Bushie Trip - July 2003

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Bushie
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: Bushie Trip - July 2003 2003/08/05 11:13:52 (permalink)
Nashville

On the way from Owensboro to Knoxville, we drove through Nashville and met fellow Roadfooder and award-winning eGullet contributor, Pogophiles, for lunch.

He took us to Murfreesboro to eat at the Kleer-Vu Lunchroom. This is a "meat 'n three" place with a bend toward "soul". Pogo is very intelligent, articulate, and a connoisseur of many things, so we not only had some fantastic food, we had some great conversation.

It was a hard decision between the meatloaf or the smothered pork steak, but I went with the meatloaf. Pogo got the smothered pork steak and let me have a bite. I won't say I made the wrong choice, but if you go there, get the pork steak.

Here's my lunch. In addition to the meatloaf, that's spinach, lima beans, and cabbage in the bowl. I assure you when I was finished, there was NOTHING left on that plate:

You'll also notice the cornbread. Pogo explained that it was "hot-water" cornbread, made the way it would have been made in the "old days". Just water, cornmeal, probably some salt, rolled into the "pones" and deep-fried. Sounds simple, but it was delicious. The inner consistency reminded me of mush, and Pogo said that's basically what it was.

When we left the Kleer-Vu, he took us to a former small grocery market turned BBQ joint named Slick Pig Bar-B-Q (also in Murphreesboro). We got fried pies for dessert, but the main reason was to get some smoked chicken wings to take on the road. These things were very meaty, and cooked so that the skin almost literally became part of the meat. The smoke flavor infiltrated every molecule of the meat on that wing, so biting into one was sheer heaven.

I tried one right out of the box, then took the rest to Knoxville, where my sister-in-law and I polished off the rest for breakfast the next morning. (Yes, they were still great cold.)

Here's Pogophiles and me in front of the Kleer-Vu.

He's already promised to show me another place next time I'm through there, and I most definitely trust his judgement!!

Stay tuned for the next installment (probably tonight), where you'll get to meet The Sundancer.
Art Deco
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 890
RE: Bushie Trip - July 2003 2003/08/05 13:30:12 (permalink)
Thanks for the kind words Bushie. I greatly enjoyed the lunch and conversation and could easily have whiled away the remainder of the afternoon so engaged. There are still many good meat & three's in the Nashville area to visit, so let me know when you're coming through again and we'll knock a few more off the list!
Wiseguy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 42
RE: Bushie Trip - July 2003 2003/08/05 14:34:45 (permalink)
It looks like you guys all had a fantastic time,that's GREAT!
Liketoeat
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 552
RE: Bushie Trip - July 2003 2003/08/05 16:23:23 (permalink)
Thanks so much for you so kind offer of more Springfield restaurant info, Bushie, and I'll email you for such in a few days. If you are like me, you are now all involved with "catch-up" work after having been gone for a spell (and with me the catch up gets more difficult the older I get). In the meanwhile, just keep up your great posts for all of us. Enjoyed all the further posts, especially the photos of you three (don't mean to be sacrilegious by saying "you three wise men" ) in front of the Moonlighter and of the Moonlighter mutton. Love it, and its been too long since I've had any; maybe chance for some this fall. And the Kleer-Vu lunchroom looked and sounded wonderful. Can't wait for the next installment. Liketoeat
CheeseWit
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1393
RE: Bushie Trip - July 2003 2003/08/05 16:28:23 (permalink)
Bushie: It just gets better! Your descriptions and great photos have me very interested and I feel like I was right there alongside all of you. Great job!
Bushie
Filet Mignon
RE: Bushie Trip - July 2003 2003/08/05 18:48:45 (permalink)
Hangin' with Sundancer

My brother-in-law, Tony, and I showed up at Paul's house at about 9:30 Saturday morning. His son-in-law, Mark (who was our designated non-drinking pilot that day), was already getting the boat ready down on the dock. We met Paul's mother and grandson, also. As I stated in another thread, Paul's mother is a true sweetheart. Paul himself is dynamic; a natural-born motivator and salesman.

We hung around the dock talking for a little while, then piled in the boat. What boat, you ask? Sundancer's namesake, of course! Looking back, I should have got a better shot of the boat itself, but here's a group of derelicts standing at the rear of Paul's SeaRay 270 Sundancer:

(You probably recognize the fat guy bending over; that's Paul kneeling, and Tony standing.) This shot was actually taken at the restaurant where we docked.

