Cabbage soup

Author
Vicmuson
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Joined: 2007/01/14 16:15:00
  • Location: SFr, CA
  • Status: offline
2007/01/14 16:44:32 (permalink)

Cabbage soup

Do you use cabbage when making soups? Any recipes? Thanks.
#1

25 Replies Related Threads

    Donna Douglass
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 508
    • Joined: 2000/08/22 16:52:00
    • Location: Columbus, OH
    • Status: offline
    RE: Cabbage soup 2007/01/14 17:00:32 (permalink)
    I have no recipe as such, just throw in cabbage if I have it, to whatever soup I might be making which would look kindly upon the addition of cabbage. I love cabbage snd truly like the "diet" cabbage soup that was the rage back in the 90s. I loved that soup whether it was good for a diet or not. I thought it was good and handy to have on hand for quick meals.

    Use your imagination if you like cabbage.

    Donna
    #2
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    • Joined: 2005/08/15 16:17:00
    • Location: columbus, oh
    • Status: offline
    RE: Cabbage soup 2007/01/15 03:08:42 (permalink)
    I love cabbage in most soups I make.
    I always add cabbage to my chicken noodle, and any other soup that I think it will fit into....
    I posted a real nice recipe for Stuffed Cabbage soup that was sent to me by a roadfood member last year.
    I posted it, and cannot find it.
    It is basically like stuffed cabbage, and it rocks.
    I tried the search button, and couldnt find it.
    Can someone help find that recipe that I posted?
    Thanks......
    Tara
    #3
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5432
    • Joined: 2003/07/01 01:25:00
    • Location: FarEasternPanhandle, WV
    • Status: offline
    RE: Cabbage soup 2007/01/15 04:27:04 (permalink)
    roossy90, I spent 30+ minutes searching and I couldn't find it either, sorry.

    MikeS.
    #4
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    • Joined: 2005/08/15 16:17:00
    • Location: columbus, oh
    • Status: offline
    RE: Cabbage soup 2007/01/15 17:41:49 (permalink)
    I think a couple other members saw that post and were going to try it..
    It is driving me crazy trying to find it. I have a feeling it was part of a topic started by a banned member, and thats why.
    Thanks anyway MikeS!
    I will dig thru my recipe box for it instead.
    (that could take a week or so)
    #5
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    • Joined: 2006/01/13 11:23:00
    • Location: Dallas... DFW area
    • Status: offline
    RE: Cabbage soup 2007/01/16 10:30:57 (permalink)
    Yes, that was a good gabbage thread! I may have posted this there but I make cabbage soup with Itialan sausage, onions, and bell pepper. I call it cabbage rolls unroled. Oh, I forgot the Ragu sauce! I know, I know, I use to many cooking short cuts.

    The search here has been kinda hit and miss. Somethimes I am able to find things that don't show up on the search here, from a google. I did a thread about the search with examples I found.
    Joe
    #6
    BakersBoy
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 302
    • Joined: 2004/03/13 11:57:00
    • Location: Annapolis, MD
    • Status: offline
    RE: Cabbage soup 2007/01/16 11:02:41 (permalink)
    You might want to try this:

    http://www.recipezaar.com/73020.

    I have not tried it but it looks good.

    BB
    #7
    Rusty246
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2414
    • Joined: 2003/07/15 14:43:00
    • Location: Newberry, FL
    • Status: offline
    RE: Cabbage soup 2007/01/16 11:44:18 (permalink)
    I make a cabbage beef soup.

    1 lb ground beef
    1 large onion, chopped
    1 c water
    1 can(15 oz)each dark and light kidney beans
    1 15oz can tomatoes(I prefer the whole and quarter these)
    1 sm/med head cabbage, chopped
    1 48oz can tomato or V8 juice
    2 bay leaves
    2 t basil
    S & P to taste

    Place ground beef and onion in dutch oven. Brown meat, drain. return to duch oven and add remaining ingredients. Simmer 45 minutes.
    Adding beef soup bones(I've used 2)while simmering makes for a richer stock.

    I made this last week and ate nearly teh whole pot.
    #8
    shen
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 150
    • Joined: 2004/05/26 10:28:00
    • Location: New York, NY
    • Status: offline
    RE: Cabbage soup 2007/01/16 11:48:26 (permalink)
    Head of cabbage
    flanken (short ribs)
    onion
    can of tomato sauce
    water
    large bag of sauerkraut
    salt pepper

    thats it...brown meat first. Grandmas jewish recipie
    #9
    efuery
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 630
    • Joined: 2003/12/23 12:31:00
    • Location: Danbury, CT
    • Status: offline
    RE: Cabbage soup 2007/01/16 11:53:48 (permalink)
    Here's my cabbage soup recipe - I love it on those cold winter days. No measurements though - I eyeball everything, sorry.

