CS SM 150 -All positive and negative input neeeded

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
russ2304
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 261
2006/08/18 10:07:35 (permalink)

CS SM 150 -All positive and negative input neeeded

Am contemplating buying one or two of these for proposed Q operation--had demo yesterday 8/17 and was pretty impressed with quality of ribs turned out------how about all other meats such as shoulder,brisket,etc.All input greatly appreciated.

Thanks

42 Replies Related Threads

RibRater
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1862
    RE: CS SM 150 -All positive and negative input neeeded 2006/08/18 10:23:21 (permalink)
    As you may know from another thread, I recently purchased the 008. So far I have smoked ribs, a picnic, and a "london broil" to medium. All very good. I wouldnt rate them excellent but from what I can see that is only from my lack of knowledge of how to best get the results I'm looking for. I anticipate excellent soon.

When my last young one gets off to college (2 years... big smile), I plan to get a larger unit for a mobile bbq shop.

I still use my offset but it's days may be numbered once I try a brisket in the CS.

hopefully jack will be along soon and can provide feedback based on his commercial use of the unit you are looking at..

Tom-Fl
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 74
    RE: CS SM 150 -All positive and negative input neeeded 2006/08/18 11:15:40 (permalink)
    The folks at Cookshack developed the original model as a brisket cooker,and they are outstanding.

It cooks shoulder/butts the same way.

I has the benefit of cooking at higher temps than some of the smaller models.

There are some folks that like poultry and other items at these higher temps.

It has cababilities to do some cold smoking,as well.

They are very efficient,and cabable of producing excellent quality product ,even by minimally trained help.

Like in all cooking ,they need some guidelines to follow.

The Cookshack forum can be the answer to most of the questions that might arise,and keep your learning curve to a minimum.

I have used one for several years,and am still amazed by the versatility and ease of use.

If allowed,I would use it on the competition circuit,as well.

Hope this helps a little.

Tom-Fl
    FireHouseBBQ

Theedge
    • Total Posts : 1196
    RE: CS SM 150 -All positive and negative input neeeded 2006/08/18 11:35:48 (permalink)
    I have the 008 and love it. I frequent two BBQ joints that use Cookshack, not sure which models. All of their meats turn out fantastic.
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3716
    RE: CS SM 150 -All positive and negative input neeeded 2006/08/18 18:20:15 (permalink)
    I built a Cookshack SM 250 from a reach in freezer. But let me warn you if you try this you can't use the insulation that is in between the freezer inner and outer box. Anyway I used Cookshack’s computer system and woodboxes. I love it. I had bought and sold Cookshack Smokers for about 5 years and spotted the new computer model at the Kansas City Royal. But when I heard the 8 K price tag I went and got my camera, took a bunch of measurements and built my own. I ended up with about $2400.00 invested in the project, becuase I had an all stainless steel interior installed. Cookshacks are great and I love the hold feature on the computer run models. I still use my Klose more often but there certainly is a time and place for a Cookshack.
    Jack@DrofBBQ.com
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6559
    RE: CS SM 150 -All positive and negative input neeeded 2006/08/18 18:37:48 (permalink)
    russ2304

look for "prisonchef" comments in the Lunch & Dinner- BBQ Topic- Looking for a new smoker

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11839

Jack has some detailed advice there on the cookshacks!

He has been very helpful with his sound advice on use of the CS's

Cookshack is a great smoker, there is a learning curve with using them, but with detailed note taking once you get up to speed, watch the AWESOME que you will produce.

Do not let the learning curve thing throw you though, they are fairly easy to use, and DO produce awesome que.

RibDog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 593
    RE: CS SM 150 -All positive and negative input neeeded 2006/08/18 19:25:12 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Dr of BBQ

I built a Cookshack SM 250 from a reach in freezer. But let me warn you if you try this you can't use the insulation that is in between the freezer inner and outer box. Anyway I used Cookshack’s computer system and woodboxes. I love it. I had bought and sold Cookshack Smokers for about 5 years and spotted the new computer model at the Kansas City Royal. But when I heard the 8 K price tag I went and got my camera, took a bunch of measurements and built my own. I ended up with about $2400.00 invested in the project, becuase I had an all stainless steel interior installed. Cookshacks are great and I love the hold feature on the computer run models. I still use my Klose more often but there certainly is a time and place for a Cookshack.
    Jack@DrofBBQ.com

Don't you mean you built a smoker similar to a Cookshack SM 250? If you build a knockoff, then point that out.

