Burgers, Barbecue and Pie

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 8 of 11
Author
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10475
Re:Burgers, Barbecue and Pie 2012/06/01 13:14:12 (permalink)
Ann-
As good as Bubba's was, it still would place as the third best bbq of the trip, behind McClard's and another place coming up.  Looking back at the trip, I first think of all the great burgers and then pies, but we really did have some excellent bbq, too. 
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15321
Re:Burgers, Barbecue and Pie 2012/06/01 13:30:21 (permalink)
Bubba's served as a multi-meal and rest stop for me a few years back, when Janet and my Mom decided  that instead of "just-passing-thru", we should spend a day in Eureka Springs so they could really search through the antique/consignment stores that are all over the town.  Not being my forte, I settled in at Bubba's with a book and a 7 hour visit that included just about everything they had on (and off) the menu. ! 

Yeah, Annie, I like Bubba's ! I just wish it was closer to "a road we travel" these days. These two places (Catfisn'N and Bubba's)..and many more, are good reasons to save those older editions of the ROADFOOD books !
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Burgers, Barbecue and Pie 2012/06/01 13:41:56 (permalink)
mayor al 
These two places (Catfisn'N and Bubba's)..and many more, are good reasons to save those older editions of the ROADFOOD books !
A double AMEN to that Al!!!

As much as we enjoyed Bubba's Barbecue, I don't know if I would want to spend seven hours there.  But, considering the alternative." />  We had to drive through the touristy part of Eureka Springs to head north and we could not get out of there fast enough.  
post edited by buffetbuster - 2012/06/01 14:07:23
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Burgers, Barbecue and Pie 2012/06/01 14:33:23 (permalink)
Saturday April 28, 2012 (cont.)

This was a day in which we had plenty of options on how to proceed.  My original idea was to drive through Springfield, Missouri on the way back to Kansas City to try their beloved deep fried cashew chicken dish.  Another idea was to possibly drive through the very eastern part of Kansas to hit one of the famous chicken houses in Pittsburg (I hate spelling that word without an H).  But, things changed just a couple weeks before the trip during a conversation with The Travelin Man.  It turns out he was going to be working in St. Louis while we were on this trip and when he heard which Roadfood restaurants we planned on hitting once back in Kansas City, he decided he had to join in.

We made plans to meet at our hotel in Overland Park and we arrived just a few minutes before TTM.  He threw his luggage in his room and we were off.  First stop would be Pryde's of Old Westport,

which is a store that sells gourmet housewares and kitchen accessories.  This may seem like an odd place for us to visit, but on the bottom floor they have The Upper Crust Pie Bakery.  I was here last year and had a wonderful mini lemon chiffon pie.  Just outside the door they have a sign

that had I been driving, would have made me slam on the brakes and most likely cause a seven car pile-up.  Unbelievably, the other side of the sign was even better. 

You probably can't see it because it is invisible, but I wear a watch that always says it is Pie O'Clock!

The inside of Upper Crust is small and cramped, but they still manage to make it attractive.  There is even pie art on the walls for sale.  

They also offer some terrific pie t-shirts,

including one that disparages cake. 

Unfortunately, they don't have any in XXL.  What?  Exactly who do they think is their pie eating audience?

It was getting late and they were nearing closing time, so they had what they called Pie Happy Hour on their cutie pies. 

The small mini pies are called cutie pies here and they were now 50% off.  They did offer several pies by the slice,

but those weren't on sale.  The ladies here were very patient with us as we asked them to go through all the available flavors at least twice.  After all, this was a very big decision.

Finally, I selected banana cream, Johnny chose blackberry cream and TTM went with gooseberry.  They boxed them up for us

and we set them aside for later, since we had some Kansas City bbq to eat first.

The Upper Crust Pie Bakery
115 Westport Road
Kansas City, MO
816-561-4990

Since I have been home, Howard Baratz wrote to say that he recently visited the Overland Park location and had a good experience.  Maybe Howard can chime in here also.  At the time, I was not even aware there was a second location.

More to come.....         
post edited by buffetbuster - 2012/06/01 14:38:04
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4305
Re:Burgers, Barbecue and Pie 2012/06/02 01:58:08 (permalink)
I'm looking forward to the KC portion of this report.  As you know, Mrs. Roadhouse is a Kansas City native, prior to me dragging her up to Chicago.  As such, we spend a fair amount of time there each year and are always looking for new places to eat.

bb, you've never steered me wrong.  I look forward to enlightenment (didn't know there was a pie shop in the basement of Pryde's, so we're off to a good start).  You didn't happen to make it over to Christy's Tasty Queen for one of their killer BPTs, did you?

