Buying refurbished iPad for purpose of taking square credit

Author
Vic Cardenas
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 177
2012/03/18 13:23:22 (permalink)

Buying refurbished iPad for purpose of taking square credit

I'm looking into buying a refurbished iPad to keep on my truck, just for square. I'm looking at 2 models and looking for advice. I've never owned an apple product and don't know a whole lot about the differences between ipad 1 and 2. I'm looking at 2 models basically: Refubished ipad 1 16GB wifi and refub'd ipad 2 16gb wifi. I'm mainly looking into these just to save some money, thus the refub'd. I figure they still have a 1 year warranty. Rebuild by Apple, not some other company, so they use the same parts. New battery (big plus in my book) and case. And I figure most people who turn these in after they broke them are usually people who just break the screen and buy the newest and most expensive "gotta have it" model.

I really will only be using this on the truck... for Square. I already have a PC and a laptop, so this will be my 3rd computer between me and my wife. Anything else I use it for will just be gravy. I can't justify spending the extra money on a new model or a model with more GB's or an ipad 3. I need to save all the money I can at this point in the build. I'm damn near broke! I figure I can buy a new one later once I get into business and make some money if this one is junk.

My question is: The ipad 1 is $299, the ipad 2 is $349. Should I spend the $50 extra to get the 2? Is there that much improvement in the processor and general design to justify the expense?  Hopefully I can get some advice from someone who's owned both?

20 Replies Related Threads

chefbuba
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2052
    Re:Buying refurbished iPad for purpose of taking square credit 2012/03/18 14:12:18 (permalink)
    Don't have an ipad, but why the extra expense on another gadget?
    Do you have an android phone already? Why not use that?
    If you don't, buy a prepaid one and use that for the truck phone # and processing square.
    Boost mobile is $50 a month, phone around $179....
    I just bought an at&t phone, it was $125, it gets the job done, the service is more but it's the only thing that works where I moved to.
    DWags541
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Buying refurbished iPad for purpose of taking square credit 2012/03/18 15:54:02 (permalink)
    I don't have any experience other than seeing my friends' ipads occasionally. My time on them was very limited.
    I guess if you are buying refurbished from apple, it comes with a similar warranty as the latest model.

I am considering the same thing as you, a tablet based POS.

So being that I don't know how the ipad will work yet, what I would do/will do, is look at the kinds of software that might help you keep track of sales. If you are wanting a tablet just for Square, and not even for other computer functions, then Bubba might be right in suggesting a smart phone. To me, the smaller screen of a smart phone will not be ideal for using as a "register" or way to store orders and refer back to them in a POS style format. Ideally I envision being able to look back at sales history and easily transfer info to home cpu if necessary.
    So, if the tablet is what I want, I will see if there are more competitively priced tablets (non-apples) that can run the same/similar/better software app. Perhaps a non-apple app can "Talk" better with my home PC with respect to sales data.

Right now, I am equipped to take cards on the road with a CC terminal that is wirelessly connected. This won't accomplish the things that a portable computer (tablet) will, but it is as straightforward as a terminal, just wireless. Square seems like a good option for someone not currently taking CC, especially if you have a smart phone. What I don't like about the smart phone option of taking CCs is what happens when you need someone working in place of you? An employee or friend? They need to take your phone. Also, no receipts. At least conventional ones. At my downtown location, I'd say about 20% of people using CC want receipts. Telling them "I'll email it to you" might be a little disconcerting. Before Square came out, some retail mobile vendors I know were trying to use Paypal to "take cards". But I would assume some customers would be relatively hesitant to this unconventional format. Square seems more "legit" but still has some limitations in my mind.
    Ideally, I would like a legit cash box and small receipt printer, much like I have for my fixed cart location, attached to a tablet with wifi and 3g/4g capabilities. This way, I can have the functionality of a computer system, but the portability of a tablet. I like the idea of being able to run music through my "cash register". I also like the idea of creating shopping lists or other to-do lists on my tablet in between orders or after closing. I want to be able to analyze sales trends based on historical data.
    Obviously by getting into any smart phone/tablet technology, you are gonna be susceptible to the feeling of needing to upgrade every year or two. But I feel like with this kind of business integration in a personal device, you can make it pay for itself.
    Mkinzi94
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 34
    Re:Buying refurbished iPad for purpose of taking square credit 2012/03/18 17:50:57 (permalink)
    There are reasons to consider an iPad2 over an iPad1.  Apple did make several significant improvements - and I'd recommend googling "ipad1 vs ipad2" to do your homework on that.

I have an iPhone and use Square.  (This is currently on a hot dog cart)  People thinks it's cool; they tell their friends in the office, "Hey the hot dog guy takes cards!"; yes you can email receipts, but you can also text them which is nearly instant - also there is a lot of stuff you can add to the receipt like location map, picture, etc... Real feel good, "got you covered", kinda stuff.