John
    prisonchef
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 296
    RE: CS SM 150 -All positive and negative input neeeded 2006/08/19 00:45:15 (permalink)
    russ,
    i guess the only thing i can add to this thread is just this. when i needed more cooking capacity i purchased another SM150 and not an fec100. i also installed the hood system that cookshack offers for this unit and have been more than pleased with that decision as i have one sm that cooks more on the "dry" side and the other cooks more to the "moist" side but this was done to meet my particular needs and after some fiddling around those needs were far exceeded simply by modifying the little hood system to pull a more negative air pressure flow thru that one unit which ended a specialized problem that i was encountering and was done thru a series of conversations with a guy in north carolina who has helped us a lot.
    the units are extremely reliable especially considering ours are towed and to be honest at the start i was worried that towing vibrations would cause heating element failure. after 3 years of use i can say those fears were certainly unfounded. while on the subject of towing weight is a major concern to me and these units while heavily insulated are light in weight and that is one of the reasons that i am considering removing the fec currently in the rig and replacing it with my second 150 unit. this change however would require that i submit new plan approval drawings to the state of florida at a cost of $150.00 and then have my rig re-approved at a cost of $350.00. needless to say those numbers are significant but in view of gas prices, ect. and due to my admiration for the way these units cook commercially it is cetainly something that i am giving the hard look to.
    just so you are aware i in no way,shape or form work for cookshack. my 2 SM150's and FEC100 i purchased with my hard earned bucks and i am somewhat persona non grata on their forum due to some things that i have said. all that being said my money says that you could do no finer than a cookshack electric for commercial use and i stand behind that statement.
    jack
    ps. one last thing. the electrics are illegal in competitions. food for thought there!!!! also when gathering information always ask if the person is cooking commercially or competitevly. the 2 styles have no bearing upon each other and from your posts i have gotten the feeling that you are viewing this purchase from a commercial standpoint.
    pps. almost forgot the negative. the fec does better biscuits. however i am lucky that i have a friend that is a pastry chef. we are currently experimenting with several single action backing powders and we are making good headway on producing acceptable quality biscuits out of the SM150 which has a lower top end temp. so far that's my only negative. but one to be considered if you are doing a breakfast type item.
    sinkiller
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 57
    RE: CS SM 150 -All positive and negative input neeeded 2006/08/19 10:28:49 (permalink)
    If you are going to open a full blown Q restaurant, look no farther than a Southern Pride Model,

Call them, they will send you a demo tape.
    Tom-Fl
    Hamburger
    RE: CS SM 150 -All positive and negative input neeeded 2006/08/19 16:10:23 (permalink)
    Cajun King,I am having some trouble figuring out this learning curve problem.

Is this in reference to someone that has never cooked bbq,and having to learn about that?

The cooker seems to have a very minimal learning curve,unless you try to change everything it does well,as it was designed.

Thanks,

Tom
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    RE: CS SM 150 -All positive and negative input neeeded 2006/08/19 18:12:49 (permalink)
    Tom,

Not with cooking que, as much as switching to a new smoker, I have been a stick burner for years, I know the fundamentals of que, but learning the ins and outs of a new cooker is where the trial and error or learning curve is.

With the cookshack there is a "set it and forget it mentality", and several beginner users have bad experiences with their first attempts, all I was trying to say is it takes a little experimenting, enjoy the process of experimentation.

Problems beginners experience, too little smoke, too much smoke, no bark, too much bark, no smoke ring, etc. These are things that are easy to overcome using the cookshack, it just takes patience and a little trial and error.

Take notes, if it doesnt turn out right, look at your notes next time and change something or do something different.

Please don't let the use of "learning curve" throw you, we all have a learning curve when trying something new, it's called trial and error.

Hope this helps clear this up, sorry for any confusion I may have caused.

