Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Bush's Chili?

Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 77
emsmom

• Total Posts: 955
Bush's Chili? Fri, 09/24/04 11:20 AM (permalink)
Has anyone tried the new little jars of Bush's "Homemade Chili" that have shown up in the grocery stores the last few weeks. It looks like a jar less than a pint size for 2.69. I am sorry, but I'll make my own before I pay that much for that little bit of chili.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17837
    RE: Bush's Chili? Fri, 09/24/04 11:36 AM (permalink)
    It would never occur to me to eat something called chili that comes from a bean company.

Goose

• Total Posts: 81
      RE: Bush's Chili? Fri, 09/24/04 11:53 AM (permalink)
      but what if it's really good? And you are missing it?

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17837
        RE: Bush's Chili? Fri, 09/24/04 12:35 PM (permalink)
        It can't be good chili. It could only be good beans and stuff.

Goose

• Total Posts: 81
          RE: Bush's Chili? Fri, 09/24/04 12:40 PM (permalink)
          i guess you'll never know

michaelgemmell

• Total Posts: 673
            RE: Bush's Chili? Fri, 09/24/04 6:04 PM (permalink)
            I'm one of many people who prefer beans in chili, so let me suggest to those who prefer theirs without beans to be tolerant of others and their preferences.

That said, now, let's hear from the Latin experts amongst us. There's a phrase, "De gustabis non disputatum," which I also see written as "De gustabis non disputatum EST." Which is correct as meaning "there's no disputing a matter of taste"? Thanks!

Sundancer7

RE: Bush's Chili? Fri, 09/24/04 6:13 PM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by Goose

but what if it's really good? And you are missing it?

Goose, I do not know beans about chili but I agree with you. If you do not try it, how can you form an opinion? If you do not go, you do not get. Quite frankly I doubt that Bush can do great Chili but I know that they are a great family and they have contributed a lot to East Tennessee. That has nothing to do with the quality of what they sell.

Before I would berate any product on this site, I believe I would try it before I commented and then I would offer my own opinion and nothing more.

Paul E. Smith
              Knoxville, TN

Bushie

• Total Posts: 2902
                RE: Bush's Chili? Fri, 09/24/04 6:58 PM (permalink)
                I figure anything associated with the name Bush has to be good.

hermitt4d

• Total Posts: 367
                  RE: Bush's Chili? Fri, 09/24/04 9:06 PM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by emsmom

Has anyone tried the new little jars of Bush's "Homemade Chili" that have shown up in the grocery stores the last few weeks. It looks like a jar less than a pint size for 2.69. I am sorry, but I'll make my own before I pay that much for that little bit of chili.

I saw it in one of the stores I shopped in last week but didn't notice a price. It looked more the color of tomato sauce or pasta sauce than chili . The Bush web site says it's available w/ or w/o beans and also in a chunky and a spicy variety. I'd be inclined to try the chunky before the others, I think, but I'd take a good look at it first to see how chunky it was.

I pay $3.89 for a 1 lb brick of frozen chili from Guy's Meat Market here and it's worth it -- better than I can make at home. By contrast, this week with your Kroger Plus card, ten 15 oz. cans of Wolf Brand chili, no beans, $10. I'll be stocking up .

rmcielwain

• Total Posts: 607
                    RE: Bush's Chili? Sun, 09/26/04 4:37 PM (permalink)

Rats! The only Wolf chili we have right now is for the
                    microwave, and that 8-oz. tub costs $1.32

Rick F.

• Total Posts: 1736
                      RE: Bush's Chili? Sun, 09/26/04 5:14 PM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by michaelgemmell

That said, now, let's hear from the Latin experts amongst us. There's a phrase, "De gustabis non disputatum," which I also see written as "De gustabis non disputatum EST." Which is correct as meaning "there's no disputing a matter of taste"? Thanks!
                      It's "De gustibus non disputandum est," and a more formal translation would be something like, "It is impossible to dispute the tastes of another." It's attributed to Cicero, and I saw in in a research piece on placentophagia.

