Burgers, Barbecue and Pie

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 7 of 11
Author
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10400
Re:Burgers, Barbecue and Pie 2012/05/27 23:31:02 (permalink)
mayor al

Love2bake- We were introduced to Carmel Pie at the Catfish Hotel next to the Shiloh Nat'l Military Battlefield. They not only served a wonderful Carmel Pie, but they gave us copies of their recipe!  Even a novice like me...and my 15 yr old grandson, have been able to make this fantasic treat several times since. I have not seen it anywhere outside of the Arkansas/Tennessee region.
Let us know when you make one !!
Al, I think you are right about the geography of Carmel Pie.  I have had it at two other places, one in Tennessee and once in northern Mississippi, which is close enough. 

mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15303
Re:Burgers, Barbecue and Pie 2012/05/28 07:50:06 (permalink)
Yep, the hardest part of making Carmel Pie is finding cans of Sweetened Condensed Milk that are NOT the "easy-open, pull-top" style. Those do not take to being boiled for several hours.  In addition to a great pie, this makes a fine Apple-dip, and topping for ice-cream when thinned a bit.

Here are our efforts awhile back, with my Grandson doing the hard work !!

Ralph Melton
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 902
Re:Burgers, Barbecue and Pie 2012/05/28 08:40:14 (permalink)
I had no idea that cheese dip was an Arkansas thing until we met the winners of the World Cheese Dip Championship at the New Orleans Roadfood Festival.
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3759
Re:Burgers, Barbecue and Pie 2012/05/29 14:23:05 (permalink)
buffetbuster

TTM-
What, making sure Hunka Pie was closed for no apparent reason wasn't enough of an appearance for you!

Admittedly, it was a start.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Burgers, Barbecue and Pie 2012/05/29 16:06:00 (permalink)
Ralph, that is very cool that the cheese dip champion was in NOLA. Any chance that you tried it?
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13522
Re:Burgers, Barbecue and Pie 2012/05/29 16:30:58 (permalink)
Mayor:  O'Charley's in Knoxville serve the caramel pie.  I looked up the recipe and it was easy.  Just take the sweetened condense milk can and put it in slightly boiling water for several hours and use your pie crust and it happens.  I was always afraid that the can would burst and splatter every where but it did not happen.

Thanks for sharing your results.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Ralph Melton
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 902
Re:Burgers, Barbecue and Pie 2012/05/29 18:44:31 (permalink)
buffetbuster

Ralph, that is very cool that the cheese dip champion was in NOLA. Any chance that you tried it?

I did try it. Cheese dip, much like a milk shake, is not a photogenic food:
Championship Cheese Dip by Ralph Melton, on Flickr

It was pretty good, with medium amount of spice and a texture that reminded me of chili. But I didn't notice it being a conspicuously glorious cheese dip.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Burgers, Barbecue and Pie 2012/05/30 13:19:06 (permalink)
Ralph-
Thanks for posting the photo of the cheese dip.  It really doesn't look like what I had at all.  Kudos to you for trying it, when it couldn't have been one of the sexier options available.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Burgers, Barbecue and Pie 2012/05/30 13:58:57 (permalink)
Friday April 27, 2012 (cont.)

Our dinner destination was Catfish N, right across the river from Russellville in Dardenelle.  We pulled up ten minutes before they opened at 4:00PM.  To kill some time, I walked down to the river from the yard next to the restaurant, just to show how close they are to the water. 

Signaling they were open, a young lady unlocked the door, came outside and put an American flag in it's post. 

There is no menu here.  Everything is all-you-can-eat buffet. 

I had to ask what Plantation Punch was, very well knowing it was Kool-Aid, which was my beverage choice.

