Burger King comes to my Chinese city.....................

Author
senor boogie woogie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 239
2010/07/16 08:49:01 (permalink)

Burger King comes to my Chinese city.....................

Howdy, American living in China in the city of Hangzhou!

There has been a second Burger King opening in the city and we are very excited. The first one was built at the train station which is over on one end of town and kind of a pain to get to. Everytime I had to take the train, I would go into the Burger King.

The Whoppers are wonderful. Everything else is so so. The only other places here to get a beef burger is McDonalds or a bar.

What's funny is when I lived in the USA, I didn't do Burger King that much. It was crap and there were much better choices. I think the cleanliness and the quality of the Chinese stores are better than the Americans ones, but a Chinese fast food worker are paid much less which means more staff.

Many foreigners here were thrilled when Subway came, but I think for the most part that they are garbage and worthy of avoiding. However, that bread lures me back occasionally, simply because good bread is difficult to locate here. I wish they would just sell the bread for $2 USD a loaf, instead of selling us 20 cents worth of lunch meat and vegetables for $3 USD more.

Taco Bell has failed in China. Chinese do not like Mexican food.

Hooters failed in Hangzhou. I thought their food was awful. The girls were nice though. I have always found that place to be cheesy, tacky, and rudely redneck. There is a store or two in Shanghai doing well.

4 Replies Related Threads

Louis
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 725
    Re:Burger King comes to my Chinese city..................... 2010/07/16 08:58:20 (permalink)
    Very interesting.  I'm sure a lot of us are interested in restaurant conditions (whether fast food or otherwise) in places that we'll never go to.  Feel free to tell us more, if you care to.

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15178
    Re:Burger King comes to my Chinese city..................... 2010/07/16 16:38:23 (permalink)
    Yum brands is doing well as a group with their Chinese Operations.  I think your comment on the loss of "Mexican food" business in China is interesting. I'll do some brand comparisons when I can to see if that comment is China-wide or just in your area.  KFC certainly has done well all over the country.
    plb
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1028
    Re:Burger King comes to my Chinese city..................... 2010/07/16 17:06:52 (permalink)
    Chinese are very race conscious.  They view the races as a rigid hierarchy, with the Chinese at the top.  They rank Mexicans fairly low.  Most Chinese even in the US will not eat Mexican food.  Someone would have to be very naive to try opening a Mexican place in China.
    badbyron722
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 307
    Re:Burger King comes to my Chinese city..................... 2010/07/17 23:26:44 (permalink)
    Intresting.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1