Burger chains that have gone by the way side

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15321
Re:Burger chains that have gone by the way side 2009/12/08 14:35:59 (permalink)
gregy,

The Barstow McDonalds remains a somewhat unique store in the chain. The eating areas (hard to call them 'Dining Rooms') are fashioned out of several railroad passenger cars...sort of a Poor Man's Victoria Station.  They are formed in a large "H" shape with the service area and cashiers in the cross-bar of the "H".  As a result of their unique "Train Station" motiff, and being at a good food-stop location on the L A to Vegas freeway they really do a huge volume of business.

Next door, and sharing the parking area is a "Tom's Burgers" Stand. We often stop there to enjoy the Tom's Burger menu and sit at one of the many picnic tables outside watching the rail-action on the busy mainline behind both restaurants.

Barstow is/was the big rival back in our Victor Valley CA H S days...and after leaving the high desert in 1960 I used to chuckle when Johnny Carson (and Leno) would make fun of Barstow in their late night Monologes.
jonjax71
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 438
Re:Burger chains that have gone by the way side 2009/12/08 21:54:26 (permalink)
mayor al

gregy,

The Barstow McDonalds remains a somewhat unique store in the chain. The eating areas (hard to call them 'Dining Rooms') are fashioned out of several railroad passenger cars...sort of a Poor Man's Victoria Station.  They are formed in a large "H" shape with the service area and cashiers in the cross-bar of the "H".  As a result of their unique "Train Station" motiff, and being at a good food-stop location on the L A to Vegas freeway they really do a huge volume of business.

Next door, and sharing the parking area is a "Tom's Burgers" Stand. We often stop there to enjoy the Tom's Burger menu and sit at one of the many picnic tables outside watching the rail-action on the busy mainline behind both restaurants.

Barstow is/was the big rival back in our Victor Valley CA H S days...and after leaving the high desert in 1960 I used to chuckle when Johnny Carson (and Leno) would make fun of Barstow in their late night Monologes.

My wife and I like the Barstow Station a lot, we stop there whenever we are anywhere close to it because it's a great people watching place. The shops inside the former train station are interesting, the souvenir shop with tonnage of Elvis and Betty Boop novelties as well as other characters like Popeye, the psuedo-Cuban fast food stand, the Panda Express knock off, that Mickee Dee's mentioned above, the candy and taffy shop, the liquor store we find curious is there since 90% of the folks are either driving through or are getting on a Greyhound bus after their rest stop is over and it's illegal to have liquor on board, there is also a second floor, the rest rooms upstairs are a throwback to the 1940s. The Tom's Burgers next door is the typical So Cal Greek style char broiled, good tasting burgers, fries, taquito etc
mjsneddon
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 230
Re:Burger chains that have gone by the way side 2009/12/09 23:44:27 (permalink)
I grew up in Illinois during the 50s and 60s.  I remember Wimpy's hamburgers in Chicago.  Also Sandy's was a chain that I think was bought out by Hardee's.
6star
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4388
Re:Burger chains that have gone by the way side 2009/12/10 01:21:30 (permalink)
mjsneddon

I grew up in Illinois during the 50s and 60s.  I remember Wimpy's hamburgers in Chicago.  Also Sandy's was a chain that I think was bought out by Hardee's.

The first Sandy's was opened here in Peoria in 1958.  Here is a website with a lot of the history (and pictures) of Sandy's: http://www.captainerniesshowboat.com/sandys
EatingTheRoad
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1205
Re:Burger chains that have gone by the way side 2009/12/10 09:38:25 (permalink)
6star what an awesome website. What about Mr. Quick, 'member him?
http://www.captainerniesshowboat.com/mrquick

jonjax71
Cheeseburger
Re:Burger chains that have gone by the way side 2009/12/10 10:09:37 (permalink)
joclyn
gino's.
good burgers (and i don't even like burgers) and they sold kentucky fried chicken, too  (long before it became 'kfc'). 