Buddy

Christy's Tasty Queen
1405 South 55th Street
Kansas City, KS 66106
(913) 287-2800

1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4644
Re:Burgers, Barbecue and Pie 2012/06/02 11:58:15 (permalink)
Buddy, I have not been to the Christy's incarnation, but have 
been going to that Tasty Queen since the 50's as my sister and Brother went to the HS across the street.We lived  in the neighborhood til I was 6 when we moved over roughly between OK Joe's and the Fairway Stroud's.

BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:Burgers, Barbecue and Pie 2012/06/02 14:35:11 (permalink)
So do you still get over there at all?  Where is Rogue Valley?  Oregon?

Buddy
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
Re:Burgers, Barbecue and Pie 2012/06/02 21:20:17 (permalink)
yes,Oregon. No pork tenderloins out here.
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:Burgers, Barbecue and Pie 2012/06/03 01:42:18 (permalink)
Do you still have family in the area?  You should plan a trip back to the old stomping grounds.  More than enough Roadfood in KC to keep you busy for at least a week.  Christy's still got it goin' on!  BPTs worthy of Davydd's attention!

Buddy
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Burgers, Barbecue and Pie 2012/06/03 09:31:19 (permalink)
Sorry Buddy, it seems I will be letting you down.  Since this is cousin Johnny's first trip to Kansas City, we stuck with old favorites.  Christy's Tasty Queen sounds like a winner, but it will have to wait for our next visit.
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:Burgers, Barbecue and Pie 2012/06/03 14:25:59 (permalink)
You never know.  Your old favorites and mine are not necessarily the same.  Except Stroud's, of course.

Buddy
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
Re:Burgers, Barbecue and Pie 2012/06/03 15:06:03 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse

Do you still have family in the area?  You should plan a trip back to the old stomping grounds.  More than enough Roadfood in KC to keep you busy for at least a week.  Christy's still got it goin' on!  BPTs worthy of Davydd's attention!

Buddy

Sounds like a plan. My HS class celebrated it's 40th reunion last year and I didn't attend,but we are supposed to have a 60th birthday party this year for those of us left.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Burgers, Barbecue and Pie 2012/06/04 08:59:40 (permalink)

There was only going to be time to take Johnny to one bbq parlor while in Kansas City.  Knowing that, there was no question that LC's Bar-B-Q

would be the choice.  It doesn't show it in the photo

very well, but smoke was pouring out of the chimney when we pulled up.  There is usually a line to place your order, but we got lucky and caught them at a slow time.

LC's does offer a fairly big menu

of bbq items, but burnt ends is the reason you come here.  On my last visit, I was here with TTM and wanderingjew, where we made a tactical error and we all ordered the burnt ends sandwich.  This time, we at least tried to get a little bit of variety.  We only ordered two burnt ends sandwiches

for the three of us to share.  By the way, this is a sandwich in name only.  Since the meat and the bottom slice of white bread (which has completely disintegrated) are covered in the delicious sauce, you really need to eat this with a fork.  The burnt ends are Kansas City's most famous contribution to the bbq world.  And here at LC's, the burnt ends are spectacular!  Those outside pieces of meat are rugged, crusty, smoky and provide incredible flavor.  They are also fatty, but that is the nature of burnt ends.  And to think, this used to be part of the brisket that would be thrown away!

French fries

come with the sandwich and these are thick cut beauties, that have a wonderful creamy inside.  I prefer to eat these also with a fork, after covering it with sauce.  The other entree we tried was the ribs. 

Presauced, these also had a nice smoky flavor and provided a good chew, but the ribs didn't quite reach the level of the burnt ends.  And you can hardly fault a place for that.

Before we left, I went up to the counter and asked if I could get a photo inside of their smoker. 

That is what bbq is supposed to look like!  While walking the tray of food to our table, Johnny slipped, but managed to hang on.  It would have been a shame to eat burnt ends off the floor, but if that's what we had to do.....

LC's Bar-B-Q
5800 Blue Parkway
Kansas City, MO
816-923-4484

We headed back to the hotel to eat our pies.  They have dining tables in the lobby and the nice women at the Hyatt Place volunteered to get plates and forks for us.  While we were doing the unpacking, you couldn't help but notice that they stamp the same cake insult

on the inside of the box.

