Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
dickestep
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 533
RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/03/24 09:10:29 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Rick F.

I love it when you talk dirty! Some people make the mistake of equating "greens" with "green vegetables." Bad mistake: green vegetables are simply spoiled cow food. Greens, on the other hand are the quintessence of ambrosial sustenance.
Bless, as Tennessee Ernie often said, yo' pea-pickin' little hearts.

And as Roy Rogers used to say "may the good Lord take a liking to you." Yep, I much prefer a good mess of greens to most of those green vegetables. I've also made many a meal from corn bread and pot likker.
pamelakrest
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 362
RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/03/25 07:31:38 (permalink)
I am 48 yrs old and soon to be 49 and I can remember when I was a small child BEGGING my Grandmother to fix cooked turnips hahaha All the other GrandKids wanted cakes/cookies...I wanted cooked turnips!
I would eat turnips till I thought I would burst lol
I love greens of all kinds cooked with hocks/ham/or smoked jowl bacon. I can also remember Grandmother fixing pork neck bones with potatoes OMG YUMMMM !
I also love cooked cabbage with bacon grease :-)
Pam
Pancho
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 915
RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/03/25 07:50:14 (permalink)
Collards would be #1 for me. In fact I'm heading to the store this A.M. for some fresh ones and a couple of smoked hocks. Maybe I can score some of those baby Vidalias, too! I like turnips and collards mixed as well. Kale doesn't really do it for me, but I will eat any green....mustards are fine if not a little bitter. A secret green for me that I really like are beet greens. Sweet and delicate, but hard to find them in bulk unless you buy a ton of beets. I like slicing fresh beets, lay them on foil, a little butter, lemon juice, and fresh dill. Then fold it up and put it on the grill a few minutes before your steak or whatever is done. Well, off to get the collards.
dickestep
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/03/25 07:55:28 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by pamelakrest

I am 48 yrs old and soon to be 49 and I can remember when I was a small child BEGGING my Grandmother to fix cooked turnips hahaha All the other GrandKids wanted cakes/cookies...I wanted cooked turnips!
I would eat turnips till I thought I would burst lol
I love greens of all kinds cooked with hocks/ham/or smoked jowl bacon. I can also remember Grandmother fixing pork neck bones with potatoes OMG YUMMMM !
I also love cooked cabbage with bacon grease :-)
Pam

Pam, you were a kid I could relate to. Too many parents raise fussy children who won't eat but a few things. I made sure my own boys were fed Gerbers liver and spinach baby foods as well as a variety of others. They never exhibited qualms about new foods they were exposed to.
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5066
RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/03/25 08:28:16 (permalink)

Collard Greens, Turnip Greens, Mustard Greens or Polk Salad

Two big handfuls of greens

3 strips bacon (or 2 tablespoons bacon grease)

1/2 teaspoon salt

Place greens in very large bowl or sink full of water. Swish greens in water. Lift greens up and pour out water. Repeat until water is completely clean. Cut stems off greens. Also cut out the rib of leaves because it is too tough to cook rapidly.

Slice bacon into one-inch pieces. Fry in large skillet. When bacon is done, leave bacon in skillet and add greens. Alternatively, you can omit the bacon and place greens in 2 tablespoons of hot bacon grease. Stir greens until they are wilted. Add 1/2 cup water and cook 10 minutes. Do not cover as that will cause the greens will turn gray rather than the desired brilliant green. If greens are not cooked with bacon, you may wish to crumble crisp bacon on top of the greens for serving.
blue heaven
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 491
RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/03/25 08:33:46 (permalink)
I love all greens including swiss chard, but my favorite is collard greens. I have never used ham hocks partly because I don't know what it is or should I say what part it is from. I have used fat back once but it wouldn't brown like I thought it would. I probably am not doing it right. I have used a smoked turkey leg and it came out pretty tasty. I also like the greens super soft. Another plus greens are GOOD for you.
dickestep
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/03/25 08:37:53 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Pancho

