Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

CRAB CAKES

Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 85
sizz

• Total Posts: 1682
CRAB CAKES Tue, 08/3/04 9:52 AM (permalink)
CRAB CAKES ........... Faidley's
I'm on my way driving through Baltimore in about three weeks from now and would not dream of not stopping for "crab cakes." I hear that Faidley's in the Lexington Market is the best but I also hear that the Lexington Market and neighborhood is not a safe place for a couple of "old timers" to be. Any of you road warriors have trouble navigating the troubled waters of the Lexington Market??? Will it be safe for a couple of senior citizens?

seafarer john

RE: CRAB CAKES Tue, 08/3/04 10:26 AM (permalink)
    Look out for those railroad trains they run down the middle of the streets around the Market. The locals call them trolleys, but dont be fooled , they are full fledged railroad trains, and they own the streets! Otherwise the area seemed safe enough to these retired oldtimers - the market is , I believe, only open in daylight hours.

mek

• Total Posts: 123
      RE: CRAB CAKES Tue, 08/3/04 11:33 AM (permalink)
      As a 45 year old native of Baltimore, I would advise you to go there only in the daytime. Yes, we do now have the light rail running up and down Howard St.
      You could also avoid any potential problems by going to someplace else that serves good crabcakes, such as Duda's, on the corner of Thames and Bond Sts. in Fell's Point(just East of the Inner Harbor and Little Italy).

signman

• Total Posts: 1743
        RE: CRAB CAKES Wed, 08/4/04 7:32 AM (permalink)
        Faidley's and Lexington Market are quite an experience. Yes the street scene around the market is less than pristine, but it is one busy place and perfectly safe. The Market is a day time destination. There is on street parking at meters on Paca Street. There is a surface parking lot immediately adjacent -- entrance from Eutaw St. and there is a large garage, enter from Paca. Faidley's has their own entrance on Paca, but is also accessible from the main market area.

Their crabcakes, at $12.95 each (get them with crackers) are among the best. It's stand-up eating only. There's a full raw bar as well, with cold beer and shucked to order oysters. But while you are there, I also recommend the shrimp salad sandwich at Mary Mervis Delicatessen. Take a cooler and take some with you. Try some of Berger's famous chocolate top cookies too. In fact walk all over the market. It's all good.

Yes the light rail trains are on Howard Street, but the Market is between Eutaw and Paca streets and north of Fayette St.

You might also want to consider G&M restaurant in Linthicum, Md, near BWI Airport, site of Crabstock earlier this year, chosen after exhaustive research. It's easy off and on from I-95 or 695 south of the city.

fbrink

• Total Posts: 15
          RE: CRAB CAKES Sun, 08/29/04 7:59 PM (permalink)
          Faidley's and G&M's are outstanding. Lexington Market is very safe during weekday lunch hours when it's filled with businessmen from downtown getting lunch. They have been trying to revitalize that whole area the last few years and it has brought increased security patrols.

kozel

• Total Posts: 811
            RE: CRAB CAKES Fri, 09/17/04 6:23 PM (permalink)
            We were in Baltimore during this past summer. We're from Long Island but asked a local to suggest a place for dinner. We didn't specify crabcakes but were sent to G&M on a friday evening. For crabcakes the menu offered (among other items) a single crabcake or a double crabcake dinner. Now I'm a big guy and I was thinking three would be no problem (like I get in NY). They're not the size we get here and they're full of big chunks of meat. Really good, BTW ....

http://www.gandmcrabcakes.com/

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15076
              • Roadfood Insider
              RE: CRAB CAKES Fri, 09/17/04 6:58 PM (permalink)
              Next Thursday, Sept 23rd, I am taking my wife to G&M to introduce her to the Crabcakes we enjoyed so much last April when the group met there. The lady sitting beside me at the "MEET N EAT" had the oysters stuffed with crab that day, using six half-shells each with a moderate scoop of the same stuffing that made up the crabcakes sitting on top of a fresh oyster. They looked great and tasted greater.
              Anyone in the area is more than welcome to join Janet, Duff, and I for some good seafood that evening. We will be attending a military reunion in Wilmington DE that weekend then beginning our journey down the coast to Savannah, Storm damage and aftermath permitting.