All pies were cut up into equal thirds for sharing.  Johnny's blackberry cream,

oddly enough, had very little whipped cream topping.  This was a thick vanilla custard, loaded with blackberries both inside and a big one on top.  This was a clear winner!  The banana cream

was extremely light, with a thin, buttery, flaky crust.  The gooseberry

had a hard crusted top and wasn't overly tart.  This was still a fine pie, but was the one I enjoyed least.

And what's a Roadfood trip report without at least one photo of a Roadfooder taking a picture of his food?

We relaxed around the hotel for several hours, until it was time to head out for a late night dinner.

More to come.....
post edited by buffetbuster - 2012/06/04 09:05:58
Ralph Melton
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 902
Re:Burgers, Barbecue and Pie 2012/06/04 10:48:22 (permalink)
That blackberry cream pie really looks outstanding.
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
Re:Burgers, Barbecue and Pie 2012/06/04 11:57:23 (permalink)
Did Cousin Johnny slip on grease on the floor? :)
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Burgers, Barbecue and Pie 2012/06/04 12:27:38 (permalink)
Ralph Melton
That blackberry cream pie really looks outstanding.

That's the problem with traveling with Cousin Johnny.  His food always looks better.  Luckily, he is willing to share!

1bbqboy-
Yup! 
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:Burgers, Barbecue and Pie 2012/06/04 13:41:47 (permalink)
While I was hoping you'd make some new inroads for me in Kansas City dining, it was still nice to see an old friend.  What I really can't believe is that you ordered two burnt end sandwiches, but no beans!  I know you are hungry boys, but one of those monsters usually feeds me and Mrs. Roadhouse.  I would have tried the sausage or pulled pork as an alternative to that second burnt end sandwich.

Plus, LC's beans are spectacular!  They're loaded with more of that burnt end meat and taste great; as good or better than Gate's.  Oh well, I guess you'll have to go back to try the beans.

Buddy
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Burgers, Barbecue and Pie 2012/06/04 13:56:00 (permalink)

Our dinner destination was Jess & Jim's,

my choice for best steakhouse in Kansas City.  Most likely TTM's, too.  They are open until 10:00PM on Friday and Saturday nights, so we didn't arrive until 9:00.  This may have been a mistake, since they were mostly empty and already in the process of cleaning up for the night.  Jess & Jim's has lots of charms, starting with the fact that they have a huge cow on the roof of the bulding.

As soon as you walk in, they have a display case with the different cuts of steak

to help you with your ordering.

Meals here start with a platter of pickled beets. 

Johnny, the beets fan of the group, was the only one to partake.  Personally, I don't mind beets, but I was saving my appetite for other things.  TTM ordered the steak soup. 

I have nothing in my notes about how it was, but he didn't do any complaining, so it must have been good.  Maybe he will chip in here with his thoughts.  The salads here are simple, but quite good.  TTM got his with the house dressing,

which is a French, while Johnny and I got honey mustard.  You also get a basket of deliciously crusty garlic bread.

They do offer a nice selection of steaks to choose from

and they are reasonably priced.  My entree was the 10oz. Kansas City Strip steak.

Well seasoned, very tender, this was an excellent steak.  If memory serves me right, both Johnny and TTM went with the 12oz. Ribeye. 

They both complimented the perect medium rare and it is obvious they really know how to cook a steak at Jess & Jim's.  You also get a choice of potato and the easy decision is the fully loaded baked potato. 

This is a larger than normal baked potato, weighed down with sour cream, bacon, cheese and butter.  What's not to like about that?

Despite how good the food was, there were a couple of disappointments.  The service was indifferent, which is definitely not the norm.  And, I was also hoping to capture the food rolling up to our table on the service cart, with the sizzling steaks.  Unfortunately, by the time I got up and got the camera ready, the steaks were already off the cart and in front of us.  At least I got the baked potatoes on the cart,

but the photo still ended up blurry.  Boooo!!!

Jess & Jim's
517 E. 135th Street
Kansas City, MO
816-941-9499

It was back to the hotel for the night.

More to come.....  
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Burgers, Barbecue and Pie 2012/06/04 14:04:22 (permalink)
Buddy-
Did not know the beans at LC's were that good.  Which is a shame, because Johnny and I are big fans of beans.  Are they like a bbq or maybe a pinto bean?  At least we now have another exceuse to go back.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18857
Re:Burgers, Barbecue and Pie 2012/06/04 14:46:37 (permalink)
BB, your strip steak looks like my idea of perfect -- just the right size for me.
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:Burgers, Barbecue and Pie 2012/06/04 22:31:34 (permalink)
bb,
LC's beans are what I would call a classic KC BBQ bean; about the same texture as a canned, baked bean, but enhanced with the house sauce and other fixin's.  In LC's case, those fixin's include some prime 'Que meats and onions.

