Burritos

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
burritosaretight
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
2006/12/23 02:20:32 (permalink)

Burritos

I love burritos. I am always on the search for the best burritos.

I love Azteca in San Francisco.

Where do you all like to go?

31 Replies Related Threads

Cinnabonbon
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 149
    RE: Burritos 2006/12/23 16:12:02 (permalink)
    I don't have a particular place that I always go to.

My all time favorite burrito is a chili relleno burrito. Just the chili relleno & some refried pinto beans with some pico de gallo salsa. My also like either al pastor, carnitas,carne asada,chicken asada,fish or chili verde with beans & salsa. I still don't care for rice in my burritos.

I like to keep them simple...
    Milt
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 354
    RE: Burritos 2006/12/25 14:08:52 (permalink)
    The best I have found locally is the taqueria at Supermercado Jalisco in Smyrna (suburban Atlanta). Other noteworthy sources are El Azteca Groceria, Taco Mas, and Carniceria San Miguel in Roswell.

The best ever were from a housewife in Blanco, New Mexico who sold from the trunk of her car 25 years ago. She would come by where I worked in Farmington around 10am with a choice of hot and mild for $1 each. She put 12 children through the University of New Mexico with her burritos - made totally from scratch, the flour tortillas were homemade, she soaked the beans, etc. They were fantastic!
    tamandmik
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 949
    RE: Burritos 2006/12/26 09:38:57 (permalink)
    Go! Burger, in Las Cruces, NM, has the best I've ever tasted. 3 bucks will get you one hanging off both ends of your plate. You can get red or green chile salsa, or green chile strips. Flavors include chicken, carne, chorizo, pork, etc plus all sorts of breakfast burrito options.
    marzsit
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 369
    RE: Burritos 2006/12/28 19:04:55 (permalink)
    in seattle, taco del mar is probably the best of the fast-food chains when it comes to mexican food. neighborhood taco wagons are a good bet as well, as usually everything is made from scratch.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Burritos 2006/12/29 00:45:45 (permalink)
    Here's a link that may be of intrest to ya: http://www.burritoblog.com/
    burritosaretight
    Junior Burger
    RE: Burritos 2007/01/01 04:51:37 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by marzsit

in seattle, taco del mar is probably the best of the fast-food chains when it comes to mexican food. neighborhood taco wagons are a good bet as well, as usually everything is made from scratch.

I know, the burrito market is a little tight. I have tried most burritos in Seattle and they all fall short. I have conceded to going to Portland every so often and stocking up. They are so much better there.
    heavy liquid
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 27
    RE: Burritos 2007/01/23 10:19:32 (permalink)
    I also love burritos. Luckily, there are a ton of great authentic Mexican restaurants in the Chicago area. There's also some great places in the Detroit area. Lately I've been going to Mi Pueblo a lot, which I love. There's also a couple other places in that area that I still need to check out.

Here's a pic that I took of a burrito from Chicago. I can't remember the name of the place, but it's a 24 hour restaurant that's right next to the Sheridan stop (Red Line). I had to take a picture of it because it was so delicious!

BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4305
    RE: Burritos 2007/01/23 14:13:39 (permalink)
    Welcome heavy liquid! Nice pix both here and in the Pizza forum next door. Check out the Hot Dogs forum for a Vienna Hot Dog Tour up on the North Side early next month. We'd love to have you join in. Wiener and Still Champion, Poochies, fRedhots, Portillo's, Michael's and Stash's in Highland Park are all on the agenda.

As a fellow Chicagoan I've got to ask, are you also an LTHer? If not, you'll want to pay the occasional visit there for similar foodie talk focused on Our Town.

Nice to have you aboard,

Buddy

P.S. Almost forgot to mention; my faves for burritos are any of the Burrito House (not to be confused with Burrito King, IMHO an inferior product despite the regal name) locations scattered around the city and suburbs, or, for a more "formal" sit down experience, try Tecalitlan on Chicago Avenue about four blocks west of Ashland.

