CRAB CAKES

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
ocdreamr
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1110
RE: CRAB CAKES 2004/12/22 14:30:10 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty246

Me again.... I had my daughter look through my recipes at home and she found one that came from this site. The "binder" is cracker crumbs. Is that OCDREMER? If I use crumbs do I smash h-ll out of them myself or could I use cracker meal, OR is that something completely different.

SOUNDS LIKE IT COULD BE MINE. IT WILL SPECIFY 6 SALTINES CRUSHED FINE. I PUT THEM IN A SANDWHICH BAG & REALLY CRUSH THEM UP, NOT QUITE AS FINE AS PURCHASED CRACKER MEAL BUT NOTHING OF ANY SIZE TO IT.
Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2414
RE: CRAB CAKES 2004/12/22 15:16:33 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by chezkatie

quote:

I just phoned our only seafood market and they just received some "fresh" lump crab meat.......from VENEZULA!!! She assures me this will work for my crab cakes. What do you think?

Call them back and ask if it is pasteurized. If it is, you do not want it! A lot of our stores advertise FRESH crab and when you go to the store, it is labeled pasteurized which is not the same thing as FRESH

They have both!
Rusty246
RE: CRAB CAKES 2004/12/22 15:27:07 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ocdreamr

quote:

Me again.... I had my daughter look through my recipes at home and she found one that came from this site. The "binder" is cracker crumbs. Is that OCDREMER? If I use crumbs do I smash h-ll out of them myself or could I use cracker meal, OR is that something completely different.

SOUNDS LIKE IT COULD BE MINE. IT WILL SPECIFY 6 SALTINES CRUSHED FINE. I PUT THEM IN A SANDWHICH BAG & REALLY CRUSH THEM UP, NOT QUITE AS FINE AS PURCHASED CRACKER MEAL BUT NOTHING OF ANY SIZE TO IT.

They have both pasturized and not. Now, last question, OCdreamer, how many does this yeild when you make them. That'll give an idea about what size they should be. Thanks everyone!
ocdreamr
RE: CRAB CAKES 2004/12/22 17:16:59 (permalink)
depending on the size I make 6 to 8 per pound, if I make 8 I figure 2 per serving definetly, at 6 some may take only 1.
CarolinaBill
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 207
RE: CRAB CAKES 2004/12/29 09:57:59 (permalink)
A few years ago, I had to sit for a professional certification in Baltimore at the Doubletree Hotel near Johns Hopkins. Their restaurant (The Polo, I believe) claimed to have been voted "Best Crabcake in Baltimore" for several years running. So after finishing the exam (quite unsuccessfully, I might ad), three of us decided to have The Best Crabcake in Baltimore, along with unspecificied number of vodka and tonics. Well, the crabcake was awfully good. But was consumed in about 3 bites. For just $26.95, I believe. But the atmosphere was great and the service was impeccable. With drinks and tip, the bill didn't quite top $100......
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15321
RE: CRAB CAKES 2004/12/29 10:14:54 (permalink)
I think that the double order of G & M's 8 oz Crabcakes are the perfect "One Person Serving" size. At the Crabfest last Spring the lady next to me had the Oysters stuffed with the crabmeat stuffing. If I remember correctly there were 6 Oysters on that plate, but the scoop of Stuffing was less than half the size of a regular Crabcake. It took longer to eat because you have to lick the inside of the Oyster half-shell to get the last tidbits out of there !!!!!
Rusty246
RE: CRAB CAKES 2005/01/03 10:14:14 (permalink)
Made Mom the crab cakes from ocdreamrs recipe for Christmas. I asked her to give me her HONEST opinion after trying them, she said they were WONDERFUL!!!!! She only ate one but said she wished she would have thawed out another. I seriously doubt she has any left. I made 6 nice size cakes(hoping for a 7th for me!)and can't wait to make up a batch for myself. Thanks a bunch!!!!
ocdreamr
RE: CRAB CAKES 2005/01/03 11:44:08 (permalink)
Rusty,

I've never known that recipe to fail. It came from a junior league book & was originally attributed to our very own Senator Milkulski, but I have heard her say that she uses her mother's & it calls for bread!! So I don't know who it originally came from but it is a good cake.

