The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Cajun, Creole and Ozark Adventures with a Bite of the Bluff City and a Dash of the Delta

Change Page: < 123456 > | Showing page 5 of 6, messages 121 to 150 of 169
ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
Re:Cajun, Creole and Ozark Adventures with a Bite of the Bluff City and a Dash of the Del Tue, 03/20/12 8:27 PM (permalink)
What a fantastic report, and tie in to the Nasville story..........

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3699
    Re:Cajun, Creole and Ozark Adventures with a Bite of the Bluff City and a Dash of the Del Tue, 03/20/12 10:50 PM (permalink)
    There's no way that was real butter on that potato, was it? That looks like margarine - the coloring just didn't seem right. Why would you** do that to a perfectly good potato?

** Not "you," of course, but the people who made the potato.

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
      Re:Cajun, Creole and Ozark Adventures with a Bite of the Bluff City and a Dash of the Del Wed, 03/21/12 12:01 AM (permalink)
      I'm a little surprised you didn't stop at the Clinton library in Little Rock. As always, I am enjoying reading about your adventures and looking at your photos. It is always a treat when you share your adventures.

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7411
        • Roadfood Insider
        Re:Cajun, Creole and Ozark Adventures with a Bite of the Bluff City and a Dash of the Del Wed, 03/21/12 8:10 AM (permalink)
        Anne,
        The plan is I'll post photos for Nashville under the meet n greet thread. Then I"ll write up the conclusion under this trip report.

TTM

Your eyes deceive you, that certainly was  real authentic butter on that baker. Yes, lighting was certainly an issue- I probably should have used flash, especially after reviewing Michael Stern's photos- it appears they were all flash photos at Stubby's

Mr Chips

I thought about heading to the Clinton Library in the morning but it was such a beautiful day- unfortunately that was a rarity on this trip, so I opted to enjoy the outdoors.

Sundancer7

Re:Cajun, Creole and Ozark Adventures with a Bite of the Bluff City and a Dash of the Del Wed, 03/21/12 8:24 AM (permalink)
          Fortunately I was the recipient of the bottle of Stubby's BBQ sauce and WJ, please believe me, I put it to good use. 

I was also surprised that WJ did not visit the shoebox (Bill Clinton Library).  Architectually it was not very attractive although the visit was very nice.

Great write WJ:  I enjoyed each and every pic.

Paul E. Smith
          Knoxville, TN

buffetbuster

Re:Cajun, Creole and Ozark Adventures with a Bite of the Bluff City and a Dash of the Del Wed, 03/21/12 9:57 AM (permalink)
            When I ate at Franke's about a decade ago, it was located inside a downtown mall.  You seemed to enjoy your meal, but other than the pretty pie, the food doesn't look very appetizing.  Glad it tasted better.  I have never even seen corn pone before, but would like to try it.

As for Stubby's, oh baby!!!  So you are saying the ribs at Payne's were even better than at Stubby's?  Wow!  I really need to get to Payne's.  Have you been to McClard's, also in Hot Springs?  I would put both of them in my all-time top five for ribs.

Looking forward to more of this outstanding report.

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6259
              Re:Cajun, Creole and Ozark Adventures with a Bite of the Bluff City and a Dash of the Del Wed, 03/21/12 10:18 AM (permalink)
              Another beautiful trip report, Dale!

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                Re:Cajun, Creole and Ozark Adventures with a Bite of the Bluff City and a Dash of the Del Wed, 03/21/12 10:22 AM (permalink)
                Buffetbuster

The sides at Franke's are certainly not in the same category as Gray's
                The chicken and dumplings were very good (I've yet to see a sexy photo of chicken and dumplings) and the corn pone was interesting, it certainly isn't for everyone as it's cloddish, dense and very chewy, but I enjoyed it.

Yes, you heard correctly about  the ribs-  Payne's is once again my favorite bbq joint in Memphis. Stay tuned for the next chapter for my Payne's re-visit before heading to Nashville

Louis

• Total Posts: 714
                  Re:Cajun, Creole and Ozark Adventures with a Bite of the Bluff City and a Dash of the Del Wed, 03/21/12 5:25 PM (permalink)
                  Last summer I was holed up in the Arkansas state archives in Little Rock for three days and did nothing after work hours but run from the Peabody Hotel to Doe's Steak House.  But if I ever have to return, I'll keep this report in mind for future reference.