Donald
    cajunking
    bassrocker4u2
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 534
    RE: CS SM 150 -All positive and negative input neeeded 2006/08/20 09:46:11 (permalink)
    my only concern with the cookshack, is the cooking area. i am not sure, can someone quote on how much meat one will hold? i use a home-made two-face split gas/wood smoker, that can produce a ton of meat.
    at once, i can smoke 12 racks of ribs, 12 butts, 8 whole chickens, and 50 pounds of taters. all, at once........
    i can imagine having a whole bunch of smokers, to do the one job.
    friend of mine has a monster smoker. they only do charity work. they smoke several hundred butts at once! now thats a smoker.
    prisonchef
    Cheeseburger
    RE: CS SM 150 -All positive and negative input neeeded 2006/08/20 17:41:59 (permalink)
    bassrocker,
    sm150 is rated per load as follows. all figures are from their website;
    40 lbs ribs
    80 lbs heavy cut meats
    15 chickens

sm260 is rated per load as follows. all figures are from their website. requires 240v.
    90 lbs ribs
    200 lbs brisket
    250 lbs butts
    40 chicken

to see all the commercial specs just go to www.cookshack.com and click on the pics. it will give all the spec data

jack
    Porky Pine Kate
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 7
    RE: CS SM 150 -All positive and negative input neeeded 2006/08/22 01:22:01 (permalink)
    A few points here:

First, there isn't much in this world that doesn't have a learning curve. Simple things ... difficult things. If I cook on a gas stove for several years then switch to electric, there is a learning curve. If I switch back again I have to recall what I was doing in the first place. I happen to own an FEC and I know the hot spots, the little quirks in my unit. In general, on all cooking "things" I have found you need to learn your appliance and work with it. Notes do help, unless you have a steel trap mind and iI do not.

Second, I have NEVER gotten a bad bit of advice from Prisonchef. The man is solid.

Third, I have to agree on a difference between Comp Cooks and Professionals. No slur intended. There are different goals and different judges. Mr. Public likes what he likes, he is not trained to judge food. The setting is different, the goal is different. I have licenses and food management considerations to follow as a professional. My ultimate goal is to grow a business. I have different problems to cope with. The key word here is different, not less important or lesser in any way, just different. That being said, if offense is taken, you are letting your feelings stick out way too far. No insult was intended. I am not sure why Comp cooks take offense to this differentiation, but it seems they do.

This thread is about SM's, but I have an FEC. I do like my FEC and I do operate out of a trailer, for now anyway. We did kill one truck pulling the trailer already, but upgraded, so weight for now is not a problem. Capacity is becoming a problem for us. Truth be told if we go into a stationary setting I will be considering the biggest FE available. But, before I do that I will be talking to PrisonChef about his thoughts on the subject. Your opinions are always welcome to me Jack.

Porky Pine Kate
    prisonchef
    Cheeseburger
    RE: CS SM 150 -All positive and negative input neeeded 2006/08/22 19:12:03 (permalink)
    man kate thanks. too be honest i am kind of emabarresed but it does feel really good to know that i have helped someone.
    thanks also for clarifing my stance on commercial vs competiton. sometimes my words get in the way of what i am trying to say.
    i guess what really throws me off the hook is the whole "set it and forget it" thing when it comes to cooking from a professional aspect(i have no problems with it for home cooks or those that just have the bucks to purchase professional equipment to impress the neighbors). i looked down my nose for two years at the sm150 i had. just so everyone knows why i have two sm150's and an fec 100 here is the full, no bull, low down on that decision. in 2003 we went to the national bbq association convention in atlanta,ga. i went there with full intentions of buying a southern pride unit. while the cost on that was somewhat over budget we met john shifflet who showed us the fec100. i loved the unit but my wife was afraid of it for whatever reason. john sent us inside to look at the electric models. peg loved the sm150 and i mean loved it. i liked the fec from purely a competition standpoint so we were at an empass. when we compared the cost of getting both an sm150 and fec100 versus the cost of the smallest southern pride (coupled with the fact that prides don't meet fba or kcbs standards) we chose the cookshacks and saved several thousands of dollars. i didn't think too much about the sm and used it as a food warmer for a long time until my fec coughed a shear pin at 2am on a saturday and the food had to be ready to go at 6am. shoved everything into the sm dialed up 250 on the heat and let it rip. that unit saved us. my wife showed me how to play the buttons later and let me experiment with it. after a year i had the notes that allowed let me match everything except biscuits that had previously come out of the fec. when we became fortunate enough to require more capacity i weighed all pros and cons for each unit and for us (and i stress this is only for us) the only logical choice was another 150.
    what really galls me is these units are so capable of doing so much more then what they are given credit for. when they are pushed to edge of the envelope i am still amazed by what they are truly capable of and for that reason alone i get very short tempered with those who tell me i am making them too complicated. these individuals (and they have never identified themselves as trying to make a commercial living from these units) are selling this unit far short of it's ultimate capablities and that,to me as a chef, is inexcusable or to be truly blunt so near sighted as to be a criminal and it truly upsets me from a professional standpoint as it reminds me too much of the phrase "we have always done it this way". i guess my old man was right when he advised me that consistancy is the hob-goblins of small minds. but i guess the nicest thing about the electrics are they forced me to think out of the box, to review books like on food and cooking,to bone up on physics and thermodynamics, to call up old teacher chefs and pick their brains as to why this or that was occuring and to just light a bigger fire in my belly!!!!
    jack
    Tom-Fl
    Hamburger
    RE: CS SM 150 -All positive and negative input neeeded 2006/08/22 19:13:10 (permalink)
    Hi Kate,