And as I predicted, one of your favorites, Jess & Jim's, believe it or not, is a place I've never been.  Now that I know the prices are so reasonable, I'll need to make it a stop on our next visit.

Thanks,

Buddy
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Burgers, Barbecue and Pie 2012/06/05 08:00:38 (permalink)
Buddy-
Thanks for the tip and description of LC's beans.  Had we known,we would have ordered them for sure.  And when I say that Jess & Jim's is my favorite Kansas City steakhouse, I should say that the only other two I have visited were Hereford House and Golden Ox.  But, Jess & Jim's is my clear #1.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5207
Re:Burgers, Barbecue and Pie 2012/06/05 08:06:07 (permalink)
I like the look of Jess & Jim's steak soup...I'm guessing it contained onions but by chance were there also mushrooms?

Those pickled beets reminded me that I need to dust off my golf clubs.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7956
Re:Burgers, Barbecue and Pie 2012/06/05 08:08:14 (permalink)
Buffetbuster

You've clearly gone to all of my favorite places in KC.

I've never been to Hereford House,  and it's been way too long since I've been to Golden Ox to compare it to Jess and Jims althought I recall really liking the Golden Ox I know you say that Jess and Jim's is your favorite, but how does Hereford House compare with Golden Ox?
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Burgers, Barbecue and Pie 2012/06/05 09:15:11 (permalink)
Sunday April 29, 2012

Last day of the vacation, so we better make this count! 

No doubt there are lots of good breakfast spots in Kansas City, but it is nearly impossible for me to come to town and not visit Niecie's.  They moved a few years ago from a smaller building into what looks like used to be a fast food joint. 

The inside is airy, comfortable and relaxing. 

As soon as we walked in, our favorite waitress, Miss Myra C said to another waitress, "It's the guys from Roadfood."  Now, I never tell people that I am from Roadfood or anything like that, but I once took a photo of her and added it to the official review, so it is easy to see why she thinks that.

The menu here has all the soul food classics.  My typical breakfast is the powerful and salty country ham, but today I went for the fried pork chops. 

On the menu, they are listed as 2 Pork Chops (fried right).  And they are indeed fried right.  Even though the pork chops themselves are not particularly thick, they are juicy and provide maximum piggy flavor.  I took my girlfriend here a few years ago and she still talks about these pork chops. 

TTM ordered the bacon and eggs,

plus a couple of pancakes. 

As soon as they were sat down in front of him, I was immediately jealous.  That is what pancakes should look like.  Not necessarily wide, but thick and fluffy.  And I did manage to get a bite and they were as good as they look.

There must have been some kind of rip in the time/space continuum, because despite the presence of TTM, they did have chicken and waffles

Johnny took advantage of this rare event.  The waffle is a homemade, big, soft Belgian.  You get three delicious, salty, crispy coated wings with the order.  Johnny enjoyed it very much.  They do have fine desserts at Niecie's, but none of us were keen on filling up too early in the day, so we decided to split a piece of the chocolate cake. 

Rich, moist, this is one of the great chocolate cakes anywhere.

As good as the food is, Niecie's is about much more than that.  The clientele is mostly African-American and there is a real sense of community.  The back and worth joking between the regulars and the staff is as entertaining here as anywhere I have seen.  And Miss Myra C is usually in the middle of it.  At one point, she is singing along to the background music.  As she is carrying a coffee pot, she runs over to sing loudly one verse in front of an older man, who just sat there and giggled.  It is obvious that the employees enjoy working here and the customers love being here.  It is a happy place.

I have taken Miss Myra C's photo on numerous occasions.  Halfway through the meal, I hadn't said anything about that yet, when she came over and said something about wanting a picture.  After we were finished eating, she gathered part of the crew together behind the counter to pose. 

That is Miss Myra on the right.

Niecie's 
6441 Troost Avenue
Kansas City, MO
816-444-6006

We had time to do some sightseeing and we chose a museum I had never visited before.

More to come.....   
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Burgers, Barbecue and Pie 2012/06/05 09:19:29 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken
Those pickled beets reminded me that I need to dust off my golf clubs.
Where do you golf, a cranberry bog?

