Burger Jones, Minneapolis, Minnesota

Author
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6321
2009/06/17 22:36:07 (permalink)

Burger Jones, Minneapolis, Minnesota

There have been a flurry of new burger joints opening up in the Twin Cities including both independents and chains. Recently Sonic, Smashburger and 5 Guys have opened in the area. Bulldog opened in St. Paul and offered yet another Jucy Lucy to the burger wars. Two, a bit more upscale burger joints, one in St. Paul, American Burger Bar and one in Minneapolis, Burger Jones opened.

Yesterday I decided on a late lunch and drove in to Burger Jones which happened to be right close to where I used to live in Minneapolis 26 years ago. The area has changed quite a bit. Burger Jones is a new concept restaurant developed by Parasole Restaurant Holdings that opened a month ago.

http://www.parasole.com/ourcompany.php

They are probably best known for Manny's Steakhouse and they also have other high quality restaurants in Chino Latino, Salut Bar Americain, Pittsburgh Blue,  Figlio, Muffuletta and Good Earth. For a corporate holdings company they seem to push quality. Even though a burger joint, the expectations were pretty high for Burger Jones. I suspect they would like to spin this into a chain but for now there is only the one.

Their logo is a cartoonish rather straight arrow looking guy with a smirk. I'm not sure what they are trying to convey unless it is young urban professional. The menu is primarily burgers and you will figure out quickly why else go there. They are rather expensive at $7 to $10 just for a burger. Bar drinks, I'm sure, is what they desire to push along with the burgers. I sat at the bar.

The restaurant is located at the end of a strip shopping center that also has a Barnes & Noble and a Punch Pizzeria (one of the better local wood-fired pizzerias).
The center is across the road from Lake Calhoun, a city park. This is one of the tonier areas of Minneapolis.

Interior dining looking toward the open kitchen

Looking the opposite way from my bar stool toward the outdoor seating. Don't be fooled by the empty seats at 2:30 PM. There has been a long wait. I think they were keeping this clear for what appeared to be an office group that came in at 3:00 PM.

This is the bar. They featured Maker's Mark and Knob Creek so I didn't think they were all that bad. They also had lots of beer on tap. I ordered a Surly Bender a local microbrew that is damn good. The rest of the country is missing out.

I decided to order what I thought was the most unique and perhaps outrageous item on the menu, the White Trash Burger with a cross of chicken-fried bacon, a pile of fried cheese curds, and plenty of Velveeta. You want to know why the guy has a smirk? The concoction was topped with a toothpick flowing the Iowa state flag to hold it together. That's a Minnesota rivalry joke.

Here's Charlie the bartender tilting the tray for my photo. Did I tell you they were a very friendly bunch? Yes, they were. Also note I skipped several different varieties of fries for the sake of my heart tackling this concoction.

So how was it? Excellent. Definitely a gourmet burger consisting of a custom grind of chuck, hanger steak and brisket. They asked me without any prompting how I wanted it. A little pink I asked. Velveeta you say? You really have to try it. It was not that bad. OK, here is the mouth watering tongue hanging shot.

A little pricey, maybe new jitters trying to hard, a bit antiseptic for a burger joint, not really my demographic any longer but interesting nonetheless. I think the group that came in at 3:00 PM fit them. They looked like they may have been an advertising agency.

1 Reply Related Threads

ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3531
    Re:Burger Jones, Minneapolis, Minnesota 2009/06/17 22:56:43 (permalink)
    love the signage outside!
    and the sesame seed roll!
    and love the silver metal tray and outdoor seating!

I prefer straight ground chuck, but that's just my personal tastes..

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1