Collards would be #1 for me. In fact I'm heading to the store this A.M. for some fresh ones and a couple of smoked hocks. Maybe I can score some of those baby Vidalias, too! I like turnips and collards mixed as well. Kale doesn't really do it for me, but I will eat any green....mustards are fine if not a little bitter. A secret green for me that I really like are beet greens. Sweet and delicate, but hard to find them in bulk unless you buy a ton of beets. I like slicing fresh beets, lay them on foil, a little butter, lemon juice, and fresh dill. Then fold it up and put it on the grill a few minutes before your steak or whatever is done. Well, off to get the collards.

Woo hoo! Pancho, you're right about those beet greens. One of the best messes of greens I ever enjoyed was one day when thinning my garden. I had sown the beets entirely too thick. I pulled a bowlfull of them about thumb sized. It wasn't enough for a pot, so I trimmed the roots off then fried several pieces of bacon. I took out the bacon and chopped the beets then sauteed them for a few minutes. Luckily I had some cornbread to go with this. Delicious!
dickestep
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/03/25 08:41:53 (permalink)
You're an artist, Adjudicator, those are beautiful!
dickestep
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/03/25 08:54:49 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by blue heaven

I love all greens including swiss chard, but my favorite is collard greens. I have never used ham hocks partly because I don't know what it is or should I say what part it is from. I have used fat back once but it wouldn't brown like I thought it would. I probably am not doing it right. I have used a smoked turkey leg and it came out pretty tasty. I also like the greens super soft. Another plus greens are GOOD for you.

You betcha greens are good for you, Blue Heaven. Mmm, I love me some collards too! I'm going to have to fix myself a pot of them soon. The ham hocks are just a bony joint lower in the legs. The bone marrow flavors the pot as well as the meat that's on them. They're good, or you can use any pork, or simply use bacon.
Adjudicator
Sirloin
RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/03/25 09:02:28 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by dickestep

You're an artist, Adjudicator, those are beautiful!

No, not really. I just recognize a good recipe when I see one (Check the "properties" of the pic).
BunglingBill
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 218
RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/03/25 09:56:42 (permalink)
Great job, Adjudicator!

Guess I will have to change our dinner plans for this evening (if I can find some good collards).

Thanks!
Adjudicator
Sirloin
RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/03/25 10:05:53 (permalink)
These will do in a pinch:

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1459
blue heaven
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 491
RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/03/25 10:09:13 (permalink)
Thanks dickestep....all this is making me hungry, I think I will make some for dinner tonight. By the way the collards come already cleaned, chopped, triple washed by the bag now.
dickestep
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/03/25 15:13:25 (permalink)
quote:

Thanks dickestep....all this is making me hungry, I think I will make some for dinner tonight. By the way the collards come already cleaned, chopped, triple washed by the bag now.

Hee hee hee! We've come a long way haven't we? I always triple rinsed mine in the sink.
Pancho
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 915
RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/03/25 15:48:37 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

Hee hee hee! We've come a long way haven't we? I always triple rinsed mine in the sink.
blue heaven is right about the above. My store has a section with fresh bagged and cleaned collards, mustards (curly and flat), turnips, and kale. I went with 2 lbs. of collards and 2 ham hocks. I can smell them from here! No baby Vidalias though, so I coarsely chopped up a full grown one!
dickestep
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/03/25 16:06:10 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Pancho

blue heaven is right about the above. My store has a section with fresh bagged and cleaned collards, mustards (curly and flat), turnips, and kale. I went with 2 lbs. of collards and 2 ham hocks. I can smell them from here! No baby Vidalias though, so I coarsely chopped up a full grown one!

I can smell them from here, too! Mmm, they smell delicious. The only thing you left out is your address...
BunglingBill
Cheeseburger
RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/03/26 11:48:44 (permalink)
God's gifts to the human race: two types of "likker."

