The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Building a Food Truck, a branch off of Mobile kitchen build info

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 46
THE WILD DOG

• Total Posts: 1465
Building a Food Truck, a branch off of Mobile kitchen build info Sun, 09/26/10 11:36 PM (permalink)
So, Business has been good to me. Its been about 4.5 months and I'm looking to expand. Only this time, I want to go full on mobile. I am looking for a used P-30 or step van. I am weighing out my options with either deisel or gas. Any thoughts. Also, anyone know of any links that I can check out for white metal sheeting like Chef Buda's trailer walls ?

Wild Dog

Mamie

• Total Posts: 202
    Re:Building a Food Truck, a branch off of Mobile kitchen build info Mon, 09/27/10 9:54 AM (permalink)
    congradulations!  I use to see catering trailers all the time and never paid them much attention, but I've noticed a particular fleet hitting the roads early in the morning, so I'm thinking they're not catering, but doing the road show.   I don't know how many they have all total and I use to think I was seeing the same one, but the other morning there was 2 of them together.  So I guess business is pretty good for them too.

JodyP

• Total Posts: 322
      Re:Building a Food Truck, a branch off of Mobile kitchen build info Mon, 09/27/10 9:59 AM (permalink)
       The walls in our trailer are actually a plastic composite type of material. Home depot used to sell a smooth white side paneling. The trailer builder used plastic furring strips to cover the seams. It is 100% food grade material and keeps the weigh down. If you FaceBook look up the Atlanta Tropical Breeze page and there is a picture of the interior of the trailer.

lornaschinske

• Total Posts: 1610
        Re:Building a Food Truck, a branch off of Mobile kitchen build info Mon, 09/27/10 11:29 AM (permalink)
        JodyP

The walls in our trailer are actually a plastic composite type of material. Home depot used to sell a smooth white side paneling. The trailer builder used plastic furring strips to cover the seams. It is 100% food grade material and keeps the weigh down. If you FaceBook look up the Atlanta Tropical Breeze page and there is a picture of the interior of the trailer.

FRP (Fiberglass Reinforced Plastic), and both lowes & Home Depot still sells it. they usually stock the textured stuff and you can special order the smooth (and colours other than white or almond). The "furring strips" are "I" channel PVC made for the FRP for butting two sheets together (they also have inside & outside corner trim). You need a substrate to glue the FRP to.

EMK

• Total Posts: 5
          Re:Building a Food Truck, a branch off of Mobile kitchen build info Tue, 09/28/10 11:06 AM (permalink)
          We build, sell and rent/lease custom mobile kitchens. Check out our website at emkusa.com and check out our Facebook and which has some awesome pictures of kitchens we've built and currently have in our rental/sales fleet

EMK

• Total Posts: 5
            Re:Building a Food Truck, a branch off of Mobile kitchen build info Tue, 09/28/10 11:07 AM (permalink)
            Get on Facebook and search EMK and you'll find us ;)

JacksSnacks

• Total Posts: 348
              Re:Building a Food Truck, a branch off of Mobile kitchen build info Wed, 09/29/10 5:06 PM (permalink)
              This is my step van. I bought it in July, Its a 1985 model, it cost $1800. I drove it about 40 miles home and It runs like a scalded rat! only problem though its getting about 3-4 miles a gallon! I just bought some more items to put in it and Im looking to start work on the conversion in a week or two, I found a place that sells quilted stainless steel for $140 8'x4'. I have a cook lined up to run it in the evenings and I want to set up during lunch. JacksSnacks.

THE WILD DOG

Re:Building a Food Truck, a branch off of Mobile kitchen build info Wed, 09/29/10 5:30 PM (permalink)
                Scaulded rat? Is that good or bad? Can u post info for quilted sheets? Possible link? I am in search of a step van and hope to purchase in the next few weeks and jump right into it converting it. I had a blast doing my trailer.

JacksSnacks

Re:Building a Food Truck, a branch off of Mobile kitchen build info Wed, 09/29/10 5:50 PM (permalink)
                  I found this place Frigo steel- 1 800 836 8746 they have all types of decorative steels and metals.
                   By "scalded" it hauls ass! I think it has a 454 engine with a quad barrel carb  but you can get them with 350's. I went through the town I bought it at and it never got out of first, it doesnt change up until it hits 45 then around 60 it goes into 3rd, it needs some tuning! But it makes me happy! Its rated for 7 tons , Ive seen longer ones but they are difficult to park.