As to corn pone, I've read about it in books, but I've never seen it on a menu before.  So this will be another reason to venture into the state again.

As always, I enjoy the photographic composition of your trip--an even blend of both the food I can find and a glimpse of the local geography and assorted landmarks I could possibly encounter.

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                    Re:Cajun, Creole and Ozark Adventures with a Bite of the Bluff City and a Dash of the Del Wed, 03/21/12 7:20 PM (permalink)
                    Louis,

You must certainly try corn pone if you have the chance, I'm actually somewhat surprised that it's not as popular as I thought it would be. It appears Franke's Cafeteria has it on their regular daily menu. Truly a unique regional specialty.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9581
                      Re:Cajun, Creole and Ozark Adventures with a Bite of the Bluff City and a Dash of the Del Wed, 03/21/12 7:43 PM (permalink)
                      Corn Pone is easy to make:
                      SOUTHERN STYLE CORN PONE
                      Ingredients:

1/4 cup canola oil

1 1/2 cups white cornmeal

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

1 1/3 cups buttermilk

2 eggs

Directions:

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Place a 9 inch cast iron skillet on the center rack.

When the skillet is hot, carefully remove the skillet from the oven. Pour the canola oil into the skillet and gently swirl the pan to coat the bottom and the sides. Return the pan to the oven for ten minutes.

While the oil is heating, mix together the cornmeal and salt in a medium bowl. Add the eggs and buttermilk and mix together to make a thin batter.

Carefully pull out the rack with the cast iron skillet and pour the batter into the preheated skillet.

Bake the corn pone until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. If desired, turn the oven to broil for the last few minutes of baking to brown the top.

Remove the skillet from the oven and shake the pan to loosen the corn pone from the skillet. Serve the corn pone warm from the skillet or turn out onto a plate.

Serves 8

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                        Re:Cajun, Creole and Ozark Adventures with a Bite of the Bluff City and a Dash of the Del Wed, 03/21/12 7:47 PM (permalink)
                        Chapter 11- The Road to Nashville

Friday February 17

I'm not sure what came over me , but I decided to try a different coffee house this morning. River City Coffee and Cream in the Hillcrest neighborhood.  It's a cute place, but after one sip, no way- I'll finish the cup and head right back to Guillermo's which I visited the day before and boy am I glad I did.

I left Little Rock that morning, Mayor Al and Poverty Pete gave me an assignment to complete before heading to Nashville.

What is that assignment you ask?

Well. my assignment landed me here...

I completely over shot the place, went into town, almost out of town when I realize I must have missed it. I got directions at a convenience store, I was only about a mile away.

The Family Pie Shop 
                        in DeValls Bluff AR

I called the day before to order the pies. I spoke with the owner who told me that Chocolate and Coconut Cream would be available, (I got one of each)  oh and also apricot fried pies. (I got 1/2 a dozen)
                        Now. who were the pies for?
                        When I entered the pie shop, I got a kick out of this business card that was hanging on the clip board

Anyway, the pies were ready when I got there. 

I deliberately ordered an extra apricot fried pie for myself which I enjoyed eating in my rental car.

The warm flaky exterior  gives way to a filling that just screams pie heaven!

Now this is what a fried pie should look like.

When I first overshot the Family Pie Shop, i did notice this roadfood favorite to my right.

Now it would be a shame to come this far and not stop in

I ordered, just a pork sandwich and nothing else.

I believe my choice of sauce was mild, medium or hot- I chose medium. The bbq pork was sliced versus pulled or chopped. The almost orange sauce was quite tangy and seemed to go quite well with the creamy slaw. If I knew I didn't have have another stop, I would have ordered two.

I arrived in Memphis  just a little after noon time.
                        As promised I returned to 

Payne's Bar-B-Q
                        (photo taken the previous tuesday)
                        and they were not out of pork shoulder! 
                        The owner, Flora and her kids actually remembered me
                        Flora was nice enough to let me take her photo

and I got my jumbo pork sandwich

and it was simply outstanding- every bit as good as I remembered back in 2005.