A couple of the questions may have to do with semantics.

Learning curves can be minimal, to extreme.

Yes,gas and electric stoves are different.

Maybe the question should be"if you can cook a pork chop well on one,how big a deal is it to learn to cook a pork chop on the other".

No,I am not equating a quick saute' with the slow and low of barbecue.

This is a simplistic example,but most stickburners,that have had to learn a more labor/attention intensive cooking process,are able to rather quickly adjust to a Cookshack/Southern Pride/Ole Hickory/commercial Traegar,etc.

As for "comp cooks" taking so called offense at the differences,there could be a couple of reasons.

They might not understand ,that they are not professionals.

Many comp cooks that I know,operate large vending operations,catering companies,roadside vending units,carryout restaurants,full sitdown restaurants,etc.

Most of those seem quite adept at distinguishing the differences among comp judges,better restaurant patrons,catering clients,and possibily one time vending customers.

And yes,I've cooked on the above and also cook on FEC s on the comp circuit.

Just a couple of thoughts,and I hope your business is progressing well.

Tom-Fl
    FireHouseBBQ
    Porky Pine Kate
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 7
    RE: CS SM 150 -All positive and negative input neeeded 2006/08/23 19:30:30 (permalink)
    Hi Tom.

Okay, let's split hairs. You can be a professional comp cook, who is also a professional food service business person (ie chef) or just a professional chef or just a professional comp cook. But I would submit to you that if I am talking about a professional chef and you happen to be a comp cook and a professional chef, what is the hang up? Where is the insult ? You are missing the point. Comp cook is not lesser, it is different. Comp Cook that is also professional, meaning you do it to earn your living full time serving the public and also do it on the Competition Circuit as a adjunct to your business or for pleasure is also different. In order to make the distinction from one who works in a business making food as a service for the public, with benefit of a license, most would say this is their profession. And you have proven my point that some people feel that the distinction is a belittlement , but this is only in their minds because it is not inteneded as a slur or slight. When we talk competion and food service for the general public we are talking two different subjects, with some similarities shared, but different goals and methods in many aspects. I applaud competition cooks, they do fantastic things and I can learn from them, I have no aspirations to comptitively cook like they do. I respect what they do. But, if they are cooking for the public with a license and serving in a business, they are then professional chefs. And that my friend is the distinction. It is a way of classifying the two very distinct areas. Nothing more. I have been cooking since I was three years old but until I did it as a service for paying customers I did not consider myself a professional. And I never took offense at not being professional, because that is not the classification my cooking comes under at home. But the truth is my home cooking is more of a profession than most chefs or comp cooks. But we just do not call it that, period. If you are a Comp Cook and you are making food at a restaurant, you are now in your professional chef capacity and I bet you will not cook that food in the same manner you would for the judges at a comp. I know you wouldn't, the judges take a bite of this and your flavors are more powerful to gain an instant impression. So, there again we have a difference, not one that makes a slur, just a difference. This insult between the two distinctions is not intended, it is assumed only by one half of the equation, and only by some I believe. It has been beaten to oblivion. Frankly, I have never heard or seen a food service professional say anything uncomplimentary about a professional comp cook. The inferiority complex is self inflicted. I would love to say that I have a truck load of trophies to my name. It just isn't something I am motivated to work for though.

