CajunKing's Adv to the South Pt 1, 2 , 3, 4 & 5

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6352
2007/08/21 00:02:12 (permalink)

CajunKing's Adv to the South Pt 1, 2 , 3, 4 & 5

Well it is time for my annual trip south to visit my father in Florida and do some serious eating/smoking/grilling.

Then on the return trip stop off and see some old friends and hopefully some new (Bhambabe & family) in LA before heading up the Natchex trace and into the heart of the Mississippi Blues Delta, before returning home.

This year the trip is going to be special because of getting to meet some roadfood friends in AL, for dinner & a birthday.

iqdiva & Spouse
Adjuticator & Spouse
The Mayor & Mrs Mayor

I started this trip with mixed emotions and a heavy heart. My MIL is not expected to live much longer, she is dying of cancer. My wife and I discussed it and she said for me to go. I may have to cut short my trip and return home if she passes.

I have been so excited about this trip, not only is it a great annual trip, but on Thursday & Friday I will be cooking/smoking over 400 lbs of sausage.

On Thursday I have an entry for a hot sauce contest we have every year. Last year's wiiner was called diesel fuel. It looked and smelled like it, but had the kick of 10 mules.

Ok enough of the boring stuff onto the roadtrip.

Welcome to KY

The long and boring road (784 miles of it)

Welcome to TN

Welcome to Huntsville, AL (Ok so I missed the welcome sign)
That is a Saturn Rocket that sits right in the rest area as you enter AL going south on I-65.

Finally LUNCH I have been craving Big Bob Gibson's for several weeks.
[url='http://www.bigbobgibsonbbq.com/']Big Bob Gibson BBQ[/url]

BBG's Menu

Today I am going to have the BBG sampler
half slab of ribs, choice of 3 meats & 2 sides for $19.99
Here are the table sauces for BBG's
The white sauce is good on chicken (acquired taste)
The Championship Red Sauce is good on everything
The pepper vinegar is really good on pulled pork

Here is my sampler with brisket, turkey breast, pulled pork & 2 orders of BBG's potato salad

Wow what a boring color meal that was
Here are the ribs

Chocolate pie for dessert

I love BBG's bbq, I always try and go there when I am in the area.
Today however I was not impressed at all.

The ribs were over cooked to the point of being mushy, then on the same rib the end was hard like jerky.

The brisket was cold, it had a decent smoke ring, but know real flavor to speak of.

The turkey breast I love the stuff, but today it was cold and bland.

The pulled pork was also cold and over cooked.

The potato salad was over cooked too and warm.
(it is not supposed to be warm)

I was very disappointed, when I spoke with the manager, i told her what was wrong, she laughed it off and said she would have someone check the temps. No apologies, nada.

I took a comment card and plan on filling it out tonight.

So my meal I have been anticipating for weeks was horrible, I had planned on buying extra pounds of potato salad and pulled pork, but I walked ot with the only thing I enojyed was the pie.

Back on the road, my next stop was at Durbin Farms Fruit Market in Clanton, AL. [url='http://www.durbinfarms.com/']Durbin Farms[/url]

Over the years they have added on to the market, now they have a sandwich shop, bakery and ice cream shop.

I got 1 dip of home made peach ice cream
(made with peaches in the ice cream)
topped with fresh peaches

I am really glad that I did not get 2 dips, it would have put me in a diabetic coma. Those dips were HUGE, bigger than a baseball.

I looked around the market, man o man did their selections look good.

Here are the peaches

Finally back on the road, my next stop for dinner was going to be at Webb's 231 BBQ outside of Ozark, AL

THEY ARE CLOSED on MONDAYs

ok no big deal, I will go to DOBBS BBQ in Dothan, AL

THEY ARE CLOSED on MONDAYs.

So I pull out a peach from durbin farms and munched on it.