I left  with a happy stomach

From here it's on the road to Nashville

I will post all the Nashville Photos on the glee club meet and greet thread starting next week. It won't be a trip report- just photos with commentary.

I will then post the short conclusion (after  Nashville) here on this report along with an epilogue and footnotes.

<message edited by wanderingjew on Thu, 03/22/12 8:07 AM>

ann peeples

Re:Cajun, Creole and Ozark Adventures with a Bite of the Bluff City and a Dash of the Del Wed, 03/21/12 8:31 PM (permalink)
                          Okay- we have to skip back and forth? LOL!

Sundancer7

Re:Cajun, Creole and Ozark Adventures with a Bite of the Bluff City and a Dash of the Del Wed, 03/21/12 8:40 PM (permalink)
                            Outstanding looking pie WJ and you are right.  Very flaky and great appearance.

Paul E. Smith
                            Knoxville, TN

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                              Re:Cajun, Creole and Ozark Adventures with a Bite of the Bluff City and a Dash of the Del Thu, 03/22/12 8:11 AM (permalink)
                              Ann

There really isn't much left to this report-just the drive back to Birmingham from Nashville and lunch  before returning to the airport.

It just makes sense to put all the Nasvhille stuff on the other thread.

buffetbuster

Re:Cajun, Creole and Ozark Adventures with a Bite of the Bluff City and a Dash of the Del Thu, 03/22/12 8:29 AM (permalink)
                                WJ, that photo of the jumbo pork sandwich from Payne's is nothing short of spectacular!  It is so good, I am barely paying any attention to the pie photos.

ann peeples

Re:Cajun, Creole and Ozark Adventures with a Bite of the Bluff City and a Dash of the Del Thu, 03/22/12 9:10 AM (permalink)
                                  I was just teasing you, Dale!

Louis

Re:Cajun, Creole and Ozark Adventures with a Bite of the Bluff City and a Dash of the Del Thu, 03/22/12 10:07 AM (permalink)
                                    Dale, at Craig's Bar-B-Q, you chose correctly as to which sauce to get.  The medium is perfect.  The mild sauce is disappointing, and the hot is too hot to eat.

Last summer I got two big jars of their medium sauce to go, and carried it in my car, first to Louisiana, and then back through the mid-South all the way to Virginia, before heading back home.  It held up well, and for the next month I was slathering it on Bon Ton Mini Mart pork chops for breakfast.

The pie I want to try at the Family Pie Shop is never being made whenever I've gone in there: Karo Syrup Pie.  I've tried for the last 20 years, but I've just never seem to hit them on a day when it's served.

<message edited by Louis on Thu, 03/22/12 9:08 PM>

buffetbuster

Re:Cajun, Creole and Ozark Adventures with a Bite of the Bluff City and a Dash of the Del Thu, 03/22/12 10:20 AM (permalink)
                                      Louis-
                                      I had no idea that Family Pie Shop even made Karo Syrup Pie.  I am a nut frowner, but I would still like to try that.  Maybe you should call ahead the next time you are passing through.

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                                        Re:Cajun, Creole and Ozark Adventures with a Bite of the Bluff City and a Dash of the Del Thu, 03/22/12 10:26 AM (permalink)
                                        Louis

Although I can picture TTM shrugging in disappointment, I agree with Buffetbuster
                                        absolutely call ahead and see when it will be available.  I regret not doing that during my trips last year to Penn Dutch Country and Iowa when I was in search of Chicken Corn Soup and Sour Cream Raisin Pie, respectively

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3699
                                          Re:Cajun, Creole and Ozark Adventures with a Bite of the Bluff City and a Dash of the Del Thu, 03/22/12 10:55 AM (permalink)
                                          What is this "calling ahead" of which you speak?