B.
    Rusty246
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2414
    RE: Burritos 2007/01/23 14:39:48 (permalink)
    This thread leads me to ask....does anyone here make wet burritios at home? I never have(burritos of course) and have been looking on line and the recipes call for adding all of your lettuce, tomatoes(in other words cold ingredients)BEFORE Baking. I'm just not sure about warm/hot lettuce. Is this really good? When I buy at my favorite Burrito Bros. Taco Company, I get extra red sauce on the side(they already put some inside)and either unfold and add more, or just leave as is on the foil and put the extra over it and eat it with a fork. I want to try the baked wet method but would like to hear the opinion of baking them with the lettuce. One recipe says 350 for 45, one says 350 for 20 and another says just to place under broiler until cheese melts. Opinions? Suggestions?
    heavy liquid
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 27
    RE: Burritos 2007/01/23 14:43:01 (permalink)
    Thanks for the warm welcome, BuddyRoadhouse!

Actually, I've moved to the Detroit area. :( Although I still make the trip back to Chicago every six weeks or so to visit. I've lurked on LTH, but never posted. I'll have to set up an account.

I'll be sure to join in the hot dog talk! Mmmm. Which reminds me, I have some good picks that I took of Byron's that I took late last summer.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4305
    RE: Burritos 2007/01/23 20:24:12 (permalink)
    heavy liquid, sorry we've lost you to the Motor City. On the other hand you've walked into some pretty underrated good eats. You'll find plenty of good info on these boards if you so a search. One good source would be (IMHO) my Roadhouse Bar-B-Que Sauce Summer tour 2005 thread. We visited Detroit Ann Arbor three times last year and visited more than a dozen places. Read through the thread and see if you don't spot something that will whet your appetite.

Buddy
    fdaniels
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 84
    RE: Burritos 2007/01/23 21:53:34 (permalink)
    Well Back in Chicago, the burritos I miss are from El-Farol on Archer ave in Summit. If you like burrito-suisa the the place was El Faro in Bartlett on Lake Street... (please notice the different spelling, these places are not related.

Now I have only been here a few months, and I have to say that all the places down here use too much cilantro. But in the Greensboro area, I would so far have to say Taqueria El Azteca, at Spring Garden and Market Street, or Taco Corner #2 in Thomasville. The closest I have found to a Chicago size and style Burrito is at El Numero Uno on Fayetteville in Asheboro.

But I am still looking so I reserve the right to change these answers.

Frank
    desertdog
    • Total Posts : 1946
    RE: Burritos 2007/01/24 10:59:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Rusty246

This thread leads me to ask....does anyone here make wet burritios at home? I never have(burritos of course) and have been looking on line and the recipes call for adding all of your lettuce, tomatoes(in other words cold ingredients)BEFORE Baking. I'm just not sure about warm/hot lettuce. Is this really good? When I buy at my favorite Burrito Bros. Taco Company, I get extra red sauce on the side(they already put some inside)and either unfold and add more, or just leave as is on the foil and put the extra over it and eat it with a fork. I want to try the baked wet method but would like to hear the opinion of baking them with the lettuce. One recipe says 350 for 45, one says 350 for 20 and another says just to place under broiler until cheese melts. Opinions? Suggestions?

Baking (or frying) a burrito makes it a Chimichanga.

Here's one I did at home:

I wouldn't put the lettuce into your creation before cooking it, simply top the chimi with the various condiments afterwards and eat with a civilized knife and fork.

