Burger Queen and Queenie Bee!

Author
AndreaB
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1303
2004/12/22 10:11:48 (permalink)

Burger Queen and Queenie Bee!

Do any Burger Queens still exist? We had one in Louisville KY when I was growing up. I loved Burger Queen and Queenie Bee was amusing.

Andrea

15 Replies Related Threads

TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4538
    RE: Burger Queen and Queenie Bee! 2004/12/22 10:15:35 (permalink)
    About 25 years ago, when I was finishing up high school, there was a Burger Queen in Covington Ky, on Madison near 15th street or so.

Wonderful burgers. Really great.

Unfortunately, they are long gone.
    PammyJo
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 24
    RE: Burger Queen and Queenie Bee! 2004/12/22 17:15:47 (permalink)
    I remember our Burger Queen...and I remember when it changed to a Druther's.

Here's an old article from the Courier-Journal (Louisville paper) about the two restuarants: http://www.courier-journal.com/business/news/001108dq.html
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4538
    RE: Burger Queen and Queenie Bee! 2004/12/22 17:20:24 (permalink)
    Ah, thats right.

The ones locally, before terminating, did change name to Druthers
    FoodDude
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 27
    RE: Burger Queen and Queenie Bee! 2005/01/13 21:38:56 (permalink)
    In 1978 we were driving to Houston and we stopped at a Burger Queen in Nashville. I remember it because I felt the burger I had had too much mayo and lettuce on it. It was not a pleasent experience for me. But I was 12 at the time and my taste buds were not quite developed yet.
    Wallyum
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 627
    RE: Burger Queen and Queenie Bee! 2005/01/13 23:20:35 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by TJ Jackson

About 25 years ago, when I was finishing up high school, there was a Burger Queen in Covington Ky, on Madison near 15th street or so.

Wonderful burgers. Really great.

Unfortunately, they are long gone.

My brother in law worked at the one out on Donaldson Road in front of the Super Bowl while he was in high school. I ate there twice. Once in my senior year when we were going to a basketball tournament at Lloyd High School and a second time about a year later when I worked at the airport. The only reason I tried it a second time was to see if the high school visit the previous year had been some kind of hideous fluke. It wasn't. It was as bad the second time around, almost to the point of being comical. The only fast food burger experience that was worse was a late night Hardee's visit I made out of desperation on I-75 one night. My brother in law still finds it hysterical that I tried it twice. I don't remember the BQ on Madison. What else was it close to?
    TIPPY LEE
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 135
    RE: Burger Queen and Queenie Bee! 2005/01/14 02:54:36 (permalink)
    In the mid-seventies, here in the little ol' burg of Prestonsburg, Kentucky, we had a Burger Queen...Of course, being in high school at the time that was one of the local hang-outs. Plus, the burgers were cheap!...Don't remember too much about it now, except some of us had bets on "The Schmode", a guy like Mikey "He'll eat anything!"
    Anyway ol' Schmode wound up eating around 15 of the cheeseburgers, and won himself all of $ 5.00!!?!...I guess now that would would be considered cruel & unusual punishment!...LOL!
    Later "Queenie" became Druther's around 1979. Had a great salad bar!!
    Alas, everything gives way and closes.....Tom B. in Burger Queen-less Eastern Kentucky.
    Wallyum
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Burger Queen and Queenie Bee! 2005/01/14 03:38:14 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by TIPPY LEE

In the mid-seventies, here in the little ol' burg of Prestonsburg, Kentucky, we had a Burger Queen...Of course, being in high school at the time that was one of the local hang-outs. Plus, the burgers were cheap!...Don't remember too much about it now, except some of us had bets on "The Schmode", a guy like Mikey "He'll eat anything!"
    Anyway ol' Schmode wound up eating around 15 of the cheeseburgers, and won himself all of $ 5.00!!?!...I guess now that would would be considered cruel & unusual punishment!...LOL!