Learning curves. Here again we have some generalities. People come in all makes and models. Some are more deft at this than that. Some are more anal than others. Is that bad? Certainly not. A perfectionist in his or her field will no doubt have his own way of perfecting his skills and craft. Some will push the envelope, like Jack, to see what he can accomplish, what variances will come out of his testing and experimentation. My problem here is that I do not own the cooker mentioned. I do on the other hand know Jack. Jack is a craftsman at what he does and I do understand this. I also know that many have talked to Jack about how to get what they want out of their smoker. Some people may be quite happy with putting in their food to cook and be thrilled to get what they get, Here again, we have others that have certain expectations and problems that are not so easy to resolve. If the man can help them get what they want why impune his character and knowledge? I am sorry, but this is a lot like telling the guy with a parrot on his shoulder not to worry, just go on about his business, there is no parrot on his shoulder when he knows there is. This is the point to stay quiet if you have no helpful input to the situation. I had a devil of a time making ribs in my FEC. Everyone said it was so easy. Not for me. It tooks me months to get them the way I wanted them. And I owe many thanks To Ron from Pellet Envy, a Comp Cook, and Jack. They both solved my problems. Ron was also quick to point out that I didn't want to do this and that because he did his for competition and that wouldn't work for me.

As for stick burners, we came from a time when you used an old fridge and a small heating element in the bottom to smoke your food. Pretty basic. Still, there are ways to do it and ways not to do it. You learn. The FEC was not just stick it in and go. We learned how to deal with it to get what we wanted.

What works for me might work for you. But then again, it very well might not.

I don't mean to sound combative. Jack and I have both stated that we love our cookers. Given them high rating. Isn't that the end all? No one said CS was bad, unhelpful or not the choice to make. We state our opinions, what we find to be true. You state yours and have every right to that opinion. But, so do others and we have much to learn from each other. To speak freely, to say what we think is a very good thing.

Jack has been far more gracious in his words and actions than I might have been had someone more or less told me pubicly that I was a know nothing. And that is the the crux of the issue on another board. I saw and read the posts. Jack is a gentleman and asked me not to comment at the time. Sorry Jack. You deserve better. You have helped so many people and asked nothing in return. A public apology was the least you deserved.

I am sorry if I embarrased you or have angered you by my comments.

Tom, I thank you for your words of good wishes. We are making wonderful progress. In fact we hope to be moving our operation into a restaurant setting in the next few months.

There are driving forces and under currents to this thread. There are also some basic truths to be found here too. I hope the general population can ferret them out and gain something from the posts.

Best wishes and much respect to EVERYONE

Porky Pine Kate

Ps I will be at an event for the next five days and will not be able to respond to any posts.
    See you all next week! PPK
    BR
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 233
    RE: CS SM 150 -All positive and negative input neeeded 2006/08/24 00:00:47 (permalink)
    But let me warn you if you try this you can't use the insulation that is in between the freezer inner and outer box.

Could you elaborate on the above statement? What exactly is the inner and outer box? I know folks who use old freezers with metal interiors that put out some good Q.
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3716
    RE: CS SM 150 -All positive and negative input neeeded 2006/08/24 09:24:28 (permalink)
    Doctor of BBQ Wrote "But let me warn you if you try this you can't use the insulation that is in between the freezer inner and outer box".
    BR Wrtote "Could you elaborate on the above statement? What exactly is the inner and outer box? I know folks who use old freezers with metal interiors that put out some good Q".

