Burger chains that have gone by the way side

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
blue heaven
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 496
2009/12/05 09:15:21 (permalink)

Burger chains that have gone by the way side

Hi do any of you remember Winky's and Burger Chef??  What ever happened to those?  I know that there are more names that I have forgotten from my childhood" />

51 Replies Related Threads

EatingTheRoad
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1205
    Re:Burger chains that have gone by the way side 2009/12/05 09:57:54 (permalink)
    blue heaven, there's a thread on Burger Chef here with some great photos and such:
    http://www.roadfood.com/F...urger-Chef-m92284.aspx
    and a Facebook Fan page:
    http://vi-vn.facebook.com/burgerchefandjeff

Here's one one Winky's:
    http://www.roadfood.com/F...648&mpage=1#516177

UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    Re:Burger chains that have gone by the way side 2009/12/05 11:31:29 (permalink)
    I believe there's already a similar thread buried in the archives... Tons of flashbacks.

UncleVic
    Sirloin
    Re:Burger chains that have gone by the way side 2009/12/05 11:38:39 (permalink)
    Here's the link: http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/tm.aspx?m=62027
    Also, you can search the individual names, alot of topics covered on places like Red Barn, Burger Chef, etc...

ChrisOC
    • Total Posts : 1050
    Re:Burger chains that have gone by the way side 2009/12/05 17:05:18 (permalink)
    I  remember a chain in and around Philly called the Hot Shoppe,  I recall a car hop bringing me a burger called the Mighty Mo, a side of onion rings and an Orange Freeze.  This would have been in the 50's
    post edited by ChrisOC - 2009/12/05 17:08:03
    ynotryme
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 562
    Re:Burger chains that have gone by the way side 2009/12/05 22:55:04 (permalink)
    I miss Kewpees, I know there are one or two left. When we were kids back in the 50's early 60's , my dad would take us to the one in Utica N..Y. I also wish that Carrol's had not sold out to BK, thought they were much better than  BK or McDonalds.
    blue heaven
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Burger chains that have gone by the way side 2009/12/06 06:56:00 (permalink)
    Thanks for the responses I am strolling down memory lane.  Uncle Vic I'll be darned you were right I started a Winky thread 2 years ago.
    blue heaven
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Burger chains that have gone by the way side 2009/12/06 06:57:58 (permalink)
    Hi Eatingtheroad...love that clip from You Tube!
    EatingTheRoad
    Re:Burger chains that have gone by the way side 2009/12/06 07:39:50 (permalink)
    Isn't that cool. I love looking at those old ads. I wish advertising was still "feel good" like that. Do you think we'll look back on these times later and say the same thing?
    acer2x
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 455
    Re:Burger chains that have gone by the way side 2009/12/06 09:23:01 (permalink)
    Hot Shoppes were owned by Marriott. They were located on North Broad Street at Stenton Avenue and Hunting Park Avenue in Philly, Old York Road in Jenkintown  and Market Street in Upper Darby.  Many more were located in Washington, D.C. area and along the East Coast. I remember the car hop service.

The "Mighty Mo" was the model for the "Big Mac."

Those Orange Freezes were always a treat.
    Beer&Snausages
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 418
    Re:Burger chains that have gone by the way side 2009/12/07 10:40:47 (permalink)
    I thought the model for the Big Mac was the Big Boy sandwich from the Big Boy restaraunts.

(from the land of Hot Shoppes, Roy Rogers and Gino's)
    EatingTheRoad
    Re:Burger chains that have gone by the way side 2009/12/07 11:36:08 (permalink)
    This is just from Wikipedia (and we all know how reliable that is but...):
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Mac
    "The Big Mac was created by Jim Delligatti, one of Ray Kroc's earliest franchisees, who was operating several restaurants in the Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania area. It was designed to compete with the similar Big Boy. Customer response to the Big Mac was so good that it rolled-out nationally in 1967"

http://en.wikipedia.org/w...g_Boy_%28restaurant%29
    "The Big Boy sandwich was clearly the inspiration for McDonald's Big Mac, which was developed much later. A Big Boy sandwich consists of two thin beef patties placed on a three layer sesame seed bun with lettuce, a single slice of cheese, and Thousand-Island salad dressing, or (in some locations) tartar sauce on each slice of bun. The only differences were that onions were not automatically put on the sandwich, like the Big Mac. They had to be ordered as an add-on."

chefaimster
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 11
    Re:Burger chains that have gone by the way side 2009/12/07 11:53:33 (permalink)
    ynotryme

I miss Kewpees, I know there are one or two left. When we were kids back in the 50's early 60's , my dad would take us to the one in Utica N..Y. I also wish that Carrol's had not sold out to BK, thought they were much better than  BK or McDonalds.

