COMMUNIST CHICKEN AND OTHER MISHAPS

Author
californyguy
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 513
2010/11/24 00:53:17 (permalink)

COMMUNIST CHICKEN AND OTHER MISHAPS

how about some funny cooking mishap stories from Thanksgiving and other times?
 I think my best is the time my grandmother made a special chicken dish. My saintly  ( she really was , never heard a harsh word form her)  Grandma was a really good cook , and was not afraid to try new things. I cannot remember the new ,intricate  exotic dish she tried out on the family one Sunday,but do remember it to be almost inedible ..wwhen she found out the Grandpa has purchased what was labled ` stewing chicken' she became as angry as I have ever seen her and yelled at Grandpa saying `how could you , you you communist you" ..it was the very worst word she could think of and once it came out we all laughed( grandma too)    

6 Replies Related Threads

doggydaddy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1847
    Re:COMMUNIST CHICKEN AND OTHER MISHAPS 2010/11/24 04:00:33 (permalink)
    While in the Navy and during a very large storm, we got hit by a wave that shook everything. The turkey literally raised itself off the counter and I found myself chasing it down the passageway to catch that sucker.

mark
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    Re:COMMUNIST CHICKEN AND OTHER MISHAPS 2010/11/24 09:26:40 (permalink)
    I did something that probably everyone might have done the first time they cooked a turkey, I forgot to take out the little plastic bag of giblets that they store in the cavity. That was 40 years ago, I make a darn good turkey ever since.
    MellowRoast
    • Total Posts : 2009
    Re:COMMUNIST CHICKEN AND OTHER MISHAPS 2010/11/24 12:30:03 (permalink)
    That's a great story.  I think Communist Chicken would be a great name for a rock band. 

I couldn't have been more than 6 or 7 years old when I decided to help mom finish preparing several dozen deviled eggs she had placed in the fridge for the gathering holiday guests.  You see, they were not yet dusted with that bright red powder that makes them so colorful and appetizing.  So, not realizing that I should reach for a bottle labeled paprika, I grabbed the one labeled cinnamon.   Not one guest questioned or commented on the taste, but surprised and quizzical double-takes around the table signaled something was amiss.
    post edited by MellowRoast - 2010/11/25 04:17:37
    mamaduck43
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 189
    Re:COMMUNIST CHICKEN AND OTHER MISHAPS 2010/11/25 02:30:43 (permalink)
    We were fortunate enough to be stationed in the UK, courtesy of the USAF...  We lived in a modern 4 bedroom row house in Suffolk County and had a typical British cookstove... Three burners graced the top of the stove and I do believe that the whole thing was probably half the width of a normal (to me) US electric range...  I determined that the oven would hold an 18 pound turkey at the biggest...  My 'then' husband went to the commissary and came home with an $18 turkey....  I don't remember how big that sucker was (probably about 25 lbs or so), but I had to dismember it and covered the torso of the bird with the legs and wings in order to squeeze it into the oven...  It was quite tasty!!!
    bartl
    • Total Posts : 1309
    Re:COMMUNIST CHICKEN AND OTHER MISHAPS 2010/11/30 23:14:21 (permalink)
    A family member, about 25 years ago, used a rubber spatula to stir the gravy. Needless to say, the gravy tasted like rubber. To this day, she will not even use those heat-proof silicone spatulas on anything hot, for fear of a repetition.

Bart
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    Re:COMMUNIST CHICKEN AND OTHER MISHAPS 2010/12/01 10:14:26 (permalink)
    kland01s

I did something that probably everyone might have done the first time they cooked a turkey, I forgot to take out the little plastic bag of giblets that they store in the cavity. That was 40 years ago, I make a darn good turkey ever since.

This has never happened to me because it happened to my aunt, and anytime someone mentions cooking a turkey the story invariably comes up!

MellowRoast, if you had a Food Network show and sprinkled deviled eggs with cinnamon, everyone would be calling you a genius.

Brad
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1