Cafe Indiana

Author
gregsgoatfarm
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 54
2007/09/08 20:55:53 (permalink)

Cafe Indiana

Those familiar with Joanne Stuttgen's book "Cafe Wisconsin" will be pleased to know that her newest book, "Cafe Indiana", was just published this past week. Those of you who aren't and just like good Hoosier home-style cooking, will be delighted with the finds she has unearthed in this collection. As a lifelong Hoosier I knew nothing of her other works and just discovered this one last night at a signing she had at the local Monrovia, IN, Festival. In the book she features 64 small-town cafes and gives brief synopses of over 100 more. Her standards are high, and I wouldn't hesitate to eat at any cafe that made the cut. As a matter of fact I have eaten at several. I've managed about 75 pages of this 286 page tome; and it's easy reading, entertaining and informative. Highly recommended.

Published by The University of Wisconsin Press
www.wisc.edu/wisconsinpress/

Greg

15 Replies Related Threads

Louis
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 725
    RE: Cafe Indiana 2007/09/08 21:50:22 (permalink)
    I'll have to look into this.

Here is a better link for those who are interested:

http://www.wisc.edu/wisconsinpress/books/3689.htm
    gregsgoatfarm
    Hamburger
    RE: Cafe Indiana 2007/09/08 22:09:40 (permalink)
    Thanks, Louis, for the precise link. I didn't actually go there - just got it off the inside jacket of this soft-bound tribute to the food of the smallest state west of the Appalachians. Too busy reading about all those breaded tenderloins, chicken and dumplings, ham and beans, pineapple/marshmallow/cheese salad, sugar cream pie, etc. You get the picture.

Greg
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10074
    RE: Cafe Indiana 2007/09/10 11:15:45 (permalink)
    Greg-
    Thanks for the tip on the book! It looks right up my alley. Since I have a birthday coming up, I have told one sibling to get me the Cafe Indiana book and the other to get me the Cafe Wisconsin book.

Once I receive them, I will let you know what I think.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15183
    RE: Cafe Indiana 2007/09/10 12:00:06 (permalink)

This sure sounds like a great addition to the library. Thank you for the tip and the link to the review!!
    jimcor
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 148
    RE: Cafe Indiana 2007/09/14 17:18:13 (permalink)
    Ohmigawd!!! She didn't give away the secret of the Green Bean State Caserole did she??? If she did there'll be no more church group pot lucks for her!
    dug
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 213
    RE: Cafe Indiana 2007/09/14 18:04:53 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jimcor

Ohmigawd!!! She didn't give away the secret of the Green Bean State Caserole did she??? If she did there'll be no more church group pot lucks for her!

you're hysterical!
    the beloved green bean casserole is probably the states most revered and sacred side dish[we speak of it in hushed tones].it's comforting and familiar presence is expected,almost de rigueur and no event[thanksgiving,church social,funeral,hootenanny,cow tipping,barn raising,reception buffet or family reunion]would be complete without it.btw is that secret ingedient a splash of worchestershire sauce?perhaps i've said to much!
    as a proud hoosier i can't wait to get a copy of cafe indiana!
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6324
    RE: Cafe Indiana 2007/09/14 20:21:33 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by dug

quote:

you're hysterical!
    the beloved green bean casserole is probably the states most revered and sacred side dish[we speak of it in hushed tones].it's comforting and familiar presence is expected,almost de rigueur and no event[thanksgiving,church social,funeral,hootenanny,cow tipping,barn raising,reception buffet or family reunion]would be complete without it.btw is that secret ingedient a splash of worchestershire sauce?perhaps i've said to much!

Yeah, I had to get out of Indiana because of green bean casserole. So I ended up in Minnesota only to find out they call it hotdish.

I will have to get that book.
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    RE: Cafe Indiana 2007/09/14 21:02:06 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by dug

quote:

you're hysterical!

Yeah, I had to get out of Indiana because of green bean casserole. So I ended up in Minnesota only to find out they call it hotdish.

