beef soup recipe and do a test run as well. It's awfully hot to be taste testing soup all day long.
    Also I see you have the idea of selling pie, what do you use to bake the pies?

We buy prebaked pies from Sam's Club. They have very good pies (apple, cherry and Pecan) that aren't too sweet nor full of just "goo". The seasonal pumpkin is pretty tasty too.  These are pies that we have bought for our own personal consumption. I'm not baking pies (you can buy the same pies frozen and unbaked). I'm not making pie from scratch. I would have to charge more than the $3 per slice we charge now. Our cart is only 5X6. I certainly can't get an oven in there. We did have a pie safe but we had to remove it when we put the Air Conditioner in. So we haven't been selling pie. Too hot anyways.

post edited by lornaschinske - 2011/08/24 16:35:36
    Warpig
    Junior Burger
    Re:Building a Concession Trailer 2011/08/25 16:14:28 (permalink)
    Alright that makes sense.

I was thinking about taking the heating element out of a camper water heater tank and laying it inside a water pan to heat my hot table. For a cold table I was thinking about buying square plastic bins and dropping them into a hole in the counter. Filling it with ice and putting my cold steam pans on top.

Right now we're working on the walls/ceiling/roof.
    Warpig
    Junior Burger
    Re:Building a Concession Trailer 2011/08/27 18:06:06 (permalink)
    Is there any items that you could get away with, not being NSF certified but are advertised as commercial grade?

I recently found a grill for $399 and it would eliminate my need for stock pot burners/hotdog steamer/griddle. It being large I didn't want to get it and have to replace it. My HD does allow outside grills for 1 year but I'd really rather not have to deal with that. Any way I could see if this grill passes NSF specs even without the sticker?
    Just trying to cut down on a few costs of things because a NSF Fridge/Freezer is actually eating at my budget I have to build this thing.
    Warpig
    Junior Burger
    Re:Building a Concession Trailer 2011/09/04 16:29:32 (permalink)
    I got a 28 Gallon Grey water tank the other day but have been having one hard time finding a cheap/free fresh water tank. Keep in mind I'm working on a budget and rather be able to get away with a few things so that majority of the money goes towards my cooking equipment.

Anyways I got the idea of using an 18 gallon storage tote and rigging it so that it is 100% sealed and its made out of pretty thick plastic. I was wondering if I'd be able to use something like that or would I have to speak with the HD even though I'm not aware of them worrying too much about plumbing other than Hot & Cold Water, Pressure and a large enough grey water tank.
    post edited by Warpig - 2011/09/04 16:35:17
    Lost Nation
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 108
    Re:Building a Concession Trailer 2011/09/04 17:08:25 (permalink)
    This is my trailer build from earlier in the spring  https://picasaweb.google.com/103200304792624046939/2008_05_05#

You need to talk to  the HD to find out what you need in your trailer, Mine wanter at least 30 gallon  fresh tank.

Good luck
    chefbuba
    Re:Building a Concession Trailer 2011/09/04 18:59:36 (permalink)
    Warpig

Is there any items that you could get away with, not being NSF certified but are advertised as commercial grade?

I recently found a grill for $399 and it would eliminate my need for stock pot burners/hotdog steamer/griddle. It being large I didn't want to get it and have to replace it. My HD does allow outside grills for 1 year but I'd really rather not have to deal with that. Any way I could see if this grill passes NSF specs even without the sticker?
    Just trying to cut down on a few costs of things because a NSF Fridge/Freezer is actually eating at my budget I have to build this thing.

Why would the hd restrict the use of a grill for the first year?
    Either they are allowed of not.
    If it does not have the nsf sticker in place, then it won't pass.  The burden of proof is on you.
    chefbuba
    Re:Building a Concession Trailer 2011/09/04 19:07:18 (permalink)
    Warpig

I got a 28 Gallon Grey water tank the other day but have been having one hard time finding a cheap/free fresh water tank. Keep in mind I'm working on a budget and rather be able to get away with a few things so that majority of the money goes towards my cooking equipment.

Anyways I got the idea of using an 18 gallon storage tote and rigging it so that it is 100% sealed and its made out of pretty thick plastic. I was wondering if I'd be able to use something like that or would I have to speak with the HD even though I'm not aware of them worrying too much about plumbing other than Hot & Cold Water, Pressure and a large enough grey water tank.

How many other things are you going to get away with? Are you going to try and get away with shoddy food handeling practices too?
    If your willing to "cut corners" on a water tank, by modifying a storage tote and hoping that you don't get caught, what else are you willing to do?
    If you don't have the money to do it right, don't do it. There are rules and regulations in place for a reason.
    Go ask your hd if you can use a modified storage tote for your water tank, I'll bet not.
    Warpig
    Junior Burger
    Re:Building a Concession Trailer 2011/09/04 20:07:16 (permalink)
    The grill wasn't an original idea but it would save money. Having seen the HD for it they have an addendum that after the initial inspection of it that they would allow outdoor grills to be used for 1 year. Not something I'm going to do since I'd rather not have to replace equipment.