I put the filling in warm, brushed the tortilla with melted butter and baked at 375-400 till golden brown. Here is the thread if you want to see the entire process:

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17421
    foodroadie
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Burritos 2007/03/27 18:02:04 (permalink)
    New burrito find, at least for me. The Disaster Burrito at Hurricanes Cafe in Albuquerque. It comes in 1/8, 1/4, 1/2 and full. I ordered 1/2 and could not finish. It is a normal burrito, but you can get it with carne adovada. It comes filled with the meat and charro beans and covered with green and red chile sauce, cheese, lettuce, tomato and a full order of curly fries. It is a mess, but really definitive roadfood.
    xannie_01
    • Total Posts : 1481
    RE: Burritos 2007/03/27 18:19:18 (permalink)
    same deal at twisters.
    rjb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 451
    RE: Burritos 2007/03/27 18:34:37 (permalink)
    Alfonso's of La Jolla. They also make the most intriguing salsa I've ever had.
    jimmyd
    Junior Burger
    RE: Burritos 2007/05/03 15:04:00 (permalink)
    I am looking for a Chicago style burrito in Denver...Burritos here are smothered in green chile and loaded with rice...I want one like Burrito House or El Farol, 2 of my favs.
    Any one have any insight on this?
    naxet76
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 351
    RE: Burritos 2007/05/03 16:24:54 (permalink)
    hmmm... the only burritos I've EVER had are the frozen ones that are sold in convenience stores or at the deli at my local supermarket.
    exsquidao
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 409
    RE: Burritos 2007/05/03 16:41:40 (permalink)
    The Carne Asada burrito from Roberto's Taco shop in San Diego.
    Texianjoe
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 639
    RE: Burritos 2007/05/03 17:33:18 (permalink)
    In Houston it's Mission Burritos. Sorry no pics.

http://www.missionburritos.com/

joe
    dickestep
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 533
    RE: Burritos 2007/05/05 03:06:49 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by naxet76

hmmm... the only burritos I've EVER had are the frozen ones that are sold in convenience stores or at the deli at my local supermarket.

Oh my Dog! How have you survived such a deprived life, my Friend? You need to get you a Burrito fix!
    jimmyd
    Junior Burger
    RE: Burritos 2007/05/07 12:47:32 (permalink)
    anyone know where i can buy big ass (18") tortilla shells online...i hate the 10 or 12" mission tortilla shells avalable at the grocer
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4644
    RE: Burritos 2007/05/08 09:17:32 (permalink)
    Jimmy, describe a "Chicago Burrito".
    DD, would you really call a baked burrito a Chimi? I say deep fried or it's just a baked burro.
    jimmyd
    Junior Burger
    RE: Burritos 2007/05/08 09:35:28 (permalink)
    I would describe a chicago burrito as containing the following
    Carne Asada
    Cheese
    Lettuce
    Tomato
    Sour cream
    Wrapped tight and with the option of tit being grilled after wrapped.

Colorado burrito (aside from chipotle or qdoba)
    rarely do i see an option for steak
    loaded with rice
    wrapped with open ends
    drowned in green chile or other sauce
    firecommander3565
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 505
    RE: Burritos 2007/05/08 09:49:12 (permalink)
    Best Burrito in Chicago..... Chava's Taco on Grand Ave. Really the have the best Mexican food in Chicago, but their menu is limited. I am lucky, cause I can just walk over there whenever I get that craving for the best Mexican food in Chicago.
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Burritos 2007/05/08 09:51:48 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jimmyd

I would describe a chicago burrito as containing the following
    Carne Asada
    Cheese
    Lettuce
    Tomato
    Sour cream

Colorado burrito (aside from chipotle or qdoba)
    rarely do i see an option for steak
    loaded with rice
    wrapped with open ends
    drowned in green chile or other sauce

No beans in sight on either. hmmm.
    We can get any meat on our burritos in Oregon, and wet or dry, at least at sit down places. Our Trucks, pretty much Mission style, with Beans and rice included.
    here's my current fave place's burro selection:

BURRITOS

DRY BURRITO
    HAND HELD, FILLED WITH CHOICE OF MEAT, RICE, REFRIED BEANS, ONIONS, CILANTRO & HOT SAUCE

WET BURRITO

FILLED WITH YOUR CHOICE OF MEAT, RICE, REFRIED BEANS,CILANTRO, ONIONS, HOT SAUCE, TOPPED WITH GREEN SAUCE, LETTUCE, TOMATO, MEXICAN CHEESE, SOUR CREAM