Talkin' 'bout Kentucky Fried Chicken, my younger brother worked at Kentucky Fried-I have never called it KFC, while he was working his way through college in the early 70s shortly after the Colonoel sold out the chain to a major corporation that retained him as spoke person, TV ads man and chicken ambassador. When here in Pasadena they opened up their second outlet my brother provided training to the new cooks at the new restaurant and on the day of their Grand Opening and ribbon cutting ceremony, the employess including my brother and our kid sister at her first job were told that the Colonel would be making an appearance and that before he went outside for the press and public  to conduct the ceremonies, he would take a tour of the inside and meet n greet the workers. The District manager then pulled aside my 17 yr old sister and the 2 other female cashiers/order takers and told them that the Colonel is a harmless old man, but he liked to flirt and perhaps "brush up against them" in a benevolent manner.  When the Colonel entered the shop, sure enough he flirted with the 3 young girls and they took a picture of him with them embracing him, afterwards my kid sister ever the prankster hugged him hard while pressing her chest into the elder chicken statesman who lit up like a Christmas tree and smiled, the Colonel then reached into his pocket of his famous white suit and ribbon tie and on the sly gave my sister a crisp brand new $50. bill.  My sister than asked the district manager if she could attend other grand openings where the Colonel would appear, the man just looked at her in bewilderment.

Next time they show Ian Flemings' Goldfinger, look for the great shots of Kentucky Fried Chicken's original chain look with the revolving chicken bucket sign when the CIA agents are tracking 007 James Bond's homing device in Fort Knox-Kentucky just before the legendary car crunching at the junkyard.

post edited by jonjax71 - 2009/12/10 10:13:28
6star
Filet Mignon
Re:Burger chains that have gone by the way side 2009/12/10 10:29:02 (permalink)
EatingTheRoad

6star what an awesome website. What about Mr. Quick, 'member him?
http://www.captainerniesshowboat.com/mrquick

Oh yes, we had a Mr. Quick at the top of Main Street hill.

EatingTheRoad
Re:Burger chains that have gone by the way side 2009/12/10 10:44:01 (permalink)
jonjax71I have never called it KFC

Until now

Great story. I love hearing tales like these. How old was he around that time? Got any others?
collinf
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 165
Re:Burger chains that have gone by the way side 2009/12/10 15:43:52 (permalink)
As a little kid, I remember Sandy's in Bloomington, IL and Mr. Quick along the main street in Normal, IL from the 60's and early 70's.
jonjax71
Cheeseburger
Re:Burger chains that have gone by the way side 2009/12/11 00:22:08 (permalink)
EatingTheRoad

jonjax71I have never called it KFC

Until now

Great story. I love hearing tales like these. How old was he around that time? Got any others?

You got me on the first point, great observation.

I guess the Colonel must have been around 80 because I remember when he died in the early 80s he was in his 90s. I am sure one of our crackpot internet saavy members will locate his complete bio and figure out his exact age in 1971 when my younger sister began working at KFC when she was 17

That is the only anecdote I can share as a few months later both she and my brother left Kentucky Fried and went to work at a local San Gabriel Valley chain with fantastic chicken, Dixie Fried Chicken to become Mgr and Asst Mgr for a few years before both left the food industry, got kush office jobs and eventualy each found their mates they are still married to.

6star
Filet Mignon
Re:Burger chains that have gone by the way side 2009/12/11 00:57:07 (permalink)
"I am sure one of our crackpot internet saavy members will locate his complete bio and figure out his exact age in 1971....."

Thank you for your "compliment"!  If you exert just a tiny bit of effort, it really isn't that hard to have Google just search for "birth date of Colonel Sanders".

Depending on the month in 1971, he would have been 80 or 81, since he was born September 9, 1890.
EatingTheRoad
Re:Burger chains that have gone by the way side 2009/12/11 08:14:44 (permalink)
6starThank you for your "compliment"!  If you exert just a tiny bit of effort, it really isn't that hard to have Google just search for "birth date of Colonel Sanders".

