Bum's BBQ, Ayden, NC

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
'QueperMan
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 45
2009/04/16 15:17:03 (permalink)

Bum's BBQ, Ayden, NC

Being from Eastern NC, I have found that many people around here become unappreciative of all the great BBQ restaurants that surround them.  For instance, BUM'S BBQ in Ayden, NC is often overshadowed by the legendary Skylight Inn which is only a mile down the road.  I decided to give Bum's a try for the first time today...it was pretty outstanding.

Bum's is hailed for their fried chicken, banana pudding and especially their side items, more specifically, collards. The town of Ayden, NC is known as "The collard capital of the world" and even throws a Collard Festival every year.  With that said, it was a given that collards were on my list of side items. 

I ordered a large BBQ plate with collards, white slaw, and cornbread.  I found the BBQ even better than The Skylights.  The sign at Bum's said "Wood Cooked BBQ", which was not needed in writing because I smelled and tasted the smokey flavor right off the bat.  It was chunky and fairly lean with a few pieces of skin lingering around.  The collards were also fantastic, no vinegar needed.  The slaw was simple, creamy and sweet-- just how I like it.  The cornbread is almost identical to The Skylights and I have read that it is the same recipe...for some reason I preferred Bum's again-- 1/2 inch thick, crispy and not sweet.

Finally, after hearing so much about their banana pudding, I had to take one for the team and test it out.  It really was pretty good, served warm with real meringue  (not that whipped cream/cool whip mess).  It was really sweet and may have had some cinnamon in it.  Overall, the meal was more than awesome and I now have another favorite BBQ joint right in my own "backyard".

A little more info on Bum's...since there isn't a lot about it on the Web.  The most I have heard about it is in the book HOLY SMOKE which is all about NC BBQ.  Bum's is cafeteria style and serves different specials everyday.  I was hoping for a BBQ/BBQ chicken combo plate, but was told that BBQ chicken is served on Fridays, today's special seemed to be roast beef, but I saw a young guy in the back grilling up nice looking hamburgers which could also be used for a hamburger steak meal.

Many say the star of Bum's is the country style veggies.  From what I saw, there was of course collards, yams, mashed potatoes, green beans, cabbage, rutabagas, black eyed peas, cole slaw and potato salad (that's what I remember, there may have been more).  I would have loved to try some of the other veggies, but I must have cole slaw when I eat BBQ-- something about that combination.  Their fried chicken looked really good too, I did not see any Brunswick stew, but on the menu there was something called Chicken Stew...I may have to try this one out next time.

I have a few pics, but they are from my cell phone as I was not prepared to be Roadfooding today, but I mainly just wanted to get some info about Bum's out there and see if any of you fellow BBQ fans have ever tried it out and also get you thinking about some great Roadfood joints in your own areas.
post edited by 'QueperMan - 2009/04/16 17:59:41

32 Replies Related Threads

ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8334
    Re:Bum's BBQ, Ayden, NC 2009/04/16 15:43:26 (permalink)
    Wonderful sounding meal...I had NC BBQ for the first time a couple of years ago in Raleigh-and fell in love...Last fall it was Lexinton style in Greensboro-also excellent. Love the coleslaw with it and of, course banana pudding...
    Captain Morgan
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 510
    Re:Bum's BBQ, Ayden, NC 2009/04/16 16:14:59 (permalink)
    excellent review
    Buffalo Tarheel
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 503
    Re:Bum's BBQ, Ayden, NC 2009/04/16 17:01:55 (permalink)
    'QueperMan,

Thanks for the write-up.  I would be glad to eat at Bum's when back in eastern NC.  It sounds like some great food.

RibDog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 593
    Re:Bum's BBQ, Ayden, NC 2009/04/16 17:05:48 (permalink)
    Great write-up!  I know it was a great write-up because now I am hungry.  And that is how I tell.

Thanks.

John
    'QueperMan
    Junior Burger
    Re:Bum's BBQ, Ayden, NC 2009/04/16 17:56:26 (permalink)
    Thanks guys...I want to make sure everyone sees this.

I checked my Holy Smoke NC BBQ book and BUM's does still cook with hardwood coals.  I thought I had read that they turned to gas like many other BBQ places in the state, but that is not the case.  I just wanted to make that clear because Bum's deserves all the credit for preparing their fantastic cue the hard way.
    douginvirginia
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 462
    Re:Bum's BBQ, Ayden, NC 2009/04/17 07:37:49 (permalink)
    'QueperMan

Thanks guys...I want to make sure everyone sees this.

