But this wasn't supposed to be MY trip report...... Really it wasn't !!!

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7738
2010/07/28 19:45:20 (permalink)

But this wasn't supposed to be MY trip report...... Really it wasn't !!!

Really, I was just supposed to be along for the ride (and the company of course) with Buffetbuster and a break from my summer long diet which I'm still on. This was supposed to be his trip. Initially I didn't know where we were going to go, I told him to surprise me. I knew we were supposed to go to the State Capitol in Augusta, other than that I was open to anything.

Imagine my dismay when Buffetbuster called me and told me he couldn't make it due to some issues at work I was disappointed but understood that life happens. Either way, I already had two hotel nights pre-paid on priceline since even the cheapest of the cheapest motel rooms in the Portland Maine area go for a buck fifty a night on the weekends all summer long.

I was a trooper, I decided I was going to take this trip myself and make the best of things. Although my trip probably turned out a little differently than what would have been had Buffetbuster been with me, in a way, I felt that he was there with me in spirit.

Last Thursday evening after dinner and my 3 mile power walk, I headed up to Portland. Still in diet mode (but just for the evening) I checked into my motel and called it a night as the two hour and 45 minute drive completely tired me out.

Friday I woke up and had no game plan, I had no idea where I was going and what I was going to do since I initially had no reason to plan anything, the day was basically a clean slate.

I thought "what would Buffetbuster do?" or where would he go?

Well, after a 12 year absence, I decided to give this place another shot.

The last time I visited Becky's Diner in 1998, for breakfast,  I wasn't overly impressed and never went back. It wasn't a memorable meal and there are other places I prefer for breakfast in the Portland area.  Well, I thought I would give the place another chance.  After ordering a cup of hot water...

(yes...it was really coffee , but like any coffee I've had outside of a coffee house, it  tasted just like hot water to me) I asked the waitress if the corned beef hash was homemade, she replied it wasn't. Ok that's the first big strike. I wonder why any greasy spoon or diner in corned beef hash country (northern New England) would even think of opening up a can of the stuff. Well, I knew what I wasn't getting. Then I asked if their blueberry muffins are homemade (I felt the need to ask just in case) they are...Ok that (toasted)  and a side of bacon..

Although the photo depicts the muffin pre buttered, these were moist and chock full of blueberry. The bacon (no photos) was....well....bacon...

After breakfast I had to stop at my favorite coffee house in Northern New England, Udder Place Coffee Company  for the real stuff..
I love the sign outside the building so I'll include a photo

After loading up on coffee, I was up and ready to go.

It's been a good decade since I've been to some of the local beaches in the Portland area. It was a beautiful day so a nice long walk was in order  (sorry Buffetbuster- no naps for me!)

I headed out to

Scarborough Beach State Park. The entrance is towards the middle of the beach. And the beach extends probably close to a mile to the left and then close to another mile to the right.

I took advantage of the nice scenery and walked both directions round trip.

After my walk and sending taunting photos of the scenery to Buffetbuster which I also took on my cellphone, it was time for lunch....

Over the last few years I have been severely ridiculed by some of my Bostonian coworkers. To this day they can't believe I went to Boston "just for a Roast Beef Sandwich" but I would ask "what about those "North Shore Roast Beef Sandwiches?" and they would respond "what??? a North Shore Roast Beef Sandwich??? !!! never heard of that- Roast Beef Sandwiches are everywhere" and I conceeded and agreed that they are but "Bruce and Stepen say...and at that point I cut myself off and say."oh forget it ,it's too complicated to get into"
Several years back, former poster Dave M mentioned a roast beef joint in downtown Portland. Since then they have expanded and now have an outlet in a strip mall in suburban Scarborough.  I've never been there and after seeing an advertisement in my hotel guide I decided to finally check it out.

Henry VIII Carvery

They have a huge selection of not only roast beef sandwiches but roast pork, ham and turkey as well.

I decided to go with their namesake sandwich "the Henry VIII"

Tender pink roast beef served on a bulkie roll....slathered in their zesty horseradish sauce (which they could have used a little less of). The roast beef was just as good as the roast beef served during my first visit to Kelly's and fortunately much better than my last visit. It was also better than the extremely well done (after asking for it medium rare) roast beef that was served to me at Nick's. I ordered a side of coleslaw. It doesn't deserve a photo-  It tasted just like dirty socks, I can't think of any other way to describe it...