Finally getting closer

Here it is 11 pm I have travelled almost 800 miles today, the surf was quietly lapping at the beach. The moon was shining bright and clear over the water making silvery ripples in the waves.

Tomorrow is a busy day

Breakfast at Chef Imondi's
Lunch ????
Dinner with Al & Janet, Joe & Rinda & Iqdiva & spouse at McLin's in Daleville, AL.

More tommorrow, I am tired and going to bed.....

ok so I may check RF some more.

48 Replies Related Threads

UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: CajunKing's Adv to the South Pt 1, 2 , 3, 4 & 5 2007/08/21 00:14:23 (permalink)
    Nice report CK! Enjoy your honesty in the reviews... Safe and happy travels and eats there...

UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: CajunKing's Adv to the South Pt 1, 2 , 3, 4 & 5 2007/08/21 01:13:50 (permalink)
    Oh ya... When ya see the Mayor, shake his hand for me... When ya meet Joe, smack him upside the head for me also... :)~

lostnthemail
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 427
    RE: CajunKing's Adv to the South Pt 1, 2 , 3, 4 & 5 2007/08/21 06:59:29 (permalink)
    Thanks for keeping us posted. I got the pictures down through the bakery shot; then I got the old box with the red "x". Darn!!!

Where are you going to hit in Mississippi & near the Trace? Sounds like you're making a Delta turn. We have lots of unexplored spots on the east side, too. Mary Lou's Biscuit Bar in Louisville, the Ole Country Bakery in Brooksville, Peggy's in Philadelphia, Fleat's in Artesia - just to name a few. You write honest reviews & I'd like to hear your opinion of these spots.

Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5065
    RE: CajunKing's Adv to the South Pt 1, 2 , 3, 4 & 5 2007/08/21 07:32:44 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by UncleVic

Oh ya... When ya see the Mayor, shake his hand for me... When ya meet Joe, smack him upside the head for me also... :)~

ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8317
    RE: CajunKing's Adv to the South Pt 1, 2 , 3, 4 & 5 2007/08/21 07:40:57 (permalink)
    Keep having fun!!Thanks for taking us with you through words and pics..
    John A
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4295
    RE: CajunKing's Adv to the South Pt 1, 2 , 3, 4 & 5 2007/08/21 08:10:08 (permalink)
    Sounds as if BBG's was having a bad day but looks like the Durbin Farm's Market made up for it. Didn't you do a Gumbo contest in MB last year? Have fun, be safe, and keep the news coming.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13476
    RE: CajunKing's Adv to the South Pt 1, 2 , 3, 4 & 5 2007/08/21 08:12:55 (permalink)
    I have stopped many times at the Durbin Farms. Always a great selection and I enjoy their grounds.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    RE: CajunKing's Adv to the South Pt 1, 2 , 3, 4 & 5 2007/08/21 10:20:18 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by John A

Sounds as if BBG's was having a bad day but looks like the Durbin Farm's Market made up for it. Didn't you do a Gumbo contest in MB last year? Have fun, be safe, and keep the news coming.

John

Yes, 2 of my trips south during the year are

Feb = Gumbo Contest
    Aug = Kingfish Tournament
    (well actually I come more for the pre capt's party, the capt's party and the awards party)

lostinthemail

Where ever the urge moves me, your suggestions are helpful, I will have to try some of those places and let you know.

My only definate place I want to see is there in Rosedale. There is a blues place at the crossroads where it is said Robert Johnson sold his soul to the devil at.

Other than that it is where ever the road leads me.

BhamBabe
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 879
    RE: CajunKing's Adv to the South Pt 1, 2 , 3, 4 & 5 2007/08/21 11:20:43 (permalink)
    "Take one more step and you'll be in Rosedale." "Step back, Devil-Man, I'm going to Rosedale. I am the Blues."

Love the pics!

