Burgers in Atlanta

Author
Atlanta_Tider
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 28
2004/05/29 23:53:55 (permalink)

Burgers in Atlanta

Whats everyones favorite burger in Atlanta?

Alpha Soda in Alpharetta is the best to me, the king burger with chili on it, has been the same for years.

The Vortex in midtown is damn good as well, haven't had one in awhile.

Careys in Marietta had a huge burger, Careys is now gone, but the owner still serves the burgers at another restaraunt on the square, can't remember the name of it though.

Too bad the Riverhouse in Roswell is now defunct, the bucket burgers there were second to none!

7 Replies Related Threads

SteveB9
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 46
    RE: Burgers in Atlanta 2004/06/03 19:55:00 (permalink)
    I moved up here towards Athens long ago, but grew up in North Fulton, and the lunch counter at the Alpha was good in the '60s. Glad some things haven't changed. The Rexall in downtown Duluth has a pretty good lunch counter. The burgers, while not truly outstanding, are very good.
    Sorry to hear about the Riverhouse closing. Back in the early '70s, their bucket burger was about the best thing around. Rare in the middle, but charred on the outside. I have been trying for years to duplicate that.
    Allens in Athens had a nice burger, but they closed the first of the year. It's getting harder to find a hamburger with character.
    Martha-Girl
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 48
    RE: Burgers in Atlanta 2004/06/03 21:23:48 (permalink)
    SteveB-Alpha Soda isn't the drug store lunch counter any more, they've moved down the street into posh new digs. It's not quite the same somehow.

Overall, we have some great restaurants in Atlanta-Atlanta Tider seems to hang out in the fabulous East Cobb/North Fulton corridor, which means he must get into Portabello's for a great lunch (or amazing brunch)sometime-but I haven't had a burger really make me happy in years other than in my own home (or in the yard, weather permitting).

I miss the Riverhouse, and the Public House, too, and I hate to think it's all the fern bars at North Point that put them under...
    Oneiron339
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: Burgers in Atlanta 2004/06/04 08:27:30 (permalink)
    Stooge's on Howell Mill Rd. still has a good burger and is the best in that area since the Beer Mug closed. Atkins Park in Smyrna has a wonderful burger (if you can get the cook not to make it well-done). Houston's (several locations) is top-notch. Mike and Angelos in Buckhead used to be good, but I don't frequent the area anymore.
    Atlanta_Tider
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 28
    RE: Burgers in Atlanta 2004/06/04 22:52:48 (permalink)
    Martha, you are right about the posh setting Alpha Soda has now.I admit I was STUNNED when they opened the newest location, very upscale feeling, but that good chili burger is still the best and messy as ever!

I work in Marietta, live in Canton, frequent Alpharetta on the weekends for grub.

My great grandparents lived in the Dunwoody/Roswell area as well, so the Riverhouse and AlphaSoda were my parents favorites when we visited them.

Where is Portabellos?

BTW Steve, I loved Allens! Never had much to do with anything in Athens unless Bama played there, but I always hit Allens when my Tide came to town!
    Martha-Girl
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 48
    RE: Burgers in Atlanta 2004/06/05 00:21:18 (permalink)
    Portabello's used to be on Main street ("downtown"), but has moved into a house that is a block west of Highway 9, just south of the intersection with Academy Street (I know-that's not a lot of help).

Current address is 37 Old Roswell Street. I prefer lunch to dinner, but I have had nice pasta & salmon for the latter. Brunch is superb, and one of the few places I's willing to splurge on that particular meal (I just have always had a hard time shelling out more than $10 while it's still daylight...).

Not as upscale as Rainwater (I work next door-we only go there if someone is entertaining us as clients) or as large as Sage, but you will find it is packed for a reason for lunch during the week.

Which brings me back to the original topic: while they are a quasi-chain, the Village Tavern has some pretty good burgers as well.

I've stayed away from the Chili-cheese at Alpha Soda after discovering their napkins don't cover all areas of my clothing that are in danger when I eat one...
    SteveB9
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 46
    RE: Burgers in Atlanta 2004/06/05 23:51:45 (permalink)
    Tider - I only got to Allens a couple of times before it closed, so I didn't get to try everything. I tried to go there once with my wife and daughters. We went in and took a seat,and all three of them immediately starting refusing to eat. It did look pretty rough.
    I was working in the area one day, and stopped for lunch. Had two burgers, fries, and a long-necked Bud. Man, it reminded me of when I was very young. You know, those days when drinking beer was sorta forbidden, and we all know forbidden things are much better.
    ULVER
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 226
    RE: Burgers in Atlanta 2004/06/14 01:01:16 (permalink)
    The Vortex is #1!
    I also love The Highlander off of Monroe Dr. A mother of a burger.
    Another sleeper is at Peachtree-Dekalb airport---The Downwind. The biggest burger you'll ever find. A great date venue at dusk.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1