Butter Burgers

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
Donna Douglass
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 508
RE: Butter Burgers 2004/08/01 07:20:09 (permalink)
The Culver's on Rentra Drive in Columbus is open and we tried it Friday afternoon.....our first ever Butterburger. They were very tasty but since this was our first try we didn't really know how to order so what dripped from our burger was mayo...ordinarily we don't use mayo on our burgers. They were good though. The one milkshake ordered was also good as reported by my husband but he couldn't finish it. It was quite thick.

It was a very busy place at 2 o'clock in the afternoon.

Donna
Pepper Breath
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 52
RE: Butter Burgers 2004/08/01 09:01:54 (permalink)
I've been to Solly's and I'm a semi-regular Culver's eater. IMHO there is no comparison between the two. Solly's is far and away better than Culver's. Just because they butter the bun doesn't even put them on the edge of Solly's griddle. Culver's is, after all, a "CHAIN". Homogenised quality that shows only occasional imagination to lure in the masses on a quick fix mission.
I'm guilty too, but we miss out on some good stuff by not patronizing the local watering holes.
OK, anyone else want the soapbox?
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15278
RE: Butter Burgers 2004/08/01 10:13:09 (permalink)
Pepper,
Culver's looks pretty good when the competition is the usual run of national chains. No Solly's down here, so we go to Culver's for a better-bacon-butter-burger. Bet you can't order that easily at 3am after a long nite. No wonder White Castle does such a booming business late at nite (One W C is across the street from our new Culver's.
marberthenad
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 509
RE: Butter Burgers 2004/08/01 12:02:34 (permalink)
and here is a photo of a culver's -- though i've never tried one (yet!)

quote:
Originally posted by kland01s

You'd have to go to the midwest to find this Wisconsin based chain. Here is their website!

http://www.culvers.com/

RockyB
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 120
RE: Butter Burgers 2004/08/03 09:40:10 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Pepper Breath

I've been to Solly's and I'm a semi-regular Culver's eater. IMHO there is no comparison between the two. Solly's is far and away better than Culver's. Just because they butter the bun doesn't even put them on the edge of Solly's griddle. Culver's is, after all, a "CHAIN". Homogenised quality that shows only occasional imagination to lure in the masses on a quick fix mission.
I'm guilty too, but we miss out on some good stuff by not patronizing the local watering holes.
OK, anyone else want the soapbox?

I am always amazed by the snobs who feel that just because a place has turned into a "Chain" the food is therefore no good. There's a huge thread in the miscellaneous section about old chains and how good they were. This is about RoodFood. This Culver's, who I've never experienced happens to be a new company in the midwest..requiring many of us to go on a RoadTrip to discover it. How big does something have to become to become an evil chain? Why does someone who works hard and has multiple locations now suddenly become evil and no longer "one of us" because they have expereinced success? What snobbery!!!!
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Butter Burgers 2004/08/03 09:50:54 (permalink)
Rocky,
That's an eternal debate on this site. I happen to agree with you and in concept many others do too. The preservationist clan look for the sole proprietorship type of operation as the heart of the roadfood "soul". I am not looking for an argument from either side...just want to say I have had some pretty good chow at places that have more than one location.
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3301
RE: Butter Burgers 2004/08/03 11:01:20 (permalink)
We ate at Culvers long before it was a chain. We'd stop at Culvers in Stevens Point on our way up north to Manitowish Waters to enjoy their burgers and custard. We watched Culvers grow in Wisconsin and can attest that their burgers are just as good as the originals. We seriously discussed purchasing one of the first Culvers when they started to expand, but decided to go into the hot dog business and brought Vienna Beef into southeastern Wisconsin.

BTW, our two favorite Wisconsin burger joints are "The Spot" in Kenosha and "Kewpee's" in Racine.

Chicagostyledog

Born in Chicago,
Raised in Chicago,
Moved to Wisconsin,
Selling the 1st Chicago style hot dogs once you enter Wisconsin.
Jim Ross
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 314
RE: Butter Burgers 2004/08/03 12:17:06 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by RockyB

quote:
Originally posted by Pepper Breath

I've been to Solly's and I'm a semi-regular Culver's eater. IMHO there is no comparison between the two. Solly's is far and away better than Culver's. Just because they butter the bun doesn't even put them on the edge of Solly's griddle. Culver's is, after all, a "CHAIN".......

