Buttermilk Pie/Sugar Cream Pie in Indiana

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7905
2003/04/30 13:39:25 (permalink)

Buttermilk Pie/Sugar Cream Pie in Indiana

I've seen several references to both buttermilk pie and sugar cream pie relating to cuisine in Indiana. Are they similar, the same or do they each have different ingredients

34 Replies Related Threads

Jennifer_4
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1511
    RE: Buttermilk Pie/Sugar Cream Pie in Indiana 2003/04/30 17:14:20 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wanderingjew

I've seen several references to both buttermilk pie and sugar cream pie relating to cuisine in Indiana. Are they similar, the same or do they each have different ingredients

I'm not from Indiana, but I've made both pies you describe, and the difference is buttermilk vs regular milk. Even people who don't care for buttermilk (myself included) love the taste of buttermilk pie.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13522
    RE: Buttermilk Pie/Sugar Cream Pie in Indiana 2003/04/30 20:44:42 (permalink)
    This poor old Tennessee boy has never had a buttermilk pie. Please describe it and if possible, ingredients.

Thanks
    Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    capital
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: Buttermilk Pie/Sugar Cream Pie in Indiana 2003/04/30 22:46:21 (permalink)
    Those who have not tried buttermilk pie must try it! Many don't like buttermilk, but they love the pie.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Buttermilk Pie/Sugar Cream Pie in Indiana 2003/04/30 23:35:59 (permalink)
    Dearfolk,
    The best Sugar Cream Pie I ever tasted was back in 1986 at a roadside eatery a mile or two west of Floyd's Knobs, Indiana... about 15 miles above Louisville, Kentucky. If I knew that place was still there and as good as it was, I'd make a hundred-mile detour to go back there. (Sigh.)
    Nostalgically, Ort. Carlton.
    Jennifer_4
    • Total Posts : 1511
    RE: Buttermilk Pie/Sugar Cream Pie in Indiana 2003/05/02 17:46:50 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

This poor old Tennessee boy has never had a buttermilk pie. Please describe it and if possible, ingredients.

Thanks
    Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

Paul, buttermilk pie is like a cross between custard pie and cheesecake in flavor.. The ingredients are Buttermilk, eggs, sugar, lemon juice, lemon peel, and butter. Very simple but very good. If you like I will dig up my old tymie recipe for it.
    glenda Palmer
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 30
    RE: Buttermilk Pie/Sugar Cream Pie in Indiana 2003/05/02 17:50:47 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

Thanks
    Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

glenda Palmer
    Junior Burger
    RE: Buttermilk Pie/Sugar Cream Pie in Indiana 2003/05/02 17:57:19 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wanderingjew

glenda Palmer
    Junior Burger
    RE: Buttermilk Pie/Sugar Cream Pie in Indiana 2003/05/02 17:59:45 (permalink)
    Buttermilk pie has sugar, buttermilk, butter, vanilla and small amount of cornmeal. It is delicous. If you are near Lebanon, TN stop in at the Sunset Restaurant and you will get a delicious piece of Buttermilk pie.
    Boatman
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: Buttermilk Pie/Sugar Cream Pie in Indiana 2003/05/02 19:22:06 (permalink)
    There is a relatively new bakery in Seymour, Indiana, that offers several homemade pies, including an absolutely killer sugar cream! I can't remember the name, but downtown Seymour is not that big.
    bumper
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 96
    RE: Buttermilk Pie/Sugar Cream Pie in Indiana 2003/05/04 15:03:10 (permalink)
    This pie talk made me remember a pie sold at the top of Clinch Mtn. between Tazewell and Bean Station Tn called Vinegar Pie well worth a try. Sorry can't remenber the name of the market/rest. but its the only business on top at a overview of the area.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13522
    RE: Buttermilk Pie/Sugar Cream Pie in Indiana 2003/05/04 19:24:50 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by bumper

This pie talk made me remember a pie sold at the top of Clinch Mtn. between Tazewell and Bean Station Tn called Vinegar Pie well worth a try. Sorry can't remenber the name of the market/rest. but its the only business on top at a overview of the area.