One type is "pot likker" for dipping corn bread, and the other type is "hard likker" made from corn squeezin's.

dickestep
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/03/26 12:50:42 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by BunglingBill

God's gifts to the human race: two types of "likker."

One type is "pot likker" for dipping corn bread, and the other type is "hard likker" made from corn squeezin's.

Woo hoo! I know you're right, Bill. I have one of them right here, and I know where there's a Lady of pure Cajun breeding who will cook up a mess of the other, should I decide I want someone one else's cooking for a change.
BunglingBill
Cheeseburger
RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/03/26 13:07:14 (permalink)
quote:

Woo hoo! I know you're right, Bill. I have one of them right here, and I know where there's a Lady of pure Cajun breeding who will cook up a mess of the other, should I decide I want someone one else's cooking for a change.

You are one LUCKY Dude, dickestep!
dickestep
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/03/26 13:36:11 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by BunglingBill

quote:

You are one LUCKY Dude, dickestep!

Thank you, Bill. That Lady didn't pout a bit last year when I bought a big box of pretty poblano peppers, and split down with an Eagle Aerie friend. She volunteered to do something with our half, and made enough bodacious stuffed peppers I had some for the freezer. She's good to go on cornbread, too, and didn't blink when I messed up her kitchen making a five gallon batch of Chile Verde.
iqdiva
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1491
RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/03/26 17:21:22 (permalink)
To every two big bunches of greens (any kind),I add a head of chopped cabbage.I cook those with ham hocks,smoked pork neck bones or fresh pork back bone,bacon grease,a hot pepper,salt,pepper,and a dash of home made sugar cane syrup.Serve with hoe cakes,sweet onion slices(I like Vidalia)or green onions and home made pepper sauce ( hot peppers in vinegar).And, of course,sweet tea !
dickestep
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/03/26 17:31:01 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by iqdiva

To every two big bunches of greens (any kind),I add a head of chopped cabbage.I cook those with ham hocks,smoked pork neck bones or fresh pork back bone,bacon grease,a hot pepper,salt,pepper,and a dash of home made sugar cane syrup.Serve with hoe cakes,sweet onion slices(I like Vidalia)or green onions and home made pepper sauce ( hot peppers in vinegar).And, of course,sweet tea !

That sounds like down home cooking to me, Iqdiva!
iqdiva
RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/03/26 17:38:04 (permalink)
Thank you Dickestep...It sho'nuff is.At it's finest!
Scarlett
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 402
RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/03/26 17:50:25 (permalink)
I love this thread and I love greens.
I grew up with a vegetable garden 'out our back door' that magically turned into a 'salat' patch come early fall. It was a mixture of all types of greens including turnips. To 'stretch-a-pot' mom would dice up turnips and add them to the greens pot. Wonderful stuff!
iqdiva
RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/03/26 17:55:25 (permalink)
Turnips and rutabagas cooked with greens are wonderful,too!
Adjudicator
Sirloin
RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/03/26 19:58:42 (permalink)
Sweet tea is a no-no for me unless it fresh brewed and has at least 1/4th content per glass of pinapple juice, but only then if it it served with fresh mint sprigs and ice COLD.
dickestep
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/03/27 07:27:06 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Adjudicator

Sweet tea is a no-no for me unless it fresh brewed and has at least 1/4th content per glass of pinapple juice, but only then if it it served with fresh mint sprigs and ice COLD.

Add rum and make mine a double!
Adjudicator
Sirloin
RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/03/28 15:40:01 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

Add rum and make mine a double!

Don Q dark (only) for me, thanks!
dickestep
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/03/28 19:17:29 (permalink)
quote:

Don Q dark (only) for me, thanks!

We like most of the same foods, Adjudicator, but I'm a little more liberal in my drinks than you. I'll drink most anything alcoholic.
iqdiva
RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/03/28 19:19:27 (permalink)
Sometimes I make cornmeal dumplings in my pot of greens...
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1