I grew up near Utica, too.  We went to Caroll's all the time.  Loved it.
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3151
    Re:Burger chains that have gone by the way side 2009/12/07 12:40:16 (permalink)
    I grew up in Yonkers during the late 50s and early 60s and I seem to recall Carrol's was the first fast food hamburger joint on Central Avenue heading north from the main area of the city  - we loved the food and prices.  I had the hardest time trying to recall the name of the franchise until now.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15335
    Re:Burger chains that have gone by the way side 2009/12/07 15:24:15 (permalink)
    I thought the model for the Big Mac was HoJo's 3-D Burger !
    DoctorDan
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 56
    Re:Burger chains that have gone by the way side 2009/12/07 15:28:39 (permalink)
    It wasn't a burger chain, but this reminded me of a small place in downtown Atlanta
    next to the Loews Grand theater called Orange Tekoe. To the best of my memory, they served a drink called Orange Tekoe that was very much like Orange Julius and frozen custard with only two flavors-vanilla and chocolate. I wondered if there were any other
    locations.
    Doctor Dan
    Applecheeks
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 52
    Re:Burger chains that have gone by the way side 2009/12/07 16:14:34 (permalink)
    We had a Carroll's in Hillside, NJ.  Loved the place.  My kids always wanted to go to McDonalds so we told them that Carroll's was Mc Donalds sister.
    Holly Moore
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 313
    Re:Burger chains that have gone by the way side 2009/12/07 17:08:52 (permalink)
    EatingTheRoad

This is just from Wikipedia (and we all know how reliable that is but...):
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Mac
    "The Big Mac was created by Jim Delligatti, one of Ray Kroc's earliest franchisees, who was operating several restaurants in the Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania area. It was designed to compete with the similar Big Boy. Customer response to the Big Mac was so good that it rolled-out nationally in 1967"

http://en.wikipedia.org/w...g_Boy_%28restaurant%29
    "The Big Boy sandwich was clearly the inspiration for McDonald's Big Mac, which was developed much later. A Big Boy sandwich consists of two thin beef patties placed on a three layer sesame seed bun with lettuce, a single slice of cheese, and Thousand-Island salad dressing, or (in some locations) tartar sauce on each slice of bun. The only differences were that onions were not automatically put on the sandwich, like the Big Mac. They had to be ordered as an add-on."

The Big Mac was not really introduced to compete with the Big Boy.  Rather it was intended to boost sales and raise the average check.  Did both quite well.

A little more Big Mac trivia - Tom Delligatti originally called the Big Mac the Blue Ribbon Burger. A secret ingredient in the original Big Mac Sauce was chutney.   In 1967 McDonald's went from serving no lettuce to becoming the largest lettuce user in the country.  The original Big Mac operations manual was written by (ta daa) Holly Moore.
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5117
    Re:Burger chains that have gone by the way side 2009/12/07 17:13:43 (permalink)
    Holly Moore
    The original Big Mac operations manual was written by (ta daa) Holly Moore. 

Who??

EatingTheRoad
    Re:Burger chains that have gone by the way side 2009/12/07 19:01:30 (permalink)
    The original Big Mac operations manual was written by (ta daa) Holly Moore.

Seriously?!? Thanks awesome. How'd you get that gig. Great info by the way. Any other cool tidbits?
    DawnT
    • Total Posts : 1286
    Re:Burger chains that have gone by the way side 2009/12/07 19:17:51 (permalink)
    Here's a little tidbit. We had a burger chain here in Miami called Burger Giant or Giant Burger that were around during the early to late 60's. They were a spin-off from Mclamore's and Edgerton's pre-Pillsbury  Burger King (maybe as early as pre-BK Instaburger). Early franchisees that decided to pull out and go their own route. Eventually returned to BK with some of the locations reverting back to BK and many of the rest were snapped up by Chicken Unlimited. Wonder if anyone remembers the blue buildings with the huge Giant in front of them?

Lessee we also had a chain called Tropiburger that also didn't make it past the 60's. Nothing special. Their burger was much like the pre-whopper BK burger. Same setup with a walk-up window. Gimmick was the burger included a Jalapeno pepper wrapped in wax paper.

Oh yeah, Golden Point. Another walk-up window chain that served burgers much like MickeyD's small burgers. Most became Maryland Fried Chicken's by '68 or '69.

Wuv's?
    joclyn
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 360
    Re:Burger chains that have gone by the way side 2009/12/07 23:39:58 (permalink)
    gino's.

good burgers (and i don't even like burgers) and they sold kentucky fried chicken, too  (long before it became 'kfc').  started in the late 50's in baltimore and was bought out by marriot corp in early 80's and then they converted them to roy rogers stores (another good ff chain now gone).

supposedly they're coming back - with the original founders as advisory board members. 

gino's burgers & chicken

EatingTheRoad
    Re:Burger chains that have gone by the way side 2009/12/08 09:28:16 (permalink)
    That's cool the Gino's is coming back. I'd never heard of them but they seem to have been fun back in the day:

http://www.ginosgiant.com/Main/ourstory.html
    "In 1965 Gino's entered into a co-branding relationship with Colonel Harland Sanders, founder of Kentucky Fried Chicken. Gino's was a pioneer in co-branding which KFC among others utilize today to market their brand."

