Butter Burgers

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Author
garryd451
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 705
RE: Butter Burgers 2006/02/19 15:24:16 (permalink)
I love Culver's food. I have eaten at four different Culver's and Never been anything but very very happy with it.

Their Ice Cream is good, but it is not as good as Ritter's!

But then again Ice cream is the only thing Ritter's serve!!!!!!!!
octopus
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 264
RE: Butter Burgers 2006/02/20 16:50:47 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by gatorbreath

Below is a recipe (untried by me) which I found on the website of a local meat market. I found it interesting for its use of egg yolks(???) and especially the encased butter pats.

Real Hamburgers
10 to 12 servings

2 pounds ground chuck

1 pound ground sirloin

3 tablespoon steak sauce (your favorite)

6 x-large egg yolks

1 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

4 tablespoon cold unsalted butter

12 hamburger buns

Carefully mix the meats, steak sauce, egg yolks, salt and pepper with fork or clean hands. Do not mash it. Lightly form and press into patties. Make an indentation and put a thin slice of butter inside each hamburger, making sure the butter is entirely encased in the meat.

Grill 5 minutes on each side until almost done. Remove to a plate and cover with aluminum foil. Allow burgers to rest for 5 minutes and serve on buns offering all your favorite condiments.

I have a similar recipe. because I won't eat Hamburger unless it is well done.
I take 2 patties hand formed to be about the same size.
between the patties I place 1 pat of butter fresh Chopped Parsley, and a clove of minced garlic. spred it out evenly then shape the 2 patties together being careful to seal up the edges well.
I then put them back into the fridge for a while, so the butter is solid, frozen butter works better.
salt, pepper and cook on the grill over High Heat 5-8 minutes per side.
I love these, I am a big guy and I have a problem eating 2 of these without a bun.
Now I want one. Guess I know what's for Dinner tonight.
Ermo
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 36
RE: Butter Burgers 2006/02/21 16:28:18 (permalink)
I did not read every post on this thread, so a thousand pardons if this has been mentioned already, but ...

A word of caution if you're on a road trip and you stop at your favorite butterburger joint for lunch. (I'm a big fan of Culver's myself).

You eat the Double ButterBurger Deluxe ... and what the heck some fries ... and of course a chocolate shake ... then you get back behind the wheel and hit the road ... and I dare you to stay awake.
Niagara
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 984
RE: Butter Burgers 2006/02/27 10:32:48 (permalink)
We live in Topeka, KS, and I had seen Culver's commercials during Cubs games on WGN, but never had tried one until they recently opened a Culver's in Lawrence, KS. We really liked them, and Culver's is now my wife's favorite place for burgers around here. Too bad the custard doesn't come in sugar-free (I'm diabetic).
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15272
RE: Butter Burgers 2006/03/05 11:09:25 (permalink)
Niagara,
We have had the same reaction to Culver's when it opened a store not far from us in Southern Indiana. Janet likes their version of a grilled Reuben or the Oriental Chicken Salad, and I alternate between the Pork Tenderloin and the Bacon ButterBurger. For a FF stand I believe Culvers stands head and shoulders above the others. P S We enjoy the custard also.
bjanuary
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 16
RE: Butter Burgers 2006/03/11 10:03:03 (permalink)
Culver's has been aggressively moving into the Chicago suburbs--I think they're awful. Way too overpriced with a funny taste. They don't hold a candle to Steak 'N Shake (which used to be a lot better, BTW). I think people who like Culver's have not been exposed to either Steak 'N Shake or In-and-Out burgers out west, so they don't know what a good burger is!
Pepper Breath
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 52
RE: Butter Burgers 2006/03/11 11:22:10 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by bjanuary

Culver's has been aggressively moving into the Chicago suburbs--I think they're awful. Way too overpriced with a funny taste. They don't hold a candle to Steak 'N Shake (which used to be a lot better, BTW). I think people who like Culver's have not been exposed to either Steak 'N Shake or In-and-Out burgers out west, so they don't know what a good burger is!

I've got to take exception. I've been to Steak'N Shake and they're good but I wouldn't put them ahead of Culver's. I've never had an In-and-out but from what I've seen I can't believe they do anything more magical than anyone else.
To get the full effect of Culvers you have to get the Jumbo burger. For some reason the single is just another burger.

