The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

 Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale

Change Page: 1234 > | Showing page 1 of 4, messages 1 to 30 of 95
Author Message
dickestep

  • Total Posts: 533
  • Joined: 3/11/2007
  • Location: Bacliff, TX
Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale Wed, 03/21/07 9:21 PM (permalink)
What are your favorite greens? I love them all. I loved living in East Texas where I had a house on top of a sand hill which was almost totally covered with pines and oaks.
I had some room for a garden out in front where I raked back the mulch and broadcast four ounces each of mustard, collard, and turnip seed. A month later I could pick a big sack of greens in the morning before I left for work. I can make a meal off them and a skillet of corn bread. Do you have a favorite?
 
#1
    BhamBabe

    • Total Posts: 879
    • Joined: 10/18/2005
    • Location: Mandeville, LA
    RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale Thu, 03/22/07 3:07 AM (permalink)
    Turnip greens by themselves, collards by themselves or a mixture of turnips and collards together. I adore boiled cabbage, wilted cabbage and coleslaw.

    The turnips are cooked with salt pork, the collards with a hamhock, jalapeno peppers or banana peppers. Of course vinegar sauce on the side.

    I have to have cornbread as well for the pot likker. I have to make sure I don't cook more turnips than is humanly possible to ingest because I can seriously eat them beyond what is comforable. Add butterbeans and potato salad and that's my favorite meal.
     
    #2
      dickestep

      • Total Posts: 533
      • Joined: 3/11/2007
      • Location: Bacliff, TX
      RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale Thu, 03/22/07 9:09 AM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by BhamBabe

      Turnip greens by themselves, collards by themselves or a mixture of turnips and collards together. I adore boiled cabbage, wilted cabbage and coleslaw.

      The turnips are cooked with salt pork, the collards with a hamhock, jalapeno peppers or banana peppers. Of course vinegar sauce on the side.

      I have to have cornbread as well for the pot likker. I have to make sure I don't cook more turnips than is humanly possible to ingest because I can seriously eat them beyond what is comforable. Add butterbeans and potato salad and that's my favorite meal.
      Mmm, mmm, mmm. BhamBabe, it would not do for you and me to get together eating greens and cornbread. We might create a vaccuum and upset the balance of the galaxy! Please stay tuned and I'll post how I cook skillet fried scalloped turnips.
       
      #3
        BunglingBill

        • Total Posts: 218
        • Joined: 3/16/2007
        • Location: Nashville, TN
        RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale Thu, 03/22/07 9:22 AM (permalink)
        Like you, dickestep, I love 'em all. But collard greens are my hands-down favorite when cooked properly and served with hot, buttered cornbread and TexasPete pepper sauce. Don't get no better than that!
         
        #4
          Pat T Hat

          • Total Posts: 968
          • Joined: 5/2/2006
          • Location: Butler, KY
          RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale Thu, 03/22/07 10:04 AM (permalink)
          Oh yes please!
          With smoked hocks or jowl and crumbled pickled egg and a splash of vinegar or even pickle juice.
          I like crispy bacon too. In it, on it, anywhere around it!
          I want those butter beans on the side as well.

          Warning...I'll fight if I have to for a ham hock!
           
          #5
            Art Deco

            • Total Posts: 888
            • Joined: 6/12/2002
            • Location: Nashville, TN
            RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale Thu, 03/22/07 10:35 AM (permalink)
            Mixture of freshly-picked, not-too-large turnip, mustard & kale greens in a roughly 40/40/20 ratio...
             
            #6
              Adjudicator

              • Total Posts: 5055
              • Joined: 5/20/2003
              • Location: Tallahassee, FL
              RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale Thu, 03/22/07 7:20 PM (permalink)
              You folks seem to have this area well covered so far. Greens wise... Although "cabbage" technically does not fit in here,; no complaints from me.
               
              #7
                Space

                • Total Posts: 78
                • Joined: 7/17/2005
                • Location: Bradenton, FL
                RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale Thu, 03/22/07 11:22 PM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by Pat T Hat

                Oh yes please!
                With smoked hocks or jowl and crumbled pickled egg and a splash of vinegar or even pickle juice.
                I like crispy bacon too. In it, on it, anywhere around it!
                I want those butter beans on the side as well.