Much more to come.....
post edited by wanderingjew - 2010/07/28 19:50:51

30 Replies Related Threads

ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2914
    Re:But this wasn't supposed to be MY trip report...... Really it wasn't !!! 2010/07/28 20:04:17 (permalink)
    You're off to a flying start...nice photos and write-up!
    Big Ugly Mich
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1302
    Re:But this wasn't supposed to be MY trip report...... Really it wasn't !!! 2010/07/28 20:19:23 (permalink)
    So much for the "rockbound coasts" of Maine. Those pictures could be of any lakeshore or ocean front anywhere. Not that that's a bad thing. Walking on the beach is always a recipe for good scenery.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18346
    Re:But this wasn't supposed to be MY trip report...... Really it wasn't !!! 2010/07/28 20:47:54 (permalink)
    "I thought 'what would Buffetbuster do?' "

You're not allowed to ask such a question unless you have a WWBD wrist-band on.
    quijote
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 648
    Re:But this wasn't supposed to be MY trip report...... Really it wasn't !!! 2010/07/28 21:12:52 (permalink)
    Beautiful, beautiful beaches!

Is there really a roast beef tradition in that area? I guess I'll have to do some investigatin'.  Those sandwiches look incredibly good.
    agnesrob
    • Total Posts : 1790
    Re:But this wasn't supposed to be MY trip report...... Really it wasn't !!! 2010/07/29 07:40:57 (permalink)
    Really nice report, can't wait for the rest.
    jaylhorner
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 431
    Re:But this wasn't supposed to be MY trip report...... Really it wasn't !!! 2010/07/29 07:54:46 (permalink)
    Nice report.....what do dirty socks taste like?
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:But this wasn't supposed to be MY trip report...... Really it wasn't !!! 2010/07/29 09:39:19 (permalink)
    Big Ugly Mich

You'll have to wait until later on in the trip report see if the rocky coast exists.

Quijote

Considering that I live in what is now considered the Boston Metro area, I don't see it- There's a few Roast Beef shops- apparently the ones talked about the most are Kelly's (a local chain) and Nick's- however I don't think there are any more or less  on Boston's North Shore than in other parts of the country. We have several local roast beef shops here in Rhode Island and there was even one in my hometown of Merrick NY called "Roasty's". I still think the local traditional cuisine in the Boston area, especially the North Shore is still Cod Cakes and Baked Beans. I even asked my managing house counsel about this since some allege "they no longer exist"  he says they're "everywhere" I asked where-he says just walk into any diner or tavern in "Southie" (South Boston) or any tavern/diner or family restaurant on the North or South Shore and they're sure to be on the menu - he's a Boston native through and through - still has the Boston accent,  (unlike many locals who now have accents more in line with San Francisco than New England) loves Durgin Park and can name all the Red Sox Players past and present instead of saying "I like all of them".

jaylhorner

Like the Coleslaw at Henry VIII Carvery
    post edited by wanderingjew - 2010/07/29 09:41:33
    Mrs.Crunch
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 199
    Re:But this wasn't supposed to be MY trip report...... Really it wasn't !!! 2010/07/29 10:09:05 (permalink)
    Way to hang in there, Man!!!
    Major Kudos!!
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:But this wasn't supposed to be MY trip report...... Really it wasn't !!! 2010/07/29 19:15:08 (permalink)
     After lunch I decided to take a drive into the country. You don't have to travel very far outside of the big city (Portland) to get to the country.
    About 10 miles north of Portland, I was welcomed by this sign...

Now why would I want to go to Thornhurst Farms?

Because its the home of

Toots' Ice Cream
    of Course

And of course the  sign of a good ice cream stand...

is having the manufacturer right on the premises!

I ordered a double scoop of the chocolate peanut butter ice cream

in a waffle cone of course

full of dense rich n' creamy chocolate and chunks of peanut butter- amazing I can eat all of this and still lose weight!

After my mid afternoon break in the country, I returned to the City-

for another favorite mid afternoon snack

Allagash White- a light-refreshing Belgian Style Ale brewed by Maine's own Allagash Brewing Company enjoyed at Three Dollar Dewey's, a British style pub right in the old port.

After my one beer, I decided to take another walk around the old port and was getting thirsty again. I stopped at Port Bean apparently new ownership has taken over the old and not so good Portland Coffee  Roasting Company . By the looks of what they had on display in their glass case, I was hoping their iced coffee would be good- and it was!

In the meantime I sent more taunting photos to Buffetbuster

(taken with my cell phone)

Unfortunately after my ice cream I was too full to have any...

After strolling around the old port. I returned to my motel, to check the weather forecast as the last time I checked the weather for the
    evening was rather iffy- calling for thunderstorms and I was concerned it may curtail my plans for the evening. After checking the weather it seemed that they were not calling for thunderstorms till much later - so I decided to continue my plans as scheduled.