OCDreamr
Rusty246
RE: CRAB CAKES 2005/01/03 11:49:32 (permalink)
quote:

Rusty,

I've never known that recipe to fail. It came from a junior league book & was originally attributed to our very own Senator Milkulski, but I have heard her say that she uses her mother's & it calls for bread!! So I don't know who it originally came from but it is a good cake.

OCDreamr

I have to admit that I was skeptical about using only 6 saltines, but it was perfect IMO and so easy! I was a little shy in the parsley department but all was well.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4609
RE: CRAB CAKES 2005/01/03 11:55:17 (permalink)
I just want to check to make sure that I have this now strongly endorsed recipe

Is this the one?
quote:

Rusty,
Here is the recipe I use. It makes truely wonder cakes. Before I found this recipe my crab cakes were a thing of shame!But now they disappear faster than I can put them on a plate.

Crab Cakes
1 egg beaten 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup mayo 1/2 tsp grnd blk pepper
1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce 1/2 tsp dry mustard
1 TBSP parsely flakes 6 finely crumbled saltine crackers
1Tsp Old Bay Seasoning
1 pound crabmeat (backfin preferred)

Pick through crab meat to remove any shell, mix igrediants lightly using hands. (I mix everthing but the crab & crumbs together first to make sure it's well blended) Make into cakes about 2 - 3 inches accross, don't make them too big, they will be harder to handle & don't compress too tightly. Now is the most important step, put the uncooked plastic wrapped cakes on a plate in the fridge for several hours, the chilling will help to hold them together. Brown cakes in fry pan about 4 minutes per side. What you fry them in is your choice. One school uses butter and the other school uses crisco (I use butter flavored crisco!)

'course, if this is it, I'll have to figure out a substitute for the mayo....prolly more egg and cracker crumbs, maybe a little cream cheese or boursin
chezkatie
  • Total Posts : 1329
RE: CRAB CAKES 2005/01/03 12:25:42 (permalink)
Speaking of crabcakes, our family and guests enjoyed G & M's crabcakes yesterday and they were excellent, as usual. Several also had the cream of crab soup which they loved. Everyone ordered the 2 crabcake dinner; everyone brought one home! Guess what we are having for dinner tonight?
ocdreamr
RE: CRAB CAKES 2005/01/03 13:40:01 (permalink)
TJ

That's it. As for the mayo, just don't use no fat type mayo. It has a tendency to break down too much & the cakes can fall apart.

TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4609
RE: CRAB CAKES 2005/01/03 13:55:50 (permalink)
Thanks OCD.

I can't use mayo of any type - I despise mayo. :-) So I'll need to try a different binding agent :-)
Hillbilly
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 992
RE: CRAB CAKES 2005/01/11 21:11:49 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by chezkatie

Speaking of crabcakes, our family and guests enjoyed G & M's crabcakes yesterday and they were excellent, as usual. Several also had the cream of crab soup which they loved. Everyone ordered the 2 crabcake dinner; everyone brought one home! Guess what we are having for dinner tonight?

I had the 24 pack of 4 oz cakes shipped in for a gathering at my new digs in North Carolina last week end, and they were just about as good as they are at G&M in Linthicum. Nothing but raves from my crowd.
signman
  • Total Posts : 1744
RE: CRAB CAKES 2005/01/11 22:29:18 (permalink)
Hillbilly, Where are your new digs.
Hillbilly
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 992
RE: CRAB CAKES 2005/01/12 00:01:32 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by signman

Hillbilly, Where are your new digs.

Back in livermush and moonshine country where I grew up and lived for more than 45 years before I became a vagabond in 1987--North Wilkesboro--50 miles west of Winston-Salem and 30 miles east of Boone. Hence my richly deserved username. It is just a home base for the time being, and we plan to continue travelling at least 6 months out of the year.
SouthHillbilly
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 295
RE: CRAB CAKES 2005/01/16 13:21:24 (permalink)
Has anyone ever tried the crab cakes at Belford's in Savannah, GA. They were the best I ever had, although, I've never spent any time in Maryland.
BTW: Belford's was a top 10 place all around.
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: CRAB CAKES 2005/02/23 15:18:02 (permalink)
We ate at Blanford's last Friday night - we had hoped to eat at Lady and Sons but the wait was an hour-and-half. (We tried to bluff our way in, made it all the way up to the third floor bar before we were evicted. Actually, when we got to the hostess desk at the bar level we were invited to wait and drink at the bar 'till our name was called -we declined, having already had a couple of Martinis at our motel. )