We had a version of the Schmode in college who would eat a Big Mac in one bite as long as we paid for the sandwich. He'd stuff it into his face, basically folding it into every possible space, then take ten minutes to swallow it a little at a time. At first you could barely see him moving his jaws, but after a few minutes it was obvious that he was making progress. At the end of the feat, he'd have tears rolling down his face from laughing, special sauce dripping out his nose and lathered on his face. He'd compose himself, then march up to the counter and ask for A (as in one,) napkin. The look on the girl at the counter was one of the best parts of the whole show. He only did this on special occasions, but I was lucky enough to witness it twice. On one occasion my notoriously tightwad little brother was with us, and he even ponied up to see this. It was gross, but I have to admit few things have made me laugh harder in life.
    TIPPY LEE
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 135
    RE: Burger Queen and Queenie Bee! 2005/01/14 04:26:21 (permalink)
    Wallyum, these guy's must have been brothers!...I guess everybody had one of these "daredevils"!.... Don't know what happened to ol' Schmode, as I moved away for some "life-lessons" a few years after that...I would like to think that he is on the Roadfood prowl checking out the road cuisine on life's roadfood journey!.....Tom B.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15178
    RE: Burger Queen and Queenie Bee! 2005/01/14 08:57:02 (permalink)

I get the image of one of these Belushi look-alikes, now in full Yuppie-garb, coming into a 'Morton's' Or maybe Peter Lugar's and pulling the same stunt with about a 24 or 32 oz Steak.
    I have a feeling that the record setter at the Big Texan, the guy that downed that 72oz steak in less than 9.5 minutes would have looked much the same as your burger-consumer !
    FoodDude
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 27
    RE: Burger Queen and Queenie Bee! 2005/01/14 21:00:04 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Wallyum

quote:

We had a version of the Schmode in college who would eat a Big Mac in one bite as long as we paid for the sandwich. He'd stuff it into his face, basically folding it into every possible space, then take ten minutes to swallow it a little at a time. At first you could barely see him moving his jaws, but after a few minutes it was obvious that he was making progress. At the end of the feat, he'd have tears rolling down his face from laughing, special sauce dripping out his nose and lathered on his face. He'd compose himself, then march up to the counter and ask for A (as in one,) napkin. The look on the girl at the counter was one of the best parts of the whole show. He only did this on special occasions, but I was lucky enough to witness it twice. On one occasion my notoriously tightwad little brother was with us, and he even ponied up to see this. It was gross, but I have to admit few things have made me laugh harder in life.

I'm laughing out loud just reading this!
    Wallyum
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Burger Queen and Queenie Bee! 2005/01/18 01:35:00 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by FoodDude

quote:
    Originally posted by Wallyum

quote:

I'm laughing out loud just reading this!

One of those rare "had to be there" moments that translate well into real time. Unfortunately it happened in the years before video was commonplace and about a month before I got my first camera. I've got a picture of the same guy with his whole fist in his mouth, but never got him to do the Big Mac trick for the camera.
    Kev937
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Burger Queen and Queenie Bee! 2005/01/22 18:18:38 (permalink)
    Hey all I remember Burger Queen. I ate there few times in Louisville Ky. when I was a teenager. I was just at Ebay and there are some Burger Queen stuff there for sale.

Kev
    ladytenor
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 37
    RE: Burger Queen and Queenie Bee! 2005/01/22 18:20:12 (permalink)
    Burger Queen got bought out by Druthers, who in turn was bought out by Dairy Queen. As I mentioned in the Long Gone Regional Chains thread, I had a surreal celebrity encounter at the Burger Queen in Seymour, IN.
    My parents, sister and I were eating lunch at the BQ when a long white limo pulled up outside. The front door opened and in walked...Col. Sanders. He was accompanied by two other men and they went to the counter to order their food. I went up and asked the Colonel for his autograph (which I got), then after they got their food they returned to the limo and left. Never thought I would see "Mr. Chicken" in a burger joint!
    AndreaB
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1303
    RE: Burger Queen and Queenie Bee! 2005/01/26 12:56:08 (permalink)
    quote:

Later "Queenie" became Druther's around 1979. Had a great salad bar!!
    Alas, everything gives way and closes.....Tom B. in Burger Queen-less Eastern Kentucky.

I remember the Druther's salad bar --- they had great deep fried veggies --- unhealthy but we loved it in high school!

Andrea
    Andoo
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 85
    RE: Burger Queen and Queenie Bee! 2005/01/26 13:57:17 (permalink)
    There's a Burger Queen in Ganzales CA. right off Hywy 101 on the Fifth St. exit. I don't think its part of any old chain though. It's run by a Korean couple and it's in the middle of a mainly Latino town. They have the best burgers, really just the best food in general, for miles. They're directly across the street from a McDonalds. I don't know how the McDonalds stays in business! We stop there every time we're headed down to the Lake. My boys sometimes stop on the way down and on the way back home. Great teriaki pork platters too.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1