We took a leisurely cruise up the Tennessee River toward Knoxville, with son-in-law Mark at the helm. For health reasons, the rest of us kept ourselves well-hydrated; Paul had brought along a cooler filled with cans of a water-based solution manufactured by the Anheuser-Busch corporation. Sundance pointed out many of the local landmarks and told stories of the area. It turned out that Tony and Paul knew many of the same people from their high-school days in the area, so they did a little reminiscing.

We docked at Calhoun's, on the Tennessee River near the UT campus. This is a local BBQ place with a few locations around Knoxville. Here's a shot of the restaurant as we were pulling away after eating:

We started off with fried green tomatoes and what they called BBQ Spring Rolls. The spring rolls were different and quite good. Sundance had the pulled pork plate (if I remember right), and I went for the pork ribs. I thought the ribs were fantastic, and the slaw was really some of the best I've ever had. Loved their sauce, too; I bought some to take back to Texas. They also have their own brews, so we had to sample some of those. (Plus, our waitress had the cutest freckles you ever did see.)

After eating, we proceeded up the river to see where the Holston and the French Broad rivers converge to form the Tennessee, and we also took a spin around the island where SeaRay boats are manufactured. Paul said his 270 Sundancer had never been trailered; he had picked it up at the plant and drove it home on the river.

Mark revved up the engine, and we scooted back home, since he had to attend a wedding. Tony and I were extremely grateful for the hospitality shown by Sundancer and his family. Thanks again, Paul, for a wonderful day.

Bushie and Sundance:

Bushie
Filet Mignon
RE: Bushie Trip - July 2003 2003/08/05 19:37:18 (permalink)
Knoxville - my wife's family

Other restaurants where we ate:

Litton's: Highly recommended by Pogophiles and seconded by Sundancer. We had wonderful cheeseburgers on homemade buns, and I had a piece of some of the best key lime pie I've ever eaten.

The Alley: Ate here a couple of times. Varied menu, and everything was good. I had the grilled salmon the first time, and a cheeseburger the second. They grind their own chuck for the burgers, and that's what I recommend here. They also make their own salad dressings; I tried the Cajun Thousand Island and the Avocado Ranch. Yum.

Northern Exposure: The story is that a guy moved to Knoxville from "up nawth" and was dismayed because he couldn't find many of the foods he liked. So, he opened his own restaurant. Had a lot of different items on the menu, including, pierogies, northern pike (don't remember seeing walleye on there but might have been; I'd rather have walleye, myself), Cincinnati chili 5-ways, wurst & kraut, etc. Good service and good food.

Catinella's Bistro: Various items, many Italian dishes. I had the eggplant parmesan. Nine of us went there and sat around a big table, and you bring your own wine. Very nice food and a great time overall.
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3945
RE: Bushie Trip - July 2003 2003/08/05 20:02:12 (permalink)
Bushie,
Having never made it to the center of the country-----I've been mainly a coastal/desert boy-----your description of the trip was so interesting and enlightening that I've sworn now I've got to travel there too. Thanks for the inspiration!
Bushie
Filet Mignon
RE: Bushie Trip - July 2003 2003/08/05 22:25:13 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by EdSails

Bushie,
Having never made it to the center of the country-----I've been mainly a coastal/desert boy-----your description of the trip was so interesting and enlightening that I've sworn now I've got to travel there too. Thanks for the inspiration!

Ed, you honor me with your credit. Come on down to flyover country, and there's a whole passle of people that can show you a good time!
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15210
RE: Bushie Trip - July 2003 2003/08/05 22:34:22 (permalink)
Ed
My wife had never been out of SoCal ('cept to Vegas) until our first roadtrip back here in 1994. Now she is a confirmed "Mrs Bubba". She went out to Ontario to see her Mom a few weeks back, and returned saying it was great to be 'home'. That's a major conversion for her!
I agree with Bushie, come on back and we'll do a few hundred miles of BBQ and other great food and meet a bunch of nice people too!
Bushie
Filet Mignon
RE: Bushie Trip - July 2003 2003/08/05 22:48:00 (permalink)
Nashville revisted

We changed our plans and left Knoxville a day early. My wife's parents had once lived in Hillsboro, and my wife and daughter had never stayed at the Opryland hotel, so we decided to spend a day and night there.