    saute together chopped onion, celery, and italian sausange until onions are translucent and sausage is browned. Add 2 large cans of tomato sauce, oregano and basil to taste (shortcut - use a jar of premade spaghetti sauce) and a bottle of apple juice. Add sliced carrots and chopped cabbage and simmer until cabbage is soft. YUMMY!
    #10
    Rusty246
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2414
    • Joined: 2003/07/15 14:43:00
    • Location: Newberry, FL
    • Status: offline
    RE: Cabbage soup 2007/01/16 12:02:22 (permalink)
    Originally posted by roossy90

    I love cabbage in most soups I make.
    I always add cabbage to my chicken noodle, and any other soup that I think it will fit into....
    I posted a real nice recipe for Stuffed Cabbage soup that was sent to me by a roadfood member last year.
    I posted it, and cannot find it.
    It is basically like stuffed cabbage, and it rocks.
    I tried the search button, and couldnt find it.
    Can someone help find that recipe that I posted?
    Thanks......
    Tara




    Roosy:

    You posted this on 10/31/06(I printed it out!)

    Cabbage Roll Soup

    2 lbs ground beef
    2 large onions
    Brown the above and drain well
    Add to the above:

    1 lbs cabbage chopped
    1/2 c white sugar
    1/4 c lemon juice
    14 oz can beef broth
    2 large cans tomato sauce
    1 large can diced tomatoes
    2 large cans water
    1/2 - 3/4 c of white rice

    Bring all to a boil and simmer until rice an cabbage are done. This makes alot of soup, but then you can freeze it.

    (previously typed in all caps)
    #11
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    • Joined: 2005/08/15 16:17:00
    • Location: columbus, oh
    • Status: offline
    RE: Cabbage soup 2007/01/16 15:48:20 (permalink)
    Oh Rusty,
    Thanks sooooo very much.
    Now I will make sure that I print it out again, as I looked in my recipe box, and could not find it!
    Tara
    #12
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    • Joined: 2006/01/13 11:23:00
    • Location: Dallas... DFW area
    • Status: offline
    RE: Cabbage soup 2007/01/17 10:25:39 (permalink)
    Looks good! I might try that lemon juice next time.

    I almost forgot, I use Rotel tomatoes sometimes, the Italian or the regular. I do cabbage soup kinda like I do chili, try different things.
    Joe
    #13
    6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    • Joined: 2004/01/28 02:03:00
    • Location: West Peoria, IL
    • Status: offline
    RE: Cabbage soup 2007/01/17 11:02:05 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by roossy90

    I think a couple other members saw that post and were going to try it..
    It is driving me crazy trying to find it. I have a feeling it was part of a topic started by a banned member, and thats why.
    Thanks anyway MikeS!
    I will dig thru my recipe box for it instead.
    (that could take a week or so)

    Your original recipe is still around. (It hasn't been banned.) I thought I remembered which thread it was posted on, and I did. It is at http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14645&whichpage=5 Sometimes I think the search function gets lost trying to search recipes, as I have had problems before with it. If you search "Match exact phrase" for "Cabbage Roll Soup" in "Recipes & Cooking Techniques" it says No Matches Found, even though that is where the recipe is!
    #14
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    • Joined: 2006/01/13 11:23:00
    • Location: Dallas... DFW area
    • Status: offline
    RE: Cabbage soup 2007/01/17 12:36:46 (permalink)
    6star, Good job! I can usually find stuff here with a google but not this time. I can't remember the words I used now. I do wish we could figure out why some things get lost from the search here. I did a "search" thread in the misc section if anyone knows anything.
    Joe
    #15
    dancinhomer
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 32
    • Joined: 2006/06/06 17:21:00
    • Location: tulsa, OK
    • Status: offline
    RE: Cabbage soup 2007/01/17 12:59:15 (permalink)
    Take your cabbage, put it in a crock pot
    Throw in one chopped onion
    Put in about half a pound of ground beef or ground turkey
    Add some frozen mixed veggies
    One can V-8 or tomato soup


    And let that bad boy stew for 8 hours. Delish!
    #16
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    • Joined: 2006/01/13 11:23:00
    • Location: Dallas... DFW area
    • Status: offline
    RE: Cabbage soup 2007/01/17 13:21:24 (permalink)
    Dancinhomer, welcome to Roadfood! Now thats my kinda cookin. I used to use V-8 for lotsa stuff. Maybe I should use it more.
    Joe
    #17
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    • Joined: 2005/08/15 16:17:00
    • Location: columbus, oh
    • Status: offline
    RE: Cabbage soup 2007/01/17 15:18:54 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by 6star

    quote:
    Originally posted by roossy90

    I think a couple other members saw that post and were going to try it..
    It is driving me crazy trying to find it. I have a feeling it was part of a topic started by a banned member, and thats why.
    Thanks anyway MikeS!
    I will dig thru my recipe box for it instead.
    (that could take a week or so)

    Your original recipe is still around. (It hasn't been banned.) I thought I remembered which thread it was posted on, and I did. It is at http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14645&whichpage=5 Sometimes I think the search function gets lost trying to search recipes, as I have had problems before with it. If you search "Match exact phrase" for "Cabbage Roll Soup" in "Recipes & Cooking Techniques" it says No Matches Found, even though that is where the recipe is!