If you have a phone already, you may not like having to get extra service - but if you're serviced by free wifi, then you're good to go.
    (One consideration is, are you willing to hand it over for a signature - although under $25 does not require it...)

An iPad has loads of other tools and apps available that will make it FAR more than a credit card machine.  Music from your truck? Pictures of your dishes? Facebook, Twitter, etc...  PLUS, you will always be able to check out roadfood.com!!
    post edited by Mkinzi94 - 2012/03/18 18:26:14
    mofood
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 117
    Re:Buying refurbished iPad for purpose of taking square credit 2012/03/18 19:33:16 (permalink)
    I'm glad you posted this Vic. I have been planning on an IPad for a pos device as well. I own an iPad 2 that will serve the truck. My phone will act as the wifi device. I have yet to decide on an app, but sounds like Square is a great option.

The iPad....the device that nobody needs, but everybody should have.

Good thread!
    Vic Cardenas
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Buying refurbished iPad for purpose of taking square credit 2012/03/18 19:51:36 (permalink)
    chefbuba

Don't have an ipad, but why the extra expense on another gadget?
    Do you have an android phone already? Why not use that?
    If you don't, buy a prepaid one and use that for the truck phone # and processing square.
    Boost mobile is $50 a month, phone around $179....
    I just bought an at&t phone, it was $125, it gets the job done, the service is more but it's the only thing that works where I moved to.

No, I don't have an android phone already or associated expensive data plan from verizon (crooks).
    I was attracted to the tablet style checkout system. And there's a new "cash register" app for the ipad that seems pretty cool. ....
    But, I hadn't thought of getting a "burner" and using that for the business. That's a thought. Thanks!!! I'll have to check out rates for burners and see if that ends up being significantly cheaper.  

Vic Cardenas
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Buying refurbished iPad for purpose of taking square credit 2012/03/18 19:57:29 (permalink)

Mkinzi94

(One consideration is, are you willing to hand it over for a signature - although under $25 does not require it...)

That's another consideration. I was planning on buying one of those cases with a hand strap. That way there's less risk of it taking a dump out the window. I figure handing someone your phone over and over again out the window is pretty risky for that.  At least with an ipad with a hand strap case, you can just hold it up to the window and not through it (I have small windows) and let them sign it with much less risk. 
    wandering_joe
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 8
    Re:Buying refurbished iPad for purpose of taking square credit 2012/03/18 21:47:38 (permalink)
    Square now has free POS software available only for IPad. Waiting a little while to make sure they have worked out most of the bugs but I am fairly confident they will do so quickly.
    Ralph Melton
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 902
    Re:Buying refurbished iPad for purpose of taking square credit 2012/03/18 22:55:09 (permalink)
    For your purposes of Square, I think that an iPad 1 will be just as good as an iPad 2 for your needs. (I've owned both the iPad 1 and the iPad 2.) I do trust Apple with refurb products.

However, I noticed that both the iPads you were considering were WiFi only.  Unless you're confident that you can provide WiFi from your laptop, I'd seriously consider the iPad with 3G connectivity. Being able to connect to the Internet from anywhere would make a big difference - particularly for using Square.
    Vic Cardenas
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Buying refurbished iPad for purpose of taking square credit 2012/04/28 22:00:27 (permalink)
    So, I got my iPad. I bought a factory refub'd from apple. 16gb wifi ipad 2 for $350. I gotta say I'm very impressed. It's a very cool little gadget. I wouldn't say it could replace my PC or laptop by any means but it's still a cool little thing to have. I've got my square and downloaded the square register app. Which is much better than the regular square app. I also got a mobile hotspot from netzero. So, I can offer free wifi off the truck for customers. I just did the free plan for now until I start the business and then I'll upgrade.
    THE WILD DOG
    • Total Posts : 1465
    Re:Buying refurbished iPad for purpose of taking square credit 2012/04/28 22:11:26 (permalink)
    @ VIC  I hope you got the iPad 2 with 3G, the wifi will hold you up if you don't have a solid connection, and you won't be able to get a solid connection unless you are in range for a FREE WIFI HOT SPOT, OR if someone in the area will let you piggyback off their internet which requires them to give you a password.

I'm an Apple geek ( or sheep as the call us )  The iPad 1 with wifi & 3G  is all you need. Square register has been out for about 4-6 months now and you can use it to track all of your sales, even cash sales. You can buy an aftermarket wireless printer as well. I use my iphone and my ipad in the trailer and plan on using one in the food truck as well with the POS system ( runs about $300 ) + the price of an ipad. 