BR,
    As I said in my earlier post, (or should have said) I built a Cookshack knock off complete with the Cookshack Computer System Cookshack Fireboxes and a stainless steel interior and exterior. I had owned several Cookshack models over the years and at one point bought five in one order to resale to friends. I bought five sold four and got mine free. I had a problem with one once and I took it apart and fixed it so I knew how they were built and wired. I saw the new computer models at the KC Royal and decided to build my own. I bought a reach in commercial stainless steel freezer with a bad compressor, at an auction. When I took it to a local sheet metal fabricator’s shop to get some work done on it, it was January and work was slow so they jumped at the chance to do indoor work. I asked them to remove the plastic interior and replace it with an all stainless steel box. I figured the plastic might burn or give off fumes if heated for an extended cook. I told them to take their time I wasn’t in any hurry. If some job came up put mine aside and do it as a fill in job. So it set for sometimes a week at a time while the shop guys worked on other projects. Long story short during one of those slack times the guy that was involved with the project was eating lunch and happened to be looking at the unit with the interior box completely removed. He noticed that the insulation was a different color than any he had seen in the past and cut a small sliver off of it and touched it with a match. It burst into flames and gave off a terrible gray green gas that took your breath away. So he and the shop foremen called me and we met and decided to remove the insulation in the walls, floor, and roof. We ordered new insulation from a company that makes commercial stoves
    Now I don’t know if the insulation would have been a problem had we left it as it came from the factory or not. But I think for the extra few dollars the stainless interior and the new heavy-duty insulation was a good investment. I ordered the computer system, and the fireboxes from Cookshack; they were a snap to install. So I ended up with a great Cookshack knockoff that cooks just like the real thing.
    Jack@drofBBQ.com

Tom-Fl
    Hamburger
    RE: CS SM 150 -All positive and negative input neeeded 2006/08/24 09:51:40 (permalink)
    Hi Kate,

You have not angered,nor insulted me.

My questioning had to do with the suggested long learning curves..

And yes, Rodney and Sherry Gray/Pellet Envy are fine folks,as well as fine cooks.

Best of luck with the upcoming venture,

Tom
    Freebird T Park
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 24
    RE: CS SM 150 -All positive and negative input neeeded 2006/08/31 08:31:31 (permalink)
    Russ,

I have a CS150. It does a great job on everything I have smoked. It does have a drawback for me. There is no smoke ring. Being in NJ, that probably won't be a problem for you. I'm in Tx. So, it is a little bit of a problem for me. But, there are ways around it, and I'm experimenting.

The people at CS are great. It is a very good smoker.

mike

smokinokie
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: CS SM 150 -All positive and negative input neeeded 2006/08/31 19:44:14 (permalink)
    Mike,

The issue of smoke ring has to do with the formation of nitrates/nitrites. I've suggested to some other texans that have larger CS's to add some charcoal (because of how it burns, it creates more N/N) as a way to get the "look and feel". Add a couple of chunks.

Not to bore everyone with the theory of Smoke Rings, but this has been the recommended change and has worked for everyone I've suggested it to. A second option is to burn lots of wood, in multiple steps and it will have the same effect, by creating more N/N. You HAVE to get the nitrates to "cure" the meat to get the pink. Scientific fact (involves Myoglobin, etc).

Hope that helps.

Smokin'

bassrocker4u2
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: CS SM 150 -All positive and negative input neeeded 2006/09/01 08:22:57 (permalink)
    hey all. i dont know what all the drama is about, and i dont care. i am here to learn, and to share. thanks.
    here is another concern of mine with the electrics(i still havent tried one yet),,,,
    with the gas/wood burners, i can flavor the meat with the clear smoke that comes from the coals of wood. that, is the desired part of the wood flavor. but it takes quite a bit of wood, compared to the electrics. i just cant figure out how the electrics can make good use of this type of flavor, with only two to four ounces of wood. are they also using the initial smoke to flavor the meat? btw, the initial smoke is the part that is bitter and contains cancer causing agents, according to cal. surgeon gen. normally, i let the wood fire up, and use the coals, for flavor. that, is the unmistakable taste, that i cant see duplicated without using alot of wood coals.
    so i just dont see the electrics, providing the wood flavor, without wood. perhaps if one of you professional electric users are located somewhere off i95(with a restaurant or stand), between ga and deleware, i will stop and see for myself next month....
    RibRater
    • Total Posts : 1862
    RE: CS SM 150 -All positive and negative input neeeded 2006/09/01 08:47:32 (permalink)
    Myrtle Beach work?