    Believe me.. I tried every single function on the search function and still couldnt come up with it.
    Same for other searches.
    #18
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    • Joined: 2006/01/13 11:23:00
    • Location: Dallas... DFW area
    • Status: offline
    RE: Cabbage soup 2007/01/17 15:29:52 (permalink)
    It's weird Roossy! No ryme or reason to it, that I can find. I keep thinking there might be a trick I am missing. [B)
    Joe
    #19
    soozycue520
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1031
    • Joined: 2006/06/16 00:00:00
    • Location: Cincinnati, OH
    • Status: offline
    RE: Cabbage soup 2007/01/17 16:54:20 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by dancinhomer

    Take your cabbage, put it in a crock pot
    Throw in one chopped onion
    Put in about half a pound of ground beef or ground turkey
    Add some frozen mixed veggies
    One can V-8 or tomato soup


    And let that bad boy stew for 8 hours. Delish!


    I do a vegetarian version with V-8, veggie stock, onions, cabbage, and any other veggies I have to throw in. Oh, and along with some spices, I add a handful of crushed red pepper, for a kick. Good stuff!!! Sometimes I use the spicy V-8, as well.
    #20
    CasperImproved
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 59
    • Joined: 2005/12/14 20:06:00
    • Location: MI, USA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Cabbage soup 2007/01/20 17:59:46 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Rusty246

    I make a cabbage beef soup.

    1 lb ground beef
    1 large onion, chopped
    1 c water
    1 can(15 oz)each dark and light kidney beans
    1 15oz can tomatoes(I prefer the whole and quarter these)
    1 sm/med head cabbage, chopped
    1 48oz can tomato or V8 juice
    2 bay leaves
    2 t basil
    S & P to taste

    Place ground beef and onion in dutch oven. Brown meat, drain. return to duch oven and add remaining ingredients. Simmer 45 minutes.
    Adding beef soup bones(I've used 2)while simmering makes for a richer stock.

    I made this last week and ate nearly teh whole pot.


    Thanks Rusty... comitted to the recipe directory. ;-)
    #21
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    • Joined: 2005/08/15 16:17:00
    • Location: columbus, oh
    • Status: offline
    RE: Cabbage soup 2007/01/24 13:21:01 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BakersBoy

    You might want to try this:

    http://www.recipezaar.com/73020.

    I have not tried it but it looks good.

    BB


    Doesnt link for me.....
    #22
    Rusty246
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2414
    • Joined: 2003/07/15 14:43:00
    • Location: Newberry, FL
    • Status: offline
    RE: Cabbage soup 2007/01/24 13:34:44 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by roossy90

    quote:
    Originally posted by BakersBoy

    You might want to try this:

    http://www.recipezaar.com/73020.

    I have not tried it but it looks good.

    BB


    Doesnt link for me.....

    Did you get the "this page not found"? If so, where the recipezaar is in red, click that one and it goes.
    #23
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    • Joined: 2005/08/15 16:17:00
    • Location: columbus, oh
    • Status: offline
    RE: Cabbage soup 2007/01/25 23:19:25 (permalink)
    I thought it was going to be a direct link to a specific recipe. There are so many, I have no clue which one was being referred to.
    Bakereboy, help me out here..
    Which recipe is it?
    #24
    6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    • Joined: 2004/01/28 02:03:00
    • Location: West Peoria, IL
    • Status: offline
    RE: Cabbage soup 2007/01/26 00:02:03 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by roossy90

    I thought it was going to be a direct link to a specific recipe. There are so many, I have no clue which one was being referred to.
    Bakereboy, help me out here..
    Which recipe is it?


    Just type in the 73020 in the "search" at the top of the Recipezaar page, hit "go" and it goes right to the recipe.
    #25
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    • Joined: 2005/08/15 16:17:00
    • Location: columbus, oh
    • Status: offline
    RE: Cabbage soup 2007/01/28 18:03:17 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by 6star

    quote:
    Originally posted by roossy90

    I thought it was going to be a direct link to a specific recipe. There are so many, I have no clue which one was being referred to.
    Bakereboy, help me out here..
    Which recipe is it?


    Just type in the 73020 in the "search" at the top of the Recipezaar page, hit "go" and it goes right to the recipe.

    Thanks.....
    #26
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1