Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale

Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Author
dickestep
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 533
2007/03/21 21:21:46 (permalink)

Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale

What are your favorite greens? I love them all. I loved living in East Texas where I had a house on top of a sand hill which was almost totally covered with pines and oaks.
I had some room for a garden out in front where I raked back the mulch and broadcast four ounces each of mustard, collard, and turnip seed. A month later I could pick a big sack of greens in the morning before I left for work. I can make a meal off them and a skillet of corn bread. Do you have a favorite?

94 Replies Related Threads

BhamBabe
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 879
    RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/03/22 03:07:31 (permalink)
    Turnip greens by themselves, collards by themselves or a mixture of turnips and collards together. I adore boiled cabbage, wilted cabbage and coleslaw.

The turnips are cooked with salt pork, the collards with a hamhock, jalapeno peppers or banana peppers. Of course vinegar sauce on the side.

I have to have cornbread as well for the pot likker. I have to make sure I don't cook more turnips than is humanly possible to ingest because I can seriously eat them beyond what is comforable. Add butterbeans and potato salad and that's my favorite meal.
    dickestep
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/03/22 09:09:15 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BhamBabe

Turnip greens by themselves, collards by themselves or a mixture of turnips and collards together. I adore boiled cabbage, wilted cabbage and coleslaw.

The turnips are cooked with salt pork, the collards with a hamhock, jalapeno peppers or banana peppers. Of course vinegar sauce on the side.

I have to have cornbread as well for the pot likker. I have to make sure I don't cook more turnips than is humanly possible to ingest because I can seriously eat them beyond what is comforable. Add butterbeans and potato salad and that's my favorite meal.
    Mmm, mmm, mmm. BhamBabe, it would not do for you and me to get together eating greens and cornbread. We might create a vaccuum and upset the balance of the galaxy! Please stay tuned and I'll post how I cook skillet fried scalloped turnips.
    BunglingBill
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 218
    RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/03/22 09:22:20 (permalink)
    Like you, dickestep, I love 'em all. But collard greens are my hands-down favorite when cooked properly and served with hot, buttered cornbread and TexasPete pepper sauce. Don't get no better than that!
    Pat T Hat
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 968
    RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/03/22 10:04:16 (permalink)
    Oh yes please!
    With smoked hocks or jowl and crumbled pickled egg and a splash of vinegar or even pickle juice.
    I like crispy bacon too. In it, on it, anywhere around it!
    I want those butter beans on the side as well.

Warning...I'll fight if I have to for a ham hock!
    Art Deco
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 890
    RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/03/22 10:35:05 (permalink)
    Mixture of freshly-picked, not-too-large turnip, mustard & kale greens in a roughly 40/40/20 ratio...
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/03/22 19:20:31 (permalink)
    You folks seem to have this area well covered so far. Greens wise... Although "cabbage" technically does not fit in here,; no complaints from me.
    Space
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 78
    RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/03/22 23:22:56 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Pat T Hat

Oh yes please!
    With smoked hocks or jowl and crumbled pickled egg and a splash of vinegar or even pickle juice.

Now you're talking...a Space with any kind of greens is one happy Space. I tend to lean more towards collard greens, but I'll eat them all. Those of you in the Tampa Bay area like me probably know of Lee Roy Selmon's. It's a little overpriced and not quite worthy of being called Roadfood, but they have a side of mixed greens that's very addictive, in my ever so humble opinion.

The problem with where I am is that places that serve decent greens are scarce.
    dickestep
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/03/23 01:04:06 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BunglingBill

Like you, dickestep, I love 'em all. But collard greens are my hands-down favorite when cooked properly and served with hot, buttered cornbread and TexasPete pepper sauce. Don't get no better than that!

I loves me some collard greens, too, Bill. As I've said before in this forum, I think it's against the law in the South to serve them without corn bread. If not, it should be!
    dickestep
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/03/23 01:12:18 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Pat T Hat

Oh yes please!

Mmm, you're right about that vinegar or hot sauce. It's almost as necessary as the corn bread.
    dickestep
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/03/23 01:16:02 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by pogophiles

Mixture of freshly-picked, not-too-large turnip, mustard & kale greens in a roughly 40/40/20 ratio...

I like a combo sometimes, too. Damn, I'm going to have to cook a big batch!
    dickestep
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/03/23 01:26:58 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Adjudicator

You folks seem to have this area well covered so far. Greens wise... Although "cabbage" technically does not fit in here,; no complaints from me.