I am always amazed by the snobs who feel that just because a place has turned into a "Chain" the food is therefore no good. There's a huge thread in the miscellaneous section about old chains and how good they were. This is about RoodFood. This Culver's, who I've never experienced happens to be a new company in the midwest..requiring many of us to go on a RoadTrip to discover it. How big does something have to become to become an evil chain? Why does someone who works hard and has multiple locations now suddenly become evil and no longer "one of us" because they have expereinced success? What snobbery!!!!

I think there are good chains and bad chains, just like everything else in this world. The good chains to my mind are typically ones that offer a relatively simple menu featuring local preparation with fresh high quality ingredients. They are also honest in their presentation as some place to get a quick, inexpensive meal that doesn't pretend to be fine dining. Some good examples are Steak & Shake, In-n-Out Burgers, Taco Fresco, Fuddrucker's, White Castle and Baja Fresh. I like Culver's, but if you stray off of the burger & frozen custard parts of the menu even it falls into the unwrap the package and heat it up category. The ones I can't stand are places like TGI Friday, Red Lobster, Chili's and Olive Garden. These are the homogenized places that don't have a cook, much less a chef, but they market themselves as upscale eateries. In reality you might as well go to the high end section of the frozen food aisle at your local supermarket.
johnb
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: Butter Burgers 2004/08/03 17:02:35 (permalink)
Now the key question. Has anyone out there who has eaten at Culvers also eaten and In-N-Out, and how would you compare the two?
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Butter Burgers 2004/08/03 18:00:02 (permalink)
John,
I have done both several times over. Honestly Culver's is a better burger...more meat, especially in the Jumbo and more options on the menu (some great and some medium good).
Culver's is primarily a sit-down facility while In n Out for the most part is a drive thru and go (not all, but many are). In n Out has a nostalgic feel about itself that I can't explain, but makes it stand out as "good" in a crowd of Burgers in SoCal.
The Culver's Butterburger, in addition to the more meat is a larger (diameter) burger. Not Whopper size, but large. I suppose if you go to the non-menu burgers at In n Out you could equal the volume of the burger but thats not for sure at all stands.
The fries at Culver's are crinkle cut thicker and are a bit bland. I think the fries at In n Out are a disaster. The thin cut fries are good when hot and very fresh. However they get limp and cold a few minutes from when they leave the counter. Both claim to be "fresh"...I know that In n Out's are as we have watched them being prepared while waiting for our Burgers.
I like both places and frequent both depending on where I am when it is 'Burger Time". If they were side by side I think 8 out of 10 times I would choose Culver's. More Burger for your Buck !
Jim Ross
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 314
RE: Butter Burgers 2004/08/03 18:07:47 (permalink)
I've eaten at Culver's and In-N-Out. They're both good, Culver's has the wonderfull frozen custard a big plus going for it, but the winner is Steak n Shake.
Pepper Breath
Hamburger
RE: Butter Burgers 2004/08/03 21:32:48 (permalink)
Whoa, whip me, beat me, make me pass bad plastic.
Culver's burgers are alright. My point is that if your talking BUTTER burger there is no comparison to the "get the paddles ready" Solly's butter burger and the "lipitor can handle this" Culver's.
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3154
RE: Butter Burgers 2004/08/03 21:38:20 (permalink)
Just to add fuel to the fire, there's a Milwaukee restaurant in business since the depression called Mazo's that I think has a better balance of butter to burger and with daily hand ground meat is my local choice of the three.
geomotz
Hamburger
RE: Butter Burgers 2004/08/04 00:23:43 (permalink)
I think Mazo's was what the 'Happy Days' diner was modeled after (?)
BT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Butter Burgers 2004/08/04 02:46:55 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Ross

I've eaten at Culver's and In-N-Out. They're both good, Culver's has the wonderfull frozen custard a big plus going for it, but the winner is Steak n Shake.

Well it's been a few decades since I ate at Steak n Shake, but I'll give 'em my vote because that's where I ate what food I ate during the spring break road trip to Daytona Beach in 1968. OK, so I drank most of my meals, but like I said, what solid food I ate came from Steak n Shake and I remember it fondly (if hazily).
Pepper Breath
Hamburger
RE: Butter Burgers 2004/08/04 06:13:11 (permalink)
Originally posted by MilwFoodlovers

Just to add fuel to the fire, there's a Milwaukee restaurant in business since the depression called Mazo's that I think has a better balance of butter to burger and with daily hand ground meat is my local choice of the three.

