Cajun

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
EliseT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2880
RE: Cajun 2003/07/30 16:07:37 (permalink)
You know, in Spanish, MOSCA means FLY, which does not make "shrimp mosca" sound very appetizing to me.
Mayhaw Man
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 589
RE: Cajun 2003/07/31 00:51:11 (permalink)
Hillbilly,

I was seated in Mosca's one night when the real "family" showed up. The Little Tomato farmer, his wife, and a whole bunch of his "associates (farmers as well I guess)" We had to move because they wanted the back of the place to themselves. But, to our suprise, not only were they nice about it, but Mr Marcello sent over enough wine to float a boat and when I asked for the tab, they said and I am pretty much quoting here, "fugiddaboudit, Mr. Marcello said that you were pretty good eggs". This is a good thing, because for those of you that have no clue what I am going on about, Carlos Marcello (the Little Tomato Farmer from Placquemines Parish) "alledgedly" ran organized crime in the Gulf South for almost 50 years. It made for a really interesting night and nearly twenty years later, it makes for a great story. There were ten of us there that night and a couple of us were (and are) writers. We have all gotten plenty of milage outta that one.
paul and louise
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 116
RE: Cajun 2003/08/17 18:41:59 (permalink)
boys
the wife made a ham and i left a good bit of meat on that thar ham bone.........
i believe i'll put it in a pot with some beans[red or white]
i'll add some smoked sausage and a goodly amount of the trinity
[heavy on the celery]a lot of garlic and probly more garlic after that
i'll put in some seasoning of course........
and a bunch of green onions
and belive it or not a tbs or so of creole mustard
i'll pull out what liquid is left in the old pot when the beans are done and cook some rice in that
i had best get started cause if you want cajun in ky, you had beast learn to make your own
Rick F.
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1736
RE: Cajun 2003/08/18 03:13:18 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by mek

Rick F.-

"potato-famine shanty Irish"- man, that's rough.

That's nothing: you should have heard him when he was on a roll! A writer by trade, Dad could be colorful when aroused!
flowercat
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 48
RE: Cajun 2003/10/17 11:35:44 (permalink)
*Mosca's .. the mob stories are all true!*

The best thing about Mosca's for me is Oysters Mosca!

The worst .. is driving over the Huey P Long Bridge.
Mayhaw Man
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Cajun 2003/10/17 11:49:47 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by flowercat

*Mosca's .. the mob stories are all true!*

The best thing about Mosca's for me is Oysters Mosca!

The worst .. is driving over the Huey P Long Bridge.

In fact, the best thing about oysters is Oysters Mosca. The moment that an oyster goes into one of those beat up 9 inch cake pans they cook the stuff in is the greatest achievement that one of those tasty bivalves can ever hope for.

There are no valid arguments to the above statement.
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6767
RE: Cajun 2003/10/17 12:06:45 (permalink)
What exactly is Oysters Mosca???
stormycat
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 102
RE: Cajun 2003/10/17 12:52:38 (permalink)
All Hail Ron McFarlin of the Cajun Connection in Utica, IL! It is good to see that others know about the place. My mother and I found it by accident about fours years ago on a trip to Starved Rock State Park, when he was at his old location at the corner of Rt. 6 and 72(?). Cajun food in the Illinois Valley? We were a bit skeptical, but I am so happy we checked it out. And I though Heaven on Seven was the place? Cajun Ron blows them away! My favs are the blackened catfish, soft-shelled crabs, deep fried corn, boudin (mild),red beans and rice, key lime and pecan pies. When ever I go there I get so excited I just wanted to kick all of the tables over. I have this fantasy that I quit my job and move out to Utica and work in that kitchen. I am going out there tomarrow, I can't wait. I usually make the 1 1/2 trip about 6 or 7 times a year. There is nothing better than hiking the park all day and then heading to rons to replace all of the calories that were burned off, and then some! All Hail the King!
i95
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: Cajun 2003/10/17 13:10:57 (permalink)
If you're ever trapped in the nations capitol, there's a great New Orleans joint in nearby Bethesda, Maryland called Louisiana Express (see http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn?node=entertainment/profile&id=793726&typeId=2). It's small. It's off the beaten path. But, boy, if you're in DC on a cold fall day, it's darn good !!
kland01s
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2835
RE: Cajun 2003/10/17 13:33:27 (permalink)
Stormycat, at last! Someone else who has discovered Ron's! We discovered it like you, by accident on the way to Starved Rock. Now when we travel from the Fox River Valley to the mother in law in Peoria, Ron's is always a stop on the way home. We leave full and usually with a few carry out orders to boot. Almost better than the food is Ron himself, a real class gentleman.
Mayhaw Man
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Cajun 2003/10/17 13:38:25 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by lleechef

What exactly is Oysters Mosca???

