Burke's Bakery, Danville, KY

Author
rumaki
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1015
2013/03/21 16:52:03 (permalink)

Burke's Bakery, Danville, KY

I just spent a long weekend in Kentucky, based at Beaumont Inn in Harrodsburg.  I've written about most of the places at which we ate in previous trip reports (Beaumont Inn itself; Science Hill in Shelbyville; Trustees' Office at Shakertown-Pleasant Hill; and the Greyhound Tavern in Fort Mitchell on the way back to the Cincinnati airport), so I won't repeat all that, other than to say that our best meals this trip were lunch at Science Hill (superb biscuits, hot water cornbread, and fried chicken) and at the Greyhound Tavern (which I still think has the best Hot Brown I've ever eaten).  Beaumont Inn was fine -- our breakfasts and dinners there were better than brunch on Sunday, which is no longer buffet-style (a plus or minus, depending on your point of view), though the homemade yeast rolls and corn muffins at brunch are outstanding, and it's a shame they don't serve them at dinner.  My roast chicken at the Trustees' Office was just OK, though my husband raved about his beef burgundy and my brother loved his fried catfish. They serve great rolls and miniature corn sticks, as well as a very nice relish bowl, with pickled watermelon and/or beets added on request.

But the big revelation on this trip was Burke's Bakery (no web site!).  It's been a fixture in Danville, KY for many years, but we've never gone to it before.  It is downtown, right across from Constitution Square, and it is open 7 days.  We liked it so much we went twice -- once on Saturday, when they had tons of things decorated for St. Patrick's Day, and again on Monday, as we were heading out, when all the St. Patrick things had been supplanted by Easter/Spring themes.

EVERYTHING we had from there was delicious. They have many varieties of donuts; they have cream horns; they have rolls; they have bread;  they have many kinds of cookies (including Mexican wedding cakes/nut butterballs rolled in powdered sugar, and tiny pecan tea cookies that tasted like they were almost PURE butter, decorated with a dollop of icing in the middle, colored green for St. Patrick's Day on Saturday and pink for Easter/Springtime on Monday); they have what they call petit fours (which I'd estimate are actually about 4" x 3" in size); and many kinds of pie, in your choice of full size or individual size.  I got an individual cherry pie on Monday, and it was fantastic -- slightly tart, nice, clear juice filling without too much thickening, and excellent crust.   They had a variety of cream pies, too, which you could get with or without meringue topping, but I didn't get to try any of them.

And best of all:  in addition to high quality, both in terms of ingredients and execution, the place is a good value -- in fact, I'd call it downright cheap.  We bought a dozen each of the tea cookies and Mexican wedding cakes, a cream horn, two petit fours, and an individual cherry pie on our Monday visit and the bill was (with tax) $10.16. 

I can't say enough positive things about Burke's Bakery.  It's billed as a deli as well as a bakery, so I think they'll make you a sandwich, too.  And while you're in Danville, I recommend a visit to "Not Just Antiques," which is one of the nicest antique "malls" I've visited in the area.

5 Replies Related Threads

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15183
    Re:Burke's Bakery, Danville, KY 2013/03/31 07:58:08 (permalink)
    Nice write-up !! We always enjoy reading about potential day-trip destinations and Burke's Bakery has been added to our list !!
    Davwud
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 513
    Re:Burke's Bakery, Danville, KY 2013/04/01 08:42:03 (permalink)
    mayor al

Nice write-up !! We always enjoy reading about potential day-trip destinations and Burke's Bakery has been added to our list !!

Al

If you're into lunch counters check out Tastebud's in Wilmore, Ky. Not too far from Danville and between there and Lexington. Very nice place, great people and good food.
    http://davwudsfoodcourt.b...2/05/scenic-drive.html

DT
    sudie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 233
    Re:Burke's Bakery, Danville, KY 2013/04/19 04:51:03 (permalink)
    Burke's Bakery is the best! Haven't had any treats from there in ages, but we lived in Danville from 1964-1967 and their pastries and breads were outstanding. Glad to hear it's still top notch. May need to do a road trip soon...
    love2bake
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1350
    Re:Burke's Bakery, Danville, KY 2013/04/19 15:39:37 (permalink)
    Nice blog, Davwud!!

Davwud

mayor al

Al

If you're into lunch counters check out Tastebud's in Wilmore, Ky. Not too far from Danville and between there and Lexington. Very nice place, great people and good food.
    http://davwudsfoodcourt.b...2/05/scenic-drive.html

DT

jorenmathew
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 28
    Re:Burke's Bakery, Danville, KY 2013/05/14 07:40:45 (permalink)
    Great to know about this. I point out this tricks and enjoy the  Burke's Bakery, Danville, KY.
    I try it, as soon as possible.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1