Despite my screenname, I am not a big fan of buffets.  I typically like to call them "Bad food and plenty of it".  But the food on this buffet looked a notch or two better.  The fact that we were the first ones in the door and had the first chance at it certainly helped.  Some photos of the buffet:

Between the two of us, I think we tried just about everything.  Here is my first plate:

The catfish had a very heavy coating, with good catfish flavor.  We both liked it.  Johnny enjoyed the fried chicken better than I did.  While it was juicy, the skin was hard to pull away.  The green beans looked like they were from a can, but were nicely seasoned.  The corn was fresh and buttery.  The very sweet carrot salad, which had raisins in it, was another item we both enjoyed.  There were two different types of hushpuppies.  The regular had a pleasant oniony taste.  The jalapeno was even better, with big chunks of the pepper inside.  Other than that, it was all a blur and nothing in particular stood out.

There were two different types of cobbler, peach and apple.  I tried the peach. 

Both were very sweet.  Johnny is a big fan of this type of cobbler, with the crunchy top and the soft underneath that absorbs the juice.

The interior is mostly wood and is designed to look like a fishing camp. 

And they do have plenty of colorful, entertaining signs hanging around.  

And the young ladies who work here were very helpful and nice.  When one grabbed my glass to get me a refill and asked if I had the Kool-Aid, I replied, "No, I have the Plantation Punch".

Catfish N has not appeared in a Jane & Michael Stern book in over a decade.  Although the food was hot and fresh, I'm still not a big fan of buffets.  But, if you are in the area, you could do a lot worse than Catfish N.

Catfish N
Dardenelle Dam Road
Dardenelle, AR
479-229-3321

As much as we had already eaten on this day, there was still one more mountain to climb.  Luckily,there was some driving distance between here and there.  Just before we got back on the freeway, I spotted CJ's Butcher Boy Burgers in Russellville.  I quickly tried to think of ways maybe we could just go in and split a burger.  But,we were just too full and tired of burgers from our time in Oklahoma.  CJ's will have to wait for another trip.

Much more to come.....
post edited by buffetbuster - 2012/05/30 14:11:54
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8488
Re:Burgers, Barbecue and Pie 2012/05/30 14:14:31 (permalink)
Looks pretty good, my friends( includes your cousin!) Shrimp looks fresh. My Mom used to make the best carrot salad in the world. Didnt appreciate it until I was older...
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7898
Re:Burgers, Barbecue and Pie 2012/05/30 14:37:10 (permalink)
Buffetbuster

Glad you made it to Catfish N

It was on my list of Catfish places to check out but honestly, the on-line reviews scared me away.

Catfish Hole in Alma won out.

Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10324
Re:Burgers, Barbecue and Pie 2012/05/30 14:54:27 (permalink)
The price of the Buffet looked very reasonable for what was offered.
Maybe you need to change your handle to "No Buffets, Buster"!
pnwchef
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2454
Re:Burgers, Barbecue and Pie 2012/05/30 15:06:45 (permalink)
BB, I agree I don't like a lot of buffets either. The one you when to looked real clean, fresh and well worth the price. Nice pictures and great report.................Thanks for taking the time..............pnwc
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Burgers, Barbecue and Pie 2012/05/30 15:15:39 (permalink)
love2bake

Oh my--that CFS looks awesome!  Was the gravy made from the drippings?  Out here in CA they put sausage gravy on CFS which is just not right, in my opinion. :(  Love your report, btw.
I assume you are talking about the CFS from Classen Grill.  I can't say for sure that the gravy was made from the drippings, but it did taste that way.  It definitely was not sausage gravy.  Thanks so much for the kind words!

Now, can you please tell us more about the National Pie Championships?  Were you a contestant?  Or even better, a judge? 

post edited by buffetbuster - 2012/05/30 15:17:18
love2bake
  • Total Posts : 1422
Re:Burgers, Barbecue and Pie 2012/05/31 01:03:42 (permalink)
buffetbuster

love2bake

Oh my--that CFS looks awesome!  Was the gravy made from the drippings?  Out here in CA they put sausage gravy on CFS which is just not right, in my opinion. :(  Love your report, btw.
I assume you are talking about the CFS from Classen Grill.  I can't say for sure that the gravy was made from the drippings, but it did taste that way.  It definitely was not sausage gravy.  Thanks so much for the kind words!

