Burger King roll out carts offering free samples

Author
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3716
2012/04/06 08:25:51 (permalink)

Burger King roll out carts offering free samples

Burger King will roll out carts offering free samples of new menu items on April 18. The move has some city food cart vendors worried the fast food giant will put them out of business.
City food trucks may soon face some royal competition.
Burger King is rolling out a fleet of fast food joints on wheels later this month that will serve up free samples of new menu items.
The sampling trucks will hit the streets April 18 in 40 yet-to-be-identified cities, sending nuggets of fear through the city’s food cart industry.
“I’ll be pushed out of business,” lamented Fawad Khan, who operates a falafel cart near the Staten Island Ferry terminal in lower Manhattan.
“You see four and five trucks on the street already. That doesn’t even count the street vendors. What are we gonna do?”
The Burger King vehicles will dish out crispy chicken strips, smoothies and frappes, among other goodies.
Ali Ali, who operates the King Tut food cart outside of Bellevue Hospital, said he relishes the chance to go up against Burger King.
“We’ll see who makes the cheapest food,” said Ali.

http://www.nydailynews.co...&YM_MID=%60mmid%60

10 Replies Related Threads

Vic Cardenas
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 177
    Re:Burger King roll out carts offering free samples 2012/04/06 09:37:24 (permalink)
    Anthony Bourdain recently stated it was only a matter of time before the bad guys elbowed in on this business concept. Frankly, I'm not too worried. I think the consumer for the most part will weed them out. If you saw a burger king truck parked next to...for example, an awesome BBQ or Peruvian truck... would you buy the BBQ or Peruvian? Or the same, lame value meal that you can buy at a convenient drive-thru down on just about every corner for about the same price as the BBQ or Peruvian?

Not only that, but the consumer can perceive the differences between being served food from a true craftsman, verses some snot-nosed 18-year-old who doesn't care about the product. That's the very reason gourmet food trucks are gaining popularity, because of the desire for increased quality made by true craftsmen at value prices.
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Burger King roll out carts offering free samples 2012/04/06 09:48:51 (permalink)
    Your 100% right on the money on all accounts. But that said the free samples to kick off a new truck or product is a good idea.

Vic Cardenas
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 177
    Re:Burger King roll out carts offering free samples 2012/04/06 10:15:16 (permalink)
    For sure... plus I'm sure that they have all sorts of connects and such that will play to their advantage. But seriously, put you and me next to them and we will dominate their ass. Put you and me next to a real burger king, maybe not so much.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:Burger King roll out carts offering free samples 2012/04/06 10:35:35 (permalink)
    They have unlimited resources to use for marketing and testing. Of course they will do it in the biggest media markets...for greatest publicity. It can be a way to send a message from the big bully (we are still here) but the bully does not want to stay and fight the fight. The lunch money is not enough for that big bully.

It may be away just to test for pop-up Burger KIng on a mobile level... that will never be a permanent fixture. It would also be great to test overseas...while scouting location and looking for feedback without location.

Satellite locations in major markets often struggle because the difference in standard size and limited menus. Can I have a Whaler a Whopper a KIng whatever? Sorry we only have this and that. But...you're Burger KIng!!! No...the Burger KIng cart. I want to talk to the manager. Hello!
    PurpleCheetah
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 151
    Re:Burger King roll out carts offering free samples 2012/04/06 22:13:22 (permalink)
    "the free samples to kick off a new truck or product is a good idea" I second that.
    Tristan225
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 352
    Re:Burger King roll out carts offering free samples 2012/04/07 00:44:08 (permalink)
    They better have to play by all the same BS zoning rules and approval process I do. O ya and what about "it's unfair competition with the brick and mortars"?
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:Burger King roll out carts offering free samples 2012/04/07 01:05:33 (permalink)
    What would be unfair about the competition?
    Tristan225
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 352
    Re:Burger King roll out carts offering free samples 2012/04/07 08:45:34 (permalink)
    Apparently you have never heard this absurd comment from a municipal official. 
    CCinNJ

What would be unfair about the competition?

Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Burger King roll out carts offering free samples 2012/04/07 08:53:23 (permalink)
    I heard those exact words March 14th 2012 when two vendors (I was one) were told we could not vend the St Pat's parade in downtown Springfield because they didn't want us to "Swoop in and take all the profits from the B&M restaurants in the downtown area."
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:Burger King roll out carts offering free samples 2012/04/07 10:30:16 (permalink)
    When cities allow big box store in ...I guess they don't think it is unfair. They often swoop in and eliminate many local businesses that can't compete.

Whatever the answer to why they allow that...should be the same. They stay out of it because the business of profit and sales is none of their business. When it does not involve restaurants...that often serve alcohol...maybe for free.

That sucks.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1