                Warning...I'll fight if I have to for a ham hock!


                Now you're talking...a Space with any kind of greens is one happy Space. I tend to lean more towards collard greens, but I'll eat them all. Those of you in the Tampa Bay area like me probably know of Lee Roy Selmon's. It's a little overpriced and not quite worthy of being called Roadfood, but they have a side of mixed greens that's very addictive, in my ever so humble opinion.

                The problem with where I am is that places that serve decent greens are scarce.
                 
                #8
                  dickestep

                  • Total Posts: 533
                  • Joined: 3/11/2007
                  • Location: Bacliff, TX
                  RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale Fri, 03/23/07 1:04 AM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by BunglingBill

                  Like you, dickestep, I love 'em all. But collard greens are my hands-down favorite when cooked properly and served with hot, buttered cornbread and TexasPete pepper sauce. Don't get no better than that!

                  I loves me some collard greens, too, Bill. As I've said before in this forum, I think it's against the law in the South to serve them without corn bread. If not, it should be!
                   
                  #9
                    dickestep

                    • Total Posts: 533
                    • Joined: 3/11/2007
                    • Location: Bacliff, TX
                    RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale Fri, 03/23/07 1:12 AM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by Pat T Hat

                    Oh yes please!
                    With smoked hocks or jowl and crumbled pickled egg and a splash of vinegar or even pickle juice.
                    I like crispy bacon too. In it, on it, anywhere around it!
                    I want those butter beans on the side as well.

                    Warning...I'll fight if I have to for a ham hock!

                    Mmm, you're right about that vinegar or hot sauce. It's almost as necessary as the corn bread.
                     
                    #10
                      dickestep

                      • Total Posts: 533
                      • Joined: 3/11/2007
                      • Location: Bacliff, TX
                      RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale Fri, 03/23/07 1:16 AM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by pogophiles

                      Mixture of freshly-picked, not-too-large turnip, mustard & kale greens in a roughly 40/40/20 ratio...

                      I like a combo sometimes, too. Damn, I'm going to have to cook a big batch!
                       
                      #11
                        dickestep

                        • Total Posts: 533
                        • Joined: 3/11/2007
                        • Location: Bacliff, TX
                        RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale Fri, 03/23/07 1:26 AM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by Adjudicator

                        You folks seem to have this area well covered so far. Greens wise... Although "cabbage" technically does not fit in here,; no complaints from me.

                        I agree with you there, Adjudicator. I love cabbage, but prefer collards, turnips, or mustard greens over them. I love spinach, too, but I've never had as good luck with growing it down here. I'll also go out of my way to use fresh spinach with salads. Mmm!
                         
                        #12
                          genewj

                          • Total Posts: 370
                          • Joined: 9/2/2006
                          • Location: Bradenton, FL
                          RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale Fri, 03/23/07 5:28 AM (permalink)
                          We serve MEALS in the evening in a border Black area of town. Collard greens with Smoked Hog necks,hot sauce. Blackeyed Peas, yellow rice,Corn bread and macaroni and cheese..Basic meats are Chicken and BBQ Ribs with the third being Stew Beef..It works and we are constantly making collard greens and corn bread and macaroni and cheese..my 2 bits
                           
                          #13
                            lleechef

                            • Total Posts: 6200
                            • Joined: 3/22/2003
                            • Location: Gahanna, OH
                            RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale Fri, 03/23/07 5:52 AM (permalink)
                            We love all the above. And don't forget escarole in Wedding Soup. Another great green.
                             
                            #14
                              dickestep

                              • Total Posts: 533
                              • Joined: 3/11/2007
                              • Location: Bacliff, TX
                              RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale Fri, 03/23/07 6:38 AM (permalink)
                              quote:
                              Originally posted by genewj

                              We serve MEALS in the evening in a border Black area of town. Collard greens with Smoked Hog necks,hot sauce. Blackeyed Peas, yellow rice,Corn bread and macaroni and cheese..Basic meats are Chicken and BBQ Ribs with the third being Stew Beef..It works and we are constantly making collard greens and corn bread and macaroni and cheese..my 2 bits

                              You know, it was 1965 at Lackland Air Force Base in San Antonio I was first told that sort of foods were soul food. I'd been eating them all my life without being aware they were associated with any particular ethnicity. My Mom was also careful to train us to recognise and prepare Poke Salat, as well as other wild edibles. It's all good food to me.
                               
