Building a Food Truck. "First Time"

Author
truckofd
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
2014/01/31 16:12:53 (permalink)

Building a Food Truck. "First Time"

I bought a 1987 chevy P 30. It has nothing done to it. I had some questions for what to use for the floor "Diamond plate" or something else. If I should use all stainless steel around the walls or just in the cooking area. My county just needs a smooth surface. 

The dimensions of the cooking area is in feet 12.5 L 6.5 W and 6.1 H. At first I was thinking of putting the hood and hot cooking equipment in the very back. "Fryer griddle then a under counter freezer Very back of truck. Or near the back but on a side to leave the back door open. 

Any comments or input would be greatly appreciated. Have a nice weekend

6 Replies Related Threads

chefbuba
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2042
    Re:Building a Food Truck. "First Time" 2014/01/31 16:31:11 (permalink)
    Read, Read and then Read some more. There is a wealth if information for the do it yourselfer on here.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10353
    Re:Building a Food Truck. "First Time" 2014/02/01 15:25:08 (permalink)
    chefbuba

Read, Read and then Read some more. There is a wealth if information for the do it yourselfer on here.

Click on "Forums" on the top Tool Bar.
    Scroll down to the "Restaurant Professionals Forum and click on that.
    That will take you to hundreds of posts on building a food truck.
    truckofd
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:Building a Food Truck. "First Time" 2014/02/02 10:55:27 (permalink)
    Yeah but I don't see any posts about the thickness or gauge of stainless steel to use. I don't want to drive and hit a bump and dent the stainless steel. 
    Curb Hopper
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 87
    Re:Building a Food Truck. "First Time" 2014/02/03 00:52:52 (permalink)
    Just about everyone will tell you to search search search.

That being said a "smooth surface" is the most common (that I know of) language in the typical code requirements. If you know them (local codes) well you will save yourself costly mistakes (hopefully). Stainless is expensive but worth it. Google and do your homework. #304 stainless is the most common restaurant grade (I may have that wrong but if you google I'm sure you can find out for yourself) and if used for finishing on top of plywood a heavy gauge is not necessary. I've seem some creative and low cost material used but I wouldn't have anything but stainless. It's not going to dent driving down the road.

I like diamond plate but I didn't have to pay for it since it existed in the truck I bought. Every single detail is important but someone than others. Don't overspend on flooring if your budget is limited.

Google is your friend. Look at as many trucks as you can in person or online. Tons of build on this site alone.
    KurtSara
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 183
    Re:Building a Food Truck. "First Time" 2014/02/04 12:37:10 (permalink)
    Is diamond plate smooth surface? Maybe use commercial linoleum floor.
    BaoDown
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re:Building a Food Truck. "First Time" 2014/02/04 18:12:30 (permalink)
    Look for Dr. BBQ's posts he's got a great insight and most of the threads I've read from him I have gained much knowledge.  I believe he does have a pro/con about using the diamond plating.

I just bought a Mini Bus, and have started the rehab process myself and I'm excited and also know that I have much hands on learning as that is the only real way to learn, one tip for using the search option is to word your search a few different ways to better help you find what you need.

Good Luck!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1