JohnL08

• Total Posts: 58
                    Re:Building a Food Truck, a branch off of Mobile kitchen build info Wed, 09/29/10 8:01 PM (permalink)
                    Jack, That's a cool truck! Plenty of room to get it all done in there. Good luck with the project.

First time I've tried posting a pic here but here's my recently purchased foundation. It's a 1998, driven by a little old lady once a week to church.

ps303

• Total Posts: 137
                      Re:Building a Food Truck, a branch off of Mobile kitchen build info Wed, 09/29/10 11:17 PM (permalink)
                      Jack,

I'm just curious, what are the cargo area dimensions of the step van?  I've been looking since about june and I have yet to find one that has the right height, width, and length all in one truck. Of course I am looking in my general are and not really wanting to go to far outside of it.
                      <message edited by ps303 on Wed, 09/29/10 11:19 PM>

JacksSnacks

Re:Building a Food Truck, a branch off of Mobile kitchen build info Fri, 10/1/10 5:52 PM (permalink)
                        The van dimensions are like 76" wide by 14 feet long (in the box part) , The roof is not too high but im not sure of that im guessing 6'6". It is huge compared to my trailer 6'x8' !!

TheIke

• Total Posts: 75
                          Re:Building a Food Truck, a branch off of Mobile kitchen build info Fri, 10/1/10 6:17 PM (permalink)
                          The "standard" for sale seems to be 8' wide X 16' in length.  The pro's who built most of the major food trucks we see on tv always design them with a 30" walk space aisle down the center.  When I compared that to my own design I am working on, I did not have that much space.  I have looked at the dimensions of sooo much equipment and most of it is so deep, that it is impossible to get that much aisle space (30 in).  I am figuring out that they have alot of custom equip made, that is how they get the aisle space recommended.  Take a sink for example....if your HD requires 3 bay sink with drainboard, you almost have to have it custom-made.  Ranges are deep, sandwich make tables are deep (35-36") and they sure cannot go across from each other in an 8 ft space.  When you loose a few inches from wallboard, insulation, etc, sure doesn't leave much room to walk, move, and work with 2 people passing by each other.  I am still looking for equipment that is not as deep.  If anyone finds anything that is narrower than the standard, I sure would appreciate knowing about it.  I too will pass on what I find. 

JacksSnacks

Re:Building a Food Truck, a branch off of Mobile kitchen build info Fri, 10/1/10 7:35 PM (permalink)
                            I agree with the equipment being too deep i.e. a stove is 28" , I plan on having regular equipment only on one side , then having a narrow shelf area on the open/customer side, where I serve out of. This will give me the room I need to operate. At the moment I have a 4 burner oven/stove, a 36" griddle, a 30lb fryer and a refrigerated make up table, if I have room I will have a steam table. I havent got all the equipment here yet so making exact measurements is difficult, I should pick it all up sunday morning. I am looking at salvaging some quilted stainless off some semitruck back doors, I saw about six doors in my local scrapyard and I can probably get them for 10C a pound. I think one of them would make a good cover for the side window. The rest I will have to drill the rivets out and get that way. The interior of the van is aluminium so Im thinking of just cleaning that and painting it with rustoleum. And using the stainless for the food cooking/prep areas. I have some nice pieces of stainless that are a good quality and weight that Im going to use for the serving area. Lastly I am going to put an emergency door in the back area in case of fire.

JacksSnacks

Re:Building a Food Truck, a branch off of Mobile kitchen build info Fri, 10/1/10 7:40 PM (permalink)
                              I forgot about the sinks, I put sinks in my Waymatic trailer but when I looked at the waymatic trailer site the sinks in their trailers are mounted were they slide out from underneath, saving space and precious counter top area. Thats got to be a definate installation.

TheIke

Re:Building a Food Truck, a branch off of Mobile kitchen build info Fri, 10/1/10 7:54 PM (permalink)
                                you found a commercial range/oven that is 28" deep ?  What type is it ?