Whats the address on Mazo's, I'd like to try it?
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
RE: Butter Burgers 2004/08/04 08:28:29 (permalink)
Mazo's address is 3146 S. 27th St (just south of Oklahoma St) directly across from Leon's Frozen Custard (which many consider to be Milwaukee's finest-I'm staying neutral).
Aledgedly Elvis held up his plane while an aid made a trip to the Nightowl for their hamburgers. That's on Layton, perhaps 2 blks east of Howell Av. (airport area) and still operates on the honor system. You walk up to a window, place your order and go to your table to wait for your food. After dining you walk back and pay your bill. This system has worked for perhaps 60 years. I made the mistake on my first visit by ordering a triple and I couldn't really open my mouth enough to eat it! It is open only during the warm weather months and never on Sundays or holidays.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Butter Burgers 2004/08/04 08:55:39 (permalink)
The comparison as first presented was between In n Out and Culver's. If you add Steak and Shake to the equation it would finish third or tied for second in my book. S and S is pretty good. It is very Culvers-like in appearance, menu variety, and Marketing 'Style'. My personal taste is for Culvers over S and S. In n Out is in another sphere, as described above. One item--The Culver's Sourdough Melt is hands-down a better sandwich than it's competition from S and S-- the Frisco Melt. (Sorry BT, thats what they call it).

It will be interesting to see what happens when Culvers runs direct competition in an area now served by In n Out (if they ever expand that far). SoCal has accepted Rally's, the Drive-Thru chain, but not in large volume. So maybe another "invader" can make it also.
johnb
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: Butter Burgers 2004/08/04 11:19:06 (permalink)
Al/others

Just a few points/questions. Is the "standard" Culver burger that most folks order a single or a double pattie? (I'm convinced double is the way to go for the most flavor--the In-N-Out secret perhaps??). Also, you mentioned competition in SoCal. I have heard others say Fatburger gives In-N-Out a run for its money. Have you tried Fatburger, and if so how does it compare to Culvers? Last, I see you are located in Southern IN. I pass thru Corydon each Xmas heading to my ancestral home (Jasper if you must know), and I fully intend to stop at that Corydon location and try Culver's. Have you eaten at that location and how does it stack up? (I would add that same exit has a White Castle and it's the only WC that has ever disappointed me--have you tried that one?)
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Butter Burgers 2004/08/04 11:59:37 (permalink)
John,
So many questions, so little space !! I used to get a Fatburger when I would come down "the Hill" into LA sometimes. I don't remember anything particular about them , so a comparison isn't possible now..Maybe after our next visit to our old home. We hope to do a Desert Roadtrip this winter--again.
Culvers offers a Single, a Double and a Jumbo. When we first tried them we ordered Singles, and like In n Out were disappointed at the small(single) burger patti. Jan like the Double and I prefer the Jumbo. I like the Double Double also at In n Out but will normally remove the middle bun section.
When you come back to Hoosierland you may want to check the Culver's that should be open just off the I-164 in Evansville. It looked to be about 50% completed when we drove by a couple of weeks ago. It would be closer to Jasper than we are. We live about 10 minutes away so the Corydon store is 'nearby' in terms of travel time. I too tried the White Castle once...in the daytime. I wasn't happy with the outcome, but think I need to do it at 4am to be fair.
IN L A I still think the Farmer's Boy Mini-Chain does the best overall for the money kind of Burger for sit-down with the trimmings and side orders.

BT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Butter Burgers 2004/08/04 12:57:41 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

One item--The Culver's Sourdough Melt is hands-down a better sandwich than it's competition from S and S-- the Frisco Melt. (Sorry BT, thats what they call it).

That's OK. At least now I've figured out why they call it that--pseudo-sourdough bread and quasi-Louis dressing.
oliver420
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Butter Burgers 2004/08/07 22:40:14 (permalink)
my wife and i have never had a butterburger either. can anyone help us on ordering at culvers?
Pepper Breath
Hamburger
RE: Butter Burgers 2004/08/07 22:55:44 (permalink)
What highway is your Chicago Dog stand on? I'd like to stop for a fix if I'm ever in the neighborhood.
quote:
Originally posted by chicagostyledog

We ate at Culvers long before it was a chain. We'd stop at Culvers in Stevens Point on our way up north to Manitowish Waters to enjoy their burgers and custard. We watched Culvers grow in Wisconsin and can attest that their burgers are just as good as the originals. We seriously discussed purchasing one of the first Culvers when they started to expand, but decided to go into the hot dog business and brought Vienna Beef into southeastern Wisconsin.