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18422
RE: Butter Burgers 2006/03/11 11:29:42 (permalink)
I've never been to Culver's, but I have been to Steak & Shake, and I cannot imagine that any place on earth wouldn't have better hamburgers than Steak & Shake. All they serve at Steak & Shake are little, flavorless crispy critters on buns. One might as well stick a hockey puck under a broiler and slap that on a bun.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15272
RE: Butter Burgers 2006/03/11 12:01:07 (permalink)
I have experienced all three of the mentioned places many times over the years. They are about equal in my book, with little 'tweaks' in each business to make them acceptable.

I lived for years in SoCal where In n Out is the undisputed champ of the FF Burger empire(in that region). Nothing out there comes close...in it's catagory. Once you step beyond the drive-thru or minimum menu type of stand there are a few that come close (ie: Farmer Boys) and perhaps some others.

Here in the Midwest, Steak and Shake is a long established business. It has a much broader menu, and centers on ordering with a server then sit-down eating with a drive-thru business "on the side" (no pun intended). The Burgers and other sandwiches are quite good. I don't care for the shoestring type of FF, but that is an individual preference. My favorite sandwich there is the San Francisco Melt.

Last, but in my book, NOT LEAST, comes the new guy (in our area)..Culver's. As stated before I really like their sandwiches and custard. They seem to have struck a balance between order at the counter then sit-down to eat and a drive-thru service that works for me.

I guess I would not be willing to assign afirst, second, and third place value on these three business's. I think the food quality is close to equal at all three. For me it is a matter of access. In n Out is out West. When we make a run 'home' to see friends and family we look forward to hitting an In n Out as soon as we get close to Vegas or SoCal. Here in Indiana the distances are shorter, but still contribute to the choices we make. Culvers is 11 miles west in a small town and next to a Super-WalMart and the I-64 interchange...read Convenient. Steak and Shake has a couple of locations about 15-20 miles East, in the Metro-Louisville area. Now Louisville is Not L A as far as traffic goes, but it also isn't small town Indiana for ease of access and traffic either. So we tend to make more stops at Culvers because we shop in the town near it, without feeling like we are 'lowering our standards".

All three places serve very good sandwiches, I have no trouble recommending any or all of them .
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13493
RE: Butter Burgers 2006/03/11 12:10:21 (permalink)
Mr. Mayor, I stopped at that exit 11 miles west of you during our Owensboro visit. Unfortunately Culvers was closed that early in the morning when I was there. I was looking forward to their sandwiches.

I did a stop at Walmart while I was there and grabbed a White Castle, I think.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
bjanuary
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 16
RE: Butter Burgers 2006/03/12 11:35:44 (permalink)
I've never been to Culver's, but I have been to Steak & Shake, and I cannot imagine that any place on earth wouldn't have better hamburgers than Steak & Shake. All they serve at Steak & Shake are little, flavorless crispy critters on buns. One might as well stick a hockey puck under a broiler and slap that on a bun.

You must have gone to a place other than Steak 'N Shake--I've been eating there for years and the burgers are juicy and flavorful, not at all like you describe.
toddfleet
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 79
RE: Butter Burgers 2006/10/20 16:53:44 (permalink)
I am glad to see that even though it is a chain Culver's is generally liked by the group. In our area (central IL) the Culvers are all of excellent quality, IMO. I do agree with PepperBreath that, for some reason, their single burger is not much better then average, a double or jumbo is necessary to get the full enjoyment, maybe more burger vs. bun or something. I also like their crinkle fries rather that the usual smaller fry or shoestring. The single vs double also goes for Steak & Shake, if one has only ordered a single there they did not get much of a burger, but I do like a nice double w/cheese.
HollyDolly
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1069
RE: Butter Burgers 2006/10/23 10:29:57 (permalink)
never had a butter burger though I can make it at home.As far as Culver's goes,there is one in San Antonio,but way over near I-10North and De Zavala Road,way on the other side of town from me. maybe they will put one over here with all the building going on.
kland01s
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2835
RE: Butter Burgers 2006/10/23 10:49:39 (permalink)
I have to agree with others here, Culver's is by far the better option. I went back to Steak N Shake just to compare and found the burger to have no flavor and a burnt crust taste. An even better burger comes from Portillo's, the Chicago area hot dog and Italian beef chain. It is flame broiled and tastes like something you would do in your back yard.
Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1