Buying a BBQ cooker

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Stogie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 128
RE: Buying a BBQ cooker 2003/06/17 18:09:09 (permalink)
Lucky.....

I understand your concerns about briqs. There are a few folks who have hyper sensitive taste buds and can tell the difference.

Having said that, most of the competitors that use the WSM's use briqs and slow start the charcoal that way....and they win plenty of ribbons. I personally have beaten many folks who use lump charcoal, so certified judges can't seem to tell the difference and they are trained at picking up unusual tastes.

I have also done dozens of blind tests on my ribs...briqs vs. lump....and so far, not one single person could tell any difference.

Don't get me wrong, I use lump when I do my grilling, but give me a good briq any day for slow smoking.

BUTTTT....in the end, whatever suits YOU is the BEST way to cook!

Stogie
EliseT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2885
RE: Buying a BBQ cooker 2003/06/18 05:08:48 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Lucky Bishop

I've never bought that concept of slow-lighting charcoal briquettes

Oh, I can assure you the charcoal method Stogie recommends is incredible. I used it to indirect-BBQ some ribs over the weekend. I kept a steady 225 degrees in my BBQ for 6 straight hours without relighting or adding coals. Not once did that thermometer waver a degree! It was a steadier heat than my oven keeps and it blew my mind.
nrwayne
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Buying a BBQ cooker 2003/06/23 16:08:43 (permalink)
Fascinating there's nary a mention of the Big Green Egg, which is an Americanized version of the Japanese Kamado. The BGE is ceramic, weighs a ton, comes in a number of sizes, and has wide flexibility. It'll smoke for many hours at 200-250 or send out blue lightning with temperatures north of 1000 degrees. No joke. The better sizes at medium and large, which are approximately 19 and 23 inches in diameter. Once you've experienced food cooked in this fashion, you'll find it hard to settle for anything less. Tendy, juicy, and incredibly flavorful. Yes, there is a learning curve, but after having "paid my dues", I junked the Webers and gas grills and won't turn back. FYI, there's an extensive forum at www.biggreenegg.com, which can become addictive. Eggs start in the $200 range and climb to about $500. Prices vary widely according to dealer.
Big Muzzy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: Buying a BBQ cooker 2003/07/03 10:58:18 (permalink)
I've had an old Brinkman vertical smoker for years...it is electric, but you can put a hand-full of water soaked hickory chips down on the heating element before you load it with ribbs or a pork roast, and fire it up. Basically trouble free, I have smoked up to 90 lbs. of ribbs overnight and had them come out perfect every time....Brinkman now makes a couple of inexpensive models...both single and double tier. I really feel you can't go wrong with one of their units.
PS - I do not 'par-boil' or remove the 'film' from the back of my ribbs...I DO use a marinade (Dale's) followed by a dry rub...Happy Smoking on the 4th of July! ;o)
playgolf
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 13
RE: Buying a BBQ cooker 2003/07/03 13:15:00 (permalink)
I have the Bandera and love it...won a little friendly "rib off" competition a couple of weeks ago.
Good airflow and I use whole logs after starting with charcoal...
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13524
RE: Buying a BBQ cooker 2003/08/01 09:58:45 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by nrwayne

Fascinating there's nary a mention of the Big Green Egg, which is an Americanized version of the Japanese Kamado. The BGE is ceramic, weighs a ton, comes in a number of sizes, and has wide flexibility. It'll smoke for many hours at 200-250 or send out blue lightning with temperatures north of 1000 degrees. No joke. The better sizes at medium and large, which are approximately 19 and 23 inches in diameter. Once you've experienced food cooked in this fashion, you'll find it hard to settle for anything less. Tendy, juicy, and incredibly flavorful. Yes, there is a learning curve, but after having "paid my dues", I junked the Webers and gas grills and won't turn back. FYI, there's an extensive forum at www.biggreenegg.com, which can become addictive. Eggs start in the $200 range and climb to about $500. Prices vary widely according to dealer.

Has anyone else had any experience with the Green Egg? If so, I would appreciate hearing about. The above poster mentioned a learning curve???

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: Buying a BBQ cooker 2003/08/01 23:39:51 (permalink)
I gave my youngest son a large size Big Green Egg for his birthday a few years ago. At first he was frustrated and not too happy with his $500 toy, but he , when all else failed, read the directions and gradually learned to do great food on it. It is unbelievably economical to operate- a little handful of chacoal will last for hours. It can smoke at a steady 225 forever, and it can sear a steak at 800 with no trouble. He communicates with other BGE owners on a website they run, so I'm sure you could get plenty of information there from experienced people. It is large enough that he smoked two 8 lb butts together with no trouble a few weeks ago. I believe thay are manufactured in Georgia. If you decide to purchase one, be sure to get the table with it. The spindly litle feet they provide seem dangerous to me. Alternately, they provide directions to build your own table which Jeff's father-in-law built for him out of sturdy- last -forever oak.
Rick F.
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1736
RE: Buying a BBQ cooker 2003/08/02 11:20:22 (permalink)
FYI: the link to http://www.biggreenegg.com has a comma after egg, so doesn't work. Use this one instead.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1