chezkatie

• Total Posts: 1329
                RE: CRAB CAKES Fri, 09/17/04 7:57 PM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Next Thursday, Sept 23rd, I am taking my wife to G&M to introduce her to the Crabcakes we enjoyed so much last April when the group met there. The lady sitting beside me at the "MEET N EAT" had the oysters stuffed with crab that day, using six half-shells each with a moderate scoop of the same stuffing that made up the crabcakes sitting on top of a fresh oyster. They looked great and tasted greater.
                Anyone in the area is more than welcome to join Janet, Duff, and I for some good seafood that evening. We will be attending a military reunion in Wilmington DE that weekend then beginning our journey down the coast to Savannah, Storm damage and aftermath permitting.

If Jeannie allows me to drive to Florida to meet the insurance adjuster for the damage to my condo, I will be in Florida. However if it looks like my condo is going to get hit for the THIRD time this season, I would love to join you..........just gotta keep tuned to the weather channel. Will let you know!

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                  RE: CRAB CAKES Fri, 09/17/04 9:30 PM (permalink)
                  We will be leaving here Wed. Morning. I'll be checking the boards and email til then..and will send along my cell number to you.

signman

RE: CRAB CAKES Fri, 09/17/04 10:30 PM (permalink)
                    Al, my calendar looks open on the 23rd. Don'tcha wanna try some steamed crabs?

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                      RE: CRAB CAKES Fri, 09/17/04 11:11 PM (permalink)
                      Howard,
                      I hate messing with the crabs 'en shell', Plus I promised Jan some of the Crabcakes that were so good last Spring. Come on over, She woulds love to meet you, and ChezKatie too. This time McDuff rides with us for sure. Anyone else in the area. We'll set the dinner time over the weekend, but it won't be too late I promise!
                      For any of you vets out there, Our reunion is for the ASA field station I was asssigned to from 61-63. It should be a good session. I have been a member of the association for years, but this will be the first annual reunion session I have been able to attend.

ocdreamr

• Total Posts: 1109
                        RE: CRAB CAKES Sat, 09/18/04 11:50 PM (permalink)
                        Al,
                        Definitely let me know a time for dinner, would love to meet the Missus & MacDuff, I'll be there with bells on!!

Ocdreamr

Hillbilly

• Total Posts: 992
                          RE: CRAB CAKES Mon, 10/11/04 7:49 AM (permalink)
                          We were in Baltimore Saturday, and after a quick forum search for crabcakes ended up at "G&M". The reason we appreciate Roadfood so much was again made abundantly clear. Those cakes were fabulous! thanks to all of you boys and girls who directed us to this place.

i95

• Total Posts: 2500
                            RE: CRAB CAKES Mon, 10/11/04 8:05 AM (permalink)

signman

RE: CRAB CAKES Mon, 10/11/04 8:38 AM (permalink)
                              Hillbilly, you should have let the official Baltimore welcoming committee know you were coming.

orzobino

• Total Posts: 49
                                RE: CRAB CAKES Mon, 10/11/04 8:53 AM (permalink)
                                what is the G&M? a restaurant?

i95

RE: CRAB CAKES Mon, 10/11/04 9:22 AM (permalink)
                                  quote:
                                  Originally posted by orzobino

what is the G&M? a restaurant?

http://www.gandmcrabcakes.com/

Hillbilly

RE: CRAB CAKES Mon, 10/11/04 9:26 AM (permalink)
                                    quote:
                                    Originally posted by signman

Hillbilly, you should have let the official Baltimore welcoming committee know you were coming.

It was spur of the moment. We were just down to "Mini of Towson" to pick up a special order hot rod and we decided to eat before we headed back out.

But I could remember the postings about the foodie's gathereing there in the spring and could picture all of you guys putting down those cakes.