I checked my Holy Smoke NC BBQ book and BUM's does still cook with hardwood coals.  I thought I had read that they turned to gas like many other BBQ places in the state, but that is not the case.  I just wanted to make that clear because Bum's deserves all the credit for preparing their fantastic cue the hard way.

Very nice review, and special thanks for the wood confirmation. To me, it's important to recognize the places that don't take shortcuts.
    brentk
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 251
    Re:Bum's BBQ, Ayden, NC 2009/04/17 08:52:21 (permalink)
    Ayden is a jewel of a town for lovers of southern food.  When I am in the area, I hit Skylight for Q and then pick up a passel of veggies from Bum's to take home.  Nobody beats their collards and rutabagas.
    puddlejumper
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 9
    Re:Bum's BBQ, Ayden, NC 2009/04/17 19:41:02 (permalink)
    IMHO, and being from this county where Bum's is, I can easily say I prefer Bum's to Skylight, or Pete Jones' as we call it. Bum's does use wood to cook with. I have been in the smoke house out back. The pits, the roof, the floor, looked like I was in a time warp from the 50's. Very cool. My family picked up a whole pig there one time for a family  reunion. I will never forget that. That is what got me started in making my own que. Not a thing on the menu I don't like, even the cheeseburgers. I go back there every visit when I go home. It is one of two stops I must do. The other is Dixie Queen, in Winterville.

Pete Jones' is good, but no frills. Meaning no veggies. No bacon in green beans. No yams. No collards. You gotta have collards people with that corn bread! lol
    'QueperMan
    Junior Burger
    Re:Bum's BBQ, Ayden, NC 2009/04/17 21:45:49 (permalink)
    I'm glad I didn't get a lot of hollerin at for saying I like something better than "Pete Jones'...sometimes good bbq isn't all about the pig.
    DLnWPBrown
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 832
    Re:Bum's BBQ, Ayden, NC 2009/04/23 16:12:31 (permalink)
    puddlejumper

IMHO, and being from this county where Bum's is, I can easily say I prefer Bum's to Skylight, or Pete Jones' as we call it. Bum's does use wood to cook with. I have been in the smoke house out back. The pits, the roof, the floor, looked like I was in a time warp from the 50's. Very cool. My family picked up a whole pig there one time for a family  reunion. I will never forget that. That is what got me started in making my own que. Not a thing on the menu I don't like, even the cheeseburgers. I go back there every visit when I go home. It is one of two stops I must do. The other is Dixie Queen, in Winterville.

Pete Jones' is good, but no frills. Meaning no veggies. No bacon in green beans. No yams. No collards. You gotta have collards people with that corn bread! lol

puddlejumper you just had to mention Dixie Queen didn't you... I am craving seafood now, especially their fried shrimp. I haven't been since moving in 2002 and nothing comes close up here except Mayflower in norht Raleigh.

Queper you are right about Bum's and I am guilty of not talking about them either. You mentioned Bum's cornbread, it is the same as Skylight Inn's but not as thick. Love it when it's thin and crispy.

Great review and thanks for you 2 making me hungry.

Dennis in Cary 
    blueheronNC
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re:Bum's BBQ, Ayden, NC 2009/05/15 23:02:08 (permalink)
    Took the drive over from Durham, NC to Ayden to have lunch at Bum's today.  I love heading over occasionally because in my opinion it's some of the best Southern food in the state, and the veggies are without compare. 

Normally I've gone for the fried chicken because it's some of the best you can find anywhere - wonderfully crispy and tasty skin with tender and juicy meat inside.  A meat-n-two veggie plate will run you $5.84.  However, today I noticed they do a combo. plate for about 75 cents more, so I got the combo pulled pork and white meat chicken with collards, green beans, an extra side of rutabagas, banana pudding for dessert, and sweet tea to wash it all down. 

The BBQ was fantastic - very tender with a subtle smoky flavor and a traditional eastern NC sauce.  I have to say it's pretty much the best east-of-Raleigh traditional eastern NC 'que I've had.  Although - I still prefer the style at Allen & Son in Chapel Hill, NC as my favorite BBQ in the state.

The veggies go without saying - I have yet to find better in North Carolina.  In fact, as testament to this, I took back home with me two quarts of collards, one quart of green beans, and one pint each of black-eyed peas and rutabagas.  oh yes - my family is treating me like a god, and we have righteous stuff to feast on for days. 