The Water Tank came as an idea from my father as we've searched for a fresh water tank for cheap that met the necessary size requirements. I have no plans in keeping anything that is unacceptable, rather it being acceptable and be saving us money so we'd be able to produce great tasting food. Since a water tank has nothing to do with me cooking great food it is only natural to see if anyone has done it, if not I'm not even going to bother.

This is our first attempt at trailer building so it would be natural to try and limit any unnecessary expenses possible so that in the future with an acceptable trailer you can afford a larger/more equipped/efficient trailer.
    chefbuba
    Re:Building a Concession Trailer 2011/09/04 22:53:38 (permalink)
    If you have read your states food code,  as you said in your initial post, you would not have come here asking if you could modify a storage tote that you bought at wally world to use as your fresh water tank.
    I suggest you re read your states food code.
    All your answers are there.

Bravo Dawgs
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 52
    Re:Building a Concession Trailer 2011/09/08 04:22:48 (permalink)
    Lost Nation

This is my trailer build from earlier in the spring  #

You need to talk to  the HD to find out what you need in your trailer, Mine wanter at least 30 gallon  fresh tank.

Good luck

I'll have to check it out next time I'm up in Essex Junction!  Beautiful Rig man! 
    Warpig
    Junior Burger
    Re:Building a Concession Trailer 2011/09/09 18:51:17 (permalink)
    I recently found someone willing to help me with some cheap equipment , now I have to figure out a list of all I will need.

Thinking about getting about a 6-8 burner grill that will double as a steamer for cooking the dogs before I put them on the grill itself. Deep fryer, thinking a 7.5 cu ft freezer may be large enough and thinking about getting a refrigerated prep table to double as a refrigerator and counterspace for cold items. Still working on what to conjure up for a hot steam table unless I this guy offers me one cheap.
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6383
    Re:Building a Concession Trailer 2011/09/09 19:43:19 (permalink)
    LN
    Good looking build so far.
    I like your Pit... ok love your pit.

I was wondering about PEX over PVC. 

I just redid my mom's home plumbing with PEX and it was SOO much simpler than marking and cutting and cleaning and glueing.  It costs (locally) a bit more than PVC but it is easier to use and to run.
    BackAlleyBurger
    • Total Posts : 1077
    Re:Building a Concession Trailer 2011/09/09 19:52:08 (permalink)
    pex is also the standard in boating systems due to the flexibility and vibration resistance...something any truck or trailer will have
    Schmelly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 185
    Re:Building a Concession Trailer 2011/09/10 00:31:57 (permalink)
    warpig...I have heard that some states don't need the NSF sticker on stand up freezers....as long as it can maintain a certain temperature....hope this helps...

schmelly
    THE WILD DOG
    • Total Posts : 1465
    Re:Building a Concession Trailer 2011/09/10 00:56:46 (permalink)
    the reason the refrigeration and the freezers need to be NSF is b/c they need internal fans blowing the air around inside the units. NOW here is a little trick they don't tell you at the HD. The units can either be NSF or UL rated. At least in my state that's the way it goes. Check with your state and county too.
    BackRhodes
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 724
    Re:Building a Concession Trailer 2011/09/10 02:11:31 (permalink)
    Warpig        Since a water tank has nothing to do with me cooking great food it is only natural to see if anyone has done it, if not I'm not even going to bother.   

Are you serious...???   Are you talking about your FRESH water or your gray water...???

A CLEAN fresh water tank has EVERYTHING to do with cooking good food...are you going to wash your hands with crappy (and possibly contaminated) water...???  Are you going to use crappy water in your jury rigged steam table...???  Are you going to use crappy water to clean with...???  ALL carts and restaurants have 1 thing in common, and that's the use of water in the constant task of cleaning...

Warpig       This is our first attempt at trailer building so it would be natural to try and limit any unnecessary expenses possible so that in the future with an acceptable trailer you can afford a larger/more equipped/efficient trailer.     

You know...(don't take this as an insult)...I don't think you have what it takes to produce quality foods in a SAFE way...if you're willing to kludge things together now, you'd be willing to cut corners in the future, no matter what equipment you use...

You don't use your BUDGET to drive your build...you use SAFETY and QUALITY to drive your build...

You're not the first person to say they're trying to do this on a budget...and I'd refuse to eat at any establishment that would cut corners in the way I've read here in various threads...

And in todays headlines:  16 people were sent to the hospital today after getting sick from food served from a food cart in Clyde, Ohio...we now go to our reporter on the scene...

The lawsuit lawyers would have a field day roasting your butt...

Please...if you can't do it with top notch QUALITY, then do NOT do it at all

BackRhodes
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Building a Concession Trailer 2011/09/10 02:14:10 (permalink)
    I suggest a LOT of liability insurance...

You HAVE THOUGHT about insurance, right...???