BTW, our two favorite Wisconsin burger joints are "The Spot" in Kenosha and "Kewpee's" in Racine.

Chicagostyledog

Born in Chicago,
Raised in Chicago,
Moved to Wisconsin,
Selling the 1st Chicago style hot dogs once you enter Wisconsin.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Butter Burgers 2004/08/08 01:12:26 (permalink)
Oliver,
You order a ButterBurger, Single, Double or Jumbo.There is a list of stuff you can have "on" your sandwich. So depending on what you want you can say "Everything" or No Onion, or Lettuse and Pickle, or whatever. They also have the Melt "burger" which is served on buttered toast instead of a bun.
The single is a pretty light weight Burger.
We usually order the Bacon Cheese Butter Burger...a Double for my wife and a Jumbo for me.
AL
baughman
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 116
RE: Butter Burgers 2004/08/14 17:40:30 (permalink)
I saw someone say there is one in Troy. Is that Troy Ohio? I live in Middletown Ohio and make a monthly trip back home to the Lima area to eat at Kewpees. Would love to make a 2 meal trip out of it.
I still remember when I started dating my now wife down here. It was a thursday night and she asked me what I was up to friday night. I said I was on a small road trip back home, and she replied " O' to see your family" I smiled and said no actually I take a monthly trip to Lima to get hamburgers at Kewpee. After she stoped laughing 10 minutes later I told her I was serious and if she wanted she could join me on my pilgrimage to Lima. ( the drive usually takes about hr and half each way) She called me after I got off work friday and said sure she would go. Still not believe I was actually going just for burgers. Well to make a long story short(and to end your misory of my spelling and punctuation) We pulled into Kewpee hr and half later walked in and ate got back in car and drove home. She has been hooked ever since. We try once a month to pick a random town on the map with in 2 hrs of our house and drive there to find a place to eat. In between the trips to Kewpees.

My comp is messing up were I cant get a second link to come off of a webpage. so if someone knows were the carver is in Troy would love the address or were abouts.
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
RE: Butter Burgers 2004/08/14 17:49:18 (permalink)
I went to www.culvers.com and came up with this:
Culver's of Troy
2100 West Main Street
Troy, OH 45373
937-332-7402
FAX 937-332-7068
2005Equinox
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 219
RE: Butter Burgers 2004/08/16 02:10:42 (permalink)
I usually get a double cheeseburger plain whenever I go to Culvers. Fried onions but nothing is really necessary to make this wonderful burger taste better. Sometimes I will get it with swiss instead of american cheese for something different. Their chicken tenders are really good too. Not something you can get in the store. Their fries are excellent as well as the custard. Excellent bang for buck here in northeast Wisconsin.
4fish
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 214
RE: Butter Burgers 2004/08/16 13:41:06 (permalink)
In honor of this thread I HAD to go to dinner at Culver's last night. (Roadfood made me do it!)

I had a double cheeseburger with fried onions, ketchup and mustard, fries and a chocolate sundae with M&Ms for dessert. I don't mind the taste of the mayo, lettuce and tomato, but it makes the sandwich way too slippery. Stuff falls out.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Butter Burgers 2004/08/16 14:38:02 (permalink)
It was our Lunch today also. Jumbo Bacon ButterBurger with fries and a drink ($5.61). No room today for Ice Cream (custard) but there will be other days !!
Rustywolf
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 176
RE: Butter Burgers 2004/08/17 13:28:03 (permalink)
I don't work there, but my wife and I love to eat there and I have never had a bad ANYTHING at Culver's. the previous claim that "straying off " the burger items will send you down a wrong culinary path I have not found to be true.

Their cod dinner is truly outstanding for a fast-food joint, and I have ordered this in both Indiana and Michigan with similar results. Three huge slabs of melt-in-your mouth cod, served with excellent fries and wonderful coleslaw — and a roll! I couldn't finish it.

They have a ribeye sandwich that is terrific, and will even fry up mushrooms and onioons for it if you ask.

Real blackberries, too, if that's your taste atop custard sundaes. By the way, their custard is their real trademark item, but I don't especially care for it. Ultra-rich and thick: it's almost like eating butter. I realize, of course, that this is a minority view.

My wife has just returned from California, and had an In-and-Out burger there.

Her preference: Culver's. Easily. - Rusty
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1