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=53852283320

Kites!!!! ...only stipulation "Adults must be accompanied by child to get theirs."
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLZ_xUQ8CM4

Pure sirloin for $.75! "Feelin' good at Gino's"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7jNLga9jDo

No way...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gino%27s_Hamburgers

It was started by Baltimore Colts defensive end Gino Marchetti and running back Alan Ameche....and they're going to be on that advisory board.

UncleVic
    Sirloin
    Re:Burger chains that have gone by the way side 2009/12/08 09:58:22 (permalink)
    Even though Gino's is a chain, it's good to see someone making a comeback, versus going under.

gregys
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 126
    Re:Burger chains that have gone by the way side 2009/12/08 11:19:01 (permalink)
    Winky's in Pittsburgh, yes.
    Remember the Bull Pen ? Tuesdays 10 for $1

I also remembered McDonald's when it was a fast food restaurant. The one in Barstow Ca. in the 70's was the fastest in the world. Typically 5 times faster as today's stores. I used to go there all the time with 5 lines 10 deep and think nothing.

What ever happened to Whataburgher?
    jonjax71
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 438
    Re:Burger chains that have gone by the way side 2009/12/08 11:39:58 (permalink)
    DoctorDan 
    To the best of my memory, they served a drink called Orange Tekoe that was very much like Orange Julius

I recall when Orange Julius stands wouild give you the option of adding a raw egg to the mix, an option I would always choose. Supposedely towards the end of the glory days of Orange Julius, they eliminated the egg option due to salmonella scare. I realize that there are still some Orange Julius stands in malls and elsewhere but they are only using the name, nowehere near what they actually were.

DawnT
    • Total Posts : 1286
    Re:Burger chains that have gone by the way side 2009/12/08 11:49:42 (permalink)
    I looked at the menu on Gino's website. Five to 7 buck burgers. Six dollar milk shakes. Chicken based on chicken cutlets and not a coveted chicken recipe like KFC or RR. With those prices and premium ingredients, one would expect plusher accomodations then the stark restaurant model shown. Time are tough right now, I don't think the nostolgia and luxury burger at a high price is a horse that I'd bet on.
    EatingTheRoad
    Re:Burger chains that have gone by the way side 2009/12/08 11:53:21 (permalink)
    gregys
    What ever happened to Whataburgher?

Are you thinking of What-A-Burger?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/w..._similar_name_.26_Logo

Because Whataburger is still around and abundant in the south:
    http://www.whataburger.com/
    jonjax71
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 438
    Re:Burger chains that have gone by the way side 2009/12/08 11:58:37 (permalink)
    Beer&Snausages

I thought the model for the Big Mac was the Big Boy sandwich from the Big Boy restaraunts.

I thought the same until Holly detailed the reasons for Mac Don & Al's decision to introduce the Big Mac.

I recall as a pre-teen and young teenager of the late 1950s and early 60's eating on ocassion with the family at Bob's Big Boy's. We used to go to what was either the original or maybe second location of the chain, it was on Colorado BL near Eagle Rock Bl in the Los Angeles district known as Eagle Rock, it is between the cities of Pasadena and Glendale. Colorado BL was the thoroughfare one would use to travel between those towns as the Ventura Freeway,  the 134 was not yet constructed in that area  Later on in the mid-60s, Big Boy's opened a restaurant in Pasadena on east Colorado BL which became the family's choice. Back then the restuarants had a life sized statue of the Big Boy at the entrance of each restaurant. Those stautes became the target of thieves who would steal them, not an easy thing to do as they were made of plaster and were bolted to the sidewalk. Then they began making them from a heavy plastic material and they were hollow, that actually made them easier to steal

Our family preferred In n Out Burgers and the original single location of the family run Fat Burger, but they were stands, not restaurants, my parents insisted on taking my 2 siblings and me to a sit-down restaurant every Sunday, occasionaly with our cousins aunts and uncles.  We would dine at many different places that served a variety of cuisine, that instilled the love of variety in food and dining out I still carry with me as I approach my 60th.

gregys
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 126
    Re:Burger chains that have gone by the way side 2009/12/08 12:09:50 (permalink)
    That What- a- burgher I ate at was in El Paso Tex.
    I rather enjoyed it. !970 ?

I used to enjoy going to Roy Rodgers in Pittsburgh. The people that owned it quit.
    I have to go to Somerset Pa. to get Roy's. I like the fix yourself burgher, but
    i really mostly liked the chicken. Roy's also got pepper packs that actually have some taste, and not that
    Sysco crap.

My sis once worker at a Roy's in Pittsburgh
    My brother once worked at Winkey's in Pittsburgh.

My sis went to Roy's ranch once, but he was at his then, new museum in Ca., close to where he lived.
    Did not get to see him however.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1