For what you are using it for, the technology in the 1 is fine, the OS is the same in all the devices, just remember before running any updates on your ipad to turn off your virus software ( if using a windows based computer )

If you plan to purchase a data plan, the cost is only $14 & $25 a month, you'll only need the $14 plan

Vic Cardenas
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Buying refurbished iPad for purpose of taking square credit 2012/04/28 22:41:58 (permalink)
    You didn't read the last post. I have a mobile hotspot.
    DWags541
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Buying refurbished iPad for purpose of taking square credit 2012/04/29 02:28:55 (permalink)
    THE WILD DOG

@ VIC  I hope you got the iPad 2 with 3G, the wifi will hold you up if you don't have a solid connection, and you won't be able to get a solid connection unless you are in range for a FREE WIFI HOT SPOT, OR if someone in the area will let you piggyback off their internet which requires them to give you a password.

I'm an Apple geek ( or sheep as the call us )  The iPad 1 with wifi & 3G  is all you need. Square register has been out for about 4-6 months now and you can use it to track all of your sales, even cash sales. You can buy an aftermarket wireless printer as well. I use my iphone and my ipad in the trailer and plan on using one in the food truck as well with the POS system ( runs about $300 ) + the price of an ipad. 

For what you are using it for, the technology in the 1 is fine, the OS is the same in all the devices, just remember before running any updates on your ipad to turn off your virus software ( if using a windows based computer )

If you plan to purchase a data plan, the cost is only $14 & $25 a month, you'll only need the $14 plan

Hey Wild Dog,
    What is $300? The POS system? Square Register? I was wondering if Square Register costs or if it is a free app. Maybe you are referring to another POS system, or the printer hardware. Please elaborate.

Dave
    THE WILD DOG
    • Total Posts : 1465
    Re:Buying refurbished iPad for purpose of taking square credit 2012/04/29 09:55:23 (permalink)
    the app is free, the printer & the register drawer ranges from $250-$300 on ebay.

@ vic  I must have missed that hot spot part LOL
    Vic Cardenas
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Buying refurbished iPad for purpose of taking square credit 2012/04/29 15:06:49 (permalink)
    Yes, they sell stands and drawers that cost as much as the ipad. I'm just using a cheap locking cash box with compartments. I bought an ipad case with finger rings and a leg for $25 so my ipad doesn't take a dump out the window.

@Wild Dog: It's all good.
    post edited by Vic Cardenas - 2012/04/29 15:07:55
    DWags541
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Buying refurbished iPad for purpose of taking square credit 2012/05/02 00:34:35 (permalink)
    Hey Vic,
    Did you do any investigating on how well a wireless router like Clearwire works in a mobile scenario? I was curious if there would be any reduction in signal quality or consistency as a truck worked in different parts of the city and grew further/closer to signal towers. If you would have to reset the modem as you changed proximity to another tower.

Vic Cardenas
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Buying refurbished iPad for purpose of taking square credit 2012/05/02 01:07:54 (permalink)
    Good question! I haven't for the most part. I do know that clear is pretty well established around here and I'm really only focusing on SLC and not driving all over bf'n Utah. Just to clarify, I have a netzero hotspot which uses clears towers. Clear seems to have a pretty reliable signal near here (I also have a clear home dsl). I'm not too worried about it but I'll let you know how well it works.
    DWags541
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Buying refurbished iPad for purpose of taking square credit 2012/05/02 03:30:59 (permalink)
    Yea, I am still talking about within the city. Looking at our local tower map, you can be in different parts of my small city 150k population, and be connected to different towers. So, I was wondering if I am linked to one, as I would be at home or office, and then my position moves within better range of another, and poor range of the original, I wonder if I have to do a modem reset to get optimum service.

Anyway, I wanted to post this gem for ya I just found: http://www.kickstarter.co...-ipad-do-more?ref=city
    There's also a kickstarter for a cool "ear" you slap on the corner of your ipad to amplify the sound from the rear facing speaker towards the viewer. Pretty cool. I forgot the name of it tho.

Lemmie know how you like your ipad. I am likely gonna buy one, just feel guilty about buying it before so much work on the truck has to be done. I feel like it should be a reward for when I am at least at mid-point.

DWags541
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Buying refurbished iPad for purpose of taking square credit 2012/05/02 03:32:10 (permalink)
    Vic Cardenas
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Buying refurbished iPad for purpose of taking square credit 2012/05/02 11:30:55 (permalink)
    My plan was just to switch on the hotspot once while I'm at the commissary to give a quick twitter/facebook location update for my fans. Switch it off to conserve battery power (these things only have about 6 hours of life to them and I don't want to be charging it all the time on the truck). Switch it back on when I get to my location to use the credit. So, I'll automatically be resetting it anyway. You should call clear to see if it switches towers automatically if it's really important to keep it on all the time while you're driving.
    DWags541
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Buying refurbished iPad for purpose of taking square credit 2012/05/03 03:21:22 (permalink)
    Vic Cardenas You should call clear to see if it switches towers automatically if it's really important to keep it on all the time while you're driving.

Yea, I guess its probably not unless I rigged up some kind of geo-locator transmitting to a website. Twitter updates probably just fine. :)
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1