The banana pudding was nice too - a very traditional rendition of it but perfectly executed.  High ratio of vanilla wafer to pudding.  I think I still prefer the version at Pam's Farmhouse in Raleigh, NC - they do a high banana-to-pound-cake ratio and the mashed banana has a bit of a bite to it - not sure what the ingredient is but it's quite fascinating. 

I've included a photo of a previous Bum's lunch of mine:

post edited by blueheronNC - 2009/05/15 23:03:32
    carolina bob
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3420
    Re:Bum's BBQ, Ayden, NC 2009/05/15 23:18:35 (permalink)
    Welcome to Roadfood.com, blueheronNC. The fried chicken in your photo looks delicious. One of these days, when I'm down in North Carolina's Piedmont region, I've got to head east and check out all these great eastern NC barbeque places like Bum's and the Skylight.
    'QueperMan
    Junior Burger
    Re:Bum's BBQ, Ayden, NC 2009/05/16 19:06:05 (permalink)
    Nocarolina, are you from NC, or does your name stand for something else?
    carolina bob
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Bum's BBQ, Ayden, NC 2009/05/16 20:08:02 (permalink)
    'QueperMan, I dearly wish that I was from North Carolina, but, alas, I'm a lifelong resident of Chicagoland. My father, however, was born and raised in Mount Airy NC, the home of Andy Griffith and the famed Snappy Lunch. Roadtrips down to NC to visit relatives have been a major part of my life for over fifty years; I love the Tarheel State and wish that circumstances allowed me to relocate down there. Unfortunately they don't, so I have to settle for driving down two or three times a year ( I just got back about ten days ago. ) 
    'QueperMan
    Junior Burger
    Re:Bum's BBQ, Ayden, NC 2009/05/17 18:47:01 (permalink)
    Well that's great that you have those memories with your family.  I really am thankful to be from here and look forward to roaming the state a little more (and trying that Snappy Lunch) after I finish school.
    DLnWPBrown
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Bum's BBQ, Ayden, NC 2009/05/17 19:08:08 (permalink)
    nocarolina

Welcome to Roadfood.com, blueheronNC. The fried chicken in your photo looks delicious. One of these days, when I'm down in North Carolina's Piedmont region, I've got to head east and check out all these great eastern NC barbeque places like Bum's and the Skylight.

nocarolina , when you come back down this fall, we'll plan a trip down to Ayden and you can try out Skylight Inn and Bum's. The cornbread at Bum's is pretty damn good.

Dennis in Cary
    DLnWPBrown
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Bum's BBQ, Ayden, NC 2009/05/17 19:09:45 (permalink)
    'QueperMan

Nocarolina, are you from NC, or does your name stand for something else?

Q, I tried to talk him into moving down when we met at Lexington Barbecue #1 recently. I imagine Chicago is pretty warm in the winter time....hehehehe.

Dennis in Cary 
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8334
    Re:Bum's BBQ, Ayden, NC 2009/05/17 19:16:46 (permalink)
    Funny, Dennis!!!!!
    carolina bob
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Bum's BBQ, Ayden, NC 2009/05/17 19:41:48 (permalink)
    You're right, Dennis. It's so warm up here in the winter that I just about burn up in that heavy winter coat of mine! 
    DLnWPBrown
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Bum's BBQ, Ayden, NC 2009/05/17 20:05:58 (permalink)
    ann , I know it's fairly warm where you are in the weather as well... so warm in fact that the fish go stiff in the water as if they were cooked...... 

nocar (LOL) I can't say much about the cold.... I wear a down filled coat all winter here because I am so cold natured. Hey, we did get snow a couple of times last winter. We even got half a foot the first time.

Dennis in Cary
    steveindurham3
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 31
    Re:Bum's BBQ, Ayden, NC 2010/07/28 15:34:41 (permalink)
    I'm heading down to B's and Bum's on Saturday.  Probably will have just the banana pudding at Bum's which is excellent but will be getting rutabagas, collards, green beans and cornbread to go.  All of their vegetables are awesome.  Can't wait.  I think they have the best vegetables I have ever had.

Looking forward to the BBQ Chicken and barbeuce at B's.

