The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Bull's Gap, TN

jman

• Total Posts: 1276
Bull's Gap, TN Sat, 02/2/08 5:15 PM (permalink)
I had to travel to Greeneville, TN and stopped at a little place called Yoder's Country Market in Bull's Gap on HWY 11 for a sandwich.

I had a country ham sandwich that was so good, I ordered two more just to take home with me. The country ha was shaved and piled high, with shredded lettuce, cojack cheese, mayo, mustard, and tomato that tasted like tomato, all on fresh Amish bread and it was around three bucks. We topped it off with a slice of pumpkin roll.

I also loaded up with a bunch of jams and apple butter to take home.

My oh my oh my.

Sundancer7

RE: Bull's Gap, TN Sun, 02/3/08 1:45 PM (permalink)
    Apparently Yoder's is a very common Amish name. I will bet that Fred Sauceman is aware of this location. Perhaps he will pipe in.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

Sundancer7

RE: Bull's Gap, TN Sun, 02/3/08 1:46 PM (permalink)
      Incidentally, I believe Archie "Grandpappy" Campbell from HeeHaw was from Bulls Gap, TN??? I think.

That is a very small place.

Paul E. Smith
      Knoxville, TN

Robearjr

• Total Posts: 1102
        RE: Bull's Gap, TN Sun, 02/3/08 1:56 PM (permalink)
        I know of a few Yoder stores in Maryland and Pennslyvania.

jman

RE: Bull's Gap, TN Sun, 02/3/08 1:56 PM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by Sundancer7

Paul E. Smith
          Knoxville, TN

It's pretty much a wide spot in the road.

jman

RE: Bull's Gap, TN Sun, 02/3/08 1:58 PM (permalink)
            I deal with a lot of Amish and Mennonite folks all over the country. The Yoder name is kinda like Smith with us "English".

Ort. Carlton.

• Total Posts: 3589
              RE: Bull's Gap, TN Mon, 02/4/08 11:43 PM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by Sundancer7
              Incidentally, I believe Archie "Grandpappy" Campbell from HeeHaw was from Bulls Gap, TN??? I think.
              Paul E. Smith
              Knoxville, TN

Sundancer,
              You are correct. Bull's Gap, for those of you who don't know its whereabouts, is on U. S. 11 E between Morristown, Tennessee and Greeneville... can't remember if it's in Hamblen County or the adjacent one.
              I think that for some strange reason there is a very large car dealership there.
              If you get to Morristown, I can recommend The Little Dutch Restaurant on South Cumberland Street right downtown very highly. It's been there since 1939.
              Not Ramblin' Through Hamblen, Ort. Carlton, on a lark in Clarke in Athens, Georgia.

Earl of Sandwich

• Total Posts: 600
                RE: Bull's Gap, TN Sun, 02/10/08 8:17 AM (permalink)
                I'm not aware of a car dealer there though it's been awhile since I've been there, but there was a large steam engine on display at Archie's birthplace. Archie got his start on WNOX radio in Knoxville and was one of the early pioneers of country music. Made his home in Knoxville and his son still lives in the house where he was raised up.

Buckshot

• Total Posts: 89
                  RE: Bull's Gap, TN Thu, 05/29/08 4:35 PM (permalink)
                  Yoder's Market has great homemade pimento cheese and country ham salad, along with really good country ham For the past two years, my mother has had them bake a whole country ham for Christmas. It's just up I81 from where I lived (Exit 12) before moving to Texas.

Bulls Gap is also home to one of the premier 4/10 mile high banked dirt tracks in the nation (Volunteer Speedway).

As late as the late 1960's, just up Hwy 11E from Bulls Gap in Mohawk, there was Sam Riley Chevrolet. It was a few miles from 11E, turning at Mohawk Crossroads and crossing Lick Creek. I'm not sure when the dealership closed, but Mr. Riley's grandson has a large used car lot on up 11E toward Greenville, about a mile from Mohawk Crossroads.