And orzobino, G&M is indeed a restaurant. Check http://www.gandmcrabcakes.com along with various Roadfood formums (or is that fora) about crabcakes.

i95

RE: CRAB CAKES Mon, 10/11/04 9:34 AM (permalink)
                                      Or, you could always go to: http://www.gandmcrabcakes.com/

Hillbilly

RE: CRAB CAKES Mon, 10/11/04 10:50 AM (permalink)
                                        quote:
                                        Originally posted by i95

I didn't intend to walk all over your post. Yours apparently came through while I was composing mine, and I had already hit "send" before I saw that you had already answered the question. Sorry.

i95

RE: CRAB CAKES Mon, 10/11/04 11:02 AM (permalink)
                                          quote:
                                          Originally posted by Hillbilly

quote:
                                          Originally posted by i95

I didn't intend to walk all over your post. Yours apparently came through while I was composing mine, and I had already hit "send" before I saw that you had already answered the question. Sorry.

Oh, Hillbilly, I was just joking. You can never have too many correct answers. BTW, have you ever heard of the web site http://www.gandmcrabcakes.com/

seafarer john

RE: CRAB CAKES Mon, 10/11/04 12:57 PM (permalink)
                                            i-95: Thanks for the invitation to "CRABCAKEFEST 2005" and your generous offer to pick up the tab for all of us. Also, I'm pleased to learn you are going to be the organizer this time around. That guy who did it last Spring not only dragged us to the really great G&M, but he also made sure we all found the place and had a wonderful time while we were there. I ,mean, who needs that kind of uncaring incompetence? But, you might want to talk to him to find out all the things not to do...

Slightly more seriously: Thanks for raising the topic - there's no time like the present for you folks in the Baltimore area to start planning
                                            for a great gettogether next Spring. Ms Seafarer and I will be proud to have our names at the top of the list. We enjoyed one of the top crabcakes of all time last year, but would it be a possibility to grace some other joint with our presence next time around?

Cheers, John

i95

RE: CRAB CAKES Mon, 10/11/04 1:12 PM (permalink)
                                              I can hardly wait until RoadFood.com's creators install the long-awaited "smell-a-vision" component of this site so that I can more adequately smell the sarcasm of that last post.

seafarer john

RE: CRAB CAKES Mon, 10/11/04 1:22 PM (permalink)
                                                I think you are familiar with the odor of brimstone and cordite and rotting flesh...

Cheers, John

CheeseWit

• Total Posts: 1393
                                                  • Roadfood Insider
                                                  RE: CRAB CAKES Mon, 10/11/04 1:49 PM (permalink)
                                                  I just wanted to be clear about one thing: When the plans were being made for Crabstock 1 (my idea for the name btw), I voted against G&M before I voted for G&M.

i95

RE: CRAB CAKES Mon, 10/11/04 2:59 PM (permalink)
                                                    quote:
                                                    Originally posted by CheeseWit

I just wanted to be clear about one thing: When the plans were being made for Crabstock 1 (my idea for the name btw), I voted against G&M before I voted for G&M.

Good point, CW. In terms of disclosure, I should also let you know that I am a part-owner of G&M and received $ 84 in dividends last year.

CheeseWit

• Total Posts: 1393
                                                      • Location: West Chester, PA
                                                      • Roadfood Insider
                                                      RE: CRAB CAKES Mon, 10/11/04 3:14 PM (permalink)
                                                      Thank you for the disclosure, I95. I knew that some of the profits were being diverted to an offshore account, I didn't realize that they were sent via I-95.

seafarer john

RE: CRAB CAKES Mon, 10/11/04 5:35 PM (permalink)
                                                        i-95 is not quite an offshore account, it is a space alien account.

Cheers, John

mayor al

• Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                                          • Roadfood Insider
                                                          RE: CRAB CAKES Mon, 10/11/04 8:00 PM (permalink)
                                                          I vote for G&M again. If we're going after Crab Cakes, we might as well recognize the best !!
                                                          Next march/April will be just fine...You guys get it started !

Poverty Pete

• Total Posts: 2266
                                                            • Location: Nashville, TN
                                                            RE: CRAB CAKES Tue, 10/12/04 12:15 AM (permalink)
                                                            March, please..

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 85

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com