I had the crabcake and it was very very good - better than some I've had around the Chesapeake, but not in the same league with the Angler (burned down and unlikely to reopen) or G&M. Our waiter at Blanford's claimed the crabmeat was from the Chesapeake, but we doubted that; it lacked any real lumps and was almost entirely made up up fine pieces of crabmeat. Never the less it was very good, it had the very minimum of binder and was only mildly flavored with mustard and worstershire, a good clean crab flavor came thru. We also had a nice crab bisque. a well made salad, and a hefty piece of bread pudding for dessert.

We'd happily go back to Blanford's again, it's a bit pricey (but everything is in the Savannah historic district), the service was good, the ambience was comfortable and the food was well cooked.

Cheers, John
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
RE: CRAB CAKES 2005/02/23 15:33:28 (permalink)
I guess that was Belford's, not Blanford's...

cheers, John
SouthHillbilly
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 295
RE: CRAB CAKES 2005/03/06 00:36:32 (permalink)
Yea, Belfords is a bit pricey, but when we were there we had impecable service, exceptional food and the owner, Belford, stopped by to talk about the food, which for me, being a cook, is always a highlight in any restaurant with good food.
Glad ya liked it Mr. John.
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
RE: CRAB CAKES 2005/03/06 12:42:30 (permalink)
When we visited Savannah last week we stayed at a motel out off I-95 in Pooler (exit 102?). We have been stopping for a BBQ sandwich at Don's in Pooler for several years - it is very good BBQ. What we discovered this year is that Pooler must have at least 20 BBQ joints - next trip down that way we intend to look into some of them. We got a lot of info on the local BBQ scene from a group we came across who were smoking 300 Boston butts in four very large portable smokers for a local fundraising event. They told us that a place called LIPS was, in their opinion, the best in town.

So we found LIPS and learned that the name is short for "Little Italy Pizza and Subs" - that gave us some reason for pause but we read on and the sign also listed BBQ . It turns out the Italian restaurant and the BBQ share the same space and, I guess, are under the same management. Unfortunately we did not get an opportunity to try the place, but we intend to next time we are headed down I-95. I hope some other intreped Roadfooders passing that way will give the BBQ scene in Pooler a look and report back to us - the place looks to us like a real possibility for some very good competitive BBQ joints.

Cheers, John
signman
  • Total Posts : 1744
RE: CRAB CAKES 2005/03/08 12:32:48 (permalink)
John, I hope you had a safe trip home, but how did we get to talking barbeque in a crabcake thread?
rbpalmer
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 469
RE: CRAB CAKES 2005/03/18 08:29:10 (permalink)
Here's a very interesting article I found on the history and preparation of crabcakes, along with a listing of the reviewer's favorite Washington, DC crabcake purveyors.
http://www.washingtonian.com/dining/bestof/crabcakes.html
meowzart
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 773
RE: CRAB CAKES 2005/03/18 09:28:13 (permalink)
Ya know RB--after reading that article, it made me wonder why C. F. Folks isn't in the Roadfood directory. Next time the Sterns are in town, we should make sure they are directed there.

I'd take one of their crabcakes over any of those others on the list anyday. And you can't beat their price.

However, G&M's are still currently my favorite crabcakes.
chezkatie
  • Total Posts : 1329
RE: CRAB CAKES 2005/03/18 16:47:24 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by meowzart

Ya know RB--after reading that article, it made me wonder why C. F. Folks isn't in the Roadfood directory. Next time the Sterns are in town, we should make sure they are directed there.

I'd take one of their crabcakes over any of those others on the list anyday. And you can't beat their price.

However, G&M's are still currently my favorite crabcakes.

My favorite crabcakes are

1. Faidley's (but think that they are over-priced for something that you have to stand at a counter and eat)

2. The ones I make at home

3. The one's at Prime Rib (upscale but wonderful)

4. G and M..............These are great crabcakes and a real bargain!

So for eating in comfort and enjoying the company, I guess you all should make reservations at my place. (the price cannot be beat!)
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1