Now, can you please tell us more about the National Pie Championships?  Were you a contestant?  Or even better, a judge? 

Yes, I was a judge!  Second year doing it, and it's a blast.  This year I judged the citrus and nut pies in the amateur division, raisin pies in the professional division, all of the categories in the junior chef division, and best in show for all of those.  That was over two days.  If you would be interested in judging next year, you should definitely apply.  About half of the judges are food industry professionals, and half are regular people who love pie!  It's so much fun.  There's also a commercial pie category, but I've not wanted to judge those.  However, I do volunteer for other things on the day those are judged, and when the judging is complete, the volunteers can try any of those pies they want to. :)

Yep--I was referring to Classen's CFS.  I love real CFS, and I don't find anything decent out here in the SF Bay Area.  I need a Texas trip.  I recently was at Stockyard Cafe in Amarillo, and their CFS was good, but very different--cooked on a flattop, I think.  However, their gravy was fabulous.  And their green beans with bacon, too.  But I probably need to travel between Dallas/Fort Worth and San Antonio to do a CFS tour right.
carlton pierre
  • Total Posts : 2500
Re:Burgers, Barbecue and Pie 2012/05/31 07:39:14 (permalink)
Awesome pics and I'd love to get to that place
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Burgers, Barbecue and Pie 2012/05/31 09:07:50 (permalink)
Friday April 27, 2012 (cont.)

Our final destination of the day was AQ Chicken House in Springdale.  I have to admit, based on the review, it sounded touristy and I wasn't expecting to love this place.

They have a big parking lot that was mostly empty by this time of night. The outside is busy, with neon signs

and old cars sitting out front.

A giant metal chicken sculpture

greets you as you walk in the door.  The chicken theme runs throughout the interior decoration and for the most part it is tastefully done. 

While Johnny was in the men's room, I killed time looking through an old guest registry they had sitting out.

Whenever we are out eating together, Johnny and I try to avoid ordering the same dishes.  This way, we get to sample a much bigger variety of things.  Here at AQ, we made an exception.  You can order your chicken a lot of different ways, so we both settled on the chicken sampler platter.

The first things to show up were our root beers

in glass bottles and some huge, soft dinner rolls. 

There was already honey on the table, which for me, is always a good sign.  The rolls were the perfect conduit for loading up on honey.

Our entrees arrived and we got different pieces of chicken for the different styles. 

We both thought that the barbecued and pan fried chicken pieces were moist and juicy.  But we agreed that the clear best on plate was what they called "over the coals".  This style, as explained by our waitress, makes you think the chicken just came off the backyard grill.  It had a strong lemon pepper flavor which permeated deep into the meat.  Outstanding!

At least we managed to order four different sides.  The mac and cheese was not good.  Johnny thought the noodles were overcooked and I thought they used low grade cheese.  The sweet potato casserole was whipped and had lots of cinnamon in it.  The green beans were in a mild porky juice. 

Johnny's favorite of the sides was the battered french fries.  These are battered and then deep fried, which gave it a coating more like onion rings.

Because we didn't show up as hungry as we liked, I was shocked that Johnny also ordered a side of the chicken and dumplings. 

But, I wasn't about to complain.  This was loaded with big chunks of tender chicken, plus wide, flat noodles, all covered in a thick gravy.  I ate more of this than he did as he was running on fumes by now.

When I mentioned dessert, Johnny wanted no part of it.  He is clearly the bigger eater of the two of us, but on this day, he had had it.  This is a very rare occurence and I figured if I got something he liked, he would still contribute.  So, I went with the fried peaches,

which came with several scoops of ice cream on top.  Much to my surprise, Johnny took about half of a bite, said it was really good, laid his fork down and said no mas!  After how much we had consumed on this day, it was more than understandable.  But, now it was up to me.  The best way to eat this dish is what I like to call, the Indian Pudding technique.  That is making sure you get a bit of the ice cream and the fried peaches with each spoonful.  Even though it wasn't overly sweet, what really elevated this dish was that they used what sure tasted like fresh peaches and not canned peaches. 