For lunch, I finally ate at the Belle Meade Cafeteria. I had heard of this place for years, but had driven by a number of times opting for the Loveless.

Against my better judgement, I ordered turkey and dressing, since it was calling my name. The turkey, unfortunately, was the usual formed and sliced mystery meat. However, the dressing was very good. I also got some giardiniera, creamed corn, fried okra, and green beans, all very good.

Since I was down there, I drove to Loveless to buy some preserves. They were out of BOTH Peach and Blackberry (the nice lady told me they were cooking some, and it would be ready by that night). Since all they had on the shelves was STRAWBERRY preserves, I bought a jar.

They hadn't offered Strawberry Preserves the last time I was there. It's OK, but not up to par with the others.

For dinner, I acquiesced to my daughter's wishes to eat at the Rainforest Cafe, but it turned out to be fun and the food was surprisingly good.
Bushie
Filet Mignon
RE: Bushie Trip - July 2003 2003/08/05 23:04:06 (permalink)
Little Rock

On the way to Little Rock, we ate lunch at Corky's in Jackson, TN. I still like their dry ribs, and their fries are very good dipped in their BBQ sauce.

First place we ate in Little Rock was Anderson's Cajun's Wharf. (This is NOT part of the Mike Anderson's chain, although I have no problem with his places.) I hadn't been there since college, so we went more out of nostalgia, but it was really good. This place was opened by a Little Rock guy back in the 70's (the same guy who opened Shorty Small's); it had changed hands a few times and is now owned again by a Little Rock native.

We all made dinner out of appetizers; numerous orders of Oysters Bienville, crabmeat au gratin, frog legs in a Cajun cream sauce, and red beans and rice. They have a specialty drink called Pla-De-Do (sp? - pronounced play-dee-doh), that is made with numerous liquors, tastes like punch, and is served in a very large mason jar. This is what made me the "life of the restaurant" back at my last visit in college.

I drank about a third of it, gave the rest to my uncle, then switched back to Dewar's to be safe.

Doe's Eat Place: Not the original, of course, but they've kept it cool. Known for their steaks, but we ate the cheeseburgers for lunch. I REALLY WISH I had taken a picture of this plate. The CB and fries were an absolute dream. Cleaned my plate once again, like a good "Do Be".

One meal I must share is the breakfast that my aunt cooks one morning every time I visit:

She makes french toast dipped in a batter made with orange juice and eggs. She makes a big fresh fruit salad. She mixes strawberry yogurt with some cream to make a dressing for the fruit. She fries Owens sausage patties.

Then, she makes the syrup for the french toast:

ORANGE SYRUP
½ UP SUGAR
½ STICK BUTTER – NOT MARGARINE
½ CAN FROZEN ORANGE JUICE - Small can
Heat until dissolved, stirring, bring to boil and remove from heat, let cool 10 minutes and then beat with electric mixer until thick.

It all REALLY works!
Stephen Rushmore Jr.
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 2125
RE: Bushie Trip - July 2003 2003/08/05 23:20:58 (permalink)
Hey, do we have any reviews coming from these places on the site? This would be a great addition to our database.
Bushie
Filet Mignon
RE: Bushie Trip - July 2003 2003/08/05 23:30:38 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Rushmore Jr.

Hey, do we have any reviews coming from these places on the site? This would be a great addition to our database.

Stephen, if you're directing that question to me, I guess the answer is NO. If I had thought the Roadfooders would be that interested, I would have taken more pictures.

I'm sure, however, that the people I met on the way can contribute, since they are the ones who know the areas.
Bushie
Filet Mignon
RE: Bushie Trip - July 2003 2003/08/05 23:35:07 (permalink)
Back to Texas

Leaving Little Rock , we ate breakfast at Ed and Kay's. Wonderful country breakfast. Liketoeat has previously given an insightful review of this place. I first stumbled in there so many years ago that I don't remember, and it was many times my "oasis" on a trip.

We detoured down to Pittsburg, TX for lunch, stopping at Pittsburg Hot Links. I've eaten the links a few times on passes through there, but this is the first time I've ordered a cheeseburger. EXCELLENT! Don't bother with the fries, but the vinegar-based hot sauce there mixes perfect with the links.