I will have to get that book.
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    RE: Cafe Indiana 2007/09/19 18:38:29 (permalink)
    I got the book, Cafe Indiana from Amazon.com today. While searching for it another book came up, Reid Duffy's Guide to Indiana's Favorite Restaurants. Cafe Indiana omits all of Indianapolis and most larger cities but I noticed Nick's Kitchen in Huntington got passed over. Between the two books (Duffy's is more all encompassing) Indiana should be covered but both missed The Red Onion in Sheridan.
    gregsgoatfarm
    Hamburger
    RE: Cafe Indiana 2007/09/20 19:34:54 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Davydd

I got the book, Cafe Indiana from Amazon.com today. While searching for it another book came up, Reid Duffy's Guide to Indiana's Favorite Restaurants. Cafe Indiana omits all of Indianapolis and most larger cities but I noticed Nick's Kitchen in Huntington got passed over. Between the two books (Duffy's is more all encompassing) Indiana should be covered but both missed The Red Onion in Sheridan.

I'm surprised that your search didn't include Wendell Trogdon's book
    http://www.wendelltrogdon.com/subsite/Book_Diners.htm .

It may not be timely, but Trogdon's writing is entertaining and insightful.

Greg

Davydd
    Sirloin
    RE: Cafe Indiana 2007/09/20 21:27:59 (permalink)
    Wendell Trogdon wrote 17 books! Interesting. Mainstreet Diners didn't show up when I checked Amazon.com because I was looking for Cafe Indiana and those words and somehow Duffy's book was included. I searched inside Mainstreet Diners in Amazon and pork tenderloin sandwich came up only once. That was a surprise. Also no mention of the oldest mainstreet cafe of all, Nick's Kitchen. The book is 7 years old. Would that be considered dated as far as restaurants go? I noticed that in Cafe Indiana several restaurants reviewed already had a slanted semi-transparent overprint of "CLOSED" over the review and the book just came out.
    dug
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 213
    RE: Cafe Indiana 2007/11/18 12:18:48 (permalink)
    perhaps this book would make a lovely holiday gift!
    thanks for the added info davydd.it saddens me to hear that many/any of these places have closed.
    honeycrystals
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Cafe Indiana 2007/12/18 01:18:53 (permalink)
    Hey, I got the book as a gift for a coworker and they are delighted, thanks for the suggestion!

folklorist
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Cafe Indiana 2008/01/19 14:12:35 (permalink)
    I'm sorry it took me so long to find your posts. I want to thank you for your comments about my new book, Cafe Indiana, and address a few comments left by Davydd. Nick's Kitchen in Huntington--said to be the home of the original Hoosier pork tenderloin--was left out because the book's focus is small towns with populations under 10,000. (There are a lot of folks who'd argue that a town that big is small!) Cafes whose stories are overstamped with CLOSED went out of business or changed hands during the time I was working on the book. The decision was made to include them because these stories deserved to be told. In one case, the owner sold her cafe after a 41-year ownership. In another, a cafe closed after more than 60 years on the courthouse square. Small town cafes change hands on average every five years, so those that endure past the decade mark are pretty unique. More than just a guide to favorite home-cooking spots across the state, Cafe Indiana is an ethnography of small towns that explores the troubles, challenges, triumphs, etc. of cafe owners and communities. By the way! Cafe Indiana was reviewed in the December issue of Bon Appetit magazine, which called it a "must-have guide for Hoosiers and visiting foodies . . . readers will be geared up for a food tour that's unlike any other." For a cross-cultural perspective, check out my Cafe Wisconsin (2004) and Cafe Wisconsin Cookbook (2007). So, to all of you: happy adventure eating in the Hoosier state.
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    RE: Cafe Indiana 2008/01/19 18:45:22 (permalink)
    folklorist,

Welcome to Roadfood.com and don't be a stranger. This place is exactly related to the kind of books you write. I maybe overlooked the part about small towns. I kind of gathered that when nothing in Marion County was mentioned, but yes, I do think of Huntington as a small town. Alas, my hometown of Speedway too is a tad over 10,000.
    I think the "Closed" overstrike only shows how tenuous and tough the cafe business can be if they can't survive yet earn mention in a book.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1