Depending on the month in 1971, he would have been 80 or 81, since he was born September 9, 1890.

Haha...thanks for getting that info. You'd be amazed sometimes.....http://lmgtfy.com/?q=birth+date+of+Colonel+Sanders

On Dixie Fried Chicken:

"A small chain of fried chicken places in the San Gabriel Valley was Dixie Fried Chicken, they were over taken by the KFC expansion of the 70s when they went corporate, yet their excellent breading mix still survives and is sold in markets in So Cal"
http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/fb.ashx?m=496949

"A bit further up on Lake , on the corner of Ladera was Dixie Fried Chicken, they too had a great recipe, I worked there for 3 years after school and weekends making deliveries and frying birds too. Dixie Frid had several locations in the San Gabriel Valley and went out of business by the early 80s, however their breading is so good one can still buy Dixie Fried chicken breading mix in a box at the market. The key to Dicie Fried was their double dipping, after breading the chicken parts, they were dipped again in a milk based liquid and re-breaded before frying."
http://www.flickr.com/gro...uss/72157607552320276/
post edited by EatingTheRoad - 2009/12/11 08:17:01
jonjax71
Cheeseburger
Re:Burger chains that have gone by the way side 2009/12/11 10:29:41 (permalink)
6star

"I am sure one of our crackpot internet saavy members will locate his complete bio and figure out his exact age in 1971....."

Thank you for your "compliment"!  If you exert just a tiny bit of effort, it really isn't that hard to have Google just search for "birth date of Colonel Sanders".

Oh no, I am so embarrased, what a goof I made, I feel terrible. I should've said cracker jack internet saavy members, not crackpot which turns it into an oxymoron. No wonder uou placed compliment in quotes. It was not my intention so pardon my faux pas.

Thanx for getting Harlan Sanders bio, it was the summer of 71, most likely before school started in Sept so the Col was 80
jonjax71
Cheeseburger
Re:Burger chains that have gone by the way side 2009/12/11 10:42:24 (permalink)
EatingTheRoad

6starThank you for your "compliment"!  If you exert just a tiny bit of effort, it really isn't that hard to have Google just search for "birth date of Colonel Sanders".

Haha...thanks for getting that info. You'd be amazed sometimes.....http://lmgtfy.com/?q=birth+date+of+Colonel+Sanders

On Dixie Fried Chicken:

"A small chain of fried chicken places in the San Gabriel Valley was Dixie Fried Chicken, they were over taken by the KFC expansion of the 70s when they went corporate, yet their excellent breading mix still survives and is sold in markets in So Cal"
http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/fb.ashx?m=496949

"A bit further up on Lake , on the corner of Ladera was Dixie Fried Chicken, they too had a great recipe, I worked there for 3 years after school and weekends making deliveries and frying birds too. Dixie Frid had several locations in the San Gabriel Valley and went out of business by the early 80s, however their breading is so good one can still buy Dixie Fried chicken breading mix in a box at the market. The key to Dicie Fried was their double dipping, after breading the chicken parts, they were dipped again in a milk based liquid and re-breaded before frying."
http://www.flickr.com/groups/keepersofpasadena/discuss/72157607552320276/