JacksSnacks

Re:Building a Food Truck, a branch off of Mobile kitchen build info Sat, 10/2/10 8:45 PM (permalink)
                                  Its a garland, its 28" deep, it has four burners and oven, its gas, I dont have a picture of it but it doesnt look a year old, thats in Sherman about 65 miles west of me, Im going to pick up a convection oven on Tuesday too. The convection oven is 35 mile south east in Sulphur Springs. Lots of driving about!

TheIke

Re:Building a Food Truck, a branch off of Mobile kitchen build info Sat, 10/2/10 9:47 PM (permalink)
                                    JacksSnacks

Its a garland, its 28" deep, it has four burners and oven, its gas, I dont have a picture of it but it doesnt look a year old, thats in Sherman about 65 miles west of me, Im going to pick up a convection oven on Tuesday too. The convection oven is 35 mile south east in Sulphur Springs. Lots of driving about!

Remember the old saying about measuring and then re-measure about 2 more times.  Only garlands I have seen are around 32 inches deep for a small 24" range, or 37 inch deep for a 36 range.  Most of the standard sizes have not changed for years.

JacksSnacks

Re:Building a Food Truck, a branch off of Mobile kitchen build info Sat, 10/2/10 11:17 PM (permalink)
                                      24RB-24G-2B overall dimensions -- 60”W x 28 ½”D x 56”H, 1020 lbs.  From www.aaacommercialproducts.com/gasranges.html  

What can say, 28.5" depth

TheIke

Re:Building a Food Truck, a branch off of Mobile kitchen build info Sat, 10/2/10 11:41 PM (permalink)
                                        I looked at that page....copied and pasted what I see...........

• 60"W x 29"D x 56 1/2"H, 1060 lbs.  29' is narrower than many of the other brands.  Have you drawn up a floor plan yet to see how everything you need will fit ?  Are you sure you need a 60" unit or have room for one that big ?  I am working on a plan with a 16' length and have not worked in everything I need, using a 48" range. 
                                      •  
                                          THE WILD DOG

Re:Building a Food Truck, a branch off of Mobile kitchen build info Sun, 10/3/10 4:52 PM (permalink)
                                          If you can live without the oven part of the range, you would save a ton of headaches. You can buy the burners in singles & pairs. what would you put in the oven ?

JacksSnacks

Re:Building a Food Truck, a branch off of Mobile kitchen build info Sun, 10/3/10 4:59 PM (permalink)
                                            Well I picked up all the equipment this morning, A 4 burner garland stove, a 36" griddle, a 24" broiler, 24" inch steam table, a small electric fryer, a coke machine with ice holder thing, a 5 foot icecream freezer(italian). It filled the trailer up! The guy didnt want to sell the fry make up table but not probs! I measured the stove depth and it was right at 30 inches, so Im not sure who measures for the manufacturer?
                                            The stove is 24 wide, so with the griddle, char broiler and stove thats 7 feet, I measured the fryer and thats 16" wide  so the total length of the equipment so far is 8' 6" ! that leaves 5' 6" for the refrigerated make up table, I havent measured that yet but I think it will fit. I have a buddy with a plasma rig and tig welder so anything can be modified. Here is a collage of the stove, showing the 30 inches on the tape, and the freezer.

Now Im into a couple of grand on this thing!!

TheIke

Re:Building a Food Truck, a branch off of Mobile kitchen build info Sun, 10/3/10 5:40 PM (permalink)
                                              Here in Missouri, I can eliminate the need for a commissary if everything I serve can be prepared onboard.  I want to do cupcakes and some desserts as well as burgers, fries, etc and a daily special ie, green enchiladas, lasagna etc... for a large office lunch crowd.  Also oven needed for roasting pork butt, chicken, beef for pulled pork and other meat sandwiches.....If there is an easier way.....somebody share please. 