Have a great trip, be careful!
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    RE: CajunKing's Adv to the South Pt 1, 2 , 3, 4 & 5 2007/08/21 11:30:51 (permalink)
    Spouse & I headed to Dothan area about 2 PM today. Will arrive approx. same time as we departed, as time change occurs along the way. We will see all concerned in Ft. Rucker area around 6 PM CDT tonight.

--JDK--
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4724
    RE: CajunKing's Adv to the South Pt 1, 2 , 3, 4 & 5 2007/08/21 12:22:01 (permalink)
    Sorry the meal at Mr.Gibson's was not up to snuff. Enjoyed reading your report.
    Rick F.
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1736
    RE: CajunKing's Adv to the South Pt 1, 2 , 3, 4 & 5 2007/08/21 12:35:19 (permalink)
    GREAT--report, pics, and (as UV, I believe, said) the honest critiques. Come to Natchitoches sometime
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6647
    RE: CajunKing's Adv to the South Pt 1, 2 , 3, 4 & 5 2007/08/21 16:32:20 (permalink)
    Great report and pictures! Be sure to have one of the waitstaff to take one of all you Roadfooders chowing down! Those vegetables were beautiful but the peaches.......heavenly.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7684
    RE: CajunKing's Adv to the South Pt 1, 2 , 3, 4 & 5 2007/08/21 20:57:51 (permalink)
    Great report- CK,

Sorry to hear about your dissapointment with Big Bob Gibson's...See- ya should'ave ordered the chicken!
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    RE: CajunKing's Adv to the South Pt 1, 2 , 3, 4 & 5 2007/08/22 00:41:30 (permalink)
    Day 2 of the adventure
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY

AL THE MAYOR & ADJUDICATOR

I over slept this morning, I was to meet my Grandmother around 9am for breakfast, I got there around 10. We headed to her favorite breakfast place in Panama City, FL.
    [url='http://www.chefimondi.com/home.htm']Chef Imondi's[/url] This place is a real gem, it reminds me of a small cafe in NOLA.

Inside it is a quiet place, to eat and enjoy breakfast. We sat at a table near the PEACE wall, which is a water fall.

It was very pleasant to hear the water ripple down the rocks.
    This is the breakfast menu at Chef Imondi's

I had the Southern Plantation Breakfast, 2 eggs over easy, biscuit & gravy, grits, 2 sausage patties & juice.

Granny got the biscuits & gravy

I forgot to order the chocolate chip belgian waffle or a fresh order of beignets

Chef Imondi's has always impressed me for thier breakfast, simple food at a great price.

The best part of Chef Imondi's is that they are a full service bakery too.

NOTE: the first cake on the left, second shelf, you may see it later

The cookies were warm and fresh the baker was just putting them in the case as we were eating breakfast. She was also putting something else in the case too. Infact it looked so good I had to get it for someone. (hint: Their birthdays are 8-21)

After spending some time visiting my granny, I headed north to Daleville, AL and a meeting of roadfood friends.

Al & Janet (Al the mayor)
    Joe & Rinda (Adjudicator)
    Paul & Susan (Iqdiva)

We met at 5:30 is at McLin's Kitchenette in Daleville, AL

Al & Janet (minus the scotties ), Joe & Rinda, and CajunKing all arrived about the same time. We went in and got a table to wait for Susan & Paul to arrive.

Everyone had their camera with them, we kept taking pictures of the other taking pictures of the other.

So here we are

Al & Janet (Al the Mayor & Mrs Mayor)

Joe & Rinda (Adjudicator)

Paul & Susan (Iqdiva)

After reading the menu

We waited for Paul & Susan to arrive, Al started us off with 2 pounds of crab claws. They were lightly battered and fried, they were great and we devoured them quickly. Paul & Susan arrived in time to help us eat them.

Adjudicator & I ordered a large order of Onion RIngs for an appetizer. The rings were great too, lightly battered and fried almost crisp.

Finally it was time to order, Joe, Rinda & I had the Mates platter which had scallops, oysters, catfish, shrimps, hush puppies, cole slaw, choice of potato.

