Burger King's ribs

Author
Louis
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 732
2010/06/11 19:46:20 (permalink)

Burger King's ribs

I almost never have anything nice to say about Burger King.  It's a McDonald's wannabe.  They have nothing to distinguish themselves in the hamburger fast food market...until now.

I wasn't expecting anything at all, but I tried their ribs--mainly because I thought, "What a weird thing to have in a hamburger joint."  Their ribs comes with barbecue sauce on the side.

I figured it was some ersatz piece of tastless meat served up for the millions--the usual fare that you find in fast food places--something to fill a void in your stomach when you simply have to eat something.

Boy, was I surprised!  These spare short ribs tasted as good as (and actually better) than some that I've had in independent barbecue places in the South.  They were good and black; they had been in the fire for quite a while, and they had flavor all through them.  Also they were not skimpy on the meat, either--which is what I had feared when I purchased them.

Even more surprising to me was that I didn't have to put any barbecue sauce on them.  They were so good that they could stand alone without any sauce at all--which is a compliment in my book.

"These are so good," I thought, "they should change their name to Burger Rib.  I'll bet some Burger King executive gets fired, though, for being responsible for something that tastes good."

Well, I don't know about that last thought, but the company is going to do away with the ribs shortly.  I knew it wouldn't last.  Maybe they can make them seasonal, sort of like the McDonald's does with their almost tasteless McRib.

post edited by Louis - 2010/06/11 19:55:47

9 Replies Related Threads

plb
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1036
    Re:Burger King's ribs 2010/06/11 19:53:47 (permalink)
    There is an article in today's (Fri.) Wall Street Journal about how Burger King is running out of ribs due to their popularity.
    Louis
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Burger King's ribs 2010/06/11 19:57:08 (permalink)
    plb

There is an article in today's (Fri.) Wall Street Journal about how Burger King is running out of ribs due to their popularity.

I can see why!

boyardee65
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1460
    Re:Burger King's ribs 2010/06/11 23:08:41 (permalink)
      Had you done a search on this site, you would have found a much different opinion from a lot of posters. I personally woulden't reccomend these ribs to anyone who makes their own or those who are serious about BBQ. I found them to be dry, almost too much smoke like it was fake flavor.

In my humble opinion, this is a poor attempt at American regional cuisine.

David O.
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6186
    Re:Burger King's ribs 2010/06/12 12:18:40 (permalink)
    Louis, tell the truth, you work for Burger King, right?
    Louis
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Burger King's ribs 2010/06/12 15:15:58 (permalink)
    My experience with the ribs may have been a fluke on my part--maybe a one store exception to the rule, because I was expecting absolutely nothing.  One thing that did occur to me after I made that post was wondering if they can repeat the performance.  The rule 99% of the time is that a chain restaurant can't.  But time will tell.  If they never bring them back, then we'll know that the nation's experience was at great variance from my own.

rebeltruce
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 702
    Re:Burger King's ribs 2010/06/14 08:06:15 (permalink)
    I went through a BK drive through last week and noticed they had a special, if you order a combo meal (I like the Tender Crisp chicken Sandwich) you could by a three piece rib for a $1.99. So I did...

They were terrible.....allot worse then I actually expected them to be. They were dry....cold....and nasty.

Normally I'd give them a second chance....not this time.
    Texianjoe
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 639
    Re:Burger King's ribs 2010/06/15 08:31:48 (permalink)
    After reading this thread yesterday I got curious about the BK ribs and decided to check them out.  I went to 5 BKs and all were sold out.  These ribs can not be that popular.  All had an oval sticker over the menu board that read "Sold Out", even one BK that was a little out the way where I was sure they would not be sold out.

Being a paranoid conspiracy theorist I have come to the conclusion that this shortage is just a marketing ploy, they even had the preprinted "Sold Out" stickers ready.  Get people curious about the ribs and then flood their store with them.

joe
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15305
    Re:Burger King's ribs 2010/06/15 09:29:18 (permalink)
    Joe
     Go one step further.  Use the old "Bait and Switch" technique. Get folks to come in looking for the 'product'  ("Sorry, Ribs sold out, try a Whopper") and switch them to something else.   Old Old technique !
    Louis
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Burger King's ribs 2010/06/15 10:05:19 (permalink)
    I've come to the conclusion that the ribs I've had are a fluke.  I've eaten their ribs three times in four days and have shared them with others who have had the same reaction that I've had--all good.  And then I read all the comments that say they are terrible.  So I must be having an isolated experience where perhaps the technology to cook the ribs and the staff of that particular Burger King is on a par of what the BK executives envisioned when they dreamed up this idea.  I thought what I experienced was widespread, but I see that's not so.  Oh well.  What can I expect from a restaurant chain?

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1