Cajun Maque Chou (Mock Shoe) /Smothered Corn

Author
cajun
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 25
2003/12/20 15:11:48 (permalink)

Cajun Maque Chou (Mock Shoe) /Smothered Corn

12 ears of tender fresh corn OR 3 cans drained whole kernal corn.
1 large chopped onion
1 green bell pepper (chopped)
1/4 cup rotel tomatoes
1 clove minced garlic
cooking oil
Seasoning

Cut corn off the cob and scrape cobs to get all the juice Or
in a large skillet, black pot,dutch oven. Add 3 tablespoons of cooking oil. Add 3 cans drained whole kernal corn or the corn you scraped. Add 1 chopped onion,and chopped bell pepper and garlic, Season to taste, but I like it hot. Cook on medium until corn starts to brown. Add a little water and rotel tomatoes. Cook down for about 30 minutes, Stirring often.
This is great with everything!!

9 Replies Related Threads

drchanterelle
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 95
    RE: Cajun Maque Chou (Mock Shoe) /Smothered Corn 2003/12/22 08:17:51 (permalink)
    Cajun,
    When I was a kid, my mother sealed my fate regarding corn when she declared it "a non-vegetable", and therefore inelegible to count toward a mealtime veggie - it automatically went to the top of my list. I love it in every form, but this dish is a special favorite. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Recently, our local discount grocery had some "Extra Hot Rotel", and I stocked up - truly great stuff. I've been using it to do Maque Chou in a somewhat shorter process than yours - I still "fry" the corn, but the only extra ingredient I use other than the Rotel is garlic. Once the corn is properly fried, I just pour in the Extra Hot Rotel, and it's got all those goodies already in it. One of my favorite personal comfort foods! jm
    cajun
    Junior Burger
    RE: Cajun Maque Chou (Mock Shoe) /Smothered Corn 2003/12/22 10:14:03 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by drchanterelle

Cajun,
    When I was a kid, my mother sealed my fate regarding corn when she declared it "a non-vegetable", and therefore inelegible to count toward a mealtime veggie - it automatically went to the top of my list. I love it in every form, but this dish is a special favorite. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Recently, our local discount grocery had some "Extra Hot Rotel", and I stocked up - truly great stuff. I've been using it to do Maque Chou in a somewhat shorter process than yours - I still "fry" the corn, but the only extra ingredient I use other than the Rotel is garlic. Once the corn is properly fried, I just pour in the Extra Hot Rotel, and it's got all those goodies already in it. One of my favorite personal comfort foods! jm
    Thanks for replying to my post, yes I use the extra hot version of rotel and even add extra red pepper. I didn't put that in the recipe because I don't want people trying this for the first time to get the inpression that cajun food is all about the heat. Its mostly about bringing out the flavor of every ingredient. Checkout my post about pork rib jambalaya. By the way when you see something called blackend, that ain't cajun thats burnt.
    M&M
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 106
    RE: Cajun Maque Chou (Mock Shoe) /Smothered Corn 2003/12/22 11:32:06 (permalink)
    Macque Choux is one of our favorites but we use bacon grease rather than cooking oil. We have shrimp macque choux at Jazz Fest every year. Very tasty.
    cajun
    Junior Burger
    RE: Cajun Maque Chou (Mock Shoe) /Smothered Corn 2003/12/26 06:31:47 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by M&M

Macque Choux is one of our favorites but we use bacon grease rather than cooking oil. We have shrimp macque choux at Jazz Fest every year. Very tasty.

Brown up a little choppped Andouille sausage in it, its great.
    JimInKy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 599
    RE: Cajun Maque Chou (Mock Shoe) /Smothered Corn 2003/12/26 07:28:27 (permalink)
    RO TEL canned tomatoes (tomatoes + chopped green chili peppers) are indeed wonderful. It took forever for these little cans to arrive on supermarket shelves in Kentucky.