It was now time for dinner. There's a place I've been wanting to check out for a while. And of course Buffetbuster wanted to know if I've had any pie yet...Well now was the perfect opportunity.

Uncle Don's Spurwink Country Kitchen
    in Scarbourough- serving up good hearty Yankee fare since 1955
    Yes there really is an "Uncle Don" and he greeted me as soon as I walked into the restaurant.

The meal started out with some good warm homemade bread

Unfortunately I missed the New England Boiled Dinner by one day!   If I knew I would have suspended the diet another day and left earlier on Thursday!

Instead I went with the hearty stick to your ribs shepherds pie..

The meal came with a choice of  two sides

I chose 4 bean salad in a sweet vinegary dressing

and a surprisingly delicious squash in a buttery citrus sauce..

and of course I couldn't leave Buffetbuster disappointed, so the meal concluded with an amazing albeit expensive at $5.95 a slice, homemade
    blueberry pie!

Although the slice of pie was more expensive than I would have expected, the meal at Uncle Don's Spurwink Country Kitchen was truly a highlight of the trip.

After dinner I drove directly to...

Hadlock Field, home of the double A Portland Seadogs....
    I was able to get a ticket, considering they're the double A farm team for the Red Sox, I was surprised the game wasn't sold out. Perhaps
    the earlier weather forecast kept some of the people away.

The ballpark holds approximately 7500 fans and I believe there were about 6500 that evening if I recall..

The seadogs hosted the Harrisburg Senators that evening..

and like their major league counterpart has been doing lately- they lost 5-7

Here is their mascot

After the game, I was tired and went back to my hotel- I had a busy day...

more to come.....

post edited by wanderingjew - 2010/07/29 19:19:25
    Ahi Mpls.
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 922
    Re:But this wasn't supposed to be MY trip report...... Really it wasn't !!! 2010/07/29 19:24:57 (permalink)
      That 4 bean salad picture has my attention, The yellow (wax?) beans have always been my favorite; they're the squeekiest.  did you stage the kidney/green bean getaway? Brilliant.  
    post edited by AHI MPLS - 2010/07/30 11:49:52
    quijote
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:But this wasn't supposed to be MY trip report...... Really it wasn't !!! 2010/07/29 21:40:39 (permalink)
    Mmmm, blueberry pie, and those looked like real Maine blueberries. And it's good for you: Just think of all of the healthful antioxidants and fiber!
    dannybotz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 357
    Re:But this wasn't supposed to be MY trip report...... Really it wasn't !!! 2010/07/29 22:16:07 (permalink)
    great looking shepard's pie!!! wow
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:But this wasn't supposed to be MY trip report...... Really it wasn't !!! 2010/07/30 12:44:34 (permalink)
    Ahi

I think they decided to have a race. Actually I saw those two rascals pop off the plate when my young waitress plopped the plate down.

Quijote

Yes- those blueberries were the real deal- on an aside I've been a walking containment field of anti-oxidants and fiber over the last couple of months....

I bet my cholesterol is  down to "Zero" it was at 149 back in December when I was almost 20 lbs heavier. Currently my blood pressure is like 95/65- and the only thing I take is a multi vitamin pill every day.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10178
    Re:But this wasn't supposed to be MY trip report...... Really it wasn't !!! 2010/07/30 13:10:24 (permalink)
    wj-
    Didn't you torture me enough when you sent the photos to my phone?  Now you are making me look at them again?

Great stuff and it looks like you made the most of your time in Maine.  That blueberry pie looks wonderful!
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:But this wasn't supposed to be MY trip report...... Really it wasn't !!! 2010/07/30 19:25:31 (permalink)
    Buffetbuster-

I think your exact words were when you texted me were  "you're killing me" but I'll take torture too!

I woke up early on Saturday since I had to head back towards Rhode Island by early afternoon.

Of course a full breakfast was in order....I do get to cheat the entire weekend (except for Sunday) of course

I decided to return to a place I haven't been to in about 9 years

The Porthole located right in the Old Port. Now they do have real homemade corned beef hash

So I knew what I was getting

Although everything on this plate was good it got  second billing to the ruggedly textured beefy hash which was definitely the star
    of this meal. Although the hash was excpetional it's still a shade or two below the hash served at Hot Suppa about a mile and a half
    from the Porthole.

After breakfast I wandered into the fish market across the alley - and overheard two guys about 10 years older than I talking about Long Island. As it turns out they each grew up a town or two away from me. Talk about a small world!