Buckshot

kimsetser

• Total Posts: 2
                    RE: Bull's Gap, TN Fri, 04/9/10 9:30 PM (permalink)
                    Just went to Yoder's in Bulls Gap twice this week. Fresh churned butter, pickled eggs, homemade salt risin bread...yummy! If you follow 11E from Knoxville and just stay on it, you will come through Morristown and then Whitesburg, then Bull's Gap (Yoder's here), keep going to Greeneville, Johnson City...all with no turns.

cecif

• Total Posts: 1412
                      RE: Bull's Gap, TN Sat, 04/10/10 2:20 PM (permalink)
                      kimsetser

Just went to Yoder's in Bulls Gap twice this week. Fresh churned butter, pickled eggs, homemade salt risin bread...yummy! If you follow 11E from Knoxville and just stay on it, you will come through Morristown and then Whitesburg, then Bull's Gap (Yoder's here), keep going to Greeneville, Johnson City...all with no turns.

I betcha I am the only person subscribed to this thread, can't remember why, but glad I am! Thanks kimsetser and Welcome to Roadfood!

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9552
                        RE: Bull's Gap, TN Sat, 04/10/10 11:56 PM (permalink)
                        Google is screwed up! I googled Yoders Country Market in Bulls Gap TN and it comes up with that address, but when you hit the web site address, It brings up the Yoder's in New Holland PA!

Sundancer7

RE: Bull's Gap, TN Fri, 07/8/11 6:34 PM (permalink)
                          Yoder's was featured tonight on WBIR TV.  It got real good reviews and it made me want to go up there and have a country ham sandwich and some of their other goodies like their pies.

Paul E. Smith
                          Knoxville, TN

ces1948

• Total Posts: 1499
                            RE: Bull's Gap, TN Fri, 07/8/11 11:49 PM (permalink)
                            It's been a couple of years now but there is a very similarly named (if not the same name) place in Baileyton, TN just up the road from Bulls Gap and Greeneville. They have a very nice little golf course in Baileyton that had some of the most reasonable rates around. My wife and I played there several times and also stopped at the Amish store/deli. Do not specifically recall having country ham but we did have a sandwich there and took home a few things from the store side . Actually Baileyton has 3 or 4 roadfood type places including a couple of meat and three's and a drive thru only burger and dog joint.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9552
                              RE: Bull's Gap, TN Sat, 07/9/11 3:35 AM (permalink)
                              There's a Yoder's Smokey Mountain Barbeque Company in Pikeville TN on Old State Highway 28 that sells grills, pig roasters and smokers built by Meadow Creek BBQ Equipment Co. in Lancaster County PA. Their equipment is first class! I've been drooling over their equipment for years.
                              http://www.smokymtbarbecue.com/
                              http://www.meadowcreekbbq.com/

Sundancer7

RE: Bull's Gap, TN Sat, 07/9/11 9:46 AM (permalink)
                                I have been fascinated with the Amish folks.  I first became acquainted with their culture many years ago when one of my responsibiliteswas in the Lancaster area.  I appreciate their work ethic and try to do business with folks like that.

Paul E. Smith
                                Knoxville, TN

carlton pierre

• Total Posts: 2500
                                  RE: Bull's Gap, TN Sun, 07/10/11 7:34 AM (permalink)
                                  The largest concentration of Amish is in Holmes County Ohio, and NE Ohio in general.  They have a fascinating history and an interesting tradition.  There are many Amish areas now though in Kentucky & Tennessee and other areas also.

jman

RE: Bull's Gap, TN Sun, 07/10/11 8:45 AM (permalink)
                                    Sundancer7

I have been fascinated with the Amish folks.  I first became acquainted with their culture many years ago when one of my responsibiliteswas in the Lancaster area.  I appreciate their work ethic and try to do business with folks like that.

Paul E. Smith
                                    Knoxville, TN

I have dealt with Amish and Mennonite folks for years and have developed many strong friendships with them.  I used to take my young boys with me when I visited Amish and Mennonite businesses so that they could understand the difference between wanting something and needing something.  Now as thirty-somethings, both of my sons teach their children that there is a big difference between wanting and needing.

Most of us "english" use the term Amish when in reality many of those we call Amish are either Amish, Mennonite, Hudderite, or The Bretheren.  While their core beliefs are similar, they are of different sects.     

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                      • No New Messages
                                      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                      • Locked w/ New Messages
                                      • Locked w/o New Messages
                                      • Read Message
                                      • Post New Thread
                                      • Reply to message
                                      • Post New Poll
                                      • Submit Vote
                                      • Post reward post
                                      • Delete my own posts
                                      • Delete my own threads
                                      • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com