Wow, you found one of my first posts after joining this fabulous forum, great job-I'm impressed. More kudos for finding my Flicker page where I use Dena Lover to make comments and post photos about my beloved home town.  Fried chicken outlets in Pasadena have been a part of my family's history, my parents were friends with both Mr. Brown of Brown's Fried Chicken and More as well as the local legend Bill of Bill's Fried Chicken. My younger brother, kid sister and myself all worked for Dixie Fried Chicken, after I graduated PCC Jr college and gained other employment I reccomended to the chain Pres he hire my brother and sister who were beginning their work career to get through college like me and both were at Kentucky Fried so they had experience
blue heaven
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 496
Re:Burger chains that have gone by the way side 2009/12/11 14:06:28 (permalink)
Hi gregys hello Finleyville!  I am from Washington Pa.  The Bull Penn sounds familiar can you refresh my memory?  Was it a restaurant on Route 19?
EatingTheRoad
Re:Burger chains that have gone by the way side 2009/12/11 14:47:19 (permalink)
jonjax71, that's too funny...I didn't realize you were Dena Lover too. I was looking for pictures of Dixie Fried Chicken. Do you have any?
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15321
Re:Burger chains that have gone by the way side 2009/12/11 17:15:48 (permalink)
Henryville Indiana is a small town located at the 19 mile marker on I-65 north of Louisville. There is a Historical marker on U S 31 in the town that recognizes the place of Harlan Sanders birth. Take a look next time you pass thru on That highway.
EatingTheRoad
Re:Burger chains that have gone by the way side 2009/12/11 18:16:49 (permalink)
Yeah...Corbin is finally coming to grips with his impact:
http://www.slashfood.com/...s-peace-with-kfc-icon/

Here's the museum:
http://www.chickenfestival.com/sanders.htm
post edited by EatingTheRoad - 2009/12/11 18:18:15
UncleVic
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6025
Re:Burger chains that have gone by the way side 2009/12/11 22:50:43 (permalink)
Nice links and good reading ETR!  Sadly, even while they try to embrace a slice of history, the kids nowadays will never know what KFC really used to taste like..
jonjax71
Cheeseburger
Re:Burger chains that have gone by the way side 2009/12/11 23:29:58 (permalink)
EatingTheRoad

jonjax71, that's too funny...I didn't realize you were Dena Lover too. I was looking for pictures of Dixie Fried Chicken. Do you have any?

I am Jon Jax 71 in the other 2 forums I subscribe to other then this one as it is based on my actual name and the year I graduated from jr college, PCC.

I don't have any photos of any of the 5  or 6 Dixie Frieds they were, I wish I did as I have only have memories.

EatingTheRoad
Re:Burger chains that have gone by the way side 2009/12/12 07:52:47 (permalink)
UncleVic

Nice links and good reading ETR!  Sadly, even while they try to embrace a slice of history, the kids nowadays will never know what KFC really used to taste like..

That leads to an interesting question. Do you think foods will become more generic...as in the case of a KFC on every block or do you think there will be a resurgence in home cooking and getting back to real food?

I was watching something on the Apache tribe and most of their cooking and techniques are lost because the youth have no interest in it...them them it's tasteless and bland. They actually prefer Taco Bell and McDonald's. How do you think out grandkids will have it?

jonjax71
I don't have any photos of any of the 5  or 6 Dixie Frieds they were, I wish I did as I have only have memories.

I couldn't find anything. There is a place in, I think Washington DC, that is The Olde Dixie Fried Chicken but that's different. How long was the one in California around? How many units was it at it's largest. It was bought out by KFC, correct?

NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3151
Re:Burger chains that have gone by the way side 2009/12/12 12:36:13 (permalink)
EatingTheRoad I was watching something on the Apache tribe and most of their cooking and techniques are lost because the youth have no interest in it...them them it's tasteless and bland. They actually prefer Taco Bell and McDonald's. How do you think out grandkids will have it?
A similar fate awaits the best Vietnamese restaurant in Cincinnati.*

The mom and dad came here from Vietnam just as the war ended in April 1975 - he was a colonel in the ARVN, the South Vietnamese Army.  They started a restaurant and it has become a favorite of our family.

They will be retiring in a couple of years and none of their children wish to continue running it (they have  many kids) so it will close forever, and the city will lose one of  its best ethnic restaurants.  This is despite the fact that most of their kids have worked in the restaurant off and on over the years.  I guess they have found better ways to make a living that do not involve the time and hassles it takes to keep a good restaurant going.

* http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/32/363013/restaurant/St-Bernard-Elmwood-Place/Song-Long-Cincinnati

post edited by NYPIzzaNut - 2009/12/12 13:00:16
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1