Burmese Food in Chicago? And where else besides NYC and Phillie?

Author
quijote
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 648
2009/08/30 22:20:03 (permalink)

Burmese Food in Chicago? And where else besides NYC and Phillie?

I'm a big fan of what little Burmese food I've sampled, and after reading an old thread about the cuisine (http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/tm.aspx?m=332002&high=burmese) I figured I'd ask you all if you know of a Burmese restaurant in Chicago. I've done a google search with no luck, but that doesn't necessarily end the discussion.

I've been to a couple of Burmese places in NYC as well as the Burmese restaurant in Phillie, so I'd be interested to hear of any others in North America.

Probably not the most popular thread, but I fell in love with the Tea Leaf (Lephet) Salad at first bite, so I'd love to hear about Burmese options....

5 Replies Related Threads

BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4211
    Re:Burmese Food in Chicago? And where else besides NYC and Phillie? 2009/08/31 00:19:59 (permalink)
    This one escapes me.  I gotta believe that a Burmese restaurant exists here in town, but I can't think of one.  I'll put the question out at LTHForum and see what I can find out.

Buddy
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4211
    Re:Burmese Food in Chicago? And where else besides NYC and Phillie? 2009/08/31 01:59:21 (permalink)
    quijote, I think you are out of luck on this one.  I put the call out at LTH and got an almost instance response, unfortunately in the negative.  The responder pointed me to this link, offering lots of Burmese places outside of Chicago and Milwaukee, but sadly confirming that there are none to be found locally.

We can offer Thai, Vietnamese, Laotian, Cambodian, Malaysian, and virtually every other country on the Asian continent.  Apparently the Burmese have not yet found Chicago on a map.

Sorry dude.

Buddy
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3140
    Re:Burmese Food in Chicago? And where else besides NYC and Phillie? 2009/08/31 08:48:46 (permalink)
    quijote

I'm a big fan of what little Burmese food I've sampled, and after reading an old thread about the cuisine (http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/tm.aspx?m=332002&high=burmese) I figured I'd ask you all if you know of a Burmese restaurant in Chicago. I've done a google search with no luck, but that doesn't necessarily end the discussion.

I've been to a couple of Burmese places in NYC as well as the Burmese restaurant in Phillie, so I'd be interested to hear of any others in North America.

Probably not the most popular thread, but I fell in love with the Tea Leaf (Lephet) Salad at first bite, so I'd love to hear about Burmese options....
    Falls Church:
    http://www.chicagoreader.com/TheBlog/archives/2007/04/10/eating-elsewhere-myanmar-falls-church-va/

quijote
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 648
    Re:Burmese Food in Chicago? And where else besides NYC and Phillie? 2009/08/31 20:51:40 (permalink)
    Well, dang it all, looks like I'll have to try making Burmese food at home, then. Problem is, I've looked for pickled/fermented tea leaves in ethnic markets, but to no avail. If that LTH thread is to be trusted, then maybe a stop in Fort Wayne is in order someday. Or maybe a market in NYC/CT this weekend.
    scharles
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:Burmese Food in Chicago? And where else besides NYC and Phillie? 2009/10/04 00:03:56 (permalink)
    There are incredible Burmese restaurants in San Francisco and Oakland, CA. Burmese Superstar and Mandalay. Incredible! And the tea leaf salad is amazing. According to my friends, the restaurants import it directly and as a result this can't be found in asian markets. I just hope that someone opens up a Burmese restaurant in Chicago or in the South Suburbs.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1