A longtime sweetie showed me how to make a great baked fish entree using RO TEL. It's a pretty simple and easy-to-make dish that uses frozen filets of orange roughy. I think my friend created this recipe.

At any rate when she returns from holiday, I'll ask if she has it down on paper so I can share it here. I make it but don't trust my tendency with one ingredient. I should also invite her to name it, if it is her creation.

Besides being delicious, this dish is interesting for another reason. After trying it, people start serving it as a entree when entertaining guests for dinner. It's just that good and easy to make.

You can buy excellent frozen orange roughy in 10 or 12 pound bags at Sam's Clubs.
    cajun
    Junior Burger
    RE: Cajun Maque Chou (Mock Shoe) /Smothered Corn 2003/12/26 12:13:00 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by JimInKy

RO TEL canned tomatoes (tomatoes + chopped green chili peppers) are indeed wonderful. It took forever for these little cans to arrive on supermarket shelves in Kentucky.

A longtime sweetie showed me how to make a great baked fish entree using RO TEL. It's a pretty simple and easy-to-make dish that uses frozen filets of orange roughy. I think my friend created this recipe.

At any rate when she returns from holiday, I'll ask if she has it down on paper so I can share it here. I make it but don't trust my tendency with one ingredient. I should also invite her to name it, if it is her creation.

Besides being delicious, this dish is interesting for another reason. After trying it, people start serving it as a entree when entertaining guests for dinner. It's just that good and easy to make.

You can buy excellent frozen orange roughy in 10 or 12 pound bags at Sam's Clubs.

What is frozen orange roughly? I might know it by another name.
    JimInKy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 599
    RE: Cajun Maque Chou (Mock Shoe) /Smothered Corn 2003/12/26 23:11:21 (permalink)
    I've read that orange roughy in the states comes from New Zealand's fishery. The fish are probably flash frozen when caught. Since the fish is fairly inexpensive, it must be a plentiful in those waters.

I think orange roughy is delicious in the dish I use it for.

I'm not really a Sam's Club type (too large a quanity for one person), but orange roughy is one of the excellent products I buy there on semi annual visits. I recently noticed plastic bags of frozen orange roughy in some supermarkets.
    wesza
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 54
    RE: Cajun Maque Chou (Mock Shoe) /Smothered Corn 2003/12/27 01:29:43 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by JimInKy

I've read that orange roughy in the states comes from New Zealand's fishery. The fish are probably flash frozen when caught. Since the fish is fairly inexpensive, it must be a plentiful in those waters.

I think orange roughy is delicious in the dish I use it for.

I'm not really a Sam's Club type (too large a quanity for one person), but orange roughy is one of the excellent products I buy there on semi annual visits. I recently noticed plastic bags of frozen orange roughy in some supermarkets.

Orange Roughy is a very versitile type of fish caught in the Cold Pacific water adjacent to New Zealand and Australia.

It lends itself to freezing with little loss of flavor ot taste, plus it's even better when available fresh.

The fish has been marketed and imported since the mid 1980's first into Hawaii and Japan then thruout the States with success.

Previously it had been a under utilized species, coveted by the fisherman for it's delicate, sweet taste, but not marketed commercially. This was due to the fact that this fish when caught was "Ugly" and very slimy to handle.

It's common name was "Slime Head", since it's body surface had a slimy protective coating.

We felt that this was a very markatable fish, that would be best sold filet, and more important needed a mare acceptable name for purpose of sales. Somehow the suppliers came up with "Orange Roughy" that seems better then Slime Head for merchandising.

I felt that they should have used a more friendly name then anything with Orange, but it was sure better then the common name.

It's sure a better looking fish then the "Angler Fish", that very ugly but customers still buy it, at a premium price even though it's not as accepted as Orange Roughy.

Irwin
    PCC
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 111
    RE: Cajun Maque Chou (Mock Shoe) /Smothered Corn 2004/03/12 00:25:55 (permalink)
    I use basically the same recipe, but throw in 1/4 cup of half and half at the end. Sure is good, and everyone wants the recipe.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1