I agree with you there, Adjudicator. I love cabbage, but prefer collards, turnips, or mustard greens over them. I love spinach, too, but I've never had as good luck with growing it down here. I'll also go out of my way to use fresh spinach with salads. Mmm!
    genewj
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 370
    RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/03/23 05:28:15 (permalink)
    We serve MEALS in the evening in a border Black area of town. Collard greens with Smoked Hog necks,hot sauce. Blackeyed Peas, yellow rice,Corn bread and macaroni and cheese..Basic meats are Chicken and BBQ Ribs with the third being Stew Beef..It works and we are constantly making collard greens and corn bread and macaroni and cheese..my 2 bits
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7019
    RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/03/23 05:52:21 (permalink)
    We love all the above. And don't forget escarole in Wedding Soup. Another great green.
    dickestep
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/03/23 06:38:27 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by genewj

We serve MEALS in the evening in a border Black area of town. Collard greens with Smoked Hog necks,hot sauce. Blackeyed Peas, yellow rice,Corn bread and macaroni and cheese..Basic meats are Chicken and BBQ Ribs with the third being Stew Beef..It works and we are constantly making collard greens and corn bread and macaroni and cheese..my 2 bits

You know, it was 1965 at Lackland Air Force Base in San Antonio I was first told that sort of foods were soul food. I'd been eating them all my life without being aware they were associated with any particular ethnicity. My Mom was also careful to train us to recognise and prepare Poke Salat, as well as other wild edibles. It's all good food to me.
    dickestep
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/03/23 06:48:29 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by lleechef

We love all the above. And don't forget escarole in Wedding Soup. Another great green.
    Escarole is one green I've never tried. I'll try to remember to watch for it. Thank you.
    rebeltruce
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 702
    RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/03/23 07:05:41 (permalink)
    I love them all!

Let's not forget the lowly Dandelion greens....picked early in spring before they flower. Scald them in a sweet and sour white sauce, and serve them over plain old boiled potato's, top the potato's first with a little chopped raw onion, then smother the whole the whole plate with the greens and sauce! Of course a nice thick piece of fried ham goes along nicely!

Prior to my moving south over 20 years ago, Dandelion greens were about the only greens I had eaten cooked, besides spinach and swiss chard. Now I can't imagine life without greens and cornbread, I eat them every chance I get. It's become over the years, my duty to make a mess o greens for a big BBQ a friend of mine has the Saturday before Memorial Day every year.....here is my recipe, there is allot of leeway in my recipe, and I use any green I can get my hands on, but below are my favorites.

I like to take 50% Collards, 25% Kale, 25% Turnip, clean em up real good.

Make a stock with some water, three or four hocks, some red pepper flakes, a couple good glugs of Frank's, a little salt, a couple cloves of crushed garlic, and maybe just a little chicken stock if I have it. Let the stock cook, for at least two hours before putting the greens in, adding a bit more water as it cooks down. I remove the hocks and strip the meat to add later after the greens have cooked.

I always do the standard trimming, removing the tough stems and such, then I roll the greens up together and chop them a bit. The stuff as manny as I can into the pot, cooking them down until I get them all in the stock, then let it cook for as long as you want, I almost always let them go for at least an hour or so, tasting them until they are done to my liking.
    dickestep
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/03/23 09:10:03 (permalink)
    Your methods sound good to go, Rebeltruce! I love turnips best, but switch off on mustard and collards. The hocks are good in them, but I'll sure settle for a couple of pounds of good andouille or other smoked sausage, if I don't have them.

genewj
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 370
    RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/03/23 10:25:55 (permalink)
    When we had our series of Italian fine food restaurants I used to make wedding soupa with escarole..
    BunglingBill
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/03/23 14:02:27 (permalink)
    Let me tell you about another ingredient that REALLY makes leaf greens special . . . Spring Vidalia Onions.

They are now available in many larger supermarkets. Basically, they are Vidalia onions in their "green onion" stage, the bulb about the size of a golf ball, and the green tops a bit more stout than your "regular" green onion.

Sometimes, they are a bit pricey (because they are "trendy" I suppose), but they are well worth the price in my opinion.

Coarsely chop the bulbs into your greens during cooking. You can add the chopped "tops" to the cooking greens, or ... as I prefer to do ... serve them on the side, splashed with a bit of cider vinegar, and used as a topping.

Enjoy!
    rebeltruce
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 702
    RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/03/23 14:54:04 (permalink)
    quote:

Let me tell you about another ingredient that REALLY makes leaf greens special . . . Spring Vidalia Onions.