(Caution: these links aren't pretty. My daughter said they looked like dog poop, and I couldn't disagree. They're pretty tasty, though.) Sorry to be so graphic, but I don't like to mislead.
Bushie
Filet Mignon
RE: Bushie Trip - July 2003 2003/08/05 23:50:36 (permalink)
Cleanup notes:

One MAJOR place I forgot to mention was in Springfield, MO. Andy's Frozen Custard is a locally-owned business that has 4 or 5 places around town. There is always a wait in the drive-thru at all locations.

I'm mentioning this because they started their business in the tradition of Ted Drewe's, and they made me a Root Beer Malt without question. "That's what I like about the South..."
Liketoeat
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Bushie Trip - July 2003 2003/08/07 13:01:17 (permalink)
Bushie, enjoyed so reading of the remainder of your trip and particularly of your LIttle Rock adventures. I will have to try Cajun Wharf sometime. Was living in Ala. during its original heyday but heard it so raved about during that period when visiting back home. Then since my return to Ark. its been closed a while, chain owned a while, owned by someone else a while, during which periods it received less than stellar reviews by critics and the public. Now, though, it seems to be back on track, and all I've heard are good reports on it. Just haven't gotten it tried but will have to do so. I can second your recommendation of Doe's in Little Rock. Though I've never had their steak (usually there alone or with only 1 person, and I'm not man enough to do what I saw one guy do there one day at noon; sit down at counter by himself and eat a dozen tamales and one of their steaks (which is normally served to feed, what, 3 or 4 people), but I can vouch for their cheeseburgers, fries, sandwiches, chicken spaghetti, and tamales as lunch choices. Then glad you got to do Ed & Kay's for breakfast. I've still not gotten to try a breakfast there (which want to do even tho I'm not a breakfast person), but did not too long ago get there a second time, for lunch, and like at my first dinner visit there, this time of year with all their fresh vegetables, I just had to go again for their veggie plate (forget the meat for now) which I put at the top of my list of great restaurant home cooked vegetables. As good as all these restaurants are, it sounds to me that the best of all places to be recently in Little Rock was around your aunt's breakfast table. Like said, I'm not a breakfast person, but do believe that her breakfast spread could have readily converted even me. It all, particularly the french toast and orange syrup, sounded wonderful.
Know you all so enjoyed and hope you've gotten recovered from the entire trip. Your comments on and photos of so many great places and plates along the way inspired me yesterday to stop for late lunch at Roy Fisher's on Broadway in North Little Rock. Been there in same building since I was a kid. One of the prize photos they have displayed is of Mr. Fisher and Elvis, when he stopped by there on way from Fort Chaffee to Memphis, back in his Army days. Anyway, I love their plate lunches (and should have mentioned their pies in earlier post), but yesterday I skipped pie and chose roast pork with gravy and (cornbread) dressing, purple hull peas, boiled cabbage, and potato salad. Plate reminded me of some of those you'd photographed. Did learn they open early for breakfast and stay open thru lunch and till 4 PM. I was mistaken in thinking they closed at 2 PM and reopened at 5 PM or so. Recommend Roy Fisher's for a "meat and three" if in that part of town. Again, Bushie, so enjoyed story of your trip and all your photos.
CheeseWit
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1393
RE: Bushie Trip - July 2003 2003/08/07 13:08:56 (permalink)
Bushie: GREAT pics, great descriptions, GREAT TRIP!!!!! Thanks it was a treat to get a peek at your trip.
Bushie
Filet Mignon
RE: Bushie Trip - July 2003 2003/08/07 13:10:26 (permalink)
Liketoeat, thanks. Now I've added Roy Fisher's and Whole Hog that you mentioned on another thread. Looks like my next stay in LR will have to be an extended one!

My main question is, "Why the h-ll hasn't my aunt and uncle taken me to those places before!!??" I'm going to have to have a word with them...