I didn't completely finish it, because it was an imposing portion size, but I did come close.

Our meal here took much longer than we had hoped, considering how tired we were.  Despite that, we really liked our waitress, who was in her 60s and had a twinkle in her eye.  She spent a good portion of the meal at our table chatting with us.

The AQ Chicken House (the AQ stands for Arkansas Quality) turned out be a place we very much enjoyed and we would definitely return.  Johnny said his one regret was he just wished we had shown up hungrier.

AQ Chicken House
1207 N. Thompson Street
Springdale, AR
479-751-4633

On the way to AQ, we passed Neal's Cafe, a restaurant Wanderingjew had recently visited and gave high marks.  We discussed the idea of stopping in afterwards for pie.  But, at this point, all we wanted was to relax.  It was a short distance from here to our hotel in Rogers.

Much more to come.....
post edited by buffetbuster - 2012/05/31 09:11:34
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Burgers, Barbecue and Pie 2012/05/31 09:38:03 (permalink)
love2bake-
Thanks so much for the info on the National Pie Championships.  What a gig!  That must be so much fun, although there certainly has to be some work involved, too.  I could see me possibly wanting to do that someday. 
post edited by buffetbuster - 2012/05/31 10:04:50
Howard Baratz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 450
Re:Burgers, Barbecue and Pie 2012/05/31 10:03:31 (permalink)
Buff,

I couldn't agree more with your review of AQ's Over The Coals chicken. I am not a fan of their barbecue chicken, their pan fried chicken is very good (but, like all other pan fried chicken, loses out in comparison to Stroud's) but the Over The Coals is a fantastically unique taste combo of pan fried and grilled chicken that creates a unique category of chicken all its own.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Burgers, Barbecue and Pie 2012/05/31 14:18:37 (permalink)
Saturday April 28, 2012

The plans for this morning was a breakfast at the Bean Palace restaurant, which is on the third floor of the War Eagle Mill.  When I first visited here in 1999, it was way out into the boonies.  It is still quite a distance from the city of Rogers, but civilization is slowly creeping closer. 

The building

sits next to a 100+ year old bridge

that only one car can cross at a time.  If you walk onto the bridge (there was a grandfather/grandson fishing from the bridge while we were there), you can watch the waterwheel in action. 

Roadfood settings don't get much prettier than this.

The first floor of the mill is where they sell what they make here. 

The shelves are lined with biscuit mix, pancake mix, hushpuppy mix, cornbread mix, fish fry coating mix, etc.  Basmati rice? 

Sure, why not?  They do also sell jams, jellies, salad dressings, pickles, etc.,

although I doubt any of that is made here.  We did enjoy sampling the sweet potato butter,

which was a first for me.  You can watch the inside wheel turning very fast.

They also have a scary photo of a flood from 1985 where everything looks underwater.

The second floor is devoted to selling housewares, such as plates, bowls, cups, pots, etc. 

Some of our breakfast would be served on the same dishes.

The third floor restaurant may look a little cramped

with the slanted ceiling, but is actually homey and comfortable.  There were new menu items,

but we both chose off the regular menu.  After ordering, we sat down and waited for our food to be brought to us.  The tables are wooden benches covered with checkered tablecloths and the salt and pepper shakers are mini versions of the mill.

Johnny got the buckwheat waffle supreme, which means for an extra buck, it gets covered with blueberries and whipped cream. 

The waffle was thin, but dense and Johnny really liked the buckwheat flavor.  You get three strips of bacon with a side order

and it was very crispy, just how Johnny likes it.  And there was no extra charge for the whipped cream on the end of the bacon. 

Having had pancakes on previous visits here, I went in a different direction this time and got the Ozark French Toast. 

It was soft and eggy, but still had a coarse texture, with orange honey butter on top.  Delicious!  The syrup is served warm and better yet, comes in these containers

with the extra long handles.  As much as I love syrup (and honey), I hate how sticky it makes my hands.  I really should buy one of these to take home.  Finally, my favorite food here is the sausage patties. 