Paul had the Flounder plate, Susan had the half shrimp plate

JANET had the Captains Platter (All to her self )

ok ok so Al had to help her a little.

We had a great dinner conversation, it was neat to sit and break bread with friends from Roadfood, it was nice to put voices with faces.

We found out that Paul is a MASTER ventriliquist, he was so good he could drink water and throw his voice, he could eat and throw his voice too.. We were all impressed.

Finally dinner was over and it was party time.

I mentioned earlier about Chef Imondi's Bakery and that little something I picked up.

A chocolate cake with raspberry filling, chocolate raspberry mousse topping, with chocolate dipped strawberries & covered in almond slices.

Man o man was that cake good!

After saying our good byes we all headed out in seperate directions. I got back to Mexico Beach, and the first thing I did was to download these photos and post today's adventure.

Susan, The cookies are AWESOME!!!, I snacked on one, during my drive back to MB. the rest are safe for breakfast.

THANK YOU

Al & Janet
    Joe & Rinda
    Paul & Susan

fdm813
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 114
    RE: CajunKing's Adv to the South Pt 1, 2 , 3, 4 & 5 2007/08/22 02:09:27 (permalink)
    This is great! Looking forward to the next edition.
    Frank
    John A
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4295
    RE: CajunKing's Adv to the South Pt 1, 2 , 3, 4 & 5 2007/08/22 07:07:56 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by fdm813

Frank

Me too. Everything looked good but that cake was awesome.
    iqdiva
    • Total Posts : 1491
    RE: CajunKing's Adv to the South Pt 1, 2 , 3, 4 & 5 2007/08/22 08:03:44 (permalink)
    Don,what a great honor and blessing it was to get to meet you,Al & Janet,& Joe & Rinda...Paul & I really look forward to seeing you all again.And,I look forward to cooking for y'all my friend ! We had such an incredibly great time ! Please give our best to your sweet wife and know that our thoughts & prayers are with y'all...Thank you for giving us such a wonderful time...
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    RE: CajunKing's Adv to the South Pt 1, 2 , 3, 4 & 5 2007/08/22 13:22:16 (permalink)
    Good friends and good food. That WAS the menu for last evening. In fact, the world would be a better place if everyone did the same on a regular basis. It was indeed a pleasure to meet all of you great folks last night. While all food was excellent and most delicious, the crab claws were . I haven't had such since years past... Al also informed us that he had never had claws prepared in this way before. Well Al & Janet; now you know!

All in all, this was an exceptional treat that I won't forget. Also as it appears, Don & I both DID get lost in Daleville on the way to the restaurant
    ( )...

It seems Paul & I (along with Susan & my spouse) will soon have an oysterfest competetion here:

www.huntsrestaurant.com

(Forget the "restaurant" part. We will be heading "through the back door" directly to the oyster bar. :)

Regards to All!

Joe 'n Rinda

iqdiva
    RE: CajunKing's Adv to the South Pt 1, 2 , 3, 4 & 5 2007/08/22 13:29:15 (permalink)
    Joe,we had the BEST time !!! But,you better watch out for Paul.....He'll eat his weight in oysters !!!
    I can't wait to see y'all again !
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    RE: CajunKing's Adv to the South Pt 1, 2 , 3, 4 & 5 2007/08/22 14:16:35 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by John A

quote:
    Originally posted by fdm813

Frank

Me too. Everything looked good but that cake was awesome.

It was!

Rinda "negotiated" until she got the "prime" strawberry, also...
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    RE: CajunKing's Adv to the South Pt 1, 2 , 3, 4 & 5 2007/08/22 17:16:47 (permalink)
    Ok here it is Wednesday Day 3,

Today has been a day of rest, I had a hard time sleeping last night, was of & on the phone with my wife most of the night. Things there remain unchanged.

So today was a rest day and a day to spend time with my father.