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                                            • Roadfood Insider
                                            Re:Cajun, Creole and Ozark Adventures with a Bite of the Bluff City and a Dash of the Del Thu, 03/22/12 1:06 PM (permalink)
                                            DALE

You are killing me... the hospital food sucked and now you are torturing me with your wonderful pre glee trip.  The food and scenery looks amazing.  I would love to get out that way again.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15075
                                              • Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                              • Roadfood Insider
                                              Re:Cajun, Creole and Ozark Adventures with a Bite of the Bluff City and a Dash of the Del Thu, 03/22/12 6:38 PM (permalink)
                                              Stubby's Ribs are great, and Your photo brings back memories of more than one stop there over the years! 
                                              The Pie Shop is another classic operated by folks who have always gone the extra mile to provide delicious treats to their customers. I will not forget picking up 3 pies at 5 AM one morning last year, for us to enjoy on our Texas hunting trip. They are super people !
                                              Looking forward to the grand finale !

wanderingjew

• Location: East Greenwich/ Warwick, RI
                                                • Roadfood Insider
                                                Re:Cajun, Creole and Ozark Adventures with a Bite of the Bluff City and a Dash of the Del Thu, 03/22/12 7:47 PM (permalink)
                                                Cajun KIng

I'll be happy to torture you knowing that you are out of the hospital and back on your feet.  

Al

Did you end up taking the chocolate pie or the coconut pie home?  I don't remember.

Louis

Re:Cajun, Creole and Ozark Adventures with a Bite of the Bluff City and a Dash of the Del Thu, 03/22/12 9:24 PM (permalink)
                                                  As to the Karo Syrup Pie, all I can tell you is that they had it on their menu board on the wall (written in chalk, as I remember).  This was on July 28, 2000.  I had never had that type of pie before, and I was so disappointed that they didn't have it that I made a note of it.  I've lucked out on the other times I've inquired about it since then.

This past summer I didn't stop at the Pie Shop.  (I was running late for my appointment and only had time to stop for a quick lunch at Craig's.)  However, I'll take your suggestion about calling ahead next time.

Texascajun

• Total Posts: 115
                                                    Re:Cajun, Creole and Ozark Adventures with a Bite of the Bluff City and a Dash of the Del Thu, 03/22/12 10:49 PM (permalink)
                                                    Wow the bbq sandwich looks great. More great pictures -- Thanks.

mikeam

• Total Posts: 192
                                                      Re:Cajun, Creole and Ozark Adventures with a Bite of the Bluff City and a Dash of the Del Thu, 03/22/12 11:00 PM (permalink)
                                                      I have really enjoyed this report. Thanks.

BigGlenn

Re:Cajun, Creole and Ozark Adventures with a Bite of the Bluff City and a Dash of the Del Fri, 03/23/12 5:38 AM (permalink)
                                                        I have a second cousin that works at War Eagle Mill. Her daughter is on the cover of their Catalog...While you were in Little rock you were 44 miles from Pine Bluff. Its well known for one of its famous sons........Me!..LOL I grew up there. I have ate at Stubbys in Hot Springs too. Surprised you didnt hit McClards? You brought back some fond memories on this trip.

wanderingjew

• Location: East Greenwich/ Warwick, RI
                                                          • Roadfood Insider
                                                          Re:Cajun, Creole and Ozark Adventures with a Bite of the Bluff City and a Dash of the Del Fri, 03/23/12 8:34 AM (permalink)
                                                          BigGlenn

Of course I remember that you're an Arkansas boy, I didn't know that you were from Pine Bluff. If I had an extra day in Hot Springs I would have checked out McClard's to compare it to Stubby's but I didn't have time for both, I enjoyed Stubby's so much on my last visit in 1999 that I had to return.

To answer your question from the other thread, the closest to the west coast I'll get  this year is Phoenix and Tucson in late April.  Long term plans, possibly a trip to San Francisco and the Pacific Northwest next year, that depends on finances because I know I have to consider next year's Glee Club trip, the new ballpark in Miami (with possibly a side trip toTampa/St Pete) and definitely a week long trip to Oklahoma and New Mexico. Other than that I don't see a trip back to Southern Cal anytime in the near future.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15075
                                                            • Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                                            • Roadfood Insider
                                                            Re:Cajun, Creole and Ozark Adventures with a Bite of the Bluff City and a Dash of the Del Fri, 03/23/12 12:24 PM (permalink)
                                                            Dale ,
                                                              I got the Coconut Cream !! The Chocolate was last seen on it's way to Birmingham , AL !!
                                                            Glenn, Nice to see  y0u on the site. it sure has been a long time since our Rancho Cucamonga Meeting. There are times when I miss the high desert very much (but not often !)

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 123456 > | Showing page 5 of 6, messages 121 to 150 of 169

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com