Bumper: I have stopped at that restaurant on top of the mountain close to Morristown several times on the way to the races at Bristol. Used to be real good and I have had the pie you were talking about. Last time there????? Keep on moving but great view.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    bumper
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 96
    RE: Buttermilk Pie/Sugar Cream Pie in Indiana 2003/05/06 20:02:10 (permalink)
    To bad Paul like so many things change happens sometimes bad.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15304
    RE: Buttermilk Pie/Sugar Cream Pie in Indiana 2003/05/06 20:52:27 (permalink)
    Boatman
    Is the bakery in Seymour, IN on Rt 50 in the older part of town...as opposed to the strip malls between town and I-65?
    AL
    Lanesville, IN
    CoreyEl
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 156
    RE: Buttermilk Pie/Sugar Cream Pie in Indiana 2003/05/13 17:07:39 (permalink)
    This is what's in sugar cream pie:

Sugar Pie

1 9" crust, baked and cooled
    ¾ c. packed brown sugar
    ¼ c. vanilla sugar plus extra for the top
    ½ c. sifted flour
    2 c. light cream
    1 ½ t. vanilla
    1 t. lemon juice
    1 t. brandy
    4 T. cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
    Freshly grated nutmeg

Preheat the oven to 350°. Mix the sugars and flour together and sprinkle evenly over the bottom of the pie shell.

In a separate bowl, combine the cream, vanilla, lemon juice and brandy. Pour this into the pie shell. Dot with butter and sprinkle with nutmeg.

Bake the pie for 40-45 minutes, until the filling is set. Let cool slightly, sprinkle with additional vanilla sugar and serve.

Vanilla Sugar: Bury a vanilla bean in a jar of sugar. Let stand for several days before using.
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2883
    RE: Buttermilk Pie/Sugar Cream Pie in Indiana 2003/05/22 02:21:36 (permalink)
    Poor deprived Sundancer! You bake one of these tonight when it's cool enough to turn the stove on. We're having a terrible heat wave, otherwise just typing this would have sent me into the kitchen!

BUTTERMILK PIE:

1 cup sugar
    1 tsp. cinnamon
    1 tsp. nutmeg
    1 tsp. vanilla
    3 Tbsp cornstarch (mixed with just a little water)
    1/3 cup melted butter
    3 large eggs
    1 cup buttermilk
    1 9-inch pie shell (unbaked)

Preheat oven to 350.

In a large bowl, combine the 1st 7 ingredients (Sugar through eggs). Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until well blended. Add the buttermilk and mix well.

Pour into pie shell. Set pie on a cookie sheet to catch drips, and bake 45 minutes or until set and brown on top. (FROM THE MAYBERRY COOKBOOK...I kid you not...it's a great cookbook!)

- I suppose you could exchange lemon juice and zest for the cinnamon and nutmeg, I know tea cakes come both ways. I'm not sure about the cornmeal, maybe it's used instead of cornstarch as a thickener.
    practans
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 24
    RE: Buttermilk Pie/Sugar Cream Pie in Indiana 2003/08/01 12:05:01 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by bumper

I have a half-dozen recipes for vinegar pie...all different. Here's one that's tasty:

OLD TIME VINEGAR PIE
    1 c. sugar
    1 c. cold water
    3 egg yolks
    1 whole egg
    3 heaping tbsp. flour
    2 tbsp. butter
    5 tbsp. vinegar
    2 tsp. lemon extract
    Mix above ingredients together thoroughly. Cook until thick. Pour into baked pie shell. Beat whites of eggs until stiff. Add 4 tablespoons sugar and spread on pie. Place in oven and brown lightly.
    JimInKy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 599
    RE: Buttermilk Pie/Sugar Cream Pie in Indiana 2003/12/31 05:33:00 (permalink)
    I've only once enjoyed buttermilk pie and that was at the home of a woman who was researching recipes in hopes of authoring a buttermilk pie cookbook. I don't know if she ever did, but she should have; she could do anything in the world that interested her: earn advanced degrees in math, build houses, make furniture, etc.

Her pie was beyond delicious amd I still muse about it from time to time. I'm surprised buttermilk pie has not caught on and become popular, but they are rarely made around here and are nearly forgotten.

I've been thinking of tracking down the would-be-pie-author to ask for her favored buttermilk pie recipe. If I do and she shares it, I'll post it here for all to enjoy.

Now, we're excited about sugar cream pie. I've never heard of such a pie, but hope to try one before long, since they're made in nearby Indiana.

We occasionally had vinegar pies when I was growing up, but I wasn't sophisticated enough to enjoy them. I was one to bargain with mom for cherry pies. Now, rhubarb pie was different. We had them in season, both pie and cobbler. They were great.
    JimInKy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 599
    RE: Buttermilk Pie/Sugar Cream Pie in Indiana 2003/12/31 06:00:52 (permalink)
    There's a recipe for Buttermilk Pie on page 152 of the The Blue Willow Inn Cookbook by Jane Stern.

The revered Blue Willow Inn is in Social Circle, Georgia and is reviewed in Jane and Michael's dining guides and on the Roadfood Web site.