They are now available in many larger supermarkets. Basically, they are Vidalia onions in their "green onion" stage, the bulb about the size of a golf ball, and the green tops a bit more stout than your "regular" green onion.

Sometimes, they are a bit pricey (because they are "trendy" I suppose), but they are well worth the price in my opinion.

Coarsely chop the bulbs into your greens during cooking. You can add the chopped "tops" to the cooking greens, or ... as I prefer to do ... serve them on the side, splashed with a bit of cider vinegar, and used as a topping.

Enjoy!

Bill,

I love these baby Vidalia's to! I haven't ever used them in greens, but man o man does that sound good!

I saw some at the store just the other day, but forgot to grab a bunch or two. Will check this weekend, and if there are any left they will be mine!
    Rusty246
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2414
    RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/03/23 15:25:35 (permalink)
    Mustards first, Collards second. Simmer the ham hocks in water while your washing your greens, cook greens till tender, serve with BUTTERMILK cornbread and homemade hot vinegar sauce. My that sounds so good. A nice bowl of pintos with thick broth to go along side if you wanna get serious!
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5466
    RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/03/23 18:26:24 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by dickestep

quote:
    Originally posted by genewj

You know, it was 1965 at Lackland Air Force Base in San Antonio I was first told that sort of foods were soul food. I'd been eating them all my life without being aware they were associated with any particular ethnicity. My Mom was also careful to train us to recognise and prepare Poke Salat, as well as other wild edibles. It's all good food to me.

Dick, too funny! I grew up eating the same foods and always laughed when I heard it called Soul food. It was just good home cooking. I love all the greens with a spicy vinegar.
    fabulousoyster
    • Total Posts : 1855
    RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/03/23 19:16:12 (permalink)
    Kale steamed 10 minutes, butter, salt, pepper.
    dickestep
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/03/23 19:31:52 (permalink)
    quote:

Enjoy!

Bill, I do usually include an onion and some garlic cloves in my green's pot likker. Your baby Vidalias reminded me of something else I've enjoyed many times in the past.
    I'd clean up a batch or two of green onions, and baby carrots, then include them in a bowl of Lil Smokies sausages. Pour half and half boiling white vinegar and water over this, cool, and refrigerate. This makes for some fine munching with greens, beans, or whatever.
    dickestep
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/03/23 19:38:01 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Rusty246

Mustards first, Collards second. Simmer the ham hocks in water while your washing your greens, cook greens till tender, serve with BUTTERMILK cornbread and homemade hot vinegar sauce. My that sounds so good. A nice bowl of pintos with thick broth to go along side if you wanna get serious!

Greens and beans go together so wonderfully, don't they? Add that cornbread and I could live on them alone for months, and have at times in my life.
    dickestep
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/03/23 19:49:44 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MikeS.

Dick, too funny! I grew up eating the same foods and always laughed when I heard it called Soul food. It was just good home cooking. I love all the greens with a spicy vinegar.

Yeppers, I can recall times when we were shrimping and ate fried, boiled, broiled, baked, and barbecued seafoods because they were easily available. I'd get hungry for some soul food!
    BunglingBill
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/03/24 07:19:34 (permalink)
    quote:

Bill, I do usually include an onion and some garlic cloves in my green's pot likker. Your baby Vidalias reminded me of something else I've enjoyed many times in the past.
    I'd clean up a batch or two of green onions, and baby carrots, then include them in a bowl of Lil Smokies sausages. Pour half and half boiling white vinegar and water over this, cool, and refrigerate. This makes for some fine munching with greens, beans, or whatever.

That sounds interesting. Will give it a try. Thanks.
    Rick F.
    • Total Posts : 1736
    RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/03/24 08:02:22 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by dickestep

What are your favorite greens? . . . . I had some room for a garden out in front where I raked back the mulch and broadcast four ounces each of mustard, collard, and turnip seed. A month later I could pick a big sack of greens in the morning before I left for work.
    I love it when you talk dirty! Some people make the mistake of equating "greens" with "green vegetables." Bad mistake: green vegetables are simply spoiled cow food. Greens, on the other hand are the quintessence of ambrosial sustenance.

Bless, as Tennessee Ernie often said, yo' pea-pickin' little hearts.
    dickestep
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/03/24 08:52:16 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

That sound interesting. Will give it a try. Thanks.
    Bill, I should have noted this should be allowed to age at least a day. It will then last a long time in the fridge.
    Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1