I then walked across the street to the Port Bean- I figured if the iced coffee I enjoyed the previous day was good then their dark roast should be too- and it was! Although I still prefer The Udder Place a little more- but obviously Port Bean is more centrally located.

After returning to my hotel to check out, I drove out to one of my favorite spots.

The Portland Head Light in Cape Elizabeth.

Now here is the rugged rocky coast that everyone thinks of when they think of Coastal Maine.

I enjoyed walking along the path along the coast

Keep in mind there are no guardrails in some spots so one false step........and.....

anyway, I never get tired of re-visiting the Light House....Probably one of my favorite spots in the country.

It was now approaching noon and time for Lunch.

Not sure if anyone noticed, but the theme for this Maine trip was to visit new Roadfood spots-places I've never been to or places I haven't
    been to in a while. This morning I thought it would be interesting to make this an entire "non seafood" Maine trip- but again this was
    supposed to be Buffetbuster's trip- so at least one symbolic seafood joint is in order..

On  many of my past trips to Portland I've passed this place several times. I've been meaning to go but always end up at my standby's. Well Portland is one of those places I can always return to easily, so I thought I would finally try this place..

Bennys' Famous Fried Clams

strictly take out with some outdoor seating....
    They do offer more than just fried clams..

anyway, they're apparently famous for their fried claims so...

That's what I got- a pint of Whole Bellied Fried Clams With a brittle crisp exterior and an oceanic interior they did not disappoint.

After lunch I had to head back the the old port for two reasons-

The First-

(taken on my cell phone the previous day in order to continue taunting Buffetbuster)

Beal's Ice Cream

I usually get Grape Nut Ice Cream, but I was in the mood for

Rum Raisin- it was good- but I think Toot's Ice Cream from the previous day was better.

Anyway I had one more thing to do.

My friend's engagement party was that evening back in Rhode Island and I needed to bring something.

I knew what I wanted but wasn't sure exactly where to get it..

I found a bakery in the Old Port- I think it was called Port Bake- I inquired about Pie- but they only had bread and pastries
    however without hesitation the young gentleman behind the counter did recommend I go here- a few blocks away..

Two Fat Cats Bakery

Unfortunately they ran out of Blueberry Pie

However the girl behind the counter and one of the other patrons recommended something else..

At this point Buffetbuster  texted me with "you're killing me" obviously barraging him with photos of Fried Clams and Ice Cream.

Well I responded by sending him a photo of this....

My mixed berry pie- and although it was faint- I believe I could hear a "thump" as if someone had fallen to the ground approximately
    700 miles away.

This pie must have weighed at least 5 lbs.

Anyway, I was home approximately two hours and 45 minutes later

and later that evening my friends and I got to enjoy what was probably the single most best item of the trip

along with Rhode Island's own Newport Storm Blueberry Ale.

Although this is the end of this trip, stay tuned for my last trip of the year which starts in just under 3 weeks- it's gonna be a big one- I've mentioned previously I'll be visiting the new Twins Ballpark in Minneapolis- I'll be gone for 2 1/2 weeks. I obviously won't be in the Twin Cities the entire time- where I end up going ....well....let's just say it's gonna be a surprise!

quijote
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:But this wasn't supposed to be MY trip report...... Really it wasn't !!! 2010/07/30 20:20:55 (permalink)
    After seeing these photos, I think I'm about to fall over in a "thump" as well: Those clams are lovely to behold, and I sure wouldn't turn down a slice of that pie. And Maine itself is so gorgeous; your pics really capture the rugged beauty of the coast.

That corned beef hash looks good. What kind of bread is next to it? It looks like it has lots of tasty herbs on top.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:But this wasn't supposed to be MY trip report...... Really it wasn't !!! 2010/07/31 13:47:10 (permalink)
    quijote

After seeing these photos, I think I'm about to fall over in a "thump" as well: Those clams are lovely to behold, and I sure wouldn't turn down a slice of that pie. And Maine itself is so gorgeous; your pics really capture the rugged beauty of the coast.

That corned beef hash looks good. What kind of bread is next to it? It looks like it has lots of tasty herbs on top.

quijote,

That's focaccia bread- they offered several choices and it seems I made the best choice - it was really good.

saps
    • Total Posts : 1560
    Re:But this wasn't supposed to be MY trip report...... Really it wasn't !!! 2010/07/31 15:01:04 (permalink)
    I know I give you crap from time-to-time, and it's probably unwarranted, but you do put some outstanding trip reports and pics together.  You're definitely one of the people that makes this site what it is.
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7832
    Re:But this wasn't supposed to be MY trip report...... Really it wasn't !!! 2010/07/31 15:19:30 (permalink)
    Excellent, Dale.  I always love your naratives and pictures.