They might not look like much and they did burn them a little, but they are incredibly flavorful and they must grind their own sausage on premises.

We did split a dessert of blackberry cobbler. 

It was a small portion size, but there were plenty of sweet blackberries and we both like the breading part of cobblers to be doughy like it is served here.  A fine way to finish our breakfast.

War Eagle Mill
Bean Palace Restaurant
11045 War Eagle Road
Rogers, AR
870-789-5343

We ended up spending a couple of hours here, enjoying the tranquil setting.

Much more to come.....    
post edited by buffetbuster - 2012/05/31 14:25:49
rumaki
  • Total Posts : 1067
Re:Burgers, Barbecue and Pie 2012/05/31 14:37:55 (permalink)
My husband was guest-lecturing at the U of Arkansas law school in Fayetteville, and brought home buckwheat mix from War Eagle Mill.  We made pancakes out of it over Memorial Day weekend and they were excellent!

I'm a huge fan of buckwheat pancakes and waffles. Growing up, we always had buckwheat pancakes and waffles (never buttermilk, plain, blueberry, or anything else) and they were always made from Aunt Jemima Buckwheat Pancake Mix -- which, alas, has been discontinued.  I've never found a mix I liked until we got the War Eagle Mill mix.
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:Burgers, Barbecue and Pie 2012/05/31 15:37:01 (permalink)
Rumaki-Red Mill makes a buck wheat pancake mix-try it!
the grillman
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 632
Re:Burgers, Barbecue and Pie 2012/05/31 15:58:56 (permalink)
I am really enjoying this trip report.  I log in every couple of days to see what's new.  I will hate to see it end.  It's been some time since I was at AQ chicken house, but I will vouch for the great stuff there...my second favorite place for chicken after Strouds.

Barbecue, burgers, and pie....oh my.    Everything a hungry guy needs.  
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10324
Re:Burgers, Barbecue and Pie 2012/05/31 16:07:10 (permalink)
BB,
I see a whole new career in your future-----------
"Professional Pie Contest Judge"
If there's a Supreme Court of Pie Contest Judges, you qualify!
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15303
Re:Burgers, Barbecue and Pie 2012/05/31 18:32:47 (permalink)
Cliff,
CATFISH N',  has been one of our planned meal stops when we use I-40 to head to SoCal or other "Out West" destinations.  It fits just right between Memphis/DuValls Bluff on the East  and Shawnee (Van's BBQ) OK on the West. Glad to see it hasn't changed over the years.  I love the spicy hush puppies too.

buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Burgers, Barbecue and Pie 2012/06/01 08:19:23 (permalink)
Mayor Al-
I think cousin Johnny ate more of those jalapeno hushpuppies than anything else!

rumaki-
Did he buy the buckwheat mix from the War Eagle Mill or was it available in another store?  Glad that you found a new mix that you enjoy.

the grillman-
Thanks again for the kind words.  Since I have been working on this trip report for over a month, I am looking forward to it's end!  AQ has your second favorite chicken after Stroud's?  That really is high praise!  Is the pan fried what you like best or is it one of the other styles? 
post edited by buffetbuster - 2012/06/01 08:20:38
kevincad
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 410
Re:Burgers, Barbecue and Pie 2012/06/01 09:04:11 (permalink)
rumaki

My husband was guest-lecturing at the U of Arkansas law school in Fayetteville, and brought home buckwheat mix from War Eagle Mill.  We made pancakes out of it over Memorial Day weekend and they were excellent!

I'm a huge fan of buckwheat pancakes and waffles. Growing up, we always had buckwheat pancakes and waffles (never buttermilk, plain, blueberry, or anything else) and they were always made from Aunt Jemima Buckwheat Pancake Mix -- which, alas, has been discontinued.  I've never found a mix I liked until we got the War Eagle Mill mix.