FISH BURRITO
    HAND HELD FILLED WITH DEEP FRIED MARINATED AND SLIGHTLY BREADED FISH, RICE,CABBAGE AND OUR OWN DRESSING

AVAILABLE MEATS

CARNE ASADA CHICKEN
    PASTOR (MARINATED PORK)
    BIRRIA CHORIZO
    LENGUA FISH

http://www.tacosburritosandmore.com/menu.html
    desertdog
    • Total Posts : 1946
    RE: Burritos 2007/05/08 10:34:18 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by bill voss

Jimmy, describe a "Chicago Burrito".
    DD, would you really call a baked burrito a Chimi? I say deep fried or it's just a baked burro.

I don't know. Traditional is fried, but it's easier (less mess) to brush it with butter or oil and put in the oven. The end result is the same, a crispy exterior with a moist, tasty interior. If I didn't apply oil to the exterior I guess I would call it a baked burro.

I do have a Tex-Mex cookbook that call for it done this way (brushed with butter, put in oven) and refers to it as a chimichanga....

I got to thinking about this and there are lots of items we eat every day that are traditionally deep fried, but have somehow found themselves put into the oven instead and the name did not change.

Won Tons are a good example. Typically fried, but if I decide to brush them with oil and bake them, does that turn them into something else?

Interesting debate.

1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Burritos 2007/05/08 12:23:16 (permalink)
    Hey DD, the Republic has good archives. This is what I remember reading/absorbing; we still lived in Scottsdale at the time.
    http://www.azcentral.com/home/food/mexico/articles/0427chimichange27-CR.html
    Burro tale origins of the elusive chimichanga still remain buried in local food lore

Jill Jordan
    The Arizona Republic
    Aug. 26, 1987 06:27 PM

As far as Mexican food goes, the chimichanga is about as un-Mexican as it gets.

Granted, all the self-proclaimed inventors of the fried burros are of Mexican descent. And, granted, they all run Mexican restaurants.

With only one exception, the tales of the chimichanga's invention stem from north of the border. The exception traces the chimichanga to a bar in Nogales, Sonora, called the Chimi Chango. However, many people say it doesn't count because it involves baked, rather than fried, burros.

Tucson restaurateur Carlotta Flores says she once heard that in the 1940s the bar featured a baked ''chimi chango,'' which was said to mean ''toasted monkey.''

The dish supposedly found its way into Arizona when a marriage joined the family that owned the bar with a family that ran a Mexican restaurant in Tucson, Flores said.

The story makes a good rumor, but a search for someone to testify to its truth proved fruitless.

Several longtime Nogales, Ariz., residents, including retired grocer Edmundo Puchi, who has lived in the town since 1922, said they have never heard of the bar.

''The Chimi Chango? No, not on either side of the border,'' Puchi said.

Even Flores doubts the story. She said chimichangas were invented by her great aunt, Monica Flin.

Flores' version begins in the late 1950s, with Flin in the kitchen of El Charro Mexican Restaurant in Tucson, which Flin opened in 1922.

A leftover burro was sitting on a counter, and Flin accidentally dropped it into the deep fryer and said a ''terrible cuss word,'' Flores said.

When she sampled her new concoction, she liked it so much she decided to give it a name and put it on the menu.

''She couldn't call it what she originally called it, so she gave it the name 'chimichanga,' which doesn't really mean anything,'' Flores said.

Another account of the chimichanga's birth has it in 1945 in Phoenix.

Alex Moreno, then owner of Mi Ranchito Restaurant in Maryvale, was visiting his mother in Tucson.
    cont.....
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Burritos 2007/05/08 12:29:39 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jimmyd

Well, after reading this a bit more closely, i now surmise why you crave a "Chicago Burrito".
    Yum!
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1