Glad you asked that! I will be happy to provide you with the basics and when I get home (since I am, theoretically, supposed to be working right now) I will provide you with the specifics....

Oysters Mosca is a Sicilian Creole dish that consists of the folowing:

Oysters
Garlic
Parsley
Black Pepper
Italian Bread Crumbs
Extra Virgin Olive Oil

All of this stuff is thrown together in a very specific order and style and baked in a hot oven. The results are beyond heavenly. Actually, Mosca's is probably my favorite place on the planet. It is truly Roadfood. Located in a run down old bar hard by the road(Hwy 90) in Boutte, LA just across the Huey P. Long bridge, this monument to the better uses of Garlic and Olive Oil has stood the test of time and untold numbers of stuffed, garlicky patrons who made the trip across the bridge to dine on their simple, yet unbelievably complex dishes.

Go there. make the effort. You will not be dissappointed.

Here is good link to further my over the top description

[url][/url]http://www.ucs.louisiana.edu/~jjm9638/dps2001/dining.html

stormycat
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 102
RE: Cajun 2003/10/17 15:47:29 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by kland01s

Stormycat, at last! Someone else who has discovered Ron's! We discovered it like you, by accident on the way to Starved Rock. Now when we travel from the Fox River Valley to the mother in law in Peoria, Ron's is always a stop on the way home. We leave full and usually with a few carry out orders to boot. Almost better than the food is Ron himself, a real class gentleman.

My family has been spreading the word about that place for some time now to folks out here in the chi burbs. My parents’ neighbors are Cajun food fanatics and we took them out to the CC and they were astounded. They were so impressed with our Cajun cuisine prowess that they invited us to go to the Festival International d'Louisanne in Lafayette, LA. We ate our way through bayou country with wild abandon (I gained 9 lbs!) and I will tell you, Ron’s is the real thing. My friends and I joke about kidnapping him and keeping him locked in a kitchen just for our eating pleasures! Hmmm, I wonder what his breakfast spread would be like... Sometimes I am just relieved that the place is such a long haul away, because if I was closer I’m sure someone would find me dead in that gravel parking lot some night with a fried crawdad lodged in my aorta. Oh well, if that happened I’m sure somebody would be happy to steal my slices of pie to go!
kland01s
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2835
RE: Cajun 2003/11/03 13:25:17 (permalink)
stormycat, just visited Ron's cajun Connection yesterday! My friends in St. Charles called ahead an order for me to pick up on my way home from Peoria, got to Ron's and discovered they had ordered (and paid for) $100 worth of food! Now, knowing Ron's prices, you can imagine how much I had to fit into my car, a LOT! Everyone at Ron's is so nice, Ron came out and went over each order and made sure I knew how to assemble the different dishes. Arriving at my friend's house I found that they had invited coworkers who are from the foreign scientist group working and studying through the U of Chicago at Argonne Lab. They were delighted with their first tastes of Cajun food and we had a wide sampling of everything from Alligator to gumbo. On opening all of the containers, we discovered that Ron had included a free pecan pie! I can't say enough about this place, just sorry they are almost 2 hours away!
DinoS
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 128
RE: Cajun 2003/11/22 18:37:33 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Hillbilly

I don't even stop at "Cajun" restaurants east of Baton Rouge, north of Bunkie or anywhere outside Louisiana.

You got that right, Hillbilly.

I ate at quite a few cajun/creole restaurants in Louisiana when I was stationed at Ft Polk in 1969. Developed a lifelong love of the food.

I've never been able to find anything even close in places I lived since then (MI, MA, CA), so I decided to just learn how to make my own. Prudhomme's 'Louisiana Kitchen' is one of my favorite cookbooks.
jmckee
  • Total Posts : 1184
RE: Cajun 2003/11/30 15:41:48 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by EliseT

Mayhaw Man: I swore that sometimes the New Orleanians sounded like New Yorkers and I thought I was crazy! Thanks for at least clearing that up (though it doesn't prove that I'm NOT crazy). We have considered honeymooning in Cajun country, we'll see what happens. I'd like to at least check out the bird sanctuary and Tabasco factory.

jmckee: Tortierre is a French-Canadian savory pie usually served on Christmas eve. It had ground pork and "pie spices" like cinnamon and cloves in it. I can post the recipe when I get home if anyone is interested in trying it.

OK. With Christmas coming--and my boy Ian's mama working, so we're on our own for dinner, instead of our usual Italian post-mass feast--I'm intrigued. It's been awhile since we "talked" about this, but couldja post it, huh, couldja, huh, couldja?

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZE?
EliseT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2880
RE: Cajun 2003/11/30 16:31:32 (permalink)
Oh, come on now, you know you don't have to beg...I think the spices might need a little tweaking...if you use very fresh spices you might want to use less.

TORTIERRE

1/2 lb.lean ground round

1/2 lb. ground pork

1/2 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. each: allspice cinnamon cloves and nutmeg

2 medium potatoes, pared and diced

1 medium onion, finely chopped (1/2 Cup)

9” pastry-lined pie plate plus top crust pastry
(unbaked)

Fry the meat in a 10” skillet over moderately low heat,
crumbling it into small particles with a fork.
When the meat has lost its red color, mix in salt and
spices Set aside.

Boil the onion and Potato in a small saucepan until tender.
Drain (save liquid) and mash, adding enough liquid to have
“mashed potato" consistency. Add to meat in skillet.

Mix well. Spoon meat mixture into lined pie plate. Cover with top Pastry
and seal well. Make Several vents in top crust.

Bake at 425 degrees for 30 minutes. Cool, cover and
refrigerate. When ready to serve, reheat at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Serve
immediately. Don’t fight over the big piece.
kdiammond
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 133
RE: Cajun 2003/11/30 16:37:11 (permalink)
A really great (and historic) Creole cookbook that is still available is the Times Picayune Cookbook. Covers recipies from the 1800's forward. Has lots of interesting historical footnotes and information about Louisiana. Just got a copy at the thrift shop and it is great for reading as well as cooking!
autumneyez04
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 51
RE: Cajun 2004/02/20 18:38:36 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Lone Star

Culture lesson of the day -
http://www.landrystuff.com/creole.htm

Some of our coon*** freinds may take a notion plum being put in the same category as creole!

We like Floyds Cajun shack in Houston, and I wish I could remember the name of this little dive we ate at in Lake Charles, LA....it was the best!

Maybe it will come to me.

I live in Lake Charles. Maybe you ate at one of these??? Harlequin Steaks and Seafood, Jean Lafitte(was so wonderful with fresh baked bread, but they just closed because their children didn't want to take over), Mr. D's On The Bayou, or Steamboat Bills! They are all great with a lively atmosphere!
Lone Star
  • Total Posts : 1730
RE: Cajun 2004/02/20 20:52:38 (permalink)
It may have been Steamboat Bills. I know they made these little rolls stuffed with crawfish etc.. concrete floors and picnic tables.

We stopped by Hebert's Cajun Meats on Richmond here in Houston after work today and I bought some boudin balls, some sausage, and a shrimp dressing stuffed boneless chicken to cook this weekend. She said they had a store in a small town outside of Layfayette - the original store I guess. Can't wait to cook it this weekend.
autumneyez04
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 51
RE: Cajun 2004/02/25 23:07:44 (permalink)
Yes Lone Star that would be Steamboat Bill's with the concrete floors.

My dear friend lives in Houston, thanks for telling me about Hebert's Cajun Meats on Richmond. Can't wait to tell him.

Enjoy the Boudin, wish I had some tonight.
carlton pierre
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: Cajun 2005/03/19 06:09:01 (permalink)
I have 2 favorite Cajun places, but frankly I don't know of too many, even though this food is so good.
One is Crazy Cajun just outside Johnson City, TN on the way to Kingsport. The guy is a Cajun, a fantastic cook, and a fun place to eat, though I have a hunch it can get wild. I've only been there early evenings.
Second place is FatFishBlue in downtown Cleveland, OH.
JAHelgy
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 67
RE: Cajun 2005/03/22 12:09:51 (permalink)
Heaven On Seven IS good, but, my favorite downtown Cajun is at Redfish. (technically-Redfish VooDoo Lounge) YUMMY! They're @ about 400 State St. ..........about a block from the House Of Blues, who, by the way, have the best sauce in Chi Town for their catfish nuggets! ------------Boy, now my mouth's watering!

Good Eating, -----James
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1