TheIke

Re:Building a Food Truck, a branch off of Mobile kitchen build info Sun, 10/3/10 5:47 PM (permalink)
                                                JacksSnacks

Well I picked up all the equipment this morning, A 4 burner garland stove, a 36" griddle, a 24" broiler, 24" inch steam table, a small electric fryer, a coke machine with ice holder thing, a 5 foot icecream freezer(italian). It filled the trailer up! The guy didnt want to sell the fry make up table but not probs! I measured the stove depth and it was right at 30 inches, so Im not sure who measures for the manufacturer?
                                                The stove is 24 wide, so with the griddle, char broiler and stove thats 7 feet, I measured the fryer and thats 16" wide  so the total length of the equipment so far is 8' 6" ! that leaves 5' 6" for the refrigerated make up table, I havent measured that yet but I think it will fit. I have a buddy with a plasma rig and tig welder so anything can be modified. Here is a collage of the stove, showing the 30 inches on the tape, and the freezer.

Now Im into a couple of grand on this thing!!

JacksSnacks - Good for you !!!! How exciting to see it starting to come together !!!  I got this mobile food itch from a couple from Paris TX back in the early 90's.  Forgot their names.....They were retired, had owned a wrecker service company in Paris Tx for many years.  She was known within her circle of  family and friends for her fried pies.  I met them in Canton TX where they had a neat little trailer selling mainly fried fruit pies.  They made them at home, froze them, then deep fried them during the First Monday weekend once per month.  They were so friendly and having so much fun, I got the itch.  In fact I bought a trailer in Tyler where I was living at the time and it literally fell apart on the highway as I was moving it back home to Missouri.  Had it welded for repair then sold it without ever getting to use it.  I will have my dream truck as soon as I figure all this out.  Sure is fun to watch you as you begin yours.  Wish you THE BEST !

JacksSnacks

Re:Building a Food Truck, a branch off of Mobile kitchen build info Sun, 10/3/10 5:56 PM (permalink)
                                                  Im meeting a lady on thursday who has a convection oven, I bought a 6 burner stove off her last July, and I wanted the oven too , she has come down on the price of the oven. Its really nice , not too big or small, I am thinking of putting it in the truck too if the power requirement is not too large. I have an 6 kw generator and I think the oven is 4.5kw so I might need a bigger genny.

THE WILD DOG

Re:Building a Food Truck, a branch off of Mobile kitchen build info Sun, 10/3/10 11:49 PM (permalink)
                                                    Ok. as far as serving windows go in the trailer. I was thinking of going with the kind I have now with the flipper door. The other option would be a sliding door that opens wide with no screen or anything in between. I will attach pics of what I have now and the truck in the city that has a slide kind. The only thing I'm having an issue with is no separation and no way or idea how they got the slide in there. I mean I have an idea where the part sits when opened, but I'm curious as to how secure it would really be.

here it is opened

Here it is closed

Where can I find some of those metal boxes ?

ps303

• Total Posts: 137
                                                      Re:Building a Food Truck, a branch off of Mobile kitchen build info Mon, 10/4/10 6:57 AM (permalink)
                                                      That chowhound truck window is interesting. I might want to ad some sort of a canopy maybe to shade you and the customer from sun.  Very interesting window. Sort of like a pocket door.

JacksSnacks

Re:Building a Food Truck, a branch off of Mobile kitchen build info Tue, 10/5/10 10:49 PM (permalink)
                                                        Yes , Its a pocket door, the runners for the door are top and bottom, the driver and passenger doors on my van doors are the same, but look at that wrap, the whole truck is done with a graphic wrap, probably 4 to 6 thousand for that!

THE WILD DOG

• Location: Hunt Valley, MD
                                                          Re:Building a Food Truck, a branch off of Mobile kitchen build info Sat, 10/9/10 11:46 PM (permalink)
                                                          I think I found a decent place to get affordable hoods. I have been searching prices for hoods for a long time. I want to pass this along www.hoodmart.com

Also, I think I found a decent truck too. I want to look into it more. It's white, My idea is to have a black truck though, so I am curious as to what it would cost to have it shot with some black paint. If its going to cost me 2-3k to paint it, I might be able to get a wrap for a bit more.

Mamie

• Total Posts: 202
                                                            Re:Building a Food Truck, a branch off of Mobile kitchen build info Sun, 10/10/10 12:06 AM (permalink)
                                                            Johnl

that's a really nice truck and I believe you when you said it was "driven by a little old lady once a week to church".. can't wait to see it when you're through.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 46

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com