3fan4evr
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 62
    Re:Bum's BBQ, Ayden, NC 2010/07/30 03:54:30 (permalink)
    Can we get an address for Bum's ?
    brentk
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 251
    Re:Bum's BBQ, Ayden, NC 2010/07/30 07:05:26 (permalink)
    Search Bum's in Ayden on Google:

Bum's Restaurant Place page
    566 3rd St
    Ayden, NC 28513-7247
    (252) 746-6880
    3fan4evr
    Hamburger
    Re:Bum's BBQ, Ayden, NC 2010/07/31 11:20:29 (permalink)
    Thx BK
    steveindurham3
    Junior Burger
    Re:Bum's BBQ, Ayden, NC 2010/08/02 09:39:42 (permalink)
    Went to B's on Saturday and got there at 10:30 am.  Ordered the 1/2 BBQ chicken with potatoes and green beans.  The chicken and potatoes were wonderful along with their corn sticks.  The line was out the door by 10:45 AM.  Judy Drach (one of the owners) was nice as she could be.  Got a BBQ sandwich to go which I had on Sunday that was incredible - very lean.  B's cooks over charcoal and has great Q.  When making the trip to this area you must try all 3 places -B's, Bum's and Skylight Inn.

Went to Bum's next and got a pound of BBQ to go along with pints of collards, slaw,  rutabagas, and cornbread.  The cornbread was great (had some pieces during my travels on Sat.).  Had some rutabagas along with B's BBQ yesterday.  Great folks at Bum's. Kicking myself for not getting any green beans.

Then went to Skylight Inn and got a BBQ sandwich to eat for a late lunch/ early dinner (around 4PM).  I have been to Skylight Inn 3 times and this was the best BBQ I had from there .  The BBQ this time was fantastic and also got some cornbread to go.  Always is a trip to see the limited menu and no cash register at the Skylight Inn but they have great barbecue.

3fan4evr
    Hamburger
    Re:Bum's BBQ, Ayden, NC 2010/08/17 22:32:56 (permalink)
    Well after hearing all the wonderful things said about Bum's, I decided to take a roadtrip to Ayden. After getting sidetracked, and going about 40 miles out of my way, I finally arrived :)

I rode down with a couple of friends. That's them taking a smoke break.

The pig greets you at the door, and explains why you're here :)

The counter

and the food line

and the sit & grub area

We arrived about 1:30, they close @ 2 on Tuesdays. I guess that's the reason for the empty dining room. If you look back right, that door leads to a huge dining area.

I had the BBQ pork & fried chicken combo, w/tater salad & green beans. I'm more of a BBQ chicken man myself, but the fried bird was OF THE HOOK !! Probably the best I've ever eaten. The pork was really good, and so were the sides. Now the cornbread & 'naner puddin' were really something to write home about. I'd like to try the cornbread just out of the oven, but even cold, it was really good. The folks working were VERY nice. I asked if I could take pix, she said "Sure thang !!" :)

Definately worth the ride down from the Capital city. Will do it again very soon :)

steveindurham3
    Junior Burger
    Re:Bum's BBQ, Ayden, NC 2010/08/23 15:44:15 (permalink)
    ^ Great report 3 fan 4 ever - next time you have to try the collards as well.  Different type of collards from anywhere else.  I have to go back and try the fried chicken myself.

Went to Wilber's last Sat. and got the 1/2 fried chicken with blackeyed peas.  Great food.  Got a pound of barbecue to go. Had some yesterday - very good.

Going to Grady's in Dudley, NC on Saturday - it is supposed to be awesome as well.
    bbq1
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re:Bum's BBQ, Ayden, NC 2012/05/23 08:17:25 (permalink)
    WOW! THANKS!
    I'm Larry Dennis, chief cook and bottle washer of Bum's Restaurant and Catering, this review was a great way to start my day! Dad"s (Bum's) birthday party is Saturday June 9th 4am till 7pm, y'all stop in if you can!
    Keep up with our events on Face Book, I'll try to post a link.
    THANKS AGAIN!
    w.facebook.com/pages/Bums-Restaurant-and-Catering/174757229208
    post edited by bbq1 - 2012/05/23 08:20:45
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10231
    Re:Bum's BBQ, Ayden, NC 2012/05/23 08:35:33 (permalink)
    bbq1-
    Welcome to Roadfood!  Thanks for telling us about the birthday party.  Can you tell us more about it, such as will there be any special food or festivities.  Here is a link for the Facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bums-Restaurant-and-Catering/174757229208

BTW, I made it to Bum's for the first time in March and loved my food and the atmosphere.  It is easy to see why Jane & Michael Stern like the place so much.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1