For lunch we decided to go to a new place here in Mexico Beach, Fl called Mango Marleys.

It recently opened, it is sort of a beach shack hangout kind of place.
    There are surfboards and beach accessories decorating the walls, along with pictures from the 50's-80's of Mexico Beach.

Both of the specials sounded really good, but I would have to check out the menu further.

Dad had tried the oyster po boy, the last time he was in, and said it was decent, but he wanted to try something else this time.

My eyes landed on the crabcake sandwich and I knew what I was going to have.

Dad went with the fresh catch of the day sandwich, which was grouper. A nice 6 oz grouper filet, lightly battered then deep fried, with cajun remoulade.

Here is my crabcake sandwich, with seasoned cajun fries

The sandiwch was about 3/4 of an inch thick and almost 6 inches round, was made with a moist "stuffing" like mixture to which LOTS of blue crab meat (+ a bit of shell ) went into. Lightly pan fried.

It was heavenly!

For dessert our server reccommended the house special lime breeze pie. It is a spin off of Key lime pie, but lighter more airy. It was a mix of extreme tartness and sweetness, perfectly blended. I was hooked on my first bite.

Tonight is going to be quiet nightat home, Dad & I are going to saute up 10 lbs of fresh bay scallops for dinner. YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

CajunKing
    Sirloin
    RE: CajunKing's Adv to the South Pt 1, 2 , 3, 4 & 5 2007/08/22 19:39:56 (permalink)
    It is with a heavy heart I post this message.

At 5:02pm est (8-22) my MIL lost her battle with cancer, it was a long struggle and she had been in considerable pain leading up to the last few days.

We kept her comfortable and as pain free as we could. I will miss her very much, but I am glad her battle is over and she is in no more pain.

Thank You All

For your thoughts and prayers

Sincerely

Donald Lee Frantz
    CajunKing

ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8317
    RE: CajunKing's Adv to the South Pt 1, 2 , 3, 4 & 5 2007/08/22 19:53:46 (permalink)
    Besides the wonderful pics of food and reviews, what a wonderful treat to place names with faces of friends here at Roadfood.Glad you all enjoyed breaking bread together, and one of these days you will see me at one of your meet and greet-that is not a threat, that is a promise!!!
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6647
    RE: CajunKing's Adv to the South Pt 1, 2 , 3, 4 & 5 2007/08/22 20:10:55 (permalink)
    Our prayers are with you and your family, CK. I'm sure your MIL is in a much more peaceful place right now.

I was just getting ready to post about your trip and pics......but I'll go ahead anyway. Glad you Roadfooders had a good time together. The pics are beautiful but the most fun is meeting each other.

Again, God bless you and your family.

Lisa and Zman
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10083
    RE: CajunKing's Adv to the South Pt 1, 2 , 3, 4 & 5 2007/08/22 20:37:49 (permalink)
    CajunKing-
    Sorry to read about your loss. My condolences and prayers to you and your family.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    RE: CajunKing's Adv to the South Pt 1, 2 , 3, 4 & 5 2007/08/22 20:44:20 (permalink)
    Don, my new compadre: My heart is with you. I know the pain as I have been there before only a few short years ago with my father. Like your MIL, both are in a better place by now. To your wife and yourself; please accept my celebrations for a life obviously well lived. I think U know what I mean.

God Bless. Joe and Rinda
    iqdiva
    RE: CajunKing's Adv to the South Pt 1, 2 , 3, 4 & 5 2007/08/22 20:44:55 (permalink)
    Don,Paul & I are so sorry to here of your loss...Please know that our hearts and prayers are always with you.
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3900
    RE: CajunKing's Adv to the South Pt 1, 2 , 3, 4 & 5 2007/08/22 20:45:19 (permalink)
    Donald, I am sorry for your loss. I am also glad that you are having a wonderful trip otherwise. You can feel good that she is comfortable now.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1