                              #15
                                dickestep

                                • Total Posts: 533
                                • Joined: 3/11/2007
                                • Location: Bacliff, TX
                                RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale Fri, 03/23/07 6:48 AM (permalink)
                                quote:
                                Originally posted by lleechef

                                We love all the above. And don't forget escarole in Wedding Soup. Another great green.
                                Escarole is one green I've never tried. I'll try to remember to watch for it. Thank you.
                                 
                                #16
                                  rebeltruce

                                  • Total Posts: 698
                                  • Joined: 9/8/2006
                                  • Location: Culpeper, VA
                                  RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale Fri, 03/23/07 7:05 AM (permalink)
                                  I love them all!

                                  Let's not forget the lowly Dandelion greens....picked early in spring before they flower. Scald them in a sweet and sour white sauce, and serve them over plain old boiled potato's, top the potato's first with a little chopped raw onion, then smother the whole the whole plate with the greens and sauce! Of course a nice thick piece of fried ham goes along nicely!

                                  Prior to my moving south over 20 years ago, Dandelion greens were about the only greens I had eaten cooked, besides spinach and swiss chard. Now I can't imagine life without greens and cornbread, I eat them every chance I get. It's become over the years, my duty to make a mess o greens for a big BBQ a friend of mine has the Saturday before Memorial Day every year.....here is my recipe, there is allot of leeway in my recipe, and I use any green I can get my hands on, but below are my favorites.

                                  I like to take 50% Collards, 25% Kale, 25% Turnip, clean em up real good.

                                  Make a stock with some water, three or four hocks, some red pepper flakes, a couple good glugs of Frank's, a little salt, a couple cloves of crushed garlic, and maybe just a little chicken stock if I have it. Let the stock cook, for at least two hours before putting the greens in, adding a bit more water as it cooks down. I remove the hocks and strip the meat to add later after the greens have cooked.

                                  I always do the standard trimming, removing the tough stems and such, then I roll the greens up together and chop them a bit. The stuff as manny as I can into the pot, cooking them down until I get them all in the stock, then let it cook for as long as you want, I almost always let them go for at least an hour or so, tasting them until they are done to my liking.
                                   
                                  #17
                                    dickestep

                                    • Total Posts: 533
                                    • Joined: 3/11/2007
                                    • Location: Bacliff, TX
                                    RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale Fri, 03/23/07 9:10 AM (permalink)
                                    Your methods sound good to go, Rebeltruce! I love turnips best, but switch off on mustard and collards. The hocks are good in them, but I'll sure settle for a couple of pounds of good andouille or other smoked sausage, if I don't have them.


                                     
                                    #18
                                      genewj

                                      • Total Posts: 370
                                      • Joined: 9/2/2006
                                      • Location: Bradenton, FL
                                      RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale Fri, 03/23/07 10:25 AM (permalink)
                                      When we had our series of Italian fine food restaurants I used to make wedding soupa with escarole..
                                       
                                      #19
                                        BunglingBill

                                        • Total Posts: 218
                                        • Joined: 3/16/2007
                                        • Location: Nashville, TN
                                        RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale Fri, 03/23/07 2:02 PM (permalink)
                                        Let me tell you about another ingredient that REALLY makes leaf greens special . . . Spring Vidalia Onions.

                                        They are now available in many larger supermarkets. Basically, they are Vidalia onions in their "green onion" stage, the bulb about the size of a golf ball, and the green tops a bit more stout than your "regular" green onion.

                                        Sometimes, they are a bit pricey (because they are "trendy" I suppose), but they are well worth the price in my opinion.

                                        Coarsely chop the bulbs into your greens during cooking. You can add the chopped "tops" to the cooking greens, or ... as I prefer to do ... serve them on the side, splashed with a bit of cider vinegar, and used as a topping.

                                        Enjoy!
                                         
                                        #20
                                          rebeltruce

                                          • Total Posts: 698
                                          • Joined: 9/8/2006
                                          • Location: Culpeper, VA
                                          RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale Fri, 03/23/07 2:54 PM (permalink)
                                          quote:
                                          Originally posted by BunglingBill

                                          Let me tell you about another ingredient that REALLY makes leaf greens special . . . Spring Vidalia Onions.