Little Pigs Barbecue and Catering
    62nd Avenue North in Myrtle Beach by Hwy 17 Bypass
    and Surfside Beach on Business 17 across from Ocean Lakes
    Tom-Fl
    Hamburger
    RE: CS SM 150 -All positive and negative input neeeded 2006/09/01 09:53:08 (permalink)
    The Cookshack style electric cooker doesn't flow the large volume of air that a horizontal stickburner might.

It is also exceptionally well sealed,so you aren't losing the smoke.

It is very efficient and burns very cleanly,but you can still oversmoke by using excess wood.

Tom
    baconman
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 33
    RE: CS SM 150 -All positive and negative input neeeded 2006/09/01 18:10:05 (permalink)
    If some of you folks would double space, your longer posts would be

alot easier for these 60 yr. old eyes to follow.

Thanks
    bassrocker4u2
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: CS SM 150 -All positive and negative input neeeded 2006/09/03 18:24:56 (permalink)
    i understand that the electrics are well sealed, but that may be a bad thing. the smoke, on a long cook, changes. gets stale, actually. i prefer sending in fresh stuff constantly. i guess thats what i cant get passed in my mind. i like fresh coals being added throughout the cook. plus changing up the flavors at certain intervals. but thats just me. i figure bbq is made from wood coals. somebody show me a place where i can go try this electric.....please.
    bassrocker4u2
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: CS SM 150 -All positive and negative input neeeded 2006/09/03 18:44:59 (permalink)
    thanks, larry. thats perfect. they use electrics??

ok bacon, i will try to double space... but my old memory might forget....see

think about this.. if you are cooking over a bed of woodcoals, have you ever oversmoked anything? nah, cant be done. thats because you arent trapping the smoke, and infusing it over and over.

the absence of the ring, is proof that only white smoke is flavoring the wood(cancerous). the clear smoke is where the nitrates are. that is the essence of the wood...the coals, if you will. and the ultimate flavor.

but still, i will not judge these cookers, until i have tried their wares.........but i will have my reservations..
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    RE: CS SM 150 -All positive and negative input neeeded 2006/09/04 20:38:44 (permalink)
    bassrocker

you can change varieties of wood in the midst of your smoking, and using several woods does produce a different taste all together.

I have been a stick burner for years, and like you I liked changing woods during a smoke to produce different effects.

I was having trouble adjusting to my cs sm150, but with the advice from several people here who were willing to help me out, and not criticize my actions I have learned many things, and really love my cookshack.

I have even started getting a better smoke ring (YEAHHHHH )
    and It was because of prisonchefs comments and help.

Try the electrics, you will be amazed at what they are capable of doing, and this is coming from a dedicated stick burner.

(yes, I still use my "port o pit" for fun every so often, and for big things, like Turkey Day which I will do 30 smoked turkeys)

smokinokie
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: CS SM 150 -All positive and negative input neeeded 2006/09/06 09:37:48 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by bassrocker4u2
    the absence of the ring, is proof that only white smoke is flavoring the wood(cancerous). the clear smoke is where the nitrates are. that is the essence of the wood...

Since this is in the Pros forum and these people are serving to the public, think more detail is needed. And you did say you wanted to learn and share, me too.

Care to state the basis for that? By your statement, you're saying that electrics smoke with only cancerous smoke. How silly and potentially libelous statement to make.

And then of course you're saying anyone with a stickburner burning wood (not coals)is causing cancer.

Let's see some basis for that statement.

I've been studying smoke for many years and even talked to a few researchers and that statement is a new one. Yeah, some tree huggers in California have had wood labeled as "cancer causing" but they haven't provided scientific proof, they just got wood labeled as such.

Also, the smoke is "stale". Huh? The air in any smoker is moving constantly by aircurrents and convection, even an electric. That's why there are vent holes. And wood can get old and give a "stale" taste, but it's because the wood is old, not that it doesn't circulate in a smoker.

As for cooking on gas, depends is it natural or propane? Me, gas gives food a "taste" that I find in restaurants. When I ask them what they're cooking on, it's gas.

All smokers have their points/counter points. Heck there are plenty of people out there that think true bbq is about cooking over a pit you dug in the ground and anything else just ain't right.

Plenty of smokers to go around. You want an opinion of a smoker, I'll post on it if I've used it, but I don't offen an opinion on one I haven't used. Wouldn't make me much of a resource.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1