Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Author
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5066
RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/04/15 12:10:09 (permalink)
I've got a recipe for corndogs ala' STP if anyone wants it. Also smoked beef via blown compression rings ala' shot muffler. Anyone care for steamed shrimp "Pontiac" ?? Steamed to perfection via blown head gasket.
Grillmeister
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 204
RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/04/15 12:41:43 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by dickestep

quote:
Originally posted by genewj

We serve MEALS in the evening in a border Black area of town. Collard greens with Smoked Hog necks,hot sauce. Blackeyed Peas, yellow rice,Corn bread and macaroni and cheese..Basic meats are Chicken and BBQ Ribs with the third being Stew Beef..It works and we are constantly making collard greens and corn bread and macaroni and cheese..my 2 bits

You know, it was 1965 at Lackland Air Force Base in San Antonio I was first told that sort of foods were soul food. I'd been eating them all my life without being aware they were associated with any particular ethnicity. My Mom was also careful to train us to recognise and prepare Poke Salat, as well as other wild edibles. It's all good food to me.

That's the way we ate as well, even in the middle of Suburbia! Summer meals at my grandmothers consisted of garden grown onion and tomato, pinto beans, turnip greens with the turnips, and cornbread. I can't recall any meat during the meal!

My dad was all about the poke salad since he grew up during the Great Depression. As you all know, poke salad is actually poisonous unless its boiled three times (and then there are trace amounts of toxins). My dad tried to speed up this process by cooking them in a pressure cooker. This worked fine until one day the cooker blew the seal and exploded. Fortunately nobody was near the cooker at the time, but the kitchen was splattered with poke salad in much the Jackson Pollock style.
dickestep
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 533
RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/05/05 15:03:54 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Adjudicator

I've got a recipe for corndogs ala' STP if anyone wants it. Also smoked beef via blown compression rings ala' shot muffler. Anyone care for steamed shrimp "Pontiac" ?? Steamed to perfection via blown head gasket.
Ahh, the wonderful odor of fresh hydrocarbons cooking! One of my best Friends, now deceased, would always fire up his pit with a cup of deisel fuel. Somehow, his pork ribs, briskets, and baked beans were wondermous when done.
dickestep
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 533
RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/05/05 15:13:33 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Grillmeister

That's the way we ate as well, even in the middle of Suburbia! Summer meals at my grandmothers consisted of garden grown onion and tomato, pinto beans, turnip greens with the turnips, and cornbread. I can't recall any meat during the meal!

My dad was all about the poke salad since he grew up during the Great Depression. As you all know, poke salad is actually poisonous unless its boiled three times (and then there are trace amounts of toxins). My dad tried to speed up this process by cooking them in a pressure cooker. This worked fine until one day the cooker blew the seal and exploded. Fortunately nobody was near the cooker at the time, but the kitchen was splattered with poke salad in much the Jackson Pollock style.
If I didn't live on the Gulf Coast I'd still be eating that way. As it was, Dad eventually built a boat, and seafood came more and more into our kitchen. He then bought a shrimp boat, and we learned far more than we wanted to know about living off the sea. Now I vary between "soul food", Cajun, Mexican, and whatever else I get hungry for.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13548
RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/05/08 19:46:47 (permalink)
I just bought a smoked pork shoulder with the huge bone in. I started to give the bone with the ham on it to my dingo dog. I decided against it and bought some fresh collards. I shredded them sans stems, added some onions, huge ham bone, a sliced jalapeno, some salt and pepper and some beef broth.

I let it cook about three hours until very tender and had some Tennessee fried cornbread with it.

A very pleasant evening. My dingo dog would not touch the bone due to the jalapeno seasoning.

Paul E. Smith
knoxville, TN
Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1