                                          They are now available in many larger supermarkets. Basically, they are Vidalia onions in their "green onion" stage, the bulb about the size of a golf ball, and the green tops a bit more stout than your "regular" green onion.

                                          Sometimes, they are a bit pricey (because they are "trendy" I suppose), but they are well worth the price in my opinion.

                                          Coarsely chop the bulbs into your greens during cooking. You can add the chopped "tops" to the cooking greens, or ... as I prefer to do ... serve them on the side, splashed with a bit of cider vinegar, and used as a topping.

                                          Enjoy!


                                          Bill,

                                          I love these baby Vidalia's to! I haven't ever used them in greens, but man o man does that sound good!

                                          I saw some at the store just the other day, but forgot to grab a bunch or two. Will check this weekend, and if there are any left they will be mine!
                                           
                                          #21
                                            Rusty246

                                            • Total Posts: 2413
                                            • Joined: 7/15/2003
                                            • Location: Newberry, FL
                                            RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale Fri, 03/23/07 3:25 PM (permalink)
                                            Mustards first, Collards second. Simmer the ham hocks in water while your washing your greens, cook greens till tender, serve with BUTTERMILK cornbread and homemade hot vinegar sauce. My that sounds so good. A nice bowl of pintos with thick broth to go along side if you wanna get serious!
                                             
                                            #22
                                              MikeS.

                                              • Total Posts: 5357
                                              • Joined: 7/1/2003
                                              • Location: FarEasternPanhandle, WV
                                              • Roadfood Insider
                                              RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale Fri, 03/23/07 6:26 PM (permalink)
                                              quote:
                                              Originally posted by dickestep

                                              quote:
                                              Originally posted by genewj

                                              We serve MEALS in the evening in a border Black area of town. Collard greens with Smoked Hog necks,hot sauce. Blackeyed Peas, yellow rice,Corn bread and macaroni and cheese..Basic meats are Chicken and BBQ Ribs with the third being Stew Beef..It works and we are constantly making collard greens and corn bread and macaroni and cheese..my 2 bits

                                              You know, it was 1965 at Lackland Air Force Base in San Antonio I was first told that sort of foods were soul food. I'd been eating them all my life without being aware they were associated with any particular ethnicity. My Mom was also careful to train us to recognise and prepare Poke Salat, as well as other wild edibles. It's all good food to me.


                                              Dick, too funny! I grew up eating the same foods and always laughed when I heard it called Soul food. It was just good home cooking. I love all the greens with a spicy vinegar.
                                               
                                              #23
                                                fabulousoyster

                                                • Total Posts: 1855
                                                • Joined: 11/17/2005
                                                • Location: new york, NY
                                                RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale Fri, 03/23/07 7:16 PM (permalink)
                                                Kale steamed 10 minutes, butter, salt, pepper.
                                                 
                                                #24
                                                  dickestep

                                                  • Total Posts: 533
                                                  • Joined: 3/11/2007
                                                  • Location: Bacliff, TX
                                                  RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale Fri, 03/23/07 7:31 PM (permalink)
                                                  quote:
                                                  Originally posted by BunglingBill

                                                  Let me tell you about another ingredient that REALLY makes leaf greens special . . . Spring Vidalia Onions.

                                                  They are now available in many larger supermarkets. Basically, they are Vidalia onions in their "green onion" stage, the bulb about the size of a golf ball, and the green tops a bit more stout than your "regular" green onion.

                                                  Sometimes, they are a bit pricey (because they are "trendy" I suppose), but they are well worth the price in my opinion.

                                                  Coarsely chop the bulbs into your greens during cooking. You can add the chopped "tops" to the cooking greens, or ... as I prefer to do ... serve them on the side, splashed with a bit of cider vinegar, and used as a topping.

                                                  Enjoy!