I'm reasonably sure that there was mushrooms in the steak soup.  If there was extra appetite, I would have ordered the steak soup,too, because it looed really good. 

rumaki
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1078
Re:Burgers, Barbecue and Pie 2012/06/05 11:05:42 (permalink)
I missed Niecie's on my trip to Kansas City in May -- I didn't get there in time to eat before I had to be at a "speakers' dinner" the evening before the conference I was attending.  That was a catered meal at a law firm, where they served several varieties of barbecue.  It was OK, but I did miss going to to Niecie's, which I thoroughly enjoyed when I was there a few years ago.

I agree the spirit of the place is wonderful -- they are so friendly and welcoming.  I thought their fried chicken was very good, though not quite as good as Strouds.

If you like Niecie's (and who couldn't?), you MUST go to Mississippi Belle the next time you're in Indianapolis.  Very similar vibe, and the food (especially the hot water cornbread) is all excellent.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Burgers, Barbecue and Pie 2012/06/05 13:25:32 (permalink)
rumaki-
If you have been to Niecie's, liked it and then compare it to Mississippi Belle, then that is all I need to know.  Next time in Indy, it will be at the top of the list.  Is it a breakfast place also or more for lunch and dinner?
rumaki
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1078
Re:Burgers, Barbecue and Pie 2012/06/05 13:45:40 (permalink)
Buffetbuster:

I don't think Mississippi Belle serves breakfast (they open at 11 a.m.), but they do offer an all-you-can-eat (table service, not buffet) Sunday "dinner."  Closed on Mondays.

I went for lunch on a Saturday -- more low key, but still delicious!

http://www.ibj.com/dining-mississippi-belle-offers-food-thats-fried-and-true/PARAMS/article/23416
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Burgers, Barbecue and Pie 2012/06/06 08:14:00 (permalink)
Sunday April 29, 2012 (cont.)

Even though I have made at least a dozen visits to Kansas City in the last decade or so, somehow I failed to visit the National World War I Museum.  Being a big history lover, not sure how that happened.  The main architectural highlight is the tower,

where we are told you get a real nice view of the city.  But, it had been raining on this morning, with threats of lightning, so the tower was temporarily closed.  Also, once you pay at the admissions desk, you have to cross over a see-through bridge,

with flowers underneath, to get to the main part of the museum.  Interesting.

There are lots of informative displays,

including interactive ones

that were popular with the kids.  Here are some of the things that stuck out to me:  There was one gallery where they had quotes from famous people of the time on the senselessness of war.

As you walked around, they even had videos on the floor,

that really made you feellike you were surrounded by the images.  And maybe my favorite part was the striking war posters.

We ended up spending about two hours here and could have easily spent double that.  This is a terrific museum and I will definitely be back.  But, we had one more food stop to make before our afternoon flights.

And how could we possibly end this trip with anything else but a revisit to Stroud's?

Just to make sure, I did check with Johnny to make sure he wouldn't prefer going to someplace he had never been to before, but he was all for more of that great pan fried chicken.

Since it was raining when we arrived and there was already lots of cars in the parking lot, we decided that Johnny would drop me off to go get our name on the waiting list, while he parked the car.  Since I didn't have an umbrella, I took off running for the door up the path,

where a goose was resting.  And when he saw me coming, he took off running.  This must have been some kind of sight, seeing someone my size chasing a goose all the way to the front door.  When he walked inside the restaurant, the first thing TTM asked, "What were you going to do with the goose if you caught him?"

We ended up having to wait for about a half hour for a table.  While waiting, I started chatting with a man who was there by himself.  It turns out he is from central South Dakota and he drives all the way down to Kansas City for medical treatments.  Apparently, he has a problem with plaque buildup in his arteries.  Yet, he still visits Stroud's everytime he is in town.  Wish I had thought about it at the time, but since he was by himself, we should have invited him to join us.

Not sure what I can really say about the food

at Stroud's that hasn't already been said by me and others many times.  The food was just as good as always, only this time, my favorite item was the cinnamon rolls.

Hot out of the oven, these soft rolls covered with just the right amount of cinnamon would be worth coming to Stroud's all by itself.

Stroud's
5410 NE Oak Ridge Drive
Kansas City, MO
816-333-2132

From there, Johnny and I headed straight for the airport, while TTM had a later flight.  Johnny had a straight flight home, while I had to connect through Memphis.  Only having a 45 minute layover, there was no time to grab any bbq in the Memphis airport.  I arrived at home just about 10:00PM. 

Hanks a lot for reading this trip report!
post edited by buffetbuster - 2012/06/08 08:27:34
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 8 of 11
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1