Now there's a taste I will dispute!

hermitt4d

• Total Posts: 367
                        RE: Bush's Chili? Mon, 09/27/04 3:53 AM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by rmcielwain

I keep a couple of those in my locker at work for those nights when I'm running real late coming in and just can't face a fast food burger or what not. Zap it in the microwave, get a bag of Fritos out of the vending machine and it's a Frito pie . Now if I can only figure out how to always have some cheese and chopped onions in my locker too .

michaelgemmell

• Total Posts: 673
                          RE: Bush's Chili? Mon, 09/27/04 4:02 PM (permalink)
                          Thanks for your correction, Rick F. Since I sing in Latin regularly, at least I know how to pronounce it by choral rules.

A dear departed friend was quite the wag and translated it as "Some people will eat ANYTHING!"

berndog

• Total Posts: 674
                            RE: Bush's Chili? Mon, 09/27/04 4:35 PM (permalink)
                            When I first saw the post title, Bush's Chili, I though this was going to be a funny political comment. Like a recipe for W's chili starts with well roasted butt of Kerry, or something to that effect.

But I have to agree with the Sundancer, you need to try it before dissing it. Bush's makes such great baked beans, why shouldn't they be able to do good chili? Just because some like their chili without beans doesn't mean a bean company can't find a good recipe and make a good commercial chili. They have the know how to cook in large quanitiy, can or bottle, and ditribute their product. I'll have to look for this and give it a try.

On a similar note, I did try a can of Campbells new chili, the one with the chunks of steak in it. Not bad compared to some canned chili I've had in the past, but not even close to the worst homemade chili I have tasted. I'll stick with my own batches of chili when I want something good.

Lone Star

• Total Posts: 1730
                              RE: Bush's Chili? Mon, 09/27/04 5:11 PM (permalink)
                              quote:
                              Originally posted by hermitt4d

quote:
                              Originally posted by rmcielwain

I keep a couple of those in my locker at work for those nights when I'm running real late coming in and just can't face a fast food burger or what not. Zap it in the microwave, get a bag of Fritos out of the vending machine and it's a Frito pie . Now if I can only figure out how to always have some cheese and chopped onions in my locker too .

That is a meal of last resort at my house too. It is a strangely satisfying if salt and fat loaded meal.

Can't you keep some Cheez whiz or Velveeta in your locker to complete the dish?

signman

• Total Posts: 1743
                                RE: Bush's Chili? Tue, 09/28/04 1:48 AM (permalink)
                                Will someone take one for the team, and give this stuff a try already. There was a 50 cents off coupon in my Sunday paper. (I'd do it but I'm like the kids in the Life cereal commercial} Who will be "Mikey"?

BT

• Total Posts: 3589
                                  RE: Bush's Chili? Tue, 09/28/04 5:49 PM (permalink)
                                  Long a user of Bush's baked beans, I have tried their refried beans and now prefer them to other brands (of course, I "doctor" them up a bit with a little bacon fat and cheese). My guess is their chili would be pretty good, but at the moment I'm loyal to Stagg's.

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
                                    • Roadfood Insider
                                    RE: Bush's Chili? Tue, 09/28/04 7:49 PM (permalink)
                                    OK, has anyone broken down and tried Bush's Chili Yet???? Reviews on this board normally help make up my decisions, as Sundancer said, a taste review type deal... I have a pot of chili in the slow cooker for breakfast as I type (suppose to be 38 degrees at the time I get up, and I work outdoors thru Oct. 31)... Seems like a good way to get the day going! Hate to make a crock full and have to go buy a jar just to review the product now! Anyone??

Rick F.

• Total Posts: 1736
                                      RE: Bush's Chili? Tue, 09/28/04 9:17 PM (permalink)
                                      quote:
                                      Originally posted by michaelgemmell

Thanks for your correction, Rick F. Since I sing in Latin regularly, at least I know how to pronounce it by choral rules.

A dear departed friend was quite the wag and translated it as "Some people will eat ANYTHING!"
                                      My transoation was formal--ytours was better! And I really agree with your departed friend. I didn't correct--I elaborated and obfuscated!

foodlover73

• Total Posts: 2
                                        RE: Bush's Chili? Thu, 09/30/04 8:51 AM (permalink)
                                        I love Bush's Baked beans so couldn't resist picking up all four flavors this weekend. My favorites are Hot and No Bean. But they all have a delicious taste. My biggest worry was the quality of meat in a shelf/non-refrig product, but it was surprisingly fresh and tasty. Interested to know what others think...