You're killing me as well with those clams.  I want them so much!

But what's with the little container of tarter sauce.  I've always dreamed (while salivating) that home made tarter went along with those morsels.

Guess it's only torture.
    Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3778
    Re:But this wasn't supposed to be MY trip report...... Really it wasn't !!! 2010/07/31 21:08:12 (permalink)
    I'll be the third--terrific pictures and great write-up.  That mixed berry pie is a beaut.  So if you had to narrow down your favorite food category on these things, would you have a harder time doing without ice cream, coffee, or your beloved local brews?
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:But this wasn't supposed to be MY trip report...... Really it wasn't !!! 2010/08/01 20:22:20 (permalink)
    Saps

Wow- thanks - I didn't know you had that sensitive side to you- don't reveal it too frequently- you don't want the others to think that you're getting too soft in your old age.

Mar

I know what you mean, I had pointed that out a while back, I was surprised that many of the seafood shacks here in New England don't provide homemade tartar sauce compared to those out in the Pacific Northwest, if I recall one of the few exceptions here in New England is the No Name in Boston, I'm sure there are others I just can't think of any off hand.

Nancy

your question is just way too easy to answer. I can go for months without microbrews  or ice cream, on the other hand, I'm extremely addicted to coffee (kinda like Buffetbuster is addicted to pie!)- not just any coffee but good- rich- dark roast "coffee house" coffee. Now that I'm almost done with my Roadfood research for my upcoming road trip later this month, I'm researching the best local coffee houses in the areas I'm visiting.
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4522
    Re:But this wasn't supposed to be MY trip report...... Really it wasn't !!! 2010/08/03 21:27:37 (permalink)
    Hey Dale,

Let me chime in on your trip report(I would have chimed in earlier, but I was busy). 

You do a great job on your reports.  Since meeting you and getting to know you and your sense of humor, I definitely enjoy the report more.

sk bob
    • Total Posts : 1801
    Re:But this wasn't supposed to be MY trip report...... Really it wasn't !!! 2010/08/07 15:21:05 (permalink)
    Great report WJ!
    I want those clams NOW.
    after blowing your diet your next powerwalk should be to at least Chicago.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:But this wasn't supposed to be MY trip report...... Really it wasn't !!! 2010/08/08 11:26:06 (permalink)
    Joerogo

Thanks! You certainly bring out my sense of humor!

sk bob

Gotta allow a little downtime from the diet every once in a while- no more than a day or two.

The day I started this weekend trip I was 220 lbs- at the high end of my acceptable weight range of 200-220 lbs  for my height and BUILD per my DOCTOR  and as of yesterday I was 215 lbs so I guess I'm doing something right.
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    Re:But this wasn't supposed to be MY trip report...... Really it wasn't !!! 2010/10/17 21:24:12 (permalink)
    Nice report. I really enjoyed it when I finally read it.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15214
    Re:But this wasn't supposed to be MY trip report...... Really it wasn't !!! 2010/10/18 14:07:47 (permalink)
    Dale,
      Good Job (Again) !  Do you remember the price of that Roast Beef Sandwich from the Carvery?? Just curious has to how they compare to the deli sandwiches we have fgound elsewhere??
    AL
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:But this wasn't supposed to be MY trip report...... Really it wasn't !!! 2010/10/18 18:43:39 (permalink)
    mayor al

Dale,
    Good Job (Again) !  Do you remember the price of that Roast Beef Sandwich from the Carvery?? Just curious has to how they compare to the deli sandwiches we have fgound elsewhere??
    AL

Wow - blast from the not too far distant past
    220lbs!!!!

I'll take that now!!!

Al, here's the menu the sandwich I got "The Henry VIII" was $6.75

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10199
    Re:But this wasn't supposed to be MY trip report...... Really it wasn't !!! 2010/10/18 20:30:48 (permalink)
    I must have missed it. What's the name and location where you had your Henry VIII<
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3948
    Re:But this wasn't supposed to be MY trip report...... Really it wasn't !!! 2010/10/18 23:52:19 (permalink)
     I'm Henry the eighth I am  Henry the eighth I am, I am  I got married to the widow next door  She's been married seven times before  And every one was an Henry (Henry)  She wouldn't have a Willy or a Sam (no Sam)  I'm her eighth old man, I'm Henry  Henry the eighth I am

Can't get that song out of my head now!
    Great "not a report", Dale!
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1