It may interest you to know that you can make buckwheat pancakes by using Aunt Jemima Original pancake mix and buckwheat flour. I've listed the recipe below for you:
Ingredients:

3/4 cup (175 ml) Aunt Jemima Original pancake mix
1/3 cup (75 ml) buckwheat flour (purchase dark flour)
1/2 tsp (2 ml) baking powder

Directions:

Stir dry ingredients together and add milk and egg as per package instructions
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Burgers, Barbecue and Pie 2012/06/01 09:25:16 (permalink)
Saturday April 28, 2012 (cont.)

On one of my previous trips to northeast Arkansas, I visited Bubba's BBQ in Eureka Springs, but it was closed over that holiday weekend.  This time, I was very happy to revisit while they were open.  Bubba's has not appeared in a Roadfood book since the 2002 version.  When this happens, it always makes me wonder whether the restaurant is no longer worthy of being included or that it has been too long since they have been here.  In this case, I am fairly certain that it is the latter, because we really enjoyed our meal at Bubba's.

The exterior of the restaurant

is unusual in that you have to walk down stairs to get to it.  And like any good Southern bbq parlor worth it's salt, they have pig images everywhere, inside and out 

including one in a bikini, which they seemed especially proud of.  Our waitress was an older lady, who was also a real rascal.  The t-shirt she was wearing was, uh......  interesting.

One of the things we noticed was the quirkiness of the place.  We appreciate quirky.  Instead of the usual beer posters and autographed photos, some of the stuff hanging on the walls was bizarre and funny.

I can safely say that this is the only bbq parlor I have ever seen with a Father Guido Sarducci poster.

The menu also had it's quirks.  The menu shows the customer the difference between the regular and large sandwiches. 

And they also call the chicken and ribs combo, Nick's Cluck and Squeal.

First thing to our table was some of the best sweet tea of the trip. 

Our waitress was so efficient that after only two or three sips, she was right over to top it off again.  Neither one our our teas ever got to half empty.  To get the meal started, we split the sausage appetizer.

These were two delicious, fatty links that had a serious kick to them.  I added some of that thick, dark and sweet bbq sauce on the table to mine and it was an irresistable combination.  The sausage also came with some garnishes, including raw onions, cheese, olives, pickles and peppers.

For the entrees, I went with the pork shoulder plate. 

The meat was tender, ultra-moist and you could taste the smoke flavor.  As much as I liked the bbq sauce, I ate most of the pork unsauced.  The plate included beans, cole slaw and bread on the side.  The beans

included thin shreds of pork and plenty of that sweet sauce.  Both of us loved the beans.  Not so with the slaw. 

Johnny prefers his slaw to be on the sweet side and here it was more tart, which is right up my alley.  They call the bread French bread, but it sure looked and tasted more like ciabatta to us.  Either way, it was soft and fresh. 

For his entree, Captain Combo did not let us down, ordering the sampler combo,

which comes with ribs, beef and more of that delicious pork shoulder.  The ribs were not very big, but they made up for it by being very meaty.  Johnny thought the beef was slightly dry, but was greatly improved by the sauce.  One of Johnny's favorite things to do in a bbq parlor is to put the bbq beans on bread or a biscuit.

Hanging just over my head in our booth was an old newspaper article from 1995 asking if Bubba's was as good as McClard's

While I would not go that far, we both felt that this was an excellent meal and that Bubba's is still Roadfood worthy!

Bubba's Barbecue
166 W. Van Buren
Eureka Springs, AR
479-253-7706

We got back in the car and headed north into Missouri.

Much more to come.....
post edited by buffetbuster - 2012/06/01 09:33:19
love2bake
  • Total Posts : 1422
Re:Burgers, Barbecue and Pie 2012/06/01 10:09:12 (permalink)
Mmmm...boy.  I sure hope some of these fried peaches are in my future.  I've bookmarked a bunch of the places you visited. 
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:Burgers, Barbecue and Pie 2012/06/01 12:35:59 (permalink)
BB and Johnny-this last place looks , almost, the best!What say you???
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 7 of 11
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1