mek

• Total Posts: 123
                                          RE: Bush's Chili? Thu, 09/30/04 9:20 AM (permalink)
                                          OK-
                                          I tried a jar of the Bush's chili. It was the "chunky with beans".
                                          Overall, I would give it a "not bad". It could have been thicker and had more beef in it. It was not as hot (spicy) as I normally like chili. I think it is overpriced. I had a coupon for 50 cents off-that's why I bought it.

emsmom

RE: Bush's Chili? Thu, 09/30/04 10:24 AM (permalink)
                                            I have a 50 cent coupon plus my grocery store doubles all coupons up to 99, so I am going to buy a jar tonight and will try it and let you know my opinion.

halfday

• Total Posts: 51
                                              RE: Bush's Chili? Thu, 09/30/04 12:26 PM (permalink)
                                              I have tried their chili but I only use it for chili dogs. I get the no beans for this purpose and add chopped onions and cheze wiz. Good stuff!

Their chili is good for chili dogs but I wouldn't sit down and eat a bowl of it. Although their baked beans are out of this world their chili is ok. Of course nothing is better than home made chili and to this I do add beans and eat it by the bowl full.

bubbaboy

RE: Bush's Chili? Fri, 10/8/04 1:20 PM (permalink)
                                                Too many beans!

b-dog

• Total Posts: 1
                                                  RE: Bush's Chili? Mon, 10/11/04 11:58 AM (permalink)
                                                  I think Bush's chili is great because it is better than anything I could make for myself or my family. Well worth the price! The best part about it is the convenience and homestyle taste. Whether you are heating up it up for dinner or for your friends while you watch your favorite football team play, it's so easy! The ingredients are fresh and taste great. I have always loved Bush's beans, but now I am hooked on their chili too!

emsmom

RE: Bush's Chili? Mon, 10/11/04 1:37 PM (permalink)
                                                    I did buy a jar of the chili without beans with my double coupons .
                                                    I plan to use mine for chili dogs. Speaking of their beans, I think the original brown sugar baked beans are great. I even mix a can of these into my chili when I make it ( yes I like beans in my chili). The vegetarian beans are good too.

e-webs

• Total Posts: 2
                                                      RE: Bush's Chili? Mon, 10/11/04 3:20 PM (permalink)
                                                      I gave my family a sampling of bush's chili this weekend, it was gr8! we tried the chunky with beans and the hot kind and my kids and husband loved them both. a little bit expensive, but worth the price. if you've got picky kids like mine, you've GOT to get this stuff, I guarantee they'll love it!

garykg6

• Total Posts: 358
                                                        RE: Bush's Chili? Mon, 10/11/04 5:13 PM (permalink)
                                                        actually,it's not bad. It is somewhat pricey and certainly not over-spiced but the taste is pleasant,I threw in some chopped,raw onions and a few splashes of Crystal hot sauce and threw it on a couple of Boars Head franks......not bad at all

dkp

• Total Posts: 57
                                                          RE: Bush's Chili? Mon, 10/11/04 5:41 PM (permalink)
                                                          Well, I'm going to have to get counted in on this. Staggs Chile? Served it when I was a demonstrator for Costco in California; can't stand the stuff. Just not crazy about anyones canned or jarred stuff. The very best I have run across are two mixes; Johnny's Lazy Day Chili Mix, and Chugwater Chili. Johnny's can be found in Costco, at least in California. Chugwater used to be in Wild Oats, but don't think they handle it anymore. They do have a web site where you can order it, I think it's ChugwaterChili.com. We use it sometimes for seasoning our New Mexican tacos and enchiladas. Just mix it with the meat. Really!!!

emsmom

• Location: Gastonia, NC
                                                            RE: Bush's Chili? Tue, 10/19/04 3:30 PM (permalink)
                                                            I tried my jar of Bush's chili with no beans for chili dogs this weekend and I did not like it at all. It had too much green pepper in it which overpowered the taste. I'd rather eat Castleberrys than this. I am not much on any kind of bought chili anyway. I like to make my own chili for hog dogs and hamburgers without beans and then
                                                            chili with beans to eat alone with crusty bread
                                                            quote:
                                                            Originally posted by emsmom

I did buy a jar of the chili without beans with my double coupons .
                                                            I plan to use mine for chili dogs. Speaking of their beans, I think the original brown sugar baked beans are great. I even mix a can of these into my chili when I make it ( yes I like beans in my chili). The vegetarian beans are good too.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 77

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com