Whoops, CheeseWit snuck one in there while I was typing. Thanks, CW!
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Bushie Trip - July 2003 2003/08/07 13:41:49 (permalink)
7 more to the big 500, buddy, Keep Going....
Liketoeat
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Bushie Trip - July 2003 2003/08/07 14:33:19 (permalink)
Bushie, another place in Little Rock similar to Ed & Kay's and Roy Fisher's is Homer's at 2001 E. Roosevelt Rd., in industrial district out toward airport. Think they are open for breakfast, another place which is super busy and big on plate lunches at noon, and which know closes at 2 PM because I've just sneaked in there several times as they were closing (as at most places best to get there earlier if you can). I've not yet tried any meats at Ed & Kay's, but would put it a little above Roy Fisher's and Homer's when it comes to the vegetables, but really like all three as "meat and three" places. Also if you ever get down Pine Bluff way, definitely do Ma Jones (Jones Cafe) for plate lunches. Whole Hog is my favorite barbecue place in the state now, but do try Craig's out at DeVall's Bluff if you are headed on to Memphis.
Bushie
Filet Mignon
RE: Bushie Trip - July 2003 2003/08/07 14:55:36 (permalink)
Once again, thanks Liketoeat. Looks like instead of planning another visit, I'll have to just move there! I'm looking forward to trying all your recommendations.

That's 6 now, Mr. Mayor.
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3945
RE: Bushie Trip - July 2003 2003/08/07 15:56:37 (permalink)
Bushie and Al..........thank you.....I will take you up on the invite!
Lovie
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 31
RE: Bushie Trip - July 2003 2003/08/17 17:04:47 (permalink)
Bushie I liked you before I'm in love with you now!!! Thank you so much for taking the time to document your trip for us all to enjoy. And enjoying it I am. I was excited to even learn there was such of a thing as pulled mutton, but now you have shown actual proof. And it looks good!! The neon sign, the food pictures, the family meals, all overwelmingly great. Bravo!

If truth betold, take off the facial hair and ad a little hair to the top and if I were in the photo of Bushie the chef and the Mayor you might think I was their cousin.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Bushie Trip - July 2003 2003/08/17 17:10:50 (permalink)
Lovie,

Take a trip up the Ohio River to meet us in Owensboro and we will be happy to "Share Sheep" with you anytime.!
Bushie
Filet Mignon
RE: Bushie Trip - July 2003 2003/08/17 21:13:32 (permalink)
Thank you Lovie.
Liketoeat
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Bushie Trip - July 2003 2003/10/30 07:53:02 (permalink)
Thought of earlier posts (see above) to Bushie re great "meat & 3", home cooking, roadfood type restaurants in the Little Rock, AR, area - this when saw this morn on one of the Little Rock TV station's early morn news/features program the first of ten weekly visits it's making to with broadcasts from such restaurants in central Ark. The first visit this morn is to Homer's in Little Rock. Quite interesting; a good job of getting over the message of the work that goes on at and what a meal at Homer's is like. Am certain other restaurants featured in this series will be Roy Fisher's in North Little Rock, Ed & Kay's in Benton, and Ma Jones in Pine Bluff, but will be interesting to see what the other featured restaurants will be. Hopefully will learn of some good such spots to try of which am now unaware.
Liketoeat
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Bushie Trip - July 2003 2003/11/13 08:38:18 (permalink)
Bushie, thinking of you a bit earlier this morn when watching Little Rock's Channel 7 current early morn news feature of Thursday visits to/telecasts from local roadfood restaurants.This morn they were at Ed & Kay's in Benton, talking with the staff and some early morn breakfast eaters. Despite my not being a breakfast person, those breakfasts surely looked good, and really got turned on when watching the pie maker topping coconut pie with that mile high meringue and putting same in oven (and a bit later removing it all browned and beautiful). Not a good program for starting off the day, for now I'll be hungry and eating all day long.
Bushie
Filet Mignon
RE: Bushie Trip - July 2003 2003/11/13 08:44:21 (permalink)
Thanks, Liketoeat! I appreciate the thought! And, I can attest that those breakfasts ARE good!
Liketoeat
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Bushie Trip - July 2003 2003/11/13 09:32:35 (permalink)
Those Ed & Kay breakfasts surely looked good this morn, Bushie, even to me with breakfast being my least favorite meal, and everyone interviewed had high praise for them. I've just got to try breakfast there sometime. From experience I can surely recommend it for lunch or dinner anytime, and especially so during seasons when fresh vegetables are available, for those are what they serve when possible.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1