I would imagine the pie is made and served at the Inn's bountiful buffet.
    Emerald
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 27
    RE: Buttermilk Pie/Sugar Cream Pie in Indiana 2004/04/30 23:01:14 (permalink)
    Sugar Cream Pie used to be made by Wick's Pies in Muncie, IN and were exceedingly popular; I've not tasted one for maybe thirty years. One of my aunts made Vinegar Pie adding green grapes to it....as long as it had sugar in it we ate it.....what an addiction.
    Tristan Indiana
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 328
    RE: Buttermilk Pie/Sugar Cream Pie in Indiana 2004/05/01 00:55:31 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Emerald

Sugar Cream Pie used to be made by Wick's Pies in Muncie, IN and were exceedingly popular; I've not tasted one for maybe thirty years. One of my aunts made Vinegar Pie adding green grapes to it....as long as it had sugar in it we ate it.....what an addiction.
    Wicks still makes sugar cream pies and can be found in most supermarkets in central Indiana. My mom use to make a killer sugar cream pie as well as something called a Jefferson Chess Pie, a cross between a sugar cream and pecan pie is how I'd describe it.
    Z66 Butch
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 199
    RE: Buttermilk Pie/Sugar Cream Pie in Indiana 2005/11/08 23:19:48 (permalink)
    We bought a Wicks sugar cream pie a while back and they are still as good as they were years ago! A sugar cream pie is very easy to make and there are recipes all over the internet! Sometimes I add about a half of a cup of peanut butter to the mixture as it is cooking to make a GREAT peanut butter pie!
    bs1001
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 11
    RE: Buttermilk Pie/Sugar Cream Pie in Indiana 2006/02/18 09:52:00 (permalink)
    i actually made my first sugar cream pie a couple of nights ago, i didn't like it too much, maybeit was my recipe. i made a buttermilk pie about a month ago,and i loved it, it is also called magnolia pie.i will make the buttermilk pie alot more. have any of you guys ever tried brown sugar pie, my grandmother use to make it all the time, my aunt makes it for all the holiday get togethers. i have made a couple of brown sugar pies and love them aswell. i took one to work, alot of ppl there had never had it before, and they loved it!! brad
    Pwingsx
    • Total Posts : 2170
    RE: Buttermilk Pie/Sugar Cream Pie in Indiana 2006/02/19 02:10:08 (permalink)
    Given all the new sugar substitutes on the market, would it even be worth it to try to make a chess or sugar pie with the Splenda substitutes? I've had my mouth watering over recipes, but am diabetic, so don't even know if it's worth it to open this particular can of worms.....I'm from Colorado so it's not like I grew up with this stuff....would I know it from the real thing?
    KIMMYJ1962
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 58
    RE: Buttermilk Pie/Sugar Cream Pie in Indiana 2006/02/27 14:39:31 (permalink)
    I love this site but usually just read so bear with me... thx.
    bs1001 that brown sugar pie sounds right up my alley... any chance you would post the recipe here?
    bye all, Kim
    mrf326
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 15
    RE: Buttermilk Pie/Sugar Cream Pie in Indiana 2006/02/27 14:51:57 (permalink)
    Are these variations or other names for CHESS pie?
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Buttermilk Pie/Sugar Cream Pie in Indiana 2006/02/27 21:09:44 (permalink)
    We had our first taste of Buttermilk pie and also Chess pie, at the recent meet-up at Moonlight BBQ in Owensboro, KY. Both pies were delicious, but the Buttermilk was expecially outstanding.

Cheers, John
    plb
    • Total Posts : 1036
    RE: Buttermilk Pie/Sugar Cream Pie in Indiana 2006/02/27 22:32:35 (permalink)
    We had Sugar Cream pie in Indiana this Christmas for the first time. The vote as 4 for bland and 5 for subtle.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15304
    RE: Buttermilk Pie/Sugar Cream Pie in Indiana 2006/02/27 23:28:24 (permalink)

I think the Buttermilk Pie, Chess Pie, and Sugar/Cream Pie may have certain tweaks that help to give them individual 'identity', but they have a common base that makes them very similiar in consistency and flavor especially to the palate that is unfamiliar with their subtle differences. I like'em all!
    myway
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 310
    RE: Buttermilk Pie/Sugar Cream Pie in Indiana 2006/06/01 20:29:29 (permalink)
    Hi,
    Well I am in Indiana. I am a transplanted Texan here cursed to walk this land for my past sins and transgressions.(Just kidding), but the saving grace are our pies and cookies etc. Here in Indiana you have a large part of the population whose families come from the South, Kentucky and so forth. Then on top of that we have the Amish population here as well. The Amish can cook like you would not believe. I had an Amish apple pie once that could not be matched. It was perfection. Sugar creme pie is also an Amish specialty. Warm it up in a microwave, slap on a healthy scoop of ice cream, and there you have it. See...there is more than corn in Indiana.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1