Buying meat in bulk?

Author
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5165
2011/07/19 10:03:55 (permalink)

Buying meat in bulk?

This came up in a different thread so rather than hijack I thought I'd give it its own home:

deepfryerdan

ScreamingChicken I've seen them in the frozen food section of my local Piggly Wiggly but have never purchased any because I always have a good supply of ground beef from my annual bulk purchase.  But they certainly look good!

Where do you do your bulk purchases at? My wife and I are interested in doing something like that but I don't quite understand the cost comparison between that and buying at the grocery store.. honestly, I just dont understand how it works nor all the terms they use.

I buy my beef from a guy I used to work with; his dad's a farmer and they raise a few head (a Red Angus/Hereford cross IIRC) every year so it's not a major enterprise by any stretch.  A family just down the road from my house raises Scottish Highland cattle and I've been tempted to show up at their door carrying a bag of charcoal and a knife.

A quarter or split half (I buy a split half every December/January) will give you enough beef to require decent freezer space, you'll probably get a few cuts you wouldn't ordinarily buy, and sometimes the cost savings aren't what you might be expecting.  I'll have to look up what I paid and how many pounds I got last year; I recall it typically being 180-200 pounds and $400-500 for the beef itself and the processing fee.

But if you do a bulk purchase from a packing house or meat locker you might have a little more flexibility as far as what cuts and how much you get.  If it's just the 2 of you this might be an option, and it certainly can't hurt to make a phone call or 2.

Brad

3 Replies Related Threads

joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4545
    Re:Buying meat in bulk? 2011/07/19 10:18:01 (permalink)
    ScreamingChicken, <----I still have a hard time getting used to calling you this

I am making my first bulk purchase, 1/2 a pig, $2.25/pound plus processing.  The pig met his demise yesterday and I am expecting my bounty by the end of the week.  Everything is cut, smoked and wrapped according to my requests, then frozen.  I am expecting about 150 pounds of meat.

The pig is coming from the farmer I rent land from on the Susquehanna River in Tunkhannock, PA.  Although he grew up about 200 feet from my camper, I never took the time to meet him personally  

So, I don't know if this is a good deal or not, plus I don't know if I am going to like having all my freezer space taken up, but at least I know the little feller was raised without any chemicals or antibiotics.

pnwchef
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2462
    Re:Buying meat in bulk? 2011/07/19 11:28:06 (permalink)
    I process two cows in early spring, I finish them in the winter for 4 months after coming off 8 months on pasture. I have them processed USDA so I  can use a lot of the cuts in my Cafe, some years I have 800 lbs of ground beef, so it is a good outlet to use a lot of meat. I think you guys are right, it's nice knowing where your meat comes from and that they are raised in a local pasture. I get my Heifers up to around 1150 lbs and my Steers up to 1400 lbs. I require 18 to 24 days hang time, this allows the tendons to break down and tenderize the meat. I have my ground beef made out of the Chuck, along with one 5lb Chuck roast. having two cows processed gives me a chance to have T Bones cut out of one cow, New Yorks and Tenders cut out of another. The top sirloin steaks are cut from the sirloin and a sirloin tip roast is kept whole. I keep the prime rib whole "cut in half" with the chine and feather bone removed, that way I can serve a bone-in slice of prime rib that will knock your socks off..........I agree with Joe and SC, buy 1/4 or 1/2 beef that has been pasture raised and finished on a good grain/corn mixture and Hormone fee. Make sure they hang the beef for at leat 14days, 18 to 24 is better. Have the beef Cut to your liking and enjoy. The meat that is going to your local grocer is raised in feed lots, injected with hormones for quick growth with no hang time at all.......................pnwc
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6186
    Re:Buying meat in bulk? 2011/07/19 13:39:19 (permalink)
    joerogo

ScreamingChicken, <----I still have a hard time getting used to calling you this

I am making my first bulk purchase, 1/2 a pig, $2.25/pound plus processing.  The pig met his demise yesterday and I am expecting my bounty by the end of the week.  Everything is cut, smoked and wrapped according to my requests, then frozen.  I am expecting about 150 pounds of meat.

The pig is coming from the farmer I rent land from on the Susquehanna River in Tunkhannock, PA.  Although he grew up about 200 feet from my camper, I never took the time to meet him personally  

So, I don't know if this is a good deal or not, plus I don't know if I am going to like having all my freezer space taken up, but at least I know the little feller was raised without any chemicals or antibiotics.

Joe, good deal depending on the processing fee!

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1