Warpig
    Junior Burger
    Re:Building a Concession Trailer 2011/09/10 03:42:47 (permalink)
    I recently have been looking into things that have a CSA certification. Heard from a friend of mine that runs several concession stands that you could use this. I have been trying to get ahold of my inspector to confirm this.

That would be nice is freezers didn't need NSF, but I'll make sure to ask my Health Inspector that as well since I'm sure there are many out there that reach the temperature required.

I really don't take it as an insult if you think I can't do a trailer however let me tell you something about myself. I spent a few years after highschool cooking for elderly and never had the chance to go to any fancy cooking school to achieve my dream of cooking. The businessman in me knows I must start small but I would never put out tainted food or cook with no concern to people's safety. Perhaps I spoke the wrong words with the tote thing but I assure you it wasn't even going to be used just was curious if anyone else had used something, since there are many things people have makeshift like sinks and hot boxes.

As far as my budget goes it is for building it really such as finding good materials such as wood/counter tops/paint/roofing etc.. Equipment is more of a will get the right certification or it won't be used. Example is the grill I mentioned above and find that it is CSA certified and like I mentioned going to see if it acceptable and to me that isn't cutting corners that hurt anyones safety. Again the tote thing imagine I never said it, I got a fresh water tank the other day that is made of hide grade plastic built for water containment. I'm a perfectionist but also a realist in the same manner.

If you continue to believe that I won't succeed then once I finish I'll directly message you so you can have a wonderful dog anytime. Also I am looking to put up some pictures once I finish the frame.

chefbuba
    Re:Building a Concession Trailer 2011/09/10 11:34:21 (permalink)
    Barry Digman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 120
    Re:Building a Concession Trailer 2011/09/10 21:21:12 (permalink)
    My inspector told me that my trailer could use a chest type refrigerator/freezer that didn't have an NSF sticker but that if I used an upright it had to be certified.
    BackRhodes
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Building a Concession Trailer 2011/09/11 00:32:47 (permalink)
    Yup...every state IS different...

I'd like to see PHOTO's of everyone's build...like a journal showing progress...a picture might help the next person trying to DIY a build...

warpig        I recently have been looking into things that have a CSA certification. Heard from a friend of mine that runs several concession stands that you could use this. I have been trying to get ahold of my inspector to confirm this.   

Yes, it's the inspector you have to please...and sometimes an inspector can give you valuable guidance above and beyond...and sometimes not...each one is different...but you gotta dance to their tune...what you don't want is to get part way through a build and THEN find out the inspector won't pass something...

lornaschinske
    Re:Building a Concession Trailer 2011/09/11 09:55:20 (permalink)
    Try using a Valterra ABS water tank for your fresh or waste water. It is repairable since it is ABS and you can glue in regular plumbing fittings (use the "all purpose" pipe cement...it will say ABS on the can).
    Valterra Tanks on Amazon
    We currently use 2 round 5 gallon water coolers but will be replacing with a Valterra tank. The two round tanks take up too much room and since we are dropping a few items off our menu, the cart will be "tweaked" a little. The new fresh tank will be put where our waste tanks is currently sitting and a new waste tank will be built. And no more bun steamer!

A word to anyone vending in NM... Our HD wants us to put a commercial refrigerator on our cart! (a 1.8 cf is all we need) This isn't a "do it right now" but we will have one on before we reset back up again after our move. I think it will become a "do it now" in the near future. Means a genny as well.(we looked at this one  in use at the Pie Town festival yesterday... it is very quiet and would work for our low power needs. So we need to shift some things around, hence the remodel being done on weekends.

Our photobucket page... newest pics are first I think. I try to put descriptions under the pics... It was a hot dog cart and had to be remodeled as we changed states. It's in the process of another remodel due to a changing menu, friendly "suggestions" from the HD and to make things easier on us.
    post edited by lornaschinske - 2011/09/11 10:00:50
    BackAlleyBurger
    • Total Posts : 1077
    Re:Building a Concession Trailer 2011/09/11 12:37:08 (permalink)
    how about one of these.....
    http://www.gototanks.com/potable-water-pillow-tanks.aspx

they come in various shapes and sizes, and can conform to irregular compartments....or maybe even a roof mount ??
    Warpig
    Junior Burger
    Re:Building a Concession Trailer 2011/09/11 13:48:59 (permalink)
    I really thank you all for the freezer help going to look more into that. The water tank I ordered was also from Amazon.com but was a simple non-pressurized one that was 20 gallons.

Also as I mentioned above I found someone local that can supply me with NSF certified equipment. He's suggesting I go with majority propane things since it's less maintenance. Anyone care to share about Propane VS Electric? Such as if propane is less of a hassle or cheaper? I would assume electric is cheaper since have 1 single electric item and you end up paying for electric hook up at places anyways.

Also my supplier has a nice refrigerated prep table for $700 and I like it since it means I don't have to build a large counter on one side of the trailer and can hold my refrigerated items since I've been finding that most undercounter fridges are near $500+ .

Rain for past 3 days is delaying my project, windstorm destroyed my only canopy sure hate being stuck inside when things need to get done.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1