                                                  Bill, I do usually include an onion and some garlic cloves in my green's pot likker. Your baby Vidalias reminded me of something else I've enjoyed many times in the past.
                                                  I'd clean up a batch or two of green onions, and baby carrots, then include them in a bowl of Lil Smokies sausages. Pour half and half boiling white vinegar and water over this, cool, and refrigerate. This makes for some fine munching with greens, beans, or whatever.
                                                   
                                                  #25
                                                    dickestep

                                                    • Total Posts: 533
                                                    • Joined: 3/11/2007
                                                    • Location: Bacliff, TX
                                                    RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale Fri, 03/23/07 7:38 PM (permalink)
                                                    quote:
                                                    Originally posted by Rusty246

                                                    Mustards first, Collards second. Simmer the ham hocks in water while your washing your greens, cook greens till tender, serve with BUTTERMILK cornbread and homemade hot vinegar sauce. My that sounds so good. A nice bowl of pintos with thick broth to go along side if you wanna get serious!

                                                    Greens and beans go together so wonderfully, don't they? Add that cornbread and I could live on them alone for months, and have at times in my life.
                                                     
                                                    #26
                                                      dickestep

                                                      • Total Posts: 533
                                                      • Joined: 3/11/2007
                                                      • Location: Bacliff, TX
                                                      RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale Fri, 03/23/07 7:49 PM (permalink)
                                                      quote:
                                                      Originally posted by MikeS.


                                                      Dick, too funny! I grew up eating the same foods and always laughed when I heard it called Soul food. It was just good home cooking. I love all the greens with a spicy vinegar.

                                                      Yeppers, I can recall times when we were shrimping and ate fried, boiled, broiled, baked, and barbecued seafoods because they were easily available. I'd get hungry for some soul food!
                                                       
                                                      #27
                                                        BunglingBill

                                                        • Total Posts: 218
                                                        • Joined: 3/16/2007
                                                        • Location: Nashville, TN
                                                        RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale Sat, 03/24/07 7:19 AM (permalink)
                                                        quote:

                                                        Bill, I do usually include an onion and some garlic cloves in my green's pot likker. Your baby Vidalias reminded me of something else I've enjoyed many times in the past.
                                                        I'd clean up a batch or two of green onions, and baby carrots, then include them in a bowl of Lil Smokies sausages. Pour half and half boiling white vinegar and water over this, cool, and refrigerate. This makes for some fine munching with greens, beans, or whatever.


                                                        That sounds interesting. Will give it a try. Thanks.
                                                         
                                                        #28
                                                          Rick F.

                                                          • Total Posts: 1736
                                                          • Joined: 8/16/2002
                                                          • Location: Natchitoches, LA
                                                          RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale Sat, 03/24/07 8:02 AM (permalink)
                                                          quote:
                                                          Originally posted by dickestep

                                                          What are your favorite greens? . . . . I had some room for a garden out in front where I raked back the mulch and broadcast four ounces each of mustard, collard, and turnip seed. A month later I could pick a big sack of greens in the morning before I left for work.
                                                          I love it when you talk dirty! Some people make the mistake of equating "greens" with "green vegetables." Bad mistake: green vegetables are simply spoiled cow food. Greens, on the other hand are the quintessence of ambrosial sustenance.

                                                          Bless, as Tennessee Ernie often said, yo' pea-pickin' little hearts.
                                                           
                                                          #29
                                                            dickestep

                                                            • Total Posts: 533
                                                            • Joined: 3/11/2007
                                                            • Location: Bacliff, TX
                                                            RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale Sat, 03/24/07 8:52 AM (permalink)
                                                            quote:
                                                            Originally posted by BunglingBill



                                                            quote:

                                                            Bill, I do usually include an onion and some garlic cloves in my green's pot likker. Your baby Vidalias reminded me of something else I've enjoyed many times in the past.
                                                            I'd clean up a batch or two of green onions, and baby carrots, then include them in a bowl of Lil Smokies sausages. Pour half and half boiling white vinegar and water over this, cool, and refrigerate. This makes for some fine munching with greens, beans, or whatever.


                                                            That sound interesting. Will give it a try. Thanks.
                                                            Bill, I should have noted this should be allowed to age at least a day. It will then last a long time in the fridge.
                                                             
                                                            #30
                                                              Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 1234 > | Showing page 1 of 4, messages 1 to 30 of 95

                                                              Jump to:

                                                              Current active users

                                                              There are 0 members and 1 guests.

                                                              Icon Legend and Permission

                                                              • New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

                                                              2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com