Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

CajunKing Finds an OPEN Spudnut Donuts

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 34
CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
  • Roadfood Insider
CajunKing Finds an OPEN Spudnut Donuts Sat, 11/22/08 2:39 AM (permalink)
Have you ever been on a snipe hunt?? Well trying to find a Spudnut Donut shop is like trying to find that D****d SNIPE.

I knew there were 3 in Panama City, Fl in the past 5 years, and that 2 of them are no longer, the third I went to the address and it was now a strip shopping plaza.

Then all of a sudden Granny and I are out on a drive and BAM a spudnut sign, i would have locked up the brakes but there was a huge truck behind me.

I came back the next day and lo and behold

I was cautious, but then I saw that faint glow of neon in the window

I was soon to be in donut heaven

I went to the door.... OH SH*T they close at noon and here it is 12:05.

FOOLED YA.... here you thought I was going to be denied, but just as my heart sank a couple walked out the door and I KNEW it was unlocked.

I quickly went in, oh that heavenly aroma, lightheaded I staggered to the counter and placed my order.

the back of her shirt "Spudnuts the UPPER crust of Donuts"

I didn't have much of a choice but I did have some of my favorites

Sour Cream, Blueberry, Chocolate Cake, Yeast Twist, fried apple fritter, do nut holes

I talked to the girl behind the counter and she said they did have a store further up 23rd street, but they lost their lease and moved down to this location.

Ahhhhhhhhh That is what happened, I told her about my love for Spudnuts, she just laughed at me.

I was so happy to find them still open and still making some of the BEST DONUTS in the world.

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6068
    RE: CajunKing Finds an OPEN Spudnut Donuts Sat, 11/22/08 3:49 AM (permalink)
    Donut heaven,indeed!!!!

buffetbuster

RE: CajunKing Finds an OPEN Spudnut Donuts Sat, 11/22/08 8:44 AM (permalink)
      Hearing about your difficulties finding the Spudnut Shop open, I was thinking maybe Travelin Man wrote this report! Great looking donuts, CK!

Frankman

• Total Posts: 300
        RE: CajunKing Finds an OPEN Spudnut Donuts Sat, 11/22/08 9:25 AM (permalink)
        Are they still made with potatoes?

plb

RE: CajunKing Finds an OPEN Spudnut Donuts Sat, 11/22/08 9:37 AM (permalink)
          Could you taste the difference? I ran across one in Sacramento a few years ago and theirs tasted like regular donuts. I asked if they really used potatoes but they at least pretended not to understand English (most donut shops in CA are ran by Cambodians).

CajunKing

• Roadfood Insider
            RE: CajunKing Finds an OPEN Spudnut Donuts Sat, 11/22/08 12:34 PM (permalink)
            I spoke to the girl behind the counter for awhile and yes this spudnuts still uses potato flour for ALL their donuts.

As far as the taste, the donut holes almost melted in your mouth they were so light. The sour cream donut (which is usually heavy) had a dense but still lighter than a regular s c donut.

The yeast twist was just like the donut holes, extremely light, and just melted in my mouth.

Pancho

• Total Posts: 915
              RE: CajunKing Finds an OPEN Spudnut Donuts Sat, 11/22/08 12:43 PM (permalink)
              Just wondering if possible during your next SPUDNUT photo shoot if you could get some close-ups! See ya, I'm headin' to the bakery for a freshly made chocolate eclair. You devil, you!

iceomat

• Total Posts: 97
                RE: CajunKing Finds an OPEN Spudnut Donuts Sat, 11/22/08 5:19 PM (permalink)
                You picked the exact same ones I would have. Yum!

Tumbleweed365

• Total Posts: 178
                  RE: CajunKing Finds an OPEN Spudnut Donuts Sat, 11/22/08 5:52 PM (permalink)
                  Address PLEASE !!

Ort. Carlton.

• Total Posts: 3589
                    RE: CajunKing Finds an OPEN Spudnut Donuts Sat, 11/22/08 6:45 PM (permalink)
                    CajunKing,
                    Even though I can't eat donuts because of their sugar content, I sure can appreciate hearing about this place. It appears that they're doing fine, but it sure is nice that you reported on them, because now others who happen into that easily-accessible area can check them out.
                    Thanks, man.
                    Holistically, Ort. Carlton in Make-Me-One-With-Everything Athens, Georgia.

mar52

• Total Posts: 7593
                      RE: CajunKing Finds an OPEN Spudnut Donuts Sat, 11/22/08 7:02 PM (permalink)
                      WOW! We used to have Spudnuts in Los Angeles. The last time I went to one only one type of donut used the potato flour. It was round with a little handle to hold it... Kind of like the letter Q.

I loved them.

mar52

RE: CajunKing Finds an OPEN Spudnut Donuts Sat, 11/22/08 9:54 PM (permalink)
                        Well driving home I thought more on the subject of donuts. I have them regularly. I think my donuts with the little handles must have been from Dunkin Donuts. They're also not around here any more.

I'm so deprived!

CajunKing

• Roadfood Insider
                          RE: CajunKing Finds an OPEN Spudnut Donuts Sun, 11/23/08 1:46 AM (permalink)
                          Spudnut Donuts
                          2808 W 23rd Street
                          Panama City, FL

Head west on 23rd past Lisenby Ave but before Beck Ave it is on the right

Closed Mondays

boyardee65

• Total Posts: 1457
                            RE: CajunKing Finds an OPEN Spudnut Donuts Sun, 11/23/08 1:57 AM (permalink)
                            I know of one in Colorado Springs on Old Colorado City Road. It is also in a strip mall with a Safeway and Pizza Hut. Don't know the exact address.

David O.

iqdiva

• Total Posts: 1491
                              RE: CajunKing Finds an OPEN Spudnut Donuts Sun, 11/23/08 7:18 AM (permalink)
                              Don , my hubby Paul would and could inhale those beautiful donuts with incredible zeal... But,he's a diabetic and he loves his feet and eyes more than the donuts !

Tumbleweed365

• Total Posts: 178
                                RE: CajunKing Finds an OPEN Spudnut Donuts Sun, 11/23/08 8:10 AM (permalink)
                                TY

Will make that a planned stop!

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3698
                                  RE: CajunKing Finds an OPEN Spudnut Donuts Sun, 11/23/08 2:07 PM (permalink)
                                  quote:
                                  Originally posted by buffetbuster

Hearing about your difficulties finding the Spudnut Shop open, I was thinking maybe Travelin Man wrote this report! Great looking donuts, CK!

I think the statute of limitations on blaming me for restaurant misfortunes expires when you find a place that is actually open.

ChiTownDiner

RE: CajunKing Finds an OPEN Spudnut Donuts Sun, 11/23/08 3:45 PM (permalink)
                                    TTM - I can be your witness that all stops were open in Chicago!

Cajun - I found a Spud Nut in Bradenton Florida last year! Pretty god find! Nice job as always!

John A

• Total Posts: 4295
                                      RE: CajunKing Finds an OPEN Spudnut Donuts Mon, 11/24/08 7:19 AM (permalink)
                                      Looks like you found your way to donut heaven.

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
                                        RE: CajunKing Finds an OPEN Spudnut Donuts Wed, 11/26/08 8:31 AM (permalink)
                                        Congrats on your find.

Nancypalooza

• Total Posts: 3778
                                          RE: CajunKing Finds an OPEN Spudnut Donuts Wed, 11/26/08 1:03 PM (permalink)
                                          Donut pictures make my toes curl involuntarily. Nice job Donald!

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17801
                                            RE: CajunKing Finds an OPEN Spudnut Donuts Wed, 11/26/08 1:31 PM (permalink)
                                            I haven't hunted snipe in several years. The last time I did my wife got a double.

EliseT

• Total Posts: 2849
                                              RE: CajunKing Finds an OPEN Spudnut Donuts Tue, 12/2/08 2:26 AM (permalink)
                                              "WOW! We used to have Spudnuts in Los Angeles. The last time I went to one only one type of donut used the potato flour. It was round with a little handle to hold it... Kind of like the letter Q."

There is one off of Sawtelle and Vencie Blvd., and one on Reseda and Devonshire in Northridge. I have also seen a few in So Central.

CajunKing

• Roadfood Insider
                                                RE: CajunKing Finds an OPEN Spudnut Donuts Tue, 12/2/08 2:34 PM (permalink)
                                                quote:
                                                Originally posted by The Travelin Man

quote:
                                                Originally posted by buffetbuster

I think the statute of limitations on blaming me for restaurant misfortunes expires when you find a place that is actually open.

TOO LATE, the phrase has made it into our lexicon and YOU my friend are now infamous.

mar52

• Location: Marina del Rey, CA
                                                  RE: CajunKing Finds an OPEN Spudnut Donuts Tue, 12/2/08 4:16 PM (permalink)
                                                  Elise, that's the one... Venice and Sawtelle.

I used to live by Venice and Sepulveda. Went there many times.

mjsneddon

• Total Posts: 230
                                                    RE: CajunKing Finds an OPEN Spudnut Donuts Mon, 12/15/08 6:07 PM (permalink)
                                                    Spudnuts...ah...fond memories.

I grew up in a town called Galesburg in Illinois. There was a place called Elmer's Spudnut Shop at the corner of Fremont and Broad streets - in the 1950s and 60s. I had an early morning paper route and the newspaper would drop my papers off at that corner. Elmer would invite me to fold my papers inside his shop (about 5:00 a.m.) when he was busy making those delicious things! And he always let me have a donut or two before leaving to deliver my papers. I left town about 1965 after graduating from high school. I don't know how much longer it lasted as Elmer's. For several years in the 70s it was a donut shop called "Swedough's".

Nancypalooza

RE: CajunKing Finds an OPEN Spudnut Donuts Wed, 03/4/09 11:20 AM (permalink)
                                                      Oh Donald, I'm here to make you crazy.

Nancypalooza

• Location: Columbia, SC
                                                        RE: CajunKing Finds an OPEN Spudnut Donuts Wed, 03/4/09 5:24 PM (permalink)
                                                        So Donald, that location is on Figueroa St. in Los Angeles.  I was visiting my mother and she was also having a couple of ladies down from Everett, Wash. who were high school classmates of hers.  And it turns out one of the reasons they were visiting LA was to hit an open Spudnuts Donuts, because they had grown up eating them and found all other donuts to 'taste funny' afterward.  I was giggling the whole time thinking about you and your quest for Spudnuts.  Apparently if you had them as a kid, nothing else will do. 

So we were dispatched to pick some up and I'll give you a couple pix:

I really like the toes on the bear claws.  They had these on the menu as croissants but I don't really think so.  The ones underneath were identified by our guests as the true Spudnuts:

This place was pretty funny.  They were selling burritos out of the cooler and had a sign on the door advertising their fax services.  As you can tell from the front, they also have an ATM.  This is very close to Southern Cal, so all that makes sense.

nibiru_3600

• Total Posts: 43
                                                          • Location: Bermuda, TX
                                                          RE: CajunKing Finds an OPEN Spudnut Donuts Wed, 03/11/09 10:34 AM (permalink)
                                                          you guys are soooooooooooo blessed and lucky!

CajunKing

• Location: Live at Saint Clair
                                                            • Roadfood Insider
                                                            RE: CajunKing Finds an OPEN Spudnut Donuts Wed, 03/11/09 1:19 PM (permalink)
                                                            Oh man you are KILLIN me.  I am sweet deprived and you post pictures like that.  I would give anything to have a spudnut